AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-06, 18:52   Link #1
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Darksiders

Hi,
just a few days ago, Darksiders was released on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.
It seems to be some kind of mixture of The Legend of Zelda and God of War.
I heard about it the first time today, and looked it up on gamerankings.com, where it has a great overall rating of about 87%.
After watching a few reviews I decided to get the game. So, has anyone already played it and can share a few impressions? That'd be great.

For those who haven't heard about Darksiders yet, here's a review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1hqBgNvljI

Last edited by ZGoten; 2010-01-06 at 19:06.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 00:32   Link #2
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

This game is awesome. One of the best action adventure games I have ever played. It defenitly feels like a combination of Zelda/God of War (fast paced bloody combat with cool finishers, combined with the dungeon exploring, puzzle solving and adventuring/collecting aspects of Zelda) but it manages to stay fresh and new feeling, instead of just feeling like a blatant copy. I love the various characters a ton as well. War is just bad ass looking, and I love the design of the Angels in this game as well. Gotta say though, my fav character so far is the Watcher. Mark Hamill doing the voice acting for him is just so awesome (and I'm glad he went with his "Joker" voice, as it suits the Watcher very much)

This is likely one game I will play through a bunch more times after completing it.
Old 2010-01-07, 01:54   Link #3
paladinenvec

Havent bought ityet, but from what i have seen, the Mature Zelda style looks really appealling to me...
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 06:08   Link #4
Westlo
Lets be reality

Picked it up today on the Ps3 since I heard the 360 version has excessive tearing. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks the goods from what I've seen.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 08:12   Link #5
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

gotta wait until im done with Bayonetta and Army of Two before i can get it. It definaly has the Zelda/GoW look like you all say XD

the character also looks like he's gonna be Kratos/Link which = total bad ass
Old 2010-01-07, 09:18   Link #6
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Impulse buy the local special edition of this title (which comes with a foiled poker deck featuring the various characters from the game,as you can see) today.

Tried it out for an hour or 2 now and it definately has that Metriod/Zelda feel as new skills and toys to get to new levels. Enemy's does not come it very huge waves nor do they rush at you until you are closeby as far as I can see.

Some how the camera seem to close up and focus on you during combat when you target a specific grunt, narrowing your view of the horizon and makes you an easy target of backstabbings.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 09:31   Link #7
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Picked it up today on the Ps3 since I heard the 360 version has excessive tearing. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks the goods from what I've seen.
Yeah there is some screen tearing present, however it doesn't detract from the game at all. I barely notice it at all most of the time.
Old 2010-01-07, 12:11   Link #8
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

has darksiders beaten Bayonetta in the terms of"best action game" yet?
Old 2010-01-07, 13:13   Link #9
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
^Well, I guess Darksiders is quite different from Bayonetta, and DMC for that matter, since it has more Adventure elements and is not as action-oriented as those kind of games.
Old 2010-01-07, 13:27   Link #10
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

I'm in the second dungeon right now and enjoying it a lot. For whatever reason though it reminds me more of Metroid Prime than Zelda and GoW (never played GoW), though surprisingly few reviews mention Metroid.
Since I heard it's kind of short and easy, and more of a one-time thing if you decide to explore on your first playthrough I decided to start on Apocalyptic instead of Normal, and so far I don't regret it. It's harder, but not frustrating even though I died around 20 times already.

Oh, but a few things in combat irk me.. like Dodge and Block being on the same button. ._.

IGN US must've smoked pot again for giving this a 7.8 while UK and AU gave it a 8.9 and 9.0.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 16:00   Link #11
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
^Well, I guess Darksiders is quite different from Bayonetta, and DMC for that matter, since it has more Adventure elements and is not as action-oriented as those kind of games.
Exactly, it's more a beefed up mature Zelda that looks like Warhammer, its combat can't compare to stuff like Bayonetta/DMC/NinjaGaiden. It's not meant to...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 16:21   Link #12
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

ah, thought it was a action game like GoW, glad its diffrent

anyone else notice the MC's voice actor? it sounds a lot like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vovXa9e52f4
Old 2010-01-10, 01:25   Link #13
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Just finished. A nice ride (heh) it was.
Spoiler for Ending:

However, I hope they improve some points in the sequel(s).

- Jumping should be more responsive when around cliffs etc. I have never died so much from falling to my death in any game other than Darksiders.

- Even on Apocalyptic, with all legendary Enchantments (2 normal missing), Abyssal Armor and all Artifacts, I finished the game before the 21 hour mark which, for my taste, is extremely short. Either make the sequel longer or add more replay value.

- The story really kicks in only at around halfway through the game. The end and general second half (which basically consists of nothing but backtracking and collecting stuff) however feels already rushed again.

- Final boss is extremely easy and rather disappointing in terms of mechanics etc.

This really could be the start of an awesome franchise, and I hope the sequel is already in the works.
Off to Bayonetta now.
Old 2010-01-10, 07:17   Link #14
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
I'm thinking in getting this game but I just wanted to check if there are other three Apocalypse characters in it? This doesn't influence my choice to pick it up, I'm simply informing myself because on other trailers I hardly see any other characters so I want to see who carries the story.
Old 2010-01-10, 10:20   Link #15
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

If with "other three Apocalypse characters" you mean the other three horsemen, then..

Spoiler for About them:
Old 2010-01-10, 12:06   Link #16
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
If with "other three Apocalypse characters" you mean the other three horsemen, then..

Spoiler for About them:
*cough* sequal *cough*
Old 2010-01-10, 15:15   Link #17
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Thats a shame, well I hope the game sells good enough for sequel to arrive. I even heard rumors that live action could be made based on this peace of work.
Old 2010-01-26, 05:47   Link #18
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

loved the game, and i completely agree with the stuff said above. the ending was a tease. but it was a dark version of zelda and as the teenager i am, i loved it. hope they improve the difficulty of the boss battles in the sequel as i found some of the random spawns were much harder then the bosses. anyway it is a good start to what should be an excellent franchise

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 21:17   Link #19
Wrath88
Kissing...

Will get to it after Bayonetta. However, I'm having trouble with dodging atm.
Old 2010-02-13, 05:21   Link #20
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Been playing this game and I love it, well its hard not to like it because it takes elements from one of my most beloved games (Zelda) and combines it with one of the games I desire to play most (God of War).

If there is a sequel I think it will probably be multiplayer (4 Horsemen = 4 Players) or you get to pick which horsemen you get to play and if it was me I would like to play as death.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote