Notices

Old 2008-05-31, 16:48   Link #1581
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

hmm... *start searching for the old post of my AS seniors*
Old 2008-05-31, 16:58   Link #1582
Shay
Monarch Programmer

What is the name of that show that targets pedophiles by luring them into thinking they're actually going to meet someone they met online and then some guy jumps out all like "hey, what ya doing, looks like you got a good night planned?"
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 18:11   Link #1583
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well... according google, that is probably Dateline.

http://thephoenix.com/SlopCulture/20...ileReveal.aspx

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7140628AAd4g7n

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 23:44   Link #1584
Vinak
Procrastinator

so i feel like an idiot atm...

how do you open animated gifs in photoshop without losing the animation?

I made this today and now i can't edit it without starting over.

Edit:
oh I am using CS3 atm.
Old 2008-06-01, 00:20   Link #1585
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
so i feel like an idiot atm...

how do you open animated gifs in photoshop without losing the animation?

I made this today and now i can't edit it without starting over.

Edit:
oh I am using CS3 atm.
I don't believe Photoshop has the ability to open animated sequences. You'll have to use Adode ImageReady or another program that can open read gif files. Even if you did open a gif file with photoshop, it will only show the first layer of the gif, meaning the very first image in the gif/file.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 00:24   Link #1586
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I don't believe Photoshop has the ability to open animated sequences. You'll have to use Adode ImageReady or another program that can open gif files.
The problem is ImageReady no longer exists as of CS3. According to the Wikipedia article some of ImageReady's functionality was integrated into CS3 (such as "Save for web & devices"), and the article speculates that part of the reason that ImageReady was discontinued is because it's no longer necessary now that Adobe owns Fireworks (which used to be a Macromedia application specialized for web graphics and animations). I'm not sure if using Fireworks will give you the functionality that ImageReady did.
Old 2008-06-01, 00:50   Link #1587
Vinak
Procrastinator

so you can make animated sequences in Photoshop but you can't open them and edit them afterwards.

...that makes perfect sense?

thanks for the replies.
Old 2008-06-01, 00:58   Link #1588
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The problem is ImageReady no longer exists as of CS3. According to the Wikipedia article some of ImageReady's functionality was integrated into CS3 (such as "Save for web & devices"), and the article speculates that part of the reason that ImageReady was discontinued is because it's no longer necessary now that Adobe owns Fireworks (which used to be a Macromedia application specialized for web graphics and animations). I'm not sure if using Fireworks will give you the functionality that ImageReady did.
Ahh no wonder I didn't know. I did install CS3, but didn't pay attention to much of the programs that came with it, also I didn't like CS3 due to my lack of time to dedicate my self to learn some of the new tricks and i've been so accustomed to CS2 so I just basically stopped using CS3 and uninstalled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
so you can make animated sequences in Photoshop but you can't open them and edit them afterwards.

...that makes perfect sense?

thanks for the replies.
Well... frame by frame is what we would call sequence and yes photoshop can do that. But it lacks the function to layer images into a frame by frame function. Though you can save it to a gif format, you are stuck with a still image with no animation function once so ever.

I use Imageready when I try to create a animation and using photoshop to adjust and create images for it. Actually I found it easier to user Coral 10 for my image needs that doesn't require too much image manipulations. (plus they have ez borders ^^ from the default that the program do come with) Using Coral X for the images and transferring them to Imageready.

Now I use to have Paint Shop Pro 7, and it came with a very simple animation program but I don't remember what i was called. But I found that program to be the simplest of all animation programs so far, but it's a shareware >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 01:45   Link #1589
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I've got a stupid question.

What the hell do you call this:

in proper English?

It's the "dotted outline" on selections. It's driven me insane all of my life, and on every graphical environment I've used. The only one that I *think* (I cannot remember right now) isn't affected by this is the GNOME interface, but I'm not so sure--I've been using KDE for the past month. But I've seen this on Windows, and if my memory doesn't fail me, I also used to see it on the old Mac OS, and I haven't touched OS X enough to know if it happens or not. And the thing is so random (it basically appears whenever it wants to, and doesn't want to go away for a long time after that) that I really can't find an explanation for it.

Konqueror, as a file browser, does it all the damn time and it bothers the hell out of me. And what bothers me most is that I can't find a single way of describing the thing so I can look up for a solution, or at the very least, an explanation.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-06-01 at 02:08.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 01:59   Link #1590
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Good question. I don't really know that there is a term for it, but it serves to highlight a selection of sorts. You could call it "selection highlight" or "selection outline" but that might yield some weird results. The purpose for it, as far as I know, is for keyboard operation in a GUI environment. For example, if you try tabbing around a webpage you'll see that toggle over various buttons and links to let you know what will be activated if you press other keys (like enter or space).
Old 2008-06-01, 02:06   Link #1591
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Yeah, I understand why it can be useful while using a keyboard to navigate through a GUI, but I don't want to see it when I'm *clicking*.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 04:49   Link #1592
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Crap...what. I totally uninstalled everything related to Adobe and installed CS3. Is there a way to make animated gifs now or do I have to re-install Imageready somehow?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 07:51   Link #1593
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about the GIMP? Even someone with as little prior experience as me figured out how to add layers and save an animated gif in the GIMP. Some people hate the interface, though, especially people who think all graphics programs should look like Photoshop. If you find the UI off-putting, you can try GIMPshop, an effort to build a Photoshop-like interface for the GIMP. I've never used it because it started with the GIMP originally.

The GIMP is completely open-source, GPL in fact, and cross-platform with builds for Windows, Macs, and Linux.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 11:31   Link #1594
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Interesting, thanks for that. I'll be disappointed if there isn't an Adobe way to do this though, since this "upgrade" wouldn't really be an upgrade after all.
Old 2008-06-01, 17:13   Link #1595
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26533

Step By Step Guides To Making Avatars --> Guide a) by Neaco

It's the first link on the page, you can't miss it.
Old 2008-06-01, 17:29   Link #1596
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Well, it's not the first link on the page but I finally found a link further down, so thanks!

And btw, it was:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1398342
Old 2008-06-01, 21:45   Link #1597
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What do you mean?

It reads as follows,
Quote:
The following tutorials have been made (mostly) in Photoshop and ImageReady.
Note : ImageReady comes with PhotoShop ( disappeared in CS3 - but all functionality is still present in Photoshop )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step By Step Guides To Making Avatars
  1. by Neaco ( presumes previous knowledge / Photoshop CS3 )
There is only one link in the quote. (the big blue text which reads: "by Neaco")
But I'm glad you found it anyway.
Old 2008-06-03, 21:18   Link #1598
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Do pupils in the US employ mile/pound/gallon in physics classes?
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 21:37   Link #1599
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Do pupils in the US employ mile/pound/gallon in physics classes?
It depends on the school, but the answer is often still "yes". In my observation, though, the higher the education level, the greater the likelyhood of eschewing Imperial units. With better communication in the modern age, metric is far more likely among, say, graduate students who are doing actual scholarly work and therefore communicating internationally as part of their school/work.

Although it wasn't physics, my favorite example was in my college trigonometry class. On our first test, without warning, we were expected to convert from one Imperial unit to another to have the correct answer. I refused, and earned a failing grade on the test because of it. In truth, although I refused to do all of them, few of the conversions I actually didn't know. I only had to learn them once in elementary school, and I've never needed or used them afterward. Even when used in my math and physics classes, conversion was never required.

With such a history of Imperial measurements being utilized in US products, I can completely understand the continued teaching of Imperial measurements, but I hope it is considered a legacy system very soon.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 22:55   Link #1600
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

We do both equally, kinda. In my chemistry class, not only do we need to know the metric system AND the Imperial system, but we have to know how to convert them by memory. An example is a problem finding out which car has more mileage, one is given in miles/gallon and one is given in kilometers/liter. It's not that we throw away the Imperial system, but since it is so common, we're expected to know the metric system and converting it so our friends could understand.

In physics, everything is mostly in m/s, and it was actually annoying when the teacher gives us a problem in ft/s, since you're so used to measuring speed in m/s. But whoever knows what ft/s is, right? We measure in miles/hour. For example, I know what gravity is in m/s2 exactly, but if you ask me what it is in ft/s2 I would only be able to give you an estimate.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious