AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-08, 14:00   Link #61
King-Slayer

The old anime site updated itself a bit. I think it just says the new tv anime project is starting.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 00:27   Link #62
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

this makes me very happy. the mah jong fiend in me is roaring to play now.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 09:07   Link #63
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingmajiao View Post
But to your quote, even in chinese mahjong, Saki could still win by Hua Shang Zhi Mo(Rinshan Kaihou) just that it doesnt add any Tai(Fan).. So she still can win by it, just that it's not able to pick up any bonus Tai/Fan for her..
So in traditional mahjong Rinshan Kaihou doesn't add any Fan but you can still call a winning hand even if you don't have a multiplier? The tough thing about Japanese mahjong is you can't call your hand until you get a multiplier. That makes Saki's power even stronger, since she can win off really crappy hands cutting off an opponent's big win with a Rinshan Kaihou.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 01:32   Link #64
Kyuu
=^^=

Hehe. I finally got a taste of real life mahjong.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 10:07   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Archon_Wing recommended Saki to me about a month or two ago.

And wow... I really enjoyed this anime.

Such a large, and yet rather well-developed cast. Also very moe, quite charming, and nice drama and excitement throughout the team tournament arc.

With all of that said, I'm definitely looking forward to Saki season 2.

Saki, and her penchant for insane comebacks, reminded me quite a bit of a certain famous pro wrestler.

And when I made that connection, it eventually ended up with me also seeing similarities between Touka and an old rival for that famous pro wrestler.

Mixing Saki with late 80s/early 90s WWF might seem like a weird whacky wild combination, but I think that it might work.

Here it is.

I'd embed it, but I don't know how to do that for dailymotion vids.

Edit: Switched to MediaFire link as Daily Motion gave me the same problem that YouTube did...

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-07-13 at 19:05.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 05:50   Link #66
dingmajiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
So in traditional mahjong Rinshan Kaihou doesn't add any Fan but you can still call a winning hand even if you don't have a multiplier? The tough thing about Japanese mahjong is you can't call your hand until you get a multiplier. That makes Saki's power even stronger, since she can win off really crappy hands cutting off an opponent's big win with a Rinshan Kaihou.
Same goes for Chinese mahjong(not really traditional I'll say).. You need at least 1 Fan to be able to win.. If not you'll be paying other people for winning on a fake hand(a hand with no value).. At least that's what I know for Chinese mahjong..

But drawing from the dead wall is not just limited to Kans, drawing a flower/animal tile also entitle to a draw from the dead wall and certain flowers and all animals tile add to Fan values.. So Saki's style of playing still pretty much is deadly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Sadly, the scoring system is its weakness. Sure, if your hand is countable beyond 5 han, it's easy. But below that... y'need to count two variables; then match values to a table. Meh... I just complain based on playing the game via computer only. Yet, I'm aware of people who gather to play. All I have to do is show up.
Personally I think that one of it's other huge weakness is it give hidden hands SUCH huge bonuses that you can't try to feed off other people..
That's a huge major weakness compared to Chinese mahjong(the other mahjong that I played)..
dingmajiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 10:53   Link #67
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Seeing the way they ended the first season, i thought all hope was lost for the second. Then reality sinks in, my wish is answered.

Having high hopes for the second season to be as entertaining as the first.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 19:45   Link #68
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
The first season ended in middle of a tournament.. In what way does this kind of end lose all of your hope? If anything, it should give you hope that 2nd season will definitely come.
Old 2011-07-23, 00:04   Link #69
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Well, seeing as they 'flashed' through the next tournament at the end of the last episode, i thought that they might be telling the viewers whats to come in the story and if they are interested they should read the manga.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 01:00   Link #70
Belgaesh

Hope that there is enough material to make a second anime. Or would they remake the first one?
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 01:09   Link #71
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
Hope that there is enough material to make a second anime. Or would they remake the first one?
What's the point in reanimating a tournament anime when you already know how every match goes? It seems a bit illogical to me... If they're short on material, I think it's more likely they'll just add some anime-original arcs to pad the show out, or they could work with the original author to get an outline of how the rest of the tournament will end up going.
Old 2011-07-26, 06:10   Link #72
tsunade666

they already did that in the first season. Because the anime already catch up with the battle of Koromo and after that an anime original. I don't find that one bad because I like how the singles game played out.
Old 2011-07-26, 09:47   Link #73
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I love saki. Ffuuuuuuuuuuuuu season 2!!!!!.
Old 2011-07-26, 13:31   Link #74
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Don't worry - there certainly is. The manga, for example, is (as of my typing this post) up to the 4th round of the team semi-finals in the national tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
they already did that in the first season. Because the anime already catch up with the battle of Koromo and after that an anime original. I don't find that one bad because I like how the singles game played out.
Not all of it is original, just a large part. In the manga there are very brief references to what went on in the individual tournament (in a conversation between Fujita and Kazekoshi's mahjong coach iirc); the animators took that material and turned it into the 3 episodes worth. It is very likely imo that they conferred with the mangaka.
Old 2011-07-26, 22:40   Link #75
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Actually it's just the second round. It's not the semi finals yet. And I wouldn't call it enough material either, but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
In the manga there are very brief references to what went on in the individual tournament (in a conversation between Fujita and Kazekoshi's mahjong coach iirc); the animators took that material and turned it into the 3 episodes worth. It is very likely imo that they conferred with the mangaka.
It was the other way around, that chapter of the manga was released after its equivalent anime episode. What the manga did was taking the anime fillers and making them canon.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 23:40   Link #76
Belgaesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Don't worry - there certainly is. The manga, for example, is (as of my typing this post) up to the 4th round of the team semi-finals in the national tournament.
So it's probably gonna by a 12 episodes series, as the first season ended in the individual tornments before the national competition. I don't think there is enough material to make a full lenght 24 episode series, there is?
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 02:41   Link #77
tsunade666

Nope. The materials aren't going to make up for 24 episode. But just like before in season 1. I don't think they will push the anime up to that point of the story. So who knows.
Old 2011-07-27, 12:20   Link #78
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Actually it's just the second round. It's not the semi finals yet. And I wouldn't call it enough material either, but maybe that's just me.
Hmm ... in chapter 70 on pg 2 the English translation I have says "The Inter-high is now down to 16 teams, and 2 of them are first time participants." That means you are quite correct! My bad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
It was the other way around, that chapter of the manga was released after its equivalent anime episode. What the manga did was taking the anime fillers and making them canon.
Aha, good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
So it's probably gonna by a 12 episodes series, as the first season ended in the individual tornments before the national competition. I don't think there is enough material to make a full length 24 episode series, there is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Nope. The materials aren't going to make up for 24 episode. But just like before in season 1. I don't think they will push the anime up to that point of the story. So who knows.
I was kinda thinking a 12 or 13 season ep might be expected as well, although I would not complain for a longer season as long as they kept up the quality and such.
Old 2011-07-27, 16:32   Link #79
Dr. Casey

I would expect the second season to be 24 episodes. Shows are usually pretty consistent in episode counts... one cour shows get one cour sequels, two cour shows are followed up by subsequent two cour series... there's only a few that come to mind which don't follow that trend (K-On got upgraded from 13 to 26, Hayate got downgraded from 52 to 25).

I'll be looking forward to this show's opening theme, the first season of Saki had the most kickass fucking theme song ever.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 16:44   Link #80
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I'll be looking forward to this show's opening theme, the first season of Saki had the most kickass fucking theme song ever.
Enough so -- to make people HOOKED on playing the game.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri