Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-14, 23:43   Link #1
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Suggestions for someone who lost interest in anime

"I am loosing interest in anime..."

Oh damn, my old thread got wiped out in the crash... well, the title of my previous suggestion thread was like that, I was really losing interest completly, so I came here for you guys to help me, and unfortunately it didn't work out that well, because I really lost interest for a long time, so much that I had no idea that Death Note was getting a series. This recent development has made me again interested in new shows, but Im totally clueless about which are them! Ill try to describe as precisely as possible my tastes to make your suggestion process easy.

Series and movies I liked:

All Ghibli: No need to explain here really, they are just too good for words.

Saint Seiya is the best period!: Anime and manga I like are more on the shoujo side I guess, Im really not into many of the popular anime, shows with an excess of fights or cute girls, and their overused plots. Despite that my favorite series of all time is definately this one, which was the Naruto and Dragon Ball of its time, but my love for it is for nostalgic reasons more than anything (not saying the show isn't good because it really is, and I love the soundtrack, is a time travel to j-rock from the eighties ).

Monster: I like great stories above all, so one of my favorites series was this one, it was simply amazing, I really like shows like that, with a more serious tone and intruiging plots full of suspense, not to mention it had some heart warming moments that I liked

Last Exile: I loved this one, but I have to admit it didn't had the most spectacular story, it was full of holes and didn't seem very cohesive at all, so don't think Im a snob regarding the storylines, I can like shallow things too, the music and art were great, and sometimes thats enough for me to like it, and also the "flying" theme of the series is a favorite of mine.

Angel Sanctuary: Again, I got into this manga because of its amazing art style, which I love and adore, the story was ok, but for me the style was what draw me, this I guess can be called one of my "shallow" series as well.

Gilgamesh: It had a great premise, unfortunately the animation wasn't good, but I liked the art style, very unique, and the mood was really great. The story took long to pick up but by the 8th episode I was hooked, and I loved its "WTF" ending.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust: Again I love its gothic mood (Im sure you are already seeing a pattern here ), great movie overall, I really wish I could get the novels but they are kind of hard to come by.

Now as a guy who likes guys don't be afraid to suggest me anything yaoi related , of course that doesn't mean I like everything the genre has to offer, as I initially thought. Yami no Matsuei blow me away, but Loveless never was able to caught my attention, and there was also this other series with a blue-haired guy and a red-haired guy where the blue-haired had some sort of double personality which as you can see, was so uninteresting for me that I even forgot its name. In the other hand I love Kyo Kara Maou, that series was hilarious (I still have to finish it though).

So sorry for the long post and thank you very much for taking your time to read it, its ok if the anime you suggest is unlicenced or not, but it would be preferable if it is, so I can check it out more easily ^_^
Old 2006-10-15, 00:09   Link #2
Scorch

You didn't really specify a genre, but I'd suggest you check out Welcome to the NHK and Honey and Clover.

Welcome to the NHK is about a social recluse who has paranoid delusions and talks to his household appliances. It's intelligent and funny at the same time.

Honey & Clover is about a group of friends growing up, as some graduate college and get jobs and so on. It's a slice of life anime with a lot of introspection, so it's not especially fast moving. If you like more mature anime and don't mind the lack of action, it's really powerful.
Old 2006-10-15, 04:36   Link #3
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I totally second Scorch.
Old 2006-10-15, 05:44   Link #4
Shay
Monarch Programmer

mantidor: Try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Old 2006-10-15, 05:46   Link #5
Trance
Translator In Despair
*Fansubber

From your list, I would suggest watching Trinity Blood.
Old 2006-10-15, 08:16   Link #6
MamoruUsagi

For a realistic romance, Marmalade Boy is 76 episodes.

The manga is Fushigi Yuugi is great, the couple are boyfriend and girlfriend during the series and get married. The manga is 18 volumes and a lot longer than the anime. Fantasy and romance. The manga is a lot better than the anime, as it is longer.

The manga of Ayashi no Ceres is good, fantasy, romance, sex, love. The anime cuts out so much from the manga, all the emotion, romance and wonderful scenes. The manga is great, don't watch the anime.

The manga Mars is very deep, dealing with rape, sex and other serious issues.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou is a series you might like.

Kare First Love, a completely different series from Kare Kano is good.

You might like Kaikan Phrase and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
Old 2006-10-15, 11:40   Link #7
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

My opinion for Last Exile is pretty much the same as yours. Thus far the only series I have found that gives me the same feeling of the joy of flying and has great music and art (although the art of Last Exile is admittedly better) is Simoun so you might want to try this one. It actually shares the problem of holes in the plot with Last Exile, too. Unfortunately, it has quite a lot of yuri undertones and flat out relationships, so if you are bothered by this you will probably have to skip this one.

The art of the new Gonzo series Pumpkin Scissors is very similar in style to that of Last Exile but the series is just starting so not much to say about the plot and the characters.

If you want suspence, I would recommend Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, its major drawback that it ends before things are revealed and the art quality varies wildly. But it has a nice horror mstery atmosphere and the plot is full of twists.

Old 2006-10-16, 16:30   Link #8
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Thanks for all the suggestions ^_^

Scorch, I didnt specify a genre because Im completly open to any of them, Im fond of gothic horror and suspense, but that doesn't mean I won't check out a romantic or comical series if its good. Good quality and interesting stories are enough to make me interested.

Oh and its perfectly ok if it has yuri undertones, so Simoun is a good suggestion ^^.

Thanks again!
Old 2006-10-16, 19:00   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

I'm going to uselessly offer another vote for Scorch's suggestions just because I was also losing interest in anime for a while and Honey and Clover is really what brought me back, while NHK (and some others) is what keeps my interest going. Definitely reccomended.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2007-11-22, 21:54   Link #10
mantidor
the Iniquitous

I wish I could change the title, its not just a lost in interest, I lost completely any touch with anime! damn, I was going to try the suggestions and I find out there's already a Honey and Clover II, so I guess the first part is already licenced!

So I got a message indicating my PM box was full which made me come back, and the fond memories came, I was really active in the forum a long, long time ago, and I watched a lot of anime, but I gradually lost interest, the few times I came back I got this (probably wrong) impression that now every anime is about little girls, which just doesn't interest me and honestly disturbs me a little.

But Anime as a medium is huge in its variety and genres so I know I can find something I would like, so here I've decided to revive the thread ^_^.

To make it easy I should really point out a genre instead of leaving it open, so I would really like some suggestions in horror/suspense or anything around those lines to start, but don't feel limited by that, its just a guideline, so if theres this awesome fantastic new drama series I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks for your time ^_^
Old 2007-11-22, 22:21   Link #11
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I second NHK, but since your a fan of things gothic and suspenseful you absolutely MUST watch Gakutsuou. Most suspenseful series I've ever seen and based on the classic gothic novel The Count of Monte Cristo. A seriously amazing series.
Old 2007-11-22, 22:28   Link #12
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Hmm, well obviously Higurashi is horror/suspense/mystery and so on, so you should check that out if you haven't already. Ghost Stories is supernatural and suspensful, very good show overall, I loved it. Ghost Hound is a recent one that just started and has a mystery/supernatural thing going on.

As for other awesome stuff that you should check out, right at the top of the list is Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. It's mecha (don't be put off if you don't like mecha though!) and has so much epic concentrated awesome that it's very nearly dangerous Absolute must-watch show.
Old 2007-11-23, 00:31   Link #13
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I definitely second Higurashi. Particularly the currently airing second season, which is doing an exceptional job of tying up all the mysteries.

For something that is currently airing, I recommend Ghost Hound. It's based on a work by Shirow Masamune and has a fittingly creepy atmosphere and intriguing mystery.
Old 2007-11-23, 01:15   Link #14
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Location: Let me look outside... Where the hell is this place?Oo
Send a message via AIM to rooroobearr
D. Gray-man (lovING it) and Code Geass (lovED it)
Old 2007-11-23, 01:24   Link #15
RosenMaidenShinku

I think you would like Ghost Hound its new it only has about 5 episodes out
Old 2007-11-23, 02:19   Link #16
Grimmer

I think you might like Whitch Hunter Robin...
Old 2007-11-23, 04:36   Link #17
Vanamonde

If you are tiring of "anime", the questions what kind?

Lot's of drama. Drama can drain you.

Try a comedy. Like the laughter restore you.

Me, I love the Excel Saga. Or The Legend of Black Heaven, especially if you are a older rock'n'rocker like me.

My thoughts - your mileage will vary.
Old 2007-11-23, 10:03   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you want to watch something unlike anything you've ever seen, try Mononoke. Extraordinary artwork, deep, disturbing stories, and one of the best male leads ever.

You might want to browse my signature for a couple of other recommendations; you'll notice that Monster is among them.
Old 2008-01-08, 21:43   Link #19
mantidor
the Iniquitous

I wanted to update into this so you don't think I ignored your suggestions just too much work, I barely had time at all.

I watched Ghost hound and it kind of bored me for some reason, however Mononoke was pretty awesome, I will check more into your signature.

Again thanks to everyone for the suggestions ^_^
Old 2008-01-09, 00:11   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Glad you enjoyed Mononoke! Here's something else you might like: Baccano! Combines American gangsters in the 30's with demons and immortality. The other rather unusual current series in Moyashimon about a young college student who can see microbes.

I've watched all of the subbed episodes of Ghost Hound so far. I think it's lovely to watch and listen to, but the story has been a bit slow going.
Closed Thread