AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-29, 03:46   Link #2941
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^Bummer. I actually thought that was going to be a Blu-ray boxset then.
Old 2010-09-02, 04:26   Link #2942
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
To episode 5

Well I enjoyed little Rimone's story of overcoming her previous tragedy the one time she took her own initiative.

I'm feeling sympathetic to the poor Argentum guys, suffering terribly and striving so hard to make their miserable lives a little better while the Sky Priestesses just cruise around on their luxury liner eating desserts in the ballroom and don't deign to venture out if they're not in a good mood that day.

I like the idea of the power of sacred geometry, but I hope these guys get over their religiousity and figure out that they're in a life and death struggle, not a prayer meeting. "God helps those who help themselves."

Maybe it could even occur to them that they might actually HELP the poor sods they share the planet with rather than keep them away from the "sacred artifacts" they were just lucky enough to find first. I'm hoping somebody might even get out of the pulpit long enough to open up one of the helical engines so we can discover how it really works.

But it's an interesting study in comparative social development. It reminds me of Lost Exile, but the bad guys there are apparently the good guys here. Maybe this is how the Guild got started on their evil path. But it's early yet. Anything could happen.

The worst offender to me is the noble Shibyura Aurea, Nebireru, who whilst having aquamarine eyes to die for, had best get her head out of her butt and do something besides take strolls in the gardens with her two little ladies-in-waiting. I'm sure she has her own issues, but people are dying while she mulls over her personal problems. How about a little noblesse oblige here?

I think the backgrounds are pastels, not watercolors.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-09-02 at 04:38.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 05:43   Link #2943
Rika-chama
Furude Shrine Miko
*Fansubber

Heh. I'd forgotten how much fun it is watching somebody go through Simoun for the first time. I can't wait until he gets to some of the parts that make you go lolwtfbbq.

Keep on going, drobertbaker. You'll be glad you finished it when you do. I've watched the whole show probably about 7 or 8 times, myself. ^__^

Nope. Not a thing.
Rika-chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 08:02   Link #2944
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

A first-timer, after this long? This will be entertaining :3

As a matter of fact, I should also watch this again.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 10:30   Link #2945
Rika-chama
Furude Shrine Miko
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
As a matter of fact, I should also watch this again.
Yes... Yes you should ^__^

Nope. Not a thing.
Old 2010-09-19, 18:24   Link #2946
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

To episode 13

I was sure glad to see Dad step in and call an end to all the foolishness. The girls were way out of control.

The peace conference was a real wake-up call and Nebireru seemed to get it. She saw the dedication of the Plumbum priestesses to do what they had to do and still maintain their faith, in fact increase it to a fanatical level. She also saw up close the stakes involved.

The girls have now been evicted from the luxury liner and are living altogether (with mice and a leaky roof) in a common dormitory. I hope there's a firehose nearby because sparks will fly!

Just when Nebireru was getting it together, Aaeru sent her back to bed with her unbelievable tactlessness.

The war-driven influx of these low-class and impious Shibyura is certainly fostering change.

I have tried to think of a real-world example of sacred power turned to bellicose ends by necessity. Perhaps some sect of Asian fighting monks that I'm not aware of? The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?

The closest I could come was the developers of the atom bomb, devout high priests of Science. The ones who came to the fore under pressure were the ones who could rise above their (if any) scruples. Szilard the political fanatic and Fermi the morally invisible man. Oppenheimer played the role of Nebireru the ambivalent leader, equally in love with her instrument of power and her own inscrutability.
Oppenheimer ended up doing what he had to do, but after the war, balked at unanticipated escalation and was cast down, replaced by Teller who was unafraid of the next step.

How far will Nebireru conscientiously go? Or will she see the light of holy destruction? Aaeru and Mamiina certainly have no scruples whatsoever and would both love to be in charge.

I finally heard a groovin' jazz tune I had to have and so got the OSTs. The song turned out to be called "Hashire" (Run!!).

OST 1 has an interesting grouping of music:
  • Female Nation First Movement: Previously Mankind
  • Female Nation Second Movement: Exclusion and Collapse of Male Society
  • Female Nation Third Movement: Preservation and Transformation of the New Variety
  • Female Nation Fourth Movement: Establishment of the Female Nation

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-10-13 at 03:25.
Old 2010-09-27, 17:01   Link #2947
mamina fan
Ninjas pwn all

Hey group leader i got an idea maybe we should make a poll on everybodys favorite characters in the series and have all the group members and such answer what do ya think it might be pretty cool what about you guys who do you like.

mamina fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 05:35   Link #2948
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

To episode 20

So Dominura steps up and finally opens a Simoun. And what she sees drives her crazy! What did she see? "Hope".

Apparently Amuria was absorbed into the Simoun as well as the new casualties Dominura and Rimone. It would seem the Simoun run on dead Shibyura.

The girls get back to the Arucus Purima and Paraietta falls to pieces.

The enemy finally find their own Simoun. Uh-oh!

The enemy priestess who blew herself to smithereens shows up intact (but still dead) inside a Simoun. It looks like her extreme faith transferred her into a Simoun at her death as well, not into the engine, but rather placidly propped up at the controls. And our side oddly gives her a lovely funeral.

Mamiina's poor self image costs her her life. She is so happy to be recognized as a real Shibyura that she voluntarily sacrifices herself. Class still rules the day though as she ends up dumped on the ground for the coyotes without even the funeral that the enemy priestess received.

Lastly, it looks like Her Eminence, the High Priestess, has had enough of the military taking over and she is plotting some grand sweeping move to end the war and bring all the parties into a new polity.

To the end
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! So much happens towards the end, but it's well paced, not rushed. It's hard to sum up even the major themes here; The Land of Hope, The Door to a Different World, The Eternal Girl.

A couple of final points of interest:
  • the language that the foreigners speak is backwards Japanese
  • Wapoorifu is apparently male although she has a female body that almost any woman would envy
Events really just provide a backdrop for the real thrust of the story, the character development. So many characters go through such change. They did a wonderful job in keeping control of presenting all that.

All the girls grow up, learn to take responsibility for their lives, become self-reliant, and focus on what's really important to them.

The bottom line seems to be that life always has hard knocks and we are always faced with tough decisions, but we have to follow our hearts and move on.

Given that, no summation can compare with the final group monologue. I have to quote it:

"Why were we all that concerned about sending out Aaeru and Nebiriru to a different world? Was it our being unable to escape from the current of time, because of defiance? Becoming adult was scary; we wanted to stay girls. So we piled those feelings on them? No, definitely something different. We were only carving "We ourselves were definitely here"; shouting in a loud voice the fact that we ourselves were definitely here. Carving, resisting. Aaeru, Nebiriru, I wonder where you are about now, our eternal girls."

You really have to see this for yourself.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-10-15 at 17:47.
Old 2010-10-15, 17:21   Link #2949
Rika-chama
Furude Shrine Miko
*Fansubber

Good Job ^__^

Now, go watch it again so you'll pick up all the stuff you missed the first time through. Believe me... you miss a lot - I've seen the entire thing 7 or 8 times and I still see new stuff I haven't seen before.

Nope. Not a thing.
Old 2010-10-18, 21:56   Link #2950
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Yes! Someone else has watched this! Now we can reprise the whole "Dominura = Onashia" debate

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 15:30   Link #2951
Rika-chama
Furude Shrine Miko
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingknight View Post
yes! Someone else has watched this! Now we can reprise the whole "dominura = onashia" debate :d
(☞゚∀゚)☞ OU

Nope. Not a thing.
Old 2010-10-26, 21:36   Link #2952
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I read in awebite regarding a comment about Simoun which l some how agree....

"the airships are pretty unrealistic..... why do they have to kiss and only girls get fly a Simoun

.... their enemies are damn slow, so slow that they can be shot down by anti crft guns or something...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 14:49   Link #2953
Simon
気持ち悪い

What do you know, there's life in the old girl yet... The staff blog has been updated for the first time in nearly three years to pimp promote the DVD box set, and for the attention span-challenged they've embraced twitter as well - speaking of which, check out Nishida Asako's avatar

As further proof that old Sybillae never die, AT-X will rebroadcast the show in January 2011.

EDIT: I didn't realise it's Nishida-sensei's birthday today. Someone drew her this cute Aeru as a present.

Last edited by Simon; 2010-12-01 at 18:00. Reason: お誕生日おめでとうございます、AS姉さん!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 18:00   Link #2954
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Nishida Asako's avatar is amazing.
Old 2010-12-08, 02:42   Link #2955
Simon
気持ち悪い

Box art from Amazon, linked to the full-size versions on the staff blog:

Spoiler for images:

Is it just me or does Aeru look noticeably younger than in the anime?
Old 2010-12-08, 03:11   Link #2956
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

It's just that these likenesses are quite poor.
Old 2010-12-20, 11:16   Link #2957
Rika-chama
Furude Shrine Miko
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
As further proof that old Sybillae never die, AT-X will rebroadcast the show in January 2011.
Dammit, I wish they'd re-master this in HD... orz

Nope. Not a thing.
Old 2011-01-24, 23:15   Link #2958
Mamina fan12
legendary Badass Ninja

i loved watching this anime and im not sure if theres a manga btu i was so pissed that mamina died and about a whole bunch of other stuff i dont feel like typing all in all it was great anime am i right?
Mamina fan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 00:32   Link #2959
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamina fan12 View Post
i loved watching this anime and im not sure if theres a manga
There are two manga although the Megami one is basically a parody dōjinshi. The Yuri Hime manga is still available, and since it isn't licensed I think I'm allowed to mention that translations can be easily found. Unfortunately it's way too short, but the art is nice.
Old 2011-04-03, 01:56   Link #2960
Simon
気持ち悪い

By my count it's five years today since Simoun debuted (give or take a few hours). The world has certainly changed a lot since then...

Anyway, tme for another rewatch methinks.

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri