AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-12-18, 07:49   Link #61
Satomi87
Banned

Vision of Escaflowne. Pretty forgivable as this one came in 1996.
Satomi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 00:15   Link #62
npcomplete

Tenshi na Konamaiki Has anyone seen that? I think it's a great series (albeit dragged out a little too long), but the character designs are just fugly. It seems as if they tried to improve it in later episodes though, since a change was noticeable.. or it could just have been inconsistent artwork.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 04:29   Link #63
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomi87 View Post
Vision of Escaflowne. Pretty forgivable as this one came in 1996.
Wait what?

Aishiteruze Baby comes to mind. It had a great, down to earth story at it's core but it looked like the animation team subsisted on water and old beef jerky during the entire project.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 13:03   Link #64
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Wait what?

Aishiteruze Baby comes to mind. It had a great, down to earth story at it's core but it looked like the animation team subsisted on water and old beef jerky during the entire project.
The anime looks better than the manga's art does, imho....=_=; I don't like Youko Maki's style, really....
Old 2009-12-19, 18:04   Link #65
palpatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
The anime looks better than the manga's art does, imho....=_=; I don't like Youko Maki's style, really....
hehe, I just found it different, but as time passed I began to like it.

Well, then there are the noses in soul eater. At first they bothered me extremly, but I got used to it more quickly than I would have thought.

Liar Game is a Manga, but lets hope it will get an anime soon
The bothersome thing here are the terribly big mouths when someone is shocked which occures quite often...

Well, I never saw an anime with an overall shitty art style, so my post is not that attached to the topic...
Old 2009-12-20, 12:08   Link #66
Atmospheric
Dango Time~

Soul Eater, eww. =x
Atmospheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 07:32   Link #67
Snickripep
I like MUDKIPZ! :3

As much as I love Key's series (AIR, Kanon 2006, and Clannad are three of my all-time favorite series), their art style in AIR really bugged me. I didn't notice it so much in Kanon (the newer version) or Clannad.
And again, I love the series, but the art style in the Fruits Basket anime bugged me. It's more suited to be seen drawn on paper, in my opinion.
Also, sometimes I didn't like Elfen Lied's art all that much either... I think it was the way Kohta was drawn. I don't know why I didn't like it. All I remember is that his really round face bugged me in the beginning.
Snickripep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 17:33   Link #68
GreatTeacherKen

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA (2000): Funny how the newer OVA looks worse both artwork wise and animation wise compared to the old one. Jotaro already looks like he's in his twenties in the original manga and OVA when he's supposed to be 17, but here he looks like he's 40! The older OVA did a better job of adapting the manga's artwork, which I feel gets better around part 3.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 18:32   Link #69
icab
Moe Moe Kyun~

I like the anime itself.
But i hate how the females look in Air.
The have Gigantic eyes and their mouths are in the middle of there face.
It made it rather hard to get attached to them.
icab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 23:12   Link #70
awkwardanimals

Bokura Ga Ita's art bothered me at first but the story is cute so I'll watch it any day haha.

Rurouni Kenshin's art bothers me too...idk why
Old 2009-12-29, 23:21   Link #71
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Initial D is the anime with the most aggressively disgusting art I have ever seen. Ya know, yay technical accuracy and an autistic savant protagonist, but damn.
Old 2009-12-29, 23:32   Link #72
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickripep View Post
As much as I love Key's series (AIR, Kanon 2006, and Clannad are three of my all-time favorite series), their art style in AIR really bugged me. I didn't notice it so much in Kanon (the newer version) or Clannad.
Based on the small number of screenshots I've seen, Air is one of those rare game to anime adaptations where the art style is very, very close to the original game. It's just a pity that Air had to be one of the few games to receive such an exacting adaptation of art style - if only the Tayutama anime looked as good as the DVD covers the artist for the game did.

Again going off a small number of screenshots, the game version of Kanon had an Air-like art style, but Kyoto modified it a bit for their adaptation.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 18:12   Link #73
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I'd have to say One Piece for worst character design. A few other series have been mentioned that did have rather sub-par art styles (eg Aishiteruze Baby and Initial D) but for its huge popularity and longevity, I just don't get One Piece.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 18:49   Link #74
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
I'd have to say One Piece for worst character design. A few other series have been mentioned that did have rather sub-par art styles (eg Aishiteruze Baby and Initial D) but for its huge popularity and longevity, I just don't get One Piece.
Its really sad that there are people who don't get One Piece's style and even sadder for those who didn't want to watch the show because of it.

If you're talking about artistry, One Piece character designs has more artistic creativity than most anime and manga out there. This is from my view as an artist.

It has such an enormous cast and yet it each character looks and feels completely unique. Besides a handful of characters that look a little like each other, every other character has a face and build that's different. Each design carefully brings out the culture and behavioral context of each character. You can feel a strong sense of character identity and personality just by the design.

While One Piece started out with relatively bad art, the mangaka, Eiichiro Oda, has gained so much experience and skill over the years that his character design is at master level. His characters made the series the most popular, best selling manga and anime in history.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 23:00   Link #75
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Initial D is the anime with the most aggressively disgusting art I have ever seen. Ya know, yay technical accuracy and an autistic savant protagonist, but damn.
Gotta agree on that one. The first stage wasn't bad but oh dear lord did it go down hill from there. If it wasn't for the "hachi roku" reeling me in I wouldn't have kept watching. Very very painfull.
Old 2009-12-31, 03:19   Link #76
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You really have to blame the mangaka of Initial D for such bad character designs.

He obviously can draw very well, not just with cars and tracks, he drew the characters really well for covers. But for some reason he just prefers to not give the characters attention in the pages itself, their expressions are really bad, especially the 'duck mouth'.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 03:44   Link #77
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I'd say Kemonozume was too weird for me. It's style is very raw and dark. I won't call it bad or 'the worst' since it obviously intended to be that way. http://www.catsuka.com/interf/icons2...creenshots.jpg Some of those screenshots actually look quite good but I couldn't seem to watch it.

It's fine if art styles are consistent throughout the series with what the producers want to achieve... unless it unintentionally becomes bad or weird due to sloppiness. Which reminds me of a pic I saw:

Spoiler:

But I guess that's more about quality rather than art style.

EDIT: Regarding the art quality: I was speaking generally and not about Kemonozume.

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2009-12-31 at 06:32.
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 06:32   Link #78
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Saikano I am currently watching this and the art is doing my head in!!!!
Higurashi S1 It is my favourite series BUT i didnt like how in series 1 their legs kept changing lengths etc.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 10:33   Link #79
Tealeafy
✿Higurashi+Umineko Fan✿

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickripep View Post
Also, sometimes I didn't like Elfen Lied's art all that much either... I think it was the way Kohta was drawn. I don't know why I didn't like it. All I remember is that his really round face bugged me in the beginning.
Me neither. I have no idea why... I just didn't like it all that much.
And AIR is one of my favorites, but the art took a while for me to warm up to.
Tealeafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 11:08   Link #80
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Yeah, Key's art is really weird. KyoAni makes it better, but some of it is still weird in Air.

Saikano's art is just...ehhh.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote