AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-03, 22:22   Link #41
Omniscient

The official drama website is now live. They've got all the girls there, but no Negi.

I noticed that the age discrepancy is rather large between the girls - from as young as 12 to as old as 24. In fact, what the heck is Kaede being played by a 13-year-old for? If anything, her character should be one of the older actresses.

Last edited by Omniscient; 2007-07-03 at 22:36.
Old 2007-07-03, 23:25   Link #42
Midonin
Last Engage

Not looking too bad so far. Asuna can be picked out easily - the pigtails are always there. Though Zazie and Evangeline looking completely Japanese is a little off-putting. That they're not Japanese is exactly what made them them.
Old 2007-07-04, 02:36   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Comparing them to the class roster..... yeah, working with the limitations of casting availability. Evangeline does look a bit gothy I suppose.... and, of course, we're looking at them sans makeup which might help Zazie and Chach (antenna?). Mana.... well, yeah, but I'd rather see her tanned up a bit more I guess.

The only one that is, like, 180 degrees WTF? is Kaede...... she's just not a statuesque curvy Kaede. They must be seriously re-interpreting her. ARgh.
That one is most disappointing....
Old 2007-07-04, 06:53   Link #44
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Kufei looks like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Chow in drag. Nodoka is good choice but many are just fucked up.

I did some counting
Combined age: 532
Average: 17.16
Oldest: 24
Youngest: 12

http://blog.xuite.net/rookierookie/moe/12439188 has mag scans.
Old 2007-07-04, 07:08   Link #45
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

looks good..might be the next GTO...the girls are ok to so so...hope Negi would be good. Need to see who's gonna play his role.
Old 2007-07-04, 07:37   Link #46
Question
Crossdresser

Where are you getting the idea its shopped?
Old 2007-07-04, 08:08   Link #47
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Evangeline does look a bit gothy I suppose....
Yeah, i guess thats as far as they can go with her character.

But what about Chachamaru? ;___;
Old 2007-07-05, 02:34   Link #48
madarabe
Dunamist

Hmm... no wonder she look so familiar; Eva (Kuwae Sakina). She's also one of the cast in Gekiranger, a super sentai show that is currently showing in Japan.

and even Misora (Hasegawa Shizuka) the seiyuu for Tomohane (Inukami), Yukino (Airantou),etc is in it.

いっぺん 死んでみる?
Old 2007-07-05, 05:29   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Chach either needs sfx-makeup or its a waste... Zazie, Mana, and Sayo need makeup as well.... we'll just have to see if the others can project their character or not.

I'm sorry.. the next GTO?????? (snort, laugh). Don't remember GTO needing massive special effects or CGI... . This is probably going to be hardly a Negima series in any way recognizable to Negima fans outside of the names. Even shows as technically simple as Lovely Complex or Nana chopped up the material pretty thoroughly to turn it into live-action.
Old 2007-07-05, 10:33   Link #50
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by madarabe View Post
Hmm... no wonder she look so familiar; Eva (Kuwae Sakina). She's also one of the cast in Gekiranger, a super sentai show that is currently showing in Japan.
Interesting. I'm currently watching Geki, and didn't catch onto that. (Then again, her character Natsumi was only in three episodes.)
Old 2007-07-05, 20:37   Link #51
Genjo
Genjo-Subs Founder
*Fansubber

i guess they exploring beyond no man ever gone before.
when will they learn there lesson.
Old 2007-07-05, 20:55   Link #52
Sakuya
*Artist

I wonder why is Sayo wearing the current uniform? I hope they don't decide to make her human or something...
Old 2007-07-05, 22:20   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its probably better not to think or worry about it.... its like some Hollywood director got hold of a good idea and then proceeds to mulch it until all the "good" has been strained out.
Old 2007-07-05, 23:00   Link #54
ZODDGUTS

Hmm not sure if this will work out or not. I have enjoyed J-Drama's based on Manga series like GTO, Dragon Zakura, Hana Yori Dango and several others. But for this series it will be difficult to stay close to the manga. Looking forward to the Engrish moments that this series is likely to have.
Old 2007-07-06, 01:12   Link #55
aesculapius

is anybody here besides me surprised or just didn't know Mahora Gakuen actually exists....... I can't get over it So does library island ARGH!!!!! Just seems too awkward
Old 2007-07-06, 03:40   Link #56
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I had a good laugh looking at the cast list. I guess they obviously will all look fairly similar to each other in Live Action, but a part of me wishes they resembled the off the wall character designs from the Manga because wasn't that the fun of it, having a class of 31 characters all with their unique appearance and storylines. Also the girl for Evangeline just doesn't work at all period, plus she's way to old to be playing the Dark Evangel. A part of me wonders if this is even meant to be as I've talked to someone who says that this has "Fail" written all over it.
Old 2007-07-06, 12:56   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

When I'm not just irritated by what is going on with the Negima franchise, I joke that this live-action was basically an excuse for Ken A. to interview and have lots of lunches with 31 lovely ladies "purely for business reasons" If they were going to give this project half the budget of what a Harry Potter movie costs, it'd probably be a wonderful thing -- but I really doubt it.

Of course, reading ahead in the spoilers I'm starting to think he may be considering a flip of the manga from a complete and regular story ((beginning-middle-end, eh?)) to a never-ending serial adventure cycle/rinse/repeat/no-progress ((naruto))

The latter would be okay if we actually saw time progression, relationships change, people grow up .... dealing with the tensions as the girls move into college and now Negi is in his late teens. But so far, we're into book 15 (Del Rey) and Negi hasn't even had a birthday party that I can recall.
Old 2007-07-06, 13:16   Link #58
Question
Crossdresser

From what i can recall of the manga, after the festival arc is over, they have the first year's end of year tests and summer vacation starts.

A lot of people are already getting the feeling that the movie is going to be major fail just based on casting decisions. Unless the makeup department pulls off an unbelivable job in turning japanese girls into europeans(not to mention Negi), AND the cast can actually pull off acting AS foreigners(lol yea right, they cant even speak a sentence of english to save their lives), we are just going to end up with the equavelent of a hollywood studio making a Vietnam war movie and all the vietnamese troops are played by white americans shouting out war cries like "CHARGEEEEE!!!!!" and "FIRE IN THE HOLE!".
Old 2007-07-06, 13:28   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... I think most of can us could deal with using japanese casting to handle the foreign parts, like you say -- ya works with whats ya got. But these factors:
1) budget..... Negima is filled with wonderful backdrop scenery and amazing magical combat --- like Harry Potter, its *key* to the story's pizzazz.
2) budget..... Makeup and outfits, we have Sayo the ghost, Zazie, Evangeline, Chach, and Setsuna who will need special gear of the expensive kind.
3) Kaede... I'm having trouble with the idea of casting a small petite 13 yr old as a tall, curvy, buxom ninja. Anyone else trying to wrap their brain around that?
4) Mana... hmmmm, maybe if she got a serious tan and contacts?
5) Evangeline .... okay, whatever... a wig might help? The actress does look like she could pull off gothy.
6) A male actor less than 14 who could believably pull off the role..... ???? He's going to be in nearly every scene of the movie.....

They haven't mentioned a budget, they haven't released any pre-production sketches, they haven't mentioned any casting for Negi.... so far its been: look! we have a lot of girls!
Lots of pretty girls alone never saves a turkey unless they have their clothes mostly off and tease the hell out of the audience.
Old 2007-07-06, 13:39   Link #60
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is probably going to be hardly a Negima series in any way recognizable to Negima fans outside of the names.
Yeah, I have a hard time believing that this is going to turn out anything like the manga story without the budget of a major, prime time television series. I just don't think it's going to get that kind of treatment. I have a feeling it's either going to rely on cheap and dirty SFX, or will twist the story out of all recognition to avoid any significant need for them.

Like someone else said, this whole project seems to have -FAIL- written on it in big, bold, letters.
Closed Thread