AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-03-31, 03:53   Link #1
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

As far as I know, Gundam Unicorn marks Sunrise/Bandai’s first attempt at an animated adaptation of pre-existing Gundam material (in this case, a novel). This will open a new possibility of other pre-existing materials such as novels, short stories, mangas, or heck, even games to be adapted into an animated feature whether it’s an OVA series or TV series. Don’t you find it interesting? Imagine if, after Unicorn, Sunrise is to adapt Gundam Sentinel, Advanced of Zeta, Ecole du Ciel or the highly anticipated adaptation of Origin manga. That will be very interesting.

As for you? What’s your opinion on this? What do you think is the best pre-existing materials for Sunrise to adapt after Unicorn? The “best” here means that it has a strong appeal to Gundam fans in general so that it’ll be well-liked and profitable to the company, thus makes it “commercially possible” to adapt. Of course, it’s not just limited to the UC universe. If there are other materials from other Gundam universe that you think has a lot of potential to attract viewers when adapted, you can mention it here too (eg. Astray mangas from SEED). For each title you mention, please add some explanation of what form is the best for the adaptation (OVA or TV) and why it will be a good material to adapt so that we can discuss it here, as well as enlighten those who are still unfamiliar with the material of your choice.

Ok. With this, I hope we can have a good discussion.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-03-31 at 11:58.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:12   Link #2
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Don’t you find it interesting?
To be honest, no. I had hoped that Gundam would resist this trend of adapting the works of other source materials.

I've never been too fond of the inevitable comparison that will be made between the anime and the source material. (That's part of the reason why I'm staying away from the Unicorn threads until the last episode is released.) I also prefer having all the audiences finding out the story together as opposed to having some knowing the general story before others.

But, regardless, I believe The Origin seems to be the accepted next adaptation in Gundam. After that, (assuming they're continuing with this travesty ) it should probably be the F91-related manga series (Crossbone?) since people seems to favor them.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:43   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
To be honest, no. I had hoped that Gundam would resist this trend of adapting the works of other source materials.

I've never been too fond of the inevitable comparison that will be made between the anime and the source material. (That's part of the reason why I'm staying away from the Unicorn threads until the last episode is released.) I also prefer having all the audiences finding out the story together as opposed to having some knowing the general story before others.
Well, of course being an adaptation has that particular downside, but I think it will be very limited to some forums. It won’t be a problem for those who don’t give a damn about internet forums. So I think the benefit of adapting a pre-existing good story will far outweighs the negatives (especially if we talk commercially). Unicorn already proven it by it being one of the most best-selling OVA series ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
But, regardless, I believe The Origin seems to be the accepted next adaptation in Gundam. After that, (assuming they're continuing with this travesty ) it should probably be the F91-related manga series (Crossbone?) since people seems to favor them.
As for the Crossbone mangas, one thing is for sure: they need to overhaul the character designs for the animated adaptation since they are way too cartoony .
Old 2013-03-31, 12:47   Link #4
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Even with the differences between the source material and the adaptation, U.C. stories are always well-received, so further adaptations of U.C. stories will do well regardless.

AU stuff? Not so much.
Old 2013-03-31, 20:55   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

After Unicorn and AGE new project, I really hope that Sunrise keep their promise and make Origin their next TV series so that the younger generation will have easy acces to it. At the same time, they can release OVA series chronicling Shin Matsunaga’s story which can be adapted from the various mangas to further please UC fans like me . I think that Zeon commander is pretty popular among UC fans due to his badass combat skill coupled with badass mono-eye Suits.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
AU stuff? Not so much.
I would argue that Astray can be a hit series if they make the story and the characters less over-the-top . It can work, especially if the CE Remaster get good sales and reception.
Old 2013-03-31, 20:58   Link #6
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I suppose so, but it'll still turn the fandom once more into an epic bitch-fest. More of one than a U.C. adaptation would cause, that's for certain.
Old 2013-03-31, 21:31   Link #7
Skye629

Isn't there copyright issues with stuff like Sentinel? I remember reading/hearing something about that, I would love a Sentinel OVA

Cant wait for Origin, its a very good opportunity for everyone, old and new fans
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:37   Link #8
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Even with the differences between the source material and the adaptation, U.C. stories are always well-received, so further adaptations of U.C. stories will do well regardless.

AU stuff? Not so much.
I don't think just any UC story will work... Only the UC stories that take place in 0079 or related to characters and fractions from First Gundam typically do well. Other stuff are simply not marketable - that's the reason for going AU in the first place.

Which is why I think Origins will be the last adaptation... Both UC and Origins were heavily hyped, much more than any other manga or novel adaptation out there, so they are special.
Old 2013-04-07, 13:18   Link #9
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

We all know Gundam 0079 was supposed to have 50-51 episodes but instead only got 43, that's why I really think Origin got an adaptation in the first place. I do hope they don't go on a adaption spree and adapt G Gundam or the first 25 episodes of ZZ.
Old 2013-04-07, 16:19   Link #10
Kirayuki

Quote:
As for you? What’s your opinion on this? What do you think is the best pre-existing materials for Sunrise to adapt after Unicorn?
I would like to see Hathaway Flash animated. Chronologically, this should be the next U.C stuff to go after Unicorn.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 16:55   Link #11
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

While I know there's a 0.1% chance it happens, I'd love to see After War Gundam X: Newtype Warrior Jamil Neate adapted into a two or three-episode OVA. I've never actually read the manga (haven't been able to find a translated copy floating around on the web), but I'd love to see one of the best characters in one of the most underrated series get an OVA.
Old 2013-04-07, 20:43   Link #12
AHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
I would like to see Hathaway Flash animated. Chronologically, this should be the next U.C stuff to go after Unicorn.
http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/...l#.UWIhldm6U13
AHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:03   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just to make your post clearer, AHT :

Hathaway's Flash events debuts in Gundam Unicorn Episode 7

"Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash" is the series in which Xi Gundam appears. The series took place in U.C.0105, about 9 years after Gundam Unicorn. In Episode 7, some elements from that era is scheduled to make an appearance"

Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash was a series of three Gundam novels written by Gundam-creator Yoshiyuki Tomino from February 1989 to May 1990. They chronicle the later life of Hathaway Noa, the son of Bright Noa, twelve years after the events of the second Neo Zeon movement as seen in Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack. The novel featured four new mobile suit designs by Moriki Yasuhiro, the mechanical designer of Hades Project Zeorymer.
In Hathaway's Flash, Hathaway Noa is still haunted by his past actions (not to mention the spirit of deceased Newtype Quess Paraya), joins a terrorist organization called Mafty and adopts the false name "Mafty Navue Erin". The organization Mafty is fighting a terrorist campaign against the Earth Federation government, and they are eventually able to acquire the incredibly powerful prototype Ξ Gundam, which Hathaway becomes the pilot of. Using the Ξ Gundam Mafty attempts to attack a meeting of high-ranking Federation cabinet members in Adelaide, Australia to force them to vote down a provision which would strengthen the Federations already considerable powers.
As a point to note, this novel focuses on a version of events chronicled in creator Yoshiyuki
Tomino's novelized form of Char's Counterattack, rather than his animated movie version."

A very nice surprise indeed. Now that the novel is written by Tomino himself, the chance of it being adapted is likely higher, no? And Xi Gundam is one helluva Gundam!

Btw, Hathaway’s pilot-suit reminds me of those UN pilots in Macross universe .
Old 2013-04-07, 21:09   Link #14
Kirayuki

For all we know, it may be just a teaser happening in ep.7 of UC and the anime project itself will never be announced.

I will refrain from expectation at least until they confirm the plan for adaptation just like Origin.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:15   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Yep, I know. It might be just some kind of a "teaser" or a "preview". But, as this thread's title told you, we can speculate here .
Old 2013-04-07, 21:34   Link #16
Skye629

Quote:
^ Yep, I know. It might be just some kind of a "teaser" or a "preview". But, as this thread's title told you, we can speculate here .
It would be nice if they did do an anime for it though, cuz it would tie in chronologically

And I agree about the pilot suit resembling the macross ones XD
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:59   Link #17
Zantetsuken

Another high production value OVA? WHY THE HELL NOT YEAAAAAH
Old 2013-04-08, 21:09   Link #18
Zeydra
A random passerby

I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Hathaway's Flash gets an ova adaption. Unicorn has been one of the hottest things from the Gundam franchise since Seed was airing, so I think we might see more of these uc side story adaptions in the future.
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 09:03   Link #19
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Hathaway's Flash wasn't expecting that, though the ending is really sad.
Old 2013-04-11, 09:31   Link #20
Destined_Fate

Hathaway dug his own grave and he killed Chan in CCA when all she did was try and save him and help Amuro.

For that he should have suffered greatly.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote