AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-18, 19:12   Link #1
nhyn

Anime with sarcasm???

Can anyone please name a few titles that contain sarcasm/satire? Not parody, mind you. I've watched a lot of parodies...parody is basically mocking the subject by using the same form/motif/etc., but I'm looking for more anime that not only mocks the other anime series but also laughs at, say, issues in the Japanese society (well, that sounds kinda serious T_T but i mean, mocking something other than anime). Kinda like...um...South Park? (I don't expect anime to have anything like SP, good or bad you might think it be, but you know, the same kind of sarcasm).
Sometimes I think Haruhi is satire too, just, I can't pinpoint the satiric parts...
Please HELP ><
Old 2007-09-18, 20:20   Link #2
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

You think that because the male lead in haruhi is a sarcastic bastid (in a funny way). He is pretty much the same character in kanon 06 (tho this is a little more dramatic than you want).

I dont know, Lucky Star maybe? Hayate no Gotoku!? hard to draw that line between satire and sarcasm...

Old 2007-09-18, 21:57   Link #3
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

Muteki Kanban Msume (renamed: Ramen Fighter Miki) is getting a R1 DVD this week. There are plenty of jabs at action and martial arts genres there. And the veggie monger has an otaku vibe that's good for a laugh.

Moetan is definitely a stab at the lolicon craze, though probably better described as parody.

Seto No Hanayome delivers an interestingly silly look at crime, romance, and Yakuza family dramas. Plus they have an unusual monotone approach to SD scenes.
Old 2007-09-20, 02:51   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
SD Gundam anyone.
Old 2007-09-20, 05:43   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Moetan mocks itself so I think that it's good enough. It's the only anime I've watched so far where the humor comes from how bad it is, in a good way.
Old 2007-09-20, 10:22   Link #6
darksider

Puni Puni Poemy maybe?
This is anime-centric one, but not just for that... though I doubt if you like the metafictional and bizarre settings.
Old 2007-09-22, 11:36   Link #7
nhyn

Wow, thank you everyone for the suggestions! It's for my...English class on satire XD I'm doing a presentation lolz
And sorry to the mods and admin T_T I didn't pay enough attention T_T
Old 2007-09-22, 11:46   Link #8
Daughter!

Azumanga Daioh perhaps.
Old 2007-09-23, 19:38   Link #9
nhyn

^ I had so much trouble understanding the joke in Azumanga Daioh, and couldn't get past episode 1. Is it supposed to be mocking Japanese stereotypes or something?
Old 2007-09-23, 19:50   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyn View Post
^ I had so much trouble understanding the joke in Azumanga Daioh, and couldn't get past episode 1. Is it supposed to be mocking Japanese stereotypes or something?
How is Azumanga hard to understand...? I didn't have much trouble watching it even as an anime noob. I guess there are some cultural jokes but it's still very funny even if you don't get those... it's just straight up comedy. Of course, the humor may not be to your taste, but I'd give it more than an episode's chance. (I'm suggesting just in general, I don't know that it will work for your assignment ^^)
Old 2007-09-23, 20:00   Link #11
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
I guess Lucky Star kinda parodies anime and Otaku culture... sort of... haha hope I could be of help
Old 2007-09-23, 20:51   Link #12
MagicMango

Well, in SHnY, Kyon's voice bleeds sarcasm...
Old 2007-09-23, 20:52   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Lucky Channel segments in Lucky Star all satirize the "idol seiyuu" culture, though the joke wore thin after half-a-dozen episodes or so.

If you accept parody as a form of sarcasm, then you might want to watch Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade which is a succession of parodies of familiar popular culture genres -- RPGs, film noir, ero-ge, Hong Kong fighting movies, etc. It's pretty funny as well, yet has some touching moments.
Old 2007-09-23, 22:02   Link #14
nhyn

^ That anime (Abenobashi) actually came to my mind...I loved it, but wasn't sure if it was pure parody or was aiming for something...uh...deeper. According to my teacher, parody is a form and satire is a mode, so I guess if the anime is not simply parodying for humor but also to send a message (damn, this sounds so..."deep" T_T), there's still satire.

Haha and yes, Azumanga Daioh's humor, I heard, is a hate it or love it kind, so it must not have hit me. But I've heard great things about it, I should try.

Thanks for the replies hoping to see more suggestions
Old 2007-09-23, 22:33   Link #15
Keirn

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Is what comes to mind. It's about a teacher that wants to kill himself over things that society does. Usually he makes some very good points. Don't get me wrong though, this show is NOT depressing in any way, it's a hilarious comedy show with a very unique art style. There is also parodies and references to many other animes if you keep an eye out (I've spotted many, but the ones that stand out to me are the DBZ and Death Note references)
Old 2007-09-24, 21:18   Link #16
nhyn

^hahaha, did you notice my avatar? lolz
Many of the references escaped me, though. I've been trying to find the japanese wiki page dedicated to the references, to no avail. I was actually thinking of presenting this anime, except I will have to explain A LOT of the cultural references that even I don't understand lolz
I think so far (with regards to the subbed episodes) ep 7 is the most obvious in terms of satire "the media will carry anything they want to" lolz
Old 2007-09-25, 14:49   Link #17
Keirn

Yeah, lol. It's a great show. And no, I did NOT notice your avatar until you mentioned it lol, my bad >.<

And yeah, some references are hard to get. I think a good chunk of them come from the directors previous works, but I'm not sure.
Old 2007-09-25, 21:54   Link #18
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
nynn~ try xxxHolic, methinks.
Old 2007-09-26, 01:20   Link #19
tbl
Affably Evil

Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma is a really sarcastic character, well maybe more sardonic but anyway, he's sarcastic.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-09-27, 08:44   Link #20
Woland
Latin Rascal

For a clever and caustic satire I'd say NHK ni Yookoso... but the anime is sort of meh, expecially in that compartment. The anime is more a (sappy) romance with mild derivation from manga's satire and is a way too much accommodating with the characters (I don't know if it improve after the first half because I couldnt stand that thing anymore )... yeah the manga it's the real thing (but I don't know the Light novel, which is the original product ) and if you like Zetsubo Sensei, you have to read that.

Another very interesting series is Oruchuban Ebichu, it revolve around sex habit & fetish, so it may be a bit extreme, but undoubtedly funny to watch.

And if you don't mind old school anime Uruseiyatsura is the milestone of the genre (especially the part directed by Mamoru Oshii).
Closed Thread