AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-21, 20:35   Link #1
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Question about SATA devices and WinXP

Okay, i want to ask you if it OK to have all SATA device (SATA HDD and SATA DVDRW) for WinXP? Will there be any installation problem (like it won't read the disc because there's no SATA DVDRW driver or such)?

Currently someone is asking me to built a PC with that kind of configuration, will it be OK? Or can you suggest me another OS that runs well on that configuration? Well, i don't want to take any chance so i'll ask you guys first...

Note : Processor will mostlike be 64X2 with SATA mb and DDR2 (Haven't decided yet)

Thanks before...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 20:51   Link #2
jpwong

Windows can use it's online search to try and find drivers, and if all else fails, you can ussually just goto whoever makes the item in question and download the driver installers strait off the net.
Old 2007-08-21, 23:01   Link #3
problemedchild
ô_ô

You could load the SATA drivers on to a USB key and go from there.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 23:02   Link #4
Calawain
Gaijin

If you are talking about building a PC from scratch and you are having trouble with Windows XP setup recognizing the drive you may need to put the device drivers on a floppy. I don't recall if I had to do that on my most recent built PC with the newest version of XP, but I know I had to do it every time I reformatted with my older PC. I had the drivers from the manufacturer and put them on a floppy (obviously using another PC). Then during windows setup it asks you to hit F6? to load SCSI or other drivers so hit F6 and it will load them off the floppy.

Edit- I am assuming the problem is with a SATA hard drive in my explanation, I have yet to use SATA optical drives because my IDE ones work fine and I'm too cheap to buy new drives if the old ones work.
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 23:12   Link #5
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
If you are talking about building a PC from scratch and you are having trouble with Windows XP setup recognizing the drive you may need to put the device drivers on a floppy. I don't recall if I had to do that on my most recent built PC with the newest version of XP, but I know I had to do it every time I reformatted with my older PC. I had the drivers from the manufacturer and put them on a floppy (obviously using another PC). Then during windows setup it asks you to hit F6? to load SCSI or other drivers so hit F6 and it will load them off the floppy.

Edit- I am assuming the problem is with a SATA hard drive in my explanation, I have yet to use SATA optical drives because my IDE ones work fine and I'm too cheap to buy new drives if the old ones work.
Yes, that's what i'm talking about. So FDD is really needed? Any alternative for that?

For your edit:
I've experienced that before, installing XP sp2 and the SATA HDD didn't detected but the RAID driver from floppy solves all that. And yeah, what i really want to know is what'll happen if i use SATA optical drive...

Edit-didn't noticed problemedchild's post
Well, but XP request that the driver is on a FDD...

Last edited by Furuno; 2007-08-21 at 23:41.
Old 2007-08-22, 00:31   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Currently someone is asking me to built a PC with that kind of configuration, will it be OK? Or can you suggest me another OS that runs well on that configuration?
You could try a Linux distro. I think I heard something about Ubuntu not supporting SATA DVD drives, but I can't find anywhere that clearly states that. At any rate, I'm sure some distro will recognize it.

However, being the machine for another person... I'd personally recommend installing XP with a regular IDE drive, and then replacing it with the SATA one once the OS is installed. For the HDD you'll have to do as stated and insert a floppy disk with the drivers.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 01:12   Link #7
problemedchild
ô_ô

You can use an USB device before going into Windows.

This site might help

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-22, 09:24   Link #8
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
You could try a Linux distro. I think I heard something about Ubuntu not supporting SATA DVD drives, but I can't find anywhere that clearly states that. At any rate, I'm sure some distro will recognize it.

However, being the machine for another person... I'd personally recommend installing XP with a regular IDE drive, and then replacing it with the SATA one once the OS is installed. For the HDD you'll have to do as stated and insert a floppy disk with the drivers.
Well if it's for me, i'd definitely go with linux, but this is for another person that not quite computer literate, so XP would be the best choice...

I'll try your suggestion by using an IDE optical drive first (oh man, i don't want to open up my cases again, it's so messy ).

Note : anyway i'll go to other city for 3~5 days where there's hard to find internet connection so maybe i'll ask again after i'm back... Thanks for the answers...

Old 2007-08-22, 20:29   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess I've just been lucky in mobo selection... whether XP can deal with SATA or not seems to depend on the mobo presenting it as an option to XP. My game machine is a pure SATA system running XP. I'll have to pop it open to remember which mobo it was (AMD Athlon 64 based board).
Old 2007-08-22, 21:17   Link #10
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I guess I've just been lucky in mobo selection... whether XP can deal with SATA or not seems to depend on the mobo presenting it as an option to XP. My game machine is a pure SATA system running XP. I'll have to pop it open to remember which mobo it was (AMD Athlon 64 based board).
I have this same experience. I can see a problem with older boards that were transition boards between SATA and PATA. However, Windows XP seems to be able to get installed on a SATA drive without adding extra drivers. Perhaps the best would be to ensure that your copy of XP Install has a slipstream of SP2.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 02:30   Link #11
Gundam Master

Send a message via AIM to Gundam Master
I think that if you have Windows XP SP2 the install should be fine, and you wouldn't need any extra drivers.
Gundam Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 09:06   Link #12
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

If you have an older version of your Windows install disk, you can use that original disk and a copy of SP2 and slipstream it to make a new OS CD. You can use this program - NLite to make that disk.
Old 2007-08-23, 10:39   Link #13
Farix

If you are using an older copy of XP, here are instructions on how to slipstream SP2 and create a bootable installation CD.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 20:01   Link #14
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Okay i'm finished installed it. I'm using WanderingKnight recommendation and use my ATA DVDRW for installing and replace it with the SATA ones later...

@Vexx :
Would be great if you can remember what mobo is it... (I want that...)

Old 2007-08-26, 21:22   Link #15
ShadowVlican

WinXP SP2 retail disk installs perfectly fine on my sata drives (Asus A8N-E)

i didn't need to F6/Floppy anything
ShadowVlican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 22:14   Link #16
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowVlican View Post
WinXP SP2 retail disk installs perfectly fine on my sata drives (Asus A8N-E)

i didn't need to F6/Floppy anything
I agree... This process was simplified with this step.
Old 2007-08-26, 22:20   Link #17
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Well, i know that already... What i really want to know is SATA optical drive before any OS is installed...

Old 2007-08-26, 22:51   Link #18
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Well, i know that already... What i really want to know is SATA optical drive before any OS is installed...
Sounds like a BIOS issue. There should be a way to set it so that the bootable order selects the SATA optical drive.
Old 2007-08-27, 14:39   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Correct, your mobo BIOS should have a Boot Order menu. If it doesn't offer a SATA drive as an option after one is connected ... especially if it has SATA connectors, my advice is to use it for target practice and go get a properly implemented mobo.
Old 2007-08-27, 15:43   Link #20
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Correct, your mobo BIOS should have a Boot Order menu. If it doesn't offer a SATA drive as an option after one is connected ... especially if it has SATA connectors, my advice is to use it for target practice and go get a properly implemented mobo.
Oooh.. I like you...

Does the OP happen to know the manufacturer or the board?