AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-12, 09:21   Link #441
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And here we go again.

Old 2010-02-12, 09:45   Link #442
KaoruLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn
I'd dispute that we got a polygamous ending. In fact, what was shown in the series was anything but.
Well, yeah :P It was pretty much leading up to a Sheryl/Alto end, but Kawamori had to leave it open ended. I was just being neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgirl121
I know that alto have not chosen any of the girls, but I got the impression that the director is leaning toward ranka/alto (the reason I have been on the edge on my chair while watching it the first time ), with alto sudden blushing in ep 12(yes to me it felt saddening) and all the obsession and craziness alto when thought in 13-14 to save ranka, but it was weird that everything went resent between them, it like they back to square one a round the second part of the anime while alto/sheryl interaction was as strong as ever, so it was very hard see alto/ranka them together as a couple.
Wait, Alto/Ranka never become a couple. That's the thing about the relationships in Macross Frontier -- during episodes 12 - 14 Ranka was ahead in the triangle, but circumstances happened that cut short their growing relationship (her running away into space with Brera). Why it was executed that way, we would never know. Maybe it was to give Sheryl a chance to catch up on the love triangle? So by the 24th episode, it was leaning heavily towards Sheryl/Alto but still COULD go the other way, Ranka/Alto.

I know what you mean by 'on the edge of your seat' LOL. I was too. Really it was possible to have a Ranka/Alto ending, but you have to realize that the last few episodes had Alto PROMISE to Sheryl to be with her until the end, and sleeping with her, living together, and episode 24 had a possible confession scene and kiss.

If they wanted a Ranka/Alto ending, they wouldn't have put in those scenes in the first place. Maybe a kiss would suffice, but not an entire freaking love scene and romantic promise! They'll just be writing themselves into a corner because if Alto goes to Ranka after all that, it'll just show how much of a bastard he is to Sheryl. Which means bad script writing.

We don't know if the director favoured Alto/Ranka, because honestly we couldn't tell. Everything was (kind of) balanced. But maybe we'll find out in the 2nd movie?
Old 2010-02-12, 10:14   Link #443
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
Well, yeah :P It was pretty much leading up to a Sheryl/Alto end, but Kawamori had to leave it open ended. I was just being neutral.
Well, I think I can prove with charts that an AxR ending would be nigh impossible for the series. As such it going the other way, as you said in the second part of your response, would be very very difficult to do without the whole storyline losing all credibility. There's next to none build-up in the later part of the series, Rankas "love" amounts to a crush a little girl has on her daddy.
Old 2010-02-12, 10:32   Link #444
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Hmmm, this could potentially be amusing in more than one way, but I'll ignore the spidey senses and watch from the sidelines for now.
Old 2010-02-12, 11:45   Link #445
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I'd dispute that we got a polygamous ending. In fact, what was shown in the series was anything but.
Agreed. ALL of the relationship development was focused on one couple. And there weren't any green hair involved.
Old 2010-02-12, 12:46   Link #446
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Well, I think I can prove with charts that an AxR ending would be nigh impossible for the series. As such it going the other way, as you said in the second part of your response, would be very very difficult to do without the whole storyline losing all credibility. There's next to none build-up in the later part of the series, Rankas "love" amounts to a crush a little girl has on her daddy.
Ok I'll bite. If you don't mind, I'm very curious to see your chart. I want to see your chart prove how it's impossible for an Alto x Ranka ending.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-02-12, 12:53   Link #447
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Ok I'll bite. If you don't mind, I'm very curious to see your chart. I want to see your chart prove how it's impossible for an Alto x Ranka ending.
A "chart" was a figure of speech in this case, since I am not as proficient in Excel anymore as I was before.

But if you want me to make a detailed listing, go ahead and ask, I'll be happy to oblige. Could take a bit, I am short before the final mission in Mass Effect 2, but I'd get to it soon.
Old 2010-02-12, 12:55   Link #448
cyberdemon

Quote:
got thisa from tv tropes
Quote:
In Macross Frontier, male protagonist Alto Saotome refuses to choose between his two female pop-idol love interests, Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee. After they save humanity together, it's implied in canon (and stated outright by the creator) that they live happily ever after as a threesome.
The trope is slightly subverted in this case, in that Ranka and Sheryl are in many ways portrayed as having a closer bond with one another than they do with Alto.
It's called the tenchi solution Everyone is happy with the tenchi solution
Old 2010-02-12, 13:00   Link #449
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
got thisa from tv tropes

It's called the tenchi solution Everyone is happy with the tenchi solution
Erm, only that Kawamori never stated outright anything of the kind. TVTropes is pretty unrealiable as a source of canon material, since it's updated by users, who all have their biases.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:14   Link #450
KaoruLia

Wasn't there an interview with Shoji Kawamori, who mentioned something related to polygamy or something? Sorry my memory's a bit hazy -- I remember reading it on this forum though.

I'd find it hilarious if it's a threesome in canon, but personally I would like Alto with Sheryl thank you very much.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:17   Link #451
cyberdemon

Quote:
Wasn't there an interview with Shoji Kawamori, who mentioned something related to polygamy or something? Sorry my memory's a bit hazy -- I remember reading it on this forum though.

I'd find it hilarious if it's a threesome in canon, but personally I would like Alto with Sheryl thank you very much.
that's what I've heard. I see their conversation the the last episode over who becomes the wife and who becomes the mistress lol.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:22   Link #452
magnuskn

Quote:

IIRC, that was part of Shalooms faux translation of that one interview, which set off the disaster we all remember... ^^ Meaning that Shaloom got his BS established as pseudo-canon, dammit. >.<

In any case, Kawamori never stated that the series ended in a threesome.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:30   Link #453
DeX-kun

Quote:
A "chart" was a figure of speech in this case, since I am not as proficient in Excel anymore as I was before.

But if you want me to make a detailed listing, go ahead and ask, I'll be happy to oblige. Could take a bit, I am short before the final mission in Mass Effect 2, but I'd get to it soon.
Not a problem, take your time. Although I can't promise a quick response either considering how busy I am during this time of year. I will read it though

Quote:
IIRC, that was part of Shalooms faux translation of that one interview, which set off the disaster we all remember... ^^ Meaning that Shaloom got his BS established as pseudo-canon, dammit. >.<

In any case, Kawamori never stated that the series ended in a threesome.
One of the biggest problems with the Shaloom fiasco was that there was some truth to that info (very little I might add but there was some,) and I believe that Kawamori did mention something about polygamy in an interview although I'm not sure in what context he used the term in.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-02-12, 13:40   Link #454
magnuskn

Quote:
Not a problem, take your time. Although I can't promise a quick response either considering how busy I am during this time of year. I will read it though
Will do. Could take a few days, I need to wedge it between a few other projects I got going on. It'll probably just a summary of things I've said in the past, though, but hopefully a concise one.

Quote:
One of the biggest problems with the Shaloom fiasco was that there was some truth to that info (very little I might add but there was some,) and I believe that Kawamori did mention something about polygamy in an interview although I'm not sure in what context he used the term in.
Yeah, it seems in the Famitsu interview he was talking about polygamy, but as far as I can see, it didn't relate directly to how the series ended. I'm scanning through the thread about the whole Onohgi question at Macross World, if I see that Gubaba found a complete version of the interview I'll post the relevant part.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:53   Link #455
darkplataform

Like you all known nowadays, the disaster included not only the liner notes but also a lot of different material referent to several Macross series.

Al least, i can tell you that the interview where kawamori mention polygamy was first posted by that asshole in the MG forums.
I remember it was a long interview and probably contains true and false info (like he always used to do)

Sorry about that, guys
Old 2010-02-12, 13:58   Link #456
magnuskn

Aha, I finally found a summary by Gubaba on what Kawamori said in the Famitsu interview. Only took me half an hour of scanning the very voluminously filled pages on Macross World. The things I do for you guys...

Here goes:

Oh, by the way, I went through the actual Famitsu Interview today with one of my Japanese friends, and I understand it well enough that I can make a better summary of the whole thing.

But since I'm sure inquiring minds want to know (and want to know NOW), Kawamori does NOT come out and endorse polygamy, either for Alto or for others. But he's talking about mass hypnosis as a form of control (a theme that he points out is present in both Plus and Frontier) and uses monogamy as an example of societal brainwashing: we just assume that it MUST be that way, but when you look at the animal world, monogamy is not usually present. Society has conditioned us into thinking that way.

It's an example. Not a recommendation. Not an explanation of the "triangler ending." An example.

Once again, many thanks to Gubaba for all his great work.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2010-02-12 at 16:31. Reason: Had to clarify that I don't think the people who write on Macross World are "dense", only the amount of words they put out.:P
Old 2010-02-12, 14:00   Link #457
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
Like you all known nowadays, the disaster included not only the liner notes but also a lot of different material referent to several Macross series.

Al least, i can tell you that the interview where kawamori mention polygamy was first posted by that asshole in the MG forums.
I remember it was a long interview and probably contains true and false info (like he always used to do)

Sorry about that, guys
You have no reason to apologize. That wasn't your fault and it never will be. I only blame Shaloom and anyone else who still follows him after the proven facts were revealed.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-02-12, 17:52   Link #458
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And here we go again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
Hmmm, this could potentially be amusing in more than one way, but I'll ignore the spidey senses and watch from the sidelines for now.
Should be interesting though...

But I still think I'll join you all on the popcorn-munching this time... any unusual flavours to try?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-02-12, 21:51   Link #459
justavisitor

nowadays every time I see the romance thread got updated, I have to take a deep deep breath before I finally decide to click the link and enter the thread...

I never read an interview that Kawamori promotes polygmay...I thought he only said human beings always think monogamy is the only solution (like what magnuskn said about the interview)...and actually there are other solutions...something like that

Which I actually agree with Kawamori (heck, even if in the future this "interview" is proved to be false, I still buy this idea)..when one looks at the setting of macross, polygamy could actually happen in macross universe. Therefore, I have no problem accepting a AltoxRankaxSheryl ending

Man, I really need the macross movie...I have been saying the similar thing in my last 6 months!!! (Go back to watch super sentai now...see you guys later!)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-02-12, 21:58   Link #460
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Bah...polygamy...I only have unkind words for that.