AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-14, 15:49   Link #121
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

As a general rule, I don't bring up my Anime hobby, nor do I show any outwards signs of it (besides the occasional desktop wallpaper featuring Mecha).

If there's a relevant conversation I'll bring it up, say if someone happens to be talking about the Death Note movie I might say "Eh, I thought the Anime was better...", and leave it at that. If it goes further great, if not...

It's not our job to evangelize our hobby. Know one likes a christian evangelist, I see no reason why people would like an Anime evangelist any more.

Besides, talking about film/TV makes for pretty dull conversation anyway. 90% of the time it comes down to "I like this, you like that, this is pretty good etc. etc."
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:40   Link #122
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
As a general rule, I don't bring up my Anime hobby, nor do I show any outwards signs of it (besides the occasional desktop wallpaper featuring Mecha).

If there's a relevant conversation I'll bring it up, say if someone happens to be talking about the Death Note movie I might say "Eh, I thought the Anime was better...", and leave it at that. If it goes further great, if not...

It's not our job to evangelize our hobby. Know one likes a christian evangelist, I see no reason why people would like an Anime evangelist any more.

Besides, talking about film/TV makes for pretty dull conversation anyway. 90% of the time it comes down to "I like this, you like that, this is pretty good etc. etc."
Well unless if you're shoving down your hobby down people's throats in a unsolicited manner and keep ringing my doorbell, telling me that all my hobbies but anime are wrong and I will suffer punishment for not listening to you, I don't think they can be compared. I don't think I've seen anyone do that for anime.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:47   Link #123
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Yeah bro, being open about your hobby and forcing it down other peoples throats are two entirely different things.

If you are short on a conversation, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the person if they watch any Japanese media, or just anime in general. If he says no, that's fine, there is nowhere left to go from there. If they say yes, then why not continue? But there is absolutely no reason to hide your hobby...
Old 2012-02-16, 22:49   Link #124
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I usually open with "Asian Cinema". That has a lot more "respectability" among those who don't know much.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 01:13   Link #125
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I talked often about anime with a fellow fan (of anime) and watch during the graveyard shifts to keep myself awake during the night duty.... Then one exchange party... a girl gave me "chopsticks" as a gift...it's embarrassing,,,,,
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 01:26   Link #126
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I see where Don is coming from though.
Geeks can get rather passionate and defensive of their hobbies, it's often best to express it in moderation. Not too unlike a fanatic evangelist.

I know this first hand, and I'm DAMN sure you all know what I'm talking about.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:42   Link #127
Shinji01

But I have to say…this question is like asking if all Americans are into football.

Im from japan and I can tell you, although anime is widely accepted in japan, it is just a certain percentage of the population who are passionate about it.
Many men will hide the fact that they are into anime/ manga when they meet girls, regardless of their level of fanaticism.

In a report conducted by China, the Japanese Otaku population is 1 in every 5 people, but the definition for being included as a otaku is not clarified… So I think the actual fanatics are much much less than that.
Also, most of the otaku (approx.. 50%) live in Tokyo. But the amount of money they spend is tremendous, meaning it is usually single young men living in Tokyo that fall into this catergory.
So I think you can say that it a more urban pass time than it is a popular hobby.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 22:05   Link #128
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

1 in 5 my ass.

1 in 50 would still be stretching it.
Old 2012-02-26, 03:12   Link #129
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
1 in 5 my ass.

1 in 50 would still be stretching it.
I agree. From my experience its about 4 or 5 kids in a 200 student year group that are into anime.

But its such a hard survey to conduct because you have to define "interested in anime".
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote