AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-20, 22:19   Link #41
golgo13

Wonder if the One-legged Soldier is in fact Ricky or at least some pretty powerful human character. It would be interesting if he, and the other toys, were changed back to their previous form.

Last edited by golgo13; 2013-08-20 at 22:25. Reason: more thoughts
Old 2013-08-20, 23:36   Link #42
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Just read the chapter in Japanese
Like I said, the leak releases indeed are missing two pages.
Old 2013-08-21, 01:11   Link #43
marvelB

^Reading your summary, it seems that Law contacted Nami's group just so they could pick up Caesar....? Yeah, like they can even manage THAT. Even putting aside their current tangle with Jora, how the heck can they avoid attracting the attention of an enemy warlord and freaking meteor-spamming admiral!?

However, I do like how Nami comments on ol' Torao being like Luffy in the sense that he doesn't listen to his partners, lol.

Also, I notice that Bian's bug form is based on the suzumebachi..... aka Asian giant hornet. I find that interesting because I figured that Oda would save that particular kind of power for an arc boss or something (I merely base this on the aforementioned hornets being deadly predator bugs in real life). Well, there's always the praying mantis (and cockroach!), I guess.....
Old 2013-08-21, 07:46   Link #44
danielevo

Great chapter...
I really want to see one on one fight for strawhat crew in this chapter..
There will be possibility that strawhat crew will have a great fight in this chapter, and we will finally see how strong strawhat crew for now if they have to fight strong enemy like donxquito doflamingo family..
Old 2013-08-21, 07:47   Link #45
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
it would also make sense with the whole marines comment on how the losers never exited, likely many are changed into toys rather then being healed.
I don't know the exact words of Doflamingo in Japanese but in this chapter he also said to Law that if you lose you go to hell right away. He could have meant only Luffy but if he was talking about the other losers too, your point would totally make sense.

It's cool that Nami and Co. managed to destroy the hag's boat and her men considering the state they are in.

Last edited by ri0; 2013-08-21 at 13:32.
Old 2013-08-21, 15:01   Link #46
marvelB

So apparently the "proper" chapter's been released, but I'm not taking any chances for the moment since those sloppy Chinese scans may still be floating around.....

And it's not like I have much more to say about the chapter, anyway. I already mentioned that the dwarf king's comment about the 900 year-old conflict was the highlight for me. Though as far as Burgess goes, while I'm glad to see him again, I still wonder what he was up to during the block B fight? And honestly, I doubt it'll make much of a difference that Luffy's cover is blown at this point since he's already gotten the attention of some of the tournament's worst monsters anyways, lol.
Old 2013-08-21, 15:32   Link #47
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

And it's not like I have much more to say about the chapter, anyway. I already mentioned that the dwarf king's comment about the 900 year-old conflict was the highlight for me. Though as far as Burgess goes, while I'm glad to see him again, I still wonder what he was up to during the block B fight? And honestly, I doubt it'll make much of a difference that Luffy's cover is blown at this point since he's already gotten the attention of some of the tournament's worst monsters anyways, lol.
True. And altough Luffy isn't aware of this, in the meantime the disguise is void anyway because Doflamingo already knows about his identity
Old 2013-08-21, 16:08   Link #48
golgo13

Quote:
^Reading your summary, it seems that Law contacted Nami's group just so they could pick up Caesar....? Yeah, like they can even manage THAT. Even putting aside their current tangle with Jora, how the heck can they avoid attracting the attention of an enemy warlord and freaking meteor-spamming admiral!?
Very interesting move by Law. Probably Zoro or someone else will be going to help Nami and friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Probably the family fought alongside those families which later became the world nobles. I guess they decided to keep their own kingdom instead of moving to Mariejoa to rule the world.

But it's kind of interessting, that they were supposed to have 900 years of war and no side was able to achieve a clear victory.

BTW, does this mean that the bridge to Green Bit is more than 900 years old?
Possible. Like a Monaco or something like this.

There is a precedent to such a long conflict, the Shandians who fought for over 400 years.

Last edited by golgo13; 2013-08-21 at 16:08. Reason: this is
Old 2013-08-21, 18:56   Link #49
Undertaker

Quote:
So apparently the "proper" chapter's been released, but I'm not taking any chances for the moment since those sloppy Chinese scans may still be floating around.....
I usually try not to be morality police, but I got to defend this one as a native speaker. The one that was circling around this time isn't fan work but actual, official Chinese translation from an licensed Chinese online comic site. So I won't call it sloppy even though Mainland Chinese translation is known to be a notch below the official Chinese translation from Hong Kong and Taiwan.

The translation job of that into English, that is whole another story and I totally agree on that.
Old 2013-08-21, 19:25   Link #50
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I usually try not to be morality police, but I got to defend this one as a native speaker. The one that was circling around this time isn't fan work but actual, official Chinese translation from an licensed Chinese online comic site. So I won't call it sloppy even though Mainland Chinese translation is known to be a notch below the official Chinese translation from Hong Kong and Taiwan.

The translation job of that into English, that is whole another story and I totally agree on that.

Yeah, my bad for phrasing that part of the post poorly. But yes, I was really referring to the stolen translation used for those leaked Chinese pages, not the original Chinese translation itself.

Edit: Well now, well now..... it seems that the successors of Mangarule may have finally appeared after all?

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-08-21 at 21:18.
Old 2013-08-21, 22:25   Link #51
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 718
Shame Nami or the others don't have turpentine. Try and reverse her power some how. Chinjao is starting to turn out like Hodi Jones. I will have to say Daflmanigo's plan to throw Luffy in a tournament with bunch of powerful people was a very simple plan. I figure he would have a more elaborate plan. But I guess simplicity works too. I wonder what law will do now and were is Fujitori? A lot of loose ends.
Old 2013-08-22, 06:55   Link #52
mrShady

Is it me or did we miss Nami en co taking out art lady's henchmen and their boat?
Including Fujitora there seems to be a lot happening off screen, I wonder why?

Last edited by mrShady; 2013-08-22 at 07:32.
Old 2013-08-22, 12:41   Link #53
ellifeedn
Thinker

Just a thought, would jumping into the sea remove the Art Art fruit effect? Probably not a good idea for the three DF users, but Nami could.
Old 2013-08-22, 13:36   Link #54
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
It probably has been mentioned before, but if the dwarfs call Robin and Usopp Robiland and Usoland, then maybe Noland's name wasn't actually Noland. If we take away the -land suffix and come up with something else, it just might be Noah. Maybe he was related to the big ship near Fishmen Island and/or Joy Boy. Or maybe it's something different entirely, since there is also 'Norland' as an accepted variant of his translated name, which wouldn't fit with 'Noah' in particular. But the -land suffix is interesting regardless.
Old 2013-08-22, 14:47   Link #55
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
It probably has been mentioned before, but if the dwarfs call Robin and Usopp Robiland and Usoland, then maybe Noland's name wasn't actually Noland. If we take away the -land suffix and come up with something else, it just might be Noah. Maybe he was related to the big ship near Fishmen Island and/or Joy Boy. Or maybe it's something different entirely, since there is also 'Norland' as an accepted variant of his translated name, which wouldn't fit with 'Noah' in particular. But the -land suffix is interesting regardless.

I very strongly doubt this, as he was clearly referred to as "Noland/Norland" by several people during the Skypiea flashback, both Shandian and non-Shandians alike. Plus, I'm pretty certain that the "No" in Noland and Noah are pronounced a bit differently in Japanese.....

And that's not even counting the fact that Norland's flashback took place well after the void century, anyway (Void Century= 800 years ago. Norland flashback= 400 years ago).
Old 2013-08-22, 15:11   Link #56
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
That wouldn't really be a problem. A simple connection between characters can easily span a couple of centuries. But what I just realized is that Usopp introduced himself with his name to the dwarves when they first met, probably as Usoland, rendering that idea pretty much pointless.
Old 2013-08-23, 03:33   Link #57
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Just a thought, would jumping into the sea remove the Art Art fruit effect? Probably not a good idea for the three DF users, but Nami could.
This was discussed a couple of chapters before. My opinion is that it wouldn't make much sense.
Fruit users can't use their ability when they are in standing water but they don't lose it as we saw in the Arlong Parc Arc.
Therefore, if the water would negate the effects imposed on other people, all the toys could just jump into the sea and become humans again.

Last edited by ri0; 2013-08-23 at 03:48.
Old 2013-08-23, 05:16   Link #58
Spammowarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
This was discussed a couple of chapters before. My opinion is that it wouldn't make much sense.
Fruit users can't use their ability when they are in standing water but they don't lose it as we saw in the Arlong Parc Arc.
Therefore, if the water would negate the effects imposed on other people, all the toys could just jump into the sea and become humans again.
moreover, the sunny is already in the water, and it's still artsy.
probably throwing the lady overboard should do the trick, though.
Old 2013-08-23, 06:19   Link #59
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammowarrior View Post
moreover, the sunny is already in the water, and it's still artsy.
probably throwing the lady overboard should do the trick, though.
I don't find that issue as clear as it may look. By falling into the sea, Jora falls either unconscious or dies (Dying is much more likely )

As seen with Decken, when he fell unconscious his ability was cancelled. But thinking about the toy turning DF user, I think it can be assumed that he had to sleep some time in the past ten years and his ability is still active.

It would also be interesting to know, wether an ability imposed on someone is cancelled when the user dies (because the fruit respawns somewhere else) or if that event will strenghten the Devil's curse (Like Nen in HxH).
I'm tending to the first option, although I can't remember that being mentioned in the series.

Last edited by ri0; 2013-08-23 at 06:29.
Old 2013-08-23, 09:35   Link #60
Spammowarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
I don't find that issue as clear as it may look. By falling into the sea, Jora falls either unconscious or dies (Dying is much more likely )

As seen with Decken, when he fell unconscious his ability was cancelled. But thinking about the toy turning DF user, I think it can be assumed that he had to sleep some time in the past ten years and his ability is still active.

It would also be interesting to know, wether an ability imposed on someone is cancelled when the user dies (because the fruit respawns somewhere else) or if that event will strenghten the Devil's curse (Like Nen in HxH).
I'm tending to the first option, although I can't remember that being mentioned in the series.
I think it was stated that gekko moria had to voluntarily release the shadows he possessed (so implying that should he die, the shadows would be lost forever). But again, Decken dying (or merely passing out) would release any effect of his devil fruit.
It doesn't look like there's a clear cut rule, more like Oda does whatever the hell he prefers.
Closed Thread