JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

I'm curious

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-17, 10:17   Link #1102
careph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Such a scene like that would be great, but I think that it'd go against her character established in the manga (it's her partner that carries a katana).
Pretty much yes, as she hasn't moved on at all, at least at that time. Furthermore …

Spoiler:

Quote:
Have you ever felt anger or irritation towards someone who did things like cut you off in traffic? Normally we'd never act on those emotions because of societal norms, fear of punishment, and/or because we're not sadists. However, if you remove all of those barriers, it becomes a lot more possible to do so.
I think I understand your point. But don't you also agree that we mostly do still act on these emotions, just not on an eye-for-an-eye basis? Everyday life would be pretty boring without all the little enmities, subtle fights and nasty acts of revenge. But that's going off-topic...

You're citing external restrictions only, and Yomi didn't really care about any of these even before she succumbed to Kazuhiro's offer. After all, she killed Mei for personal, selfish reasons, acting out her emotions, notwithstanding possible repercussions.
Her internal constraints however, were intact all the time until her death, otherwise she wouldn't have shed any tears over her victims and she wouldn't have felt guilty to the point where she attempted to take responsibility by committing suicide.
I can't see that the stone changed her behaviour concerning inhibitions.

Quote:
The reason why I'm so adamant on this point is because it speaks to one of the central themes of Ga-rei Zero. Yomi isn't, and cannot be, just a victim in this affair. Instead, the evil that she propagates is strongly derived from her own dark impulses. And thus she had to also be an active participant in breaking free of the death stone's influence.
I'm not sure the theme you are talking about was even intentional, but it's certainly there and could do with a proper explanation. The point we're both so adamant on can also be explained with a simple amplification theory. After all, you can't amplify something that wasn't there from the start. The inhibition nullification theory is certainly an interesting one, but I think it conflicts with the original material (see above).

Quote:
To further underscore this point, we already saw what happened when Mei failed at this.
Did she even try? I think her original intentions and goals didn't conflict much with the stone's nature, so there wasn't much need for her to rebel in the first place. She failed at luring Yomi into a trap and acting out her revenge and died as a result. I don't see a reason for her to break free here. Quite the contrary, she was disappointed that the stone ceased serving her via its regeneration abilities.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense given how closely they matched up. By not taking advantage of her opportunities, Yomi would have risked getting defeated, and that would run counter to the self-preservation directive.
Yomi did forgo more than one opportunity to kill Kagura, you yourself affirmed that she didn't go for maiming or killing blows when she could've easily finished Kagura off.

Quote:
It shouldn't be a matter of the stone's "intelligence"; everything it does thought-wise should be dependent on the affected person's own consciousness.
Exactly, that's why it was able to prevent her from committing suicide yet it was powerless against her staged suicide scheme.
But then again there is also a scene in the woods in which Yomi complains about losing her consciousness again (i.e. the stone taking over). This would also be canon with the manga material, so all we're talking about here could just be inconsistent nonsense, merely there because the production team wanted to spice things up but didn't think it out.

Quote:
What Yomi did to thwart this was to overcome the death stone's influence, and her own dark impulses. That's what raises the story from a tragedy to a minor triumph.
That point of view is heartwarmingly cute, and it put a smile on my face
But in the end, cui bono?
Yomi dies, Noriyuki runs away as always, Kagura becomes the hidden dream of many a twisted psychologist.
She may have won the battle, but the war is inevitably lost. The small triumph only adds another dimension to the tragedy.
That's what could have made Ga-Rei Zero fundamentally different from other series: There's no hope, no salvation, no future to look forward to. It's a struggle to exist and hide whenever possible, as living would be simply too painful. Without the closing apotheosis, it could've been quite realistic, really
careph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 14:11   Link #1103
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by careph
You're citing external restrictions only, and Yomi didn't really care about any of these even before she succumbed to Kazuhiro's offer. After all, she killed Mei for personal, selfish reasons, acting out her emotions, notwithstanding possible repercussions.
The only external restriction in my list is the fear of punishment. And she didn't care about these factors when considering Kazuhiro's offer because she was too caught up in the moment of self-pity and anger. That doesn't mean that she would never be affected by them under normal circumstances; especially since all normal people do so (hence why most people obey the law). Killing Mei is a good illustration of this because it was such an extraordinary act, and that Yomi had to be pushed to the very edge before going to such extremes.

Quote:
Her internal constraints however, were intact all the time until her death, otherwise she wouldn't have shed any tears over her victims and she wouldn't have felt guilty to the point where she attempted to take responsibility by committing suicide.
I think that the more likely explanation is that this was a sign of her true nature trying to recoil against the death stone's influence. Her trying to commit suicide is perhaps less an attempt at atonement than that it was the only thing she could do. I wouldn't be surprised if both elements were in play.

Quote:
I'm not sure the theme you are talking about was even intentional, but it's certainly there and could do with a proper explanation. The point we're both so adamant on can also be explained with a simple amplification theory. After all, you can't amplify something that wasn't there from the start. The inhibition nullification theory is certainly an interesting one, but I think it conflicts with the original material (see above).
In that case, I think that we're pretty much on the same track; the difference just being where the onus of responsibility lies. On the bit about the theme, it's almost certainly intentional given how well directed Ga-rei Zero is.

Quote:
Did she even try? I think her original intentions and goals didn't conflict much with the stone's nature, so there wasn't much need for her to rebel in the first place. She failed at luring Yomi into a trap and acting out her revenge and died as a result. I don't see a reason for her to break free here. Quite the contrary, she was disappointed that the stone ceased serving her via its regeneration abilities.
Unless Mei was completely faking her confusion and dismay before she died, she must have tried fighting against the influence of the death stone at some point.

Quote:
Yomi did forgo more than one opportunity to kill Kagura, you yourself affirmed that she didn't go for maiming or killing blows when she could've easily finished Kagura off.
My point is that it would be one thing to avoid harming Kagura as that would be fighting against the influence, and another to do so as a result of the influence. The latter would be paradoxical, so it's on the unlikely side.

Quote:
Exactly, that's why it was able to prevent her from committing suicide yet it was powerless against her staged suicide scheme.
It's simply enough: The death stone has a limited scope of capability, and Yomi's strong enough to exert a tiny bit of independence.

Quote:
But then again there is also a scene in the woods in which Yomi complains about losing her consciousness again (i.e. the stone taking over). This would also be canon with the manga material, so all we're talking about here could just be inconsistent nonsense, merely there because the production team wanted to spice things up but didn't think it out.
That's unlikely as the rest of the show is thought through very carefully. That attention to detail is one of the main reasons why Ga-rei Zero is as good as it is. Canonicity (or more accurately, continuity) isn't too much of an issue since it's not inconceivable that later death stones work a bit differently from the ones in Ga-rei Zero.
Old 2009-07-18, 13:34   Link #1104
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Can't we petition for the producers of Ga Rei Zero to continue a story based off of Ga-rei zero? GRZ is much more popular (and better) than the regular GR series (IMO at least, and from what i gather online). It is just more fitting with the darker tone...and i feel if they are to make another season, they can't continue following the GR manga, have to make their own (with permission of author of course) path like GRZ, otherwise it might not turn out watchable...

I just feel like GRZ is popular enough, and profitable enough for them to make another season.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 15:53   Link #1105
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

They could always follow the manga, but make it darker like Zero but still kept the humor.
Old 2009-07-19, 11:54   Link #1106
careph

Quote:
The only external restriction in my list is the fear of punishment.
You also cited societal norms, but I guess you're right, as that's just two sides of the same coin.

Quote:
And she didn't care about these factors when considering Kazuhiro's offer because she was too caught up in the moment of self-pity and anger.
I wasn't talking about the scene in the hospital at all. I was arguing that Yomi was very emotional from the start and that inhibitions didn't work with her all too well before she was given the stone. She was no normal human with normal values to begin with. That's part of what made her an appetising target. She had her own odd set of morals (incidentally coming close to the classic Greek ideal) and couldn't care less about possible punishment or the infraction of societal norms. That's why inhibition nullification wouldn't make much of a difference for her, as she acts on her emotions naturally in extreme situations.

Quote:
I think that the more likely explanation is that this was a sign of her true nature trying to recoil against the death stone's influence.
That's another take on the issue and it's equally valid but it sounds unnecessarily victimising. Different impulses were at all times fighting for dominance over her body, so her true nature was present at all time.
And it still doesn't explain why she cried when torturing Kazuki.

Quote:
Her trying to commit suicide is perhaps less an attempt at atonement than that it was the only thing she could do. I wouldn't be surprised if both elements were in play.
Well, she could've swallowed her damned pride and self-pity for once and asked for help. I doubt Kagura would have gone out to kill her, had she known Yomi was still alive and struggling.

Quote:
Unless Mei was completely faking her confusion and dismay before she died, she must have tried fighting against the influence of the death stone at some point.
I think that's an over-interpretation. She simply didn't want to die, so begging for her life was the most logical course of action. At that point, the stone had already forsaken her, so it's quite redundant do rebel against something that has lost all its interest in you, don't you think?

One could also argue using a fundamentally different hypothesis: After Kazuhiro had placed the sesshouseki in Mei's chest, a single blue butterfly took flight from her body. Given that butterflies represent the human soul, it could mean that the real Mei was already dead and her soul detached from her body. Then, all that drove the stone were lingering emotions and intentions. In the long run, that alone wasn't sufficient, so it malfunctioned. In that case, her reaction prior to her death was nothing but a feint.

Quote:
My point is that it would be one thing to avoid harming Kagura as that would be fighting against the influence, and another to do so as a result of the influence. The latter would be paradoxical, so it's on the unlikely side.
I see. Though I would be more cautious with that last sentence. Yomi's relationship with Kagura was highly paradoxical. She loved her as a little sister (and possibly as the kind of person Yomi would've liked to be) but at the same time envy turned to hate over the alleged fact that she would never be able to achieve what true heirs like Kagura could. And then there's the hospital chaos for good measure.
The paradoxical aspect makes the theory more likely, not less, as the stone sets free tendencies (either by inhibition nullification or amplification) that were typical of the individual in question, thus resulting in the ambiguous encounters we see in the anime.

Quote:
On the bit about the theme, it's almost certainly intentional given how well directed Ga-rei Zero is.
Quote:
That's unlikely as the rest of the show is thought through very carefully. That attention to detail is one of the main reasons why Ga-rei Zero is as good as it is. Canonicity (or more accurately, continuity) isn't too much of an issue since it's not inconceivable that later death stones work a bit differently from the ones in Ga-rei Zero.
I can't support these sentiments.
When it is so well thought through then why is Ranguren portrayed to be so much more powerful and handy than Byakuei even though the latter is supposed to be the strongest spiritual beast?
Why do we see Kagura's father on the verge of exhaustion when trying to fuse with Byakuei yet Kagura only needs to put it in her earlobe when she inherits it, skipping the large-scale ritual?
There were a few other things that bugged me back then, but I forgot most of them over time.
Lots of stuff seemed either misplaced, random, forced or vague to the point of redundancy.
I wouldn't mind that much if Ga-Rei Zero was merely a bonus for fans of the original material, but as a stand-alone spin-off I expected more explanations and lore consistency.
Especially compared to what Ei Aoki did with the first Kara no Kyoukai movie, the direction was rather lackluster with a few deceptive strokes of genius.
Old 2009-07-31, 04:50   Link #1107
Kino karutta-chan
Watashi no taisetsuna??

Send a message via ICQ to Kino karutta-chan
@Miroku

It would be watchable, but I don't think that many people would watch it ;/

---

You aren't talking about the current chapters of Ga-Rei?? Did you drop it??

Well, I really hope, that the real Yomi will be back, but I am not sure, if that will be possible.
Kino karutta-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 11:12   Link #1108
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here's an Ask John article from AnimeNation if GRZ will ever get a US release.
Article
Old 2009-08-14, 15:21   Link #1109
Kanzaki Urumi

I wish to see the butterfly guy dead. Annoying like hell.
Kanzaki Urumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 15:25   Link #1110
darkmaster074
------

they must make s2 for this nime
darkmaster074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 04:02   Link #1111
klare

the ending already connected to the starting of the manga, s2 following manga?

maybe they can tell an older story like how they able to capture that white beast or that lion in the katana

no matter how they do it, Yomi will not be shown (as human form)...
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 05:05   Link #1112
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmaster074 View Post
they must make s2 for this nime
Spoiler for manga and anime marketing tactics:

"People die when they are killed" ? No, my friend... some people refuse to stay dead. IMO Yomi is like the Tarrasque.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 20:20   Link #1113
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Ga-rei Zero is really a great anime, I enjoyed it a lot. I should start reading the manga as well
Old 2009-09-10, 13:44   Link #1114
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Files of the 4th Division, Chapter 7

Nice to see some feedback from the show despite the show having a short run. I did a fanfic on the 4th Division. Here's their latest chapter though. A slice of life-type one though.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 21:56   Link #1115
Nita
Ñe~

What is the date release of Ga Rei chapter 47? I just read the manga and I'm stunned D:
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 17:54   Link #1116
Ansalem
Speaker

I just finished watching this and I have to say I was very impressed. Having started the show without any previous knowledge about it or the manga, the first episode certainly gave a nice "WTF moment" at the end. The characters were compelling and well written, and it built to a nice end. The last show was a bit anticlimactic, ending in the middle, but it makes sense as it is only a prequel (which took me to the last episode to realize, despite having zero in the name >>) I am hoping they will continue the anime based on the manga sometime in the future. It seems a fair amount of people were generally unimpressed by the manga, which makes me a bit worried. However, it seems a bit unrealistic to think they would set the end of Zero at the start of the manga if they were going to make more original plot anime. Hopefully the same team would work on a manga-based continuation and inject the same skill that made the prequel so enjoyable into adapting the plot for television.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 01:57   Link #1117
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Wow just finished this and the last episode confused me:

Spoiler for Last episode:
Old 2009-10-01, 02:25   Link #1118
careph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
Wow just finished this and the last episode confused me:

Spoiler for Last episode:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-10-01, 02:59   Link #1119
juyokka

a little coment
Ga-Rei_Zero!
GREAT ARTWORK
and YOMI & KAGURA
Super KAWAIII!
juyokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 03:24   Link #1120
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
My points:
Mei did try to fight against the stone's influence. But her will wasn't as strong and her desires were dark and selfish. She wanted Yomi to die by fighting against an evil spirit. Afterall it's probably only the matter of time. But that never happened. But she never wanted to do such things like killing Naraku and else. Without the stone she would've waited maybe even for all eternity for her chance.

Yomi: she had it bad and tragedies occour with her again. First of all I would doubt many people could resist the desire to kill somone after they playfully claim to have killed the person's own father and even describe how she tortured him. Especially if they have the Alibi. Afterall that person is possessed somehow. And eliminating evil spirits is her responsibility. So in the end she was caught in it.

And probably because of her growing dark side and her extreme circumstances that she was resigned to the Death Stone. It was explained that the Death stone releases every inhibition the person had. For example if somone pisses her off she can't hold her anger back, or when she has resentment towards anyone she wants to kill him/her. Same with jaelusy. Perhaps it means the same to love. She had absolutely zero desire to kill Noriyuki that's why she left him alive. It was a bit different with Kagura. She was jaelus of her skill, her family line, and her happyness. And perhaps she loved her like her own blood-related sister. In the end the later one was triumphant and she let herself killed by Kagura.

But maybe the Death Stone has somehow it's own will too. And it enchances the person's malacious impulses. That's why the Yomi we saw in the manga was a different one and was almost fully evil.
So in short when Kagura's mind died the Death Stone's will took over. But I guess the death Stone's own will is relatively weak or at least weak compared to the willpower of an exortist's.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen