AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > KonoMini

Notices

Old 2004-04-07, 00:07   Link #41
lordlucless

Can we start a petition for Animesuki to list it under Thie Ugly and Beautiful World? My Japanese sucks, and I can't remember long foreign words and I is getting all confused
lordlucless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:17   Link #42
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

AnimeSuki will list it the same as the fansub groups. If a bunch of fansubs groups give it an english file name then we will change it. Otherwise you are stuck with the Japanese. We only mirror the zeitgist.

Don't petition to AnimeSuki. Petition to the fansubbers.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 00:33   Link #43
Mistwrath
Always confused . . .

Well, this series from Gainax seems to be promising, the artwork of the characters are still common to me. Seems to me that it is going to be another hero saves the girl plot again, well, at least it is a new series in town. So thanks to gainax for giving us another reason to stay home lol
Mistwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 01:01   Link #44
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davFunereal

Well, bumping it over is fine too. This Ugly and Beautiful World is listed as Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai. The only version as I write this is A-E & A-Keep.
Ah thanks because I was looking in the T section and could not find it.
Old 2004-04-07, 01:16   Link #45
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Just sw ep 1. I have to say thi series has a lot of potential. Still it could also go the other way and suck. I believe it will be good, as I've yet to see a gainax series I didn't like.
Old 2004-04-07, 01:24   Link #46
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, it seems as Hikari becomes Takeru's "perfect girl" and girlfriend, her other half Akari becomes Ryou's "perfect girl" and girlfriend? I guess there could be a duel between teh friends in the end to decide the fate of humanity... Shinji vs. Kaworu?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 05:02   Link #47
wao
OK.

Well, I thought some aspects of it certainly were stylish...

1. The animation
Okay, so it wasn't obviously WOOOOOO THAT IS AWESOME, but it was actually good in the subtle sense. Like NoSanninWa described, the way they animated Takeru's "transformation" really gave a good strong impression of his raw strength. Yeah.

2. OP
Well, it wasn't as nice as my favourites like Venus Say and The Light Before We Land, but it was almost there ^_^

However, there are some odd things...

1. Storyline
It's just the first ep, so I'm being biased here... but I was almost SICK of the show until it came to the part where Hikari gave that evil look to the monster. For christ's sake. What a dead-typical plot. I know, that a lot of series that have this very basic premise turn out to be great, but I just couldn't stand it. Gaaaaaah. Hopefully it's like KGNE where the first ep was dead boring and later it got better. I almost wanted to kill and torture Hikari because she was being so stereotypical and stupid and useless, until that monster thing - heh, that was a rather big "hmm" when I saw that.. I'm hooked for the next episode at least to see what's behind that expression! Just for that only though...

2. Characters
Ryou's actually kind of nice. You don't see guys like this a lot... I'd like to know more about him too... but Takeru really is very, very boring... oh well.

3. Character design
This is really quite personal, but I wasn't fond of those character designs. Looks rather sterotypical. You know when Hikari was first opening her eyes? I liked them 1/2 to 3/4 open, it looked really nice. But when it was fully opened it looked too big. I dunno.

4. "Fanservice"?
Heh, this is nowhere as bad as lots of series out there, but I was wondering if it was on purpose or what... you know, butt shots, naked-Hikari-shots (I suppose that couldn't have been avoided so that's okay), Hikari-wearing-the-sweater-but-bottom-of-her-butt-still-exposed-in-that-crater-thing shots... of course, I'll say it now that I wasn't really griping about it: not because I was turned on by it (I wasn't, really o_o; ) but it wasn't too obvious and some of it wasn't really that intentional so yeah...

It could have potential... not as exciting or cool or interesting as I hoped it to be, but it's okay. It could very easily suck though. We'll just wait...
Old 2004-04-07, 07:42   Link #48
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb81
Na, "the theme" was obvious. And since Gainax made series like Evangelion, you have to expect more from a anime title as "This Ugly and Beautiful World".
Like I said, this might be animated by GAINAX, but none of the creative staff working on this worked on Evangelion. So you really can't judge an anime from its company and a show they did ten years ago

I do agree that it might turn toward an Eva-resque direction though. And the fan service? Eva had tons of that too.
Old 2004-04-07, 07:50   Link #49
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
2. Characters
Ryou's actually kind of nice. You don't see guys like this a lot... I'd like to know more about him too... but Takeru really is very, very boring... oh well.
Well, I'd say Takeru is one of the more interesting male lead in animes for me. And it's very rare for me to like an anime male lead. However
Spoiler for very first scene:
Old 2004-04-07, 08:25   Link #50
MrBrown

Yes... I've seen this "girl plays good but is really evil" plot in alot of h-games.

The girl is the ideal woman for the lead male, and he completely falls for her. The girl twistes the guy around his little finger and uses him or whatever she wants, while playing the innocent girl. Then, in the end her evil nature is revealed along with her oh-so terrible childhood. The lead male, still in love with her, tries to 'save' her from her evil nature. He half-succeeds, and there's a bittersweet ending. All the fans of the girl go mad cause she was just a fake.

I kinda liked parts of the 1st ep, so I hope this series won't end up as above.
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:06   Link #51
Kensuke

First episode didn't do much else than raised maybe a dozen question. I liked the opening song but actual episode was... so-so...
But I'm definetely following this.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:38   Link #52
TDKNL
GIF genin

Send a message via MSN to TDKNL
One word: Great

Intro Song ROCKS!!!

It looks like Gainax did it again

Because I only saw one ep I can't really make an opinion about this anime.
But it looks really promising. I think this is one to put on my list.
TDKNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:43   Link #53
stpehen
kisses for all

I've never seen Mahoromatic, but I thought this was thoroughly mediocre. Action animation was nice, but the other scenes were pretty much crap in the graphical department. I'll give it maybe two or three more episodes.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 09:47   Link #54
Kagari-chan
銀の律動のムジカ

Send a message via AIM to Kagari-chan Send a message via MSN to Kagari-chan
Episode 2 airs tomorrow ^^ I can't wait. I usually give shows a three episode test, so it's too early to tell if this show will be bad. I like it so far though.
Kagari-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 10:15   Link #55
User13971
Inactive Member

Post EVA didn't really have "fan-service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
And the fan service? Eva had tons of that too.
I disagree. EVA had hardly any real fan-service, even defined by late 1990's standards. That was one of Anno's many running jokes.

EVA itself was Anno's anti-Giant Robot anime:

- giant robots that weren't robots, but androids;
- giant robots that didn't combine into a super god-robot;
- giant robots that were NOT armed to the gills with missiles, Gatling guns, vulcan cannons, and beam weapons all for mid-range battle, but instead
- armed with one knife, with small-arms depots on the battlefield, with a primary battle strategy of hand-to-hand combat;
- android "robots" that must be directly powered via tethered power lines, with only a couple of minutes of power at full operation if the tether is disconnected;
- a pilot team of mentally, emotionally, and physically weak and damaged junior high-schoolers;
- a management and support staff of mentally, emotionally, and physically weak and damaged adults;
- no gung-ho, fist-in-the-air, "let's do it!" pilots;
- and so much more that is antithetical to your popular giant robot shows.

Sorry, went a little there.

Anyways, my point is: the "fan-service" that Misato's VA plugged after every episode's next-week preview was just more false advertising. Yes, there was a little fan-service here and there, for example, the camera angle for the first N2 mine explosion in ep-01 was right over Misato's ass in a tight dress. I would say that represents the average fan-service scene in EVA, with Misato's bath scene and the after-shower scene in Rei's room being two of the few titillating scenes.

What was the question?

---------------------
Kai no Gasara
User13971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 11:03   Link #56
dreamless

hmm... I thought hand-to-hand combat is one of the trademark for super robot animes? the real robot animes have lots of long range weapons, but the super robot animes are more like Kong-Fu robots

about fan-service in EVA... how about naked Rei and Asuka?
Old 2004-04-07, 12:29   Link #57
LoStSouLs
LoSt

Send a message via AIM to LoStSouLs
After waiting for about 4-5 months for this show, after i read about it in the newtype usa mag, and then finding more stuff about it on the net. I was really waiting for this to come out fansubbed. Now after seeing the 1st episode, i am very happy with how it went, and i cant wait to see more of this series. Also hope that it continues down the great road its laid forth. Or so i hope ^_^
LoStSouLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 13:54   Link #58
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
If Evil Girl is Hikari's twin sister (in a manner of speaking), how did she get Takeru's jacket? Or could this be shades of Chobits?

I went into this show expecting Mahoromatic (which I enjoyed, dammit), and finished the episode pleasantly surprised. The transformation came out of left field, certainly, but I can live with that.

Hopefully Ryou has a large part to play in the proceedings. While Takeru may not angst as much as Shinji, he does philosophize a great deal.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 13:59   Link #59
PimpinAintEZ

Send a message via AIM to PimpinAintEZ
i thought this anime was really cool! i'm gonna start watching this, when more comes out.
everything looks cool, the graphics, sounds, music, animation, and the story line. this anime reminded me of Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, which i also enjoyed.
and wut is up with Hikari? is she evil?
PimpinAintEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 15:13   Link #60
MrMoron

This seems like one of the corniest animes I've seen in the past few years. Is it really that hard to come up with something else than this "I shall protect you dood" scheme? It's irritating to no end. Why can't they do something like, "I hate your fucking guts" type of things more? That would be refreshing.

Well, I guess this series still has hope of change. Or something.
MrMoron is offline   Reply With Quote