Notices

Old 2007-03-16, 18:36   Link #81
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
Anise didn't seem to get too much development...
I agree that Luke's development from brat to the end was magnificent. I honestly can say that this is one of the few cases that I've went from downright hate for a character to respect.

As with all other Tales games, love the battles. Comboing is just plain fun. ^^
Anise is just your hardcore gold digger

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 05:30   Link #82
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

If you look up Youtube for Tales of Abyss sub, you can find some original Jap version skits with subs. The VA for em are pretty popular ^.^ you ll find some very familiar voices for em.

Anise is already one of the strongest girl in the group, she's an independent soldier/guardian, the best cook, versatile artes (tho i prefer to use Luke, Guy, Tear and Jade), big ambition and emotionally strong. And funny as hell (tho Jade is the funniest guy for me).

Tho, there IS an unexpected twist in Anise's background story.
Spoiler for Anise:
Old 2007-03-17, 15:46   Link #83
Goldsickle

Meanwhile, Anise's underwear remains a mystery.
Goldsickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 08:43   Link #84
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Symphonia is the most popular tales game. Go to any video game forums and you see massive amounts of posts and threads on them. Like the GameFAQs/Spot forums, it was so big that it needed split boards.
OT

*Sigh* It's a personal opinion when you said this.

From all the sites I have visited (those which are related to Tales Series or Video Game other than Gamefaqs, especially in Japan) those who thinks Abyss as the best Tales Game from all Tales Series is quite large. Its fanbase among both fangirls and fanboys or Game otakus in Japan is more than Symphonia. Hell, even Famitsu, the most greedy in term of scoring game magazine, ranked Abyss in Top 50 in its Best Game Rankings.

Character-wise, Abyss wins hands down. Even if the vote's mainly voted by fujoshis, there are quite a lot of fanboys who adore Abyss characters better than Symphonia, mostly because of the development they got. Abyss characters are more likable because of their flaws which seems more humane and the way the development is executed.

GameFAQs have a lot amount of post which are double, mainly asking for the game walkthrough in the last pages. Some of them were stuck because of the Japanese Version for both platforms (especially PS2 users), so digress there.

(Btw Jade got his position because he is awesome. You can't deny that one. Most male fans voted for him as the best male character in Abyss Female fans also adore him period.)

Last edited by Natsuki Hyuga; 2008-10-12 at 08:49. Reason: Adding Male for confirmation :P
Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 08:52   Link #85
kujoe
from head to heel

I found Symphonia's characters to be more "kiddy" especially the main leads, but I suppose that has to do with the game's graphic style as well.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 08:52   Link #86
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightangle
Likable is extremely subjective, even if it's true that the general internet opinion of Abyss's cast is "wow what an unlikable cast."
Its not, I assure you that Abyss had superior fanbase, both from male and females alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara
Symphonia is the most popular tales game. Go to any video game forums and you see massive amounts of posts and threads on them. Like the GameFAQs/Spot forums, it was so big that it needed split boards.
It was popular because back then Gamecube was in a desperate need of an rpg unlike ps2. It was like the ONLY good rpg in the cube. You have to asses the situation back then.

Oh and Jade had a far considerable of male fanbase instead of female ones...
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 08:56   Link #87
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
OT

*Sigh* It's a personal opinion when you said this.

From all the sites I have visited (those which are related to Tales Series or Video Game other than Gamefaqs, especially in Japan) those who thinks Abyss as the best Tales Game from all Tales Series is quite large. Its fanbase among both fangirls and fanboys or Game otakus in Japan is more than Symphonia. Hell, even Famitsu, the most greedy in term of scoring game magazine, ranked Abyss in Top 50 in its Best Game Rankings.

Character-wise, Abyss wins hands down. Even if the vote's mainly voted by fujoshis, there are quite a lot of fanboys who adore Abyss characters better than Symphonia, mostly because of the development they got. Abyss characters are more likable because of their flaws which seems more humane and the way the development is executed.

GameFAQs have a lot amount of post which are double, mainly asking for the game walkthrough in the last pages. Some of them were stuck because of the Japanese Version for both platforms (especially PS2 users), so digress there.

(Btw Jade got his position because he is awesome. You can't deny that one. Most male fans voted for him as the best male character in Abyss Female fans also adore him period.)
OT (since theres really nowhere else to talk about this...)

Famitsu's quality has gone down as of late. They gave good scores to terrible games lately.

Anyway, the general consensus I've gotten from the two major western boards. IGN and GameFAQs, is that they all more or less hated Abyss.

Whatever development the characters had (to me) felt forced and contrived.

I do admit that its a personal opinion. Maybe, I fell too much in love with the ToS cast that it formed a standard for other tales games from there. (actually this might just be the case) So, I'll stop here before I go into how much I hate guys in belly shirts.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 09:00   Link #88
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:

Famitsu's quality has gone down as of late. They gave good scores to terrible games lately.

Anyway, the general consensus I've gotten from the two major western boards. IGN and GameFAQs, is that they all more or less hated Abyss.

Whatever development the characters had (to me) felt forced and contrived.

I do admit that its a personal opinion. Maybe, I fell too much in love with the ToS cast that it formed a standard for other tales games from there. (actually this might just be the case) So, I'll stop here before I go into how much I hate guys in belly shirts.
For what I can tell (someone told me), here in france, the hardcore nintendo fans think ToS is the best, but almost all the others people who played it think TotA is better ^^
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 09:06   Link #89
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
For what I can tell, here in france, the hardcore nintendo fans think ToS is the best, but almost all the others people who played it think TotA is better ^^
I'm a fan by series not console, so I get whatever console the games I want come on.

I fell in love with ToS when I first played it in E3 04. And Presea and Sheena simply catched my heart <3 lol
Old 2008-10-12, 09:09   Link #90
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:

OT (abt Famitsu, that is :P)

You can say what you want about Famitsu, but it still remains as one of the way to mark whether a game is good or not. Plus 2 years ago, it is still good if you ask me: they give mostly fair judgment about games.

Strange... All I see in Western Board is :

"I hate Luke. He is *insert bad personality here*"

None ever say Abyss is a bad game or hated it. Most of them (I say most because I realized some still like him) like other characters in Abyss better than Luke. (This is quite an opposite of Japanese/some Eastern Fandom though, probably because most Westerners are more rational in Character Judgement? )

Old 2008-10-12, 09:12   Link #91
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
OT (abt Famitsu, that is :P)

You can say what you want about Famitsu, but it still remains as one of the way to mark whether a game is good or not. Plus 2 years ago, it is still good if you ask me: they give mostly fair judgment about games.

Strange... All I see in Western Board is :

"I hate Luke. He is *insert bad personality here*"

None ever say Abyss is a bad game or hated it. Most of them (I say most because I realized some still like him) like other characters in Abyss better than Luke. (This is quite an opposite of Japanese/some Eastern Fandom though, probably because most Westerners are more rational in Character Judgement? )
lol, I know what you mean XD

Despite my parents being immigrants I'm still an american. My cousins overseas are mostly anime viewers so I can't get their opinions on a game, but their views are extremely different from mine in many cases. Like I can't stand Haruhi, but they simply adore her.

Anyway, you have to admit that Abyss was ridiculously easy, and the last boss was a freggin joke.
Old 2008-10-12, 09:17   Link #92
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
Anyway, you have to admit that Abyss was ridiculously easy, and the last boss was a freggin joke.
Spoiler for Spoilerish in a sense:

Old 2008-10-12, 09:29   Link #93
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Spoiler for Spoilerish in a sense:
I think after like 20 something PT's on ToS, TotA was a breeze. Abyssian in ToS was a bitch and a half though. Especially on Maniac.
Old 2008-10-12, 09:40   Link #94
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
I think after like 20 something PT's on ToS, TotA was a breeze. Abyssian in ToS was a bitch and a half though. Especially on Maniac.
Tales Games are pretty much, in a sense, if you can master the system, you can do it. Ratastok is a prime example for me. I never master the battle system since language barrier comes to my face. I think Symphonia System is easier, since it was not yet developed like in Abyss. Doesn't mean that I don't like Symphonia battle system though.

But then again, I hate the fonon platform system in TOA since it was quite a hassle for me to step in the area and execute the arts to execute another skill.

Agh... Abyssian... I have to agree that it was not a battle that want to be remembered. I don't want to talk how I lost by accident in that battle that I have to repeat the bloody damned fight again

Old 2008-10-12, 09:43   Link #95
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Its not, I assure you that Abyss had superior fanbase, both from male and females alike.
Actually, I did say 'internet voices.' I am aware the some communities are far more rational and amiable to Abyss than 'some' others.

Especially the English speaking ones like Gamefaqs and 4chan which thrive on 'Abyss sucks, Luke sucks, everyone is unlikable, etc etc is a bitch, character development doesn't excuse the cast acting like dicks, etc' conveniently ignoring the whole theme and point to the game.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 09:46   Link #96
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

The fonon platform system was pretty easy for me to get the hang of.
But in terms of boss fights I found Neblim to be harder then Abyssian
Though I did play TotA first
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Especially the English speaking ones like... 4chan which thrive on 'Abyss sucks, Luke sucks, everyone is unlikable, etc etc is a bitch, character development doesn't excuse the cast acting like dicks, etc'
Generally when something is bashed on 4chan that means they like it... ie Code Geass on /a/ and Type Moon on /jp/
Old 2008-10-12, 09:48   Link #97
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Tales Games are pretty much, in a sense, if you can master the system, you can do it. Ratastok is a prime example for me. I never master the battle system since language barrier comes to my face. I think Symphonia System is easier, since it was not yet developed like in Abyss. Doesn't mean that I don't like Symphonia battle system though.

But then again, I hate the fonon platform system in TOA since it was quite a hassle for me to step in the area and execute the arts to execute another skill.

Agh... Abyssian... I have to agree that it was not a battle that want to be remembered. I don't want to talk how I lost by accident in that battle that I have to repeat the bloody damned fight again
Did you play Abyss first or Symphonia?

Symphonia came first, and Abyss' system improved on Symphonia's, by allowing multi-axis movement, rather than being linear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Actually, I did say 'internet voices.' I am aware the some communities are far more rational and amiable to Abyss than 'some' others.

Especially the English speaking ones like Gamefaqs and 4chan which thrive on 'Abyss sucks, Luke sucks, everyone is unlikable, etc etc is a bitch, character development doesn't excuse the cast acting like dicks, etc' conveniently ignoring the whole theme and point to the game.
And what is the theme and point? If the plot and characters suck... what other reason do you have to continue?
Old 2008-10-12, 09:49   Link #98
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Not for me. Platform system is not really my mastery. I hate having to set up the platforms and then the enemy has already out of my range of attack when I reached it.

Neblim is far more harder than Abyssian, that I can agree. (Though I'm more frustrated at Abyssian since my defeat at his hand )

Quote:
Did you play Abyss first or Symphonia?

Symphonia came first, and Abyss' system improved on Symphonia's, by allowing multi-axis movement, rather than being linear.
I played Symphonia first and I do know that. I already told you that fonon platforms are my major weakness, while in Symphonia I pretty much get a good hang of the gameplay.

Old 2008-10-12, 09:49   Link #99
NoLongerSane

Lol, I know what you mean with the battle with Abyssian from TOS until if found out about certain infanite combo's that you could use from certain characters. As for the hidden boss on TOA, on the two hardest setting, I was hit with every (an I mean every) special tech that could be used. Especially at the beginning of the fight, where she uses that big bang special to eat up your HP.

Also, how many of you had a hard time with the cameos in the colosium on the higher settings?
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 09:53   Link #100
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Abyssian gets easier when your characters are lvls 200+ with 30 of each heal items and whatnot.

I tend to never use Raine after my first playthrough. It makes the game more difficult, and I never play under Maniac mode.

I managed to solo Abyssian with every character (but Raine) on maniac mode... man that was hard... Especially with the characters I have little experience with controlling. But then again, I'm a ToS fanatic, and I'm gonna ooze with fanboyism when ToS2 comes out next month.