AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-12-08, 11:59   Link #9321
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I agree. So here's what happens. First, you are shown Miho saying her childhood was absolutely miserable. Then, you are shown Miho having a few good months.
Little Army never suggests Miho was miserable before she met Emi and the others. In fact, it suggests she was quite happy even before that point. She says she never had friends interested in Sensha-dou before but did have other friends. Besides she used to do Sensha-dou with her sister and loved every bit of it. Little Army Miho was a happy kid in general, not just happy for two months.

That's what make it so jarring when compared to Miho's accounts of her childhood in the anime.

Quote:
To say you can't accept the evidence of Miho having a few good months because you can't accept Miho not telling the truth is projecting your desires, or at least your convictions.
Like I said above, there is no evidence that Miho only had a few good month in her childhood; in fact, there's evidence to the contrary. But you know, even if there was such evidence, that still wouldn't suggest or imply that Miho is an unreliable narrator in the anime. That would only show the contradiction, and Miho not telling the truth is an explanation you, as a reader, came up with. But that's cheating. The story has to explain itself.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-12-08 at 12:42.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-08, 12:13   Link #9322
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
...I'm not going to make up explanations to justify a writer's fuck up, especially if I have to force an interpretation that was never suggested to make it work.
But that's what fandom is. </facetious>
Old 2015-12-08, 16:36   Link #9323
Nork22

Quote:
I was just re-reading Little Army and couldn't help to notice how much it contradicts the anime. Is this manga considered canon?
I always thought that the manga, especially Little Army, was more of a parallel universe storyline rather than full on 100% canon childhood story of Miho. It's no different from a lot of anime that was adapted into manga.

It's really weird how we don't mind the differences when an anime is adapted into manga, but we go full on hate when done the other way round.
Old 2015-12-08, 18:34   Link #9324
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
It's really weird how we don't mind the differences when an anime is adapted into manga, but we go full on hate when done the other way round.
It's a which-came-first problem with adaptations, with the first item usually being held as more canon. Most of the time that's manga (or LN) to anime, so...

Or there's the "the versions don't totally match up, you deal with it as you wish" Macross take on things.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-08, 18:41   Link #9325
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Don't forget that in Japan it is customary to play fast and loose about what is or isn't canon. This can be jarring if you are used to the Western fandom's habit of wanting official canonical story events.
Old 2015-12-08, 20:52   Link #9326
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Given the character art used for the film, it is likely we will see a flashback to Miho's childhood with Maho and be able to see for ourselves if Miho was happy or not.
Old 2015-12-08, 23:05   Link #9327
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I wonder how long until the BD comes out? I'm going to buy the best version of the BD edition.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 18:14   Link #9328
Top Sergeant

Quote:
You're not getting it. It's the events that don't match. In the anime Miho didn't have close friends before meeting Saori and Hana. That's not the case with Little Army Miho, who was really close to Emi, Hitomi and Chihiro. Also, unlike anime Miho, Little Army Miho was never forced to do Sensha-dou.

The writer fucked up the continuity.
I don't think anime Miho felt that she was forced to do sensha-do, I think it was the Nishizumi philosophy that she couldn't live with. If she detested sensha-do she wouldn't have become so bloody good at it.
Old 2015-12-10, 19:17   Link #9329
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
I don't think anime Miho felt that she was forced to do sensha-do, I think it was the Nishizumi philosophy that she couldn't live with. If she detested sensha-do she wouldn't have become so bloody good at it.
This.

It's also very believable and human to think that Miho's happy and positive memories have been overshadowed by all the negative, and/or she's suppressed them along with everything else just because it's easiest; the happy parts were hidden as collateral damage, as it were. They're also older memories than the most negative, traumatic ones, furthering this effect.

I haven't read Little Army myself yet, but I do know the premise and more or less the plot; I don't see any major issues here, Miho doesn't touch on anything at all from her past in the anime aside from last year's incident.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 19:28   Link #9330
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
I don't think anime Miho felt that she was forced to do sensha-do, I think it was the Nishizumi philosophy that she couldn't live with.
In the anime she explicitly says she was forced to do it. This wasn't the case in Little Army.

Quote:
If she detested sensha-do she wouldn't have become so bloody good at it.
In the anime she says that doing Sensha-do with Ooarai was the FIRST time it was enjoyable for her. This isn't true for Little Army Miho, who loved doing Sensha-do as a child even before she met Emi and the others.
Old 2015-12-10, 22:51   Link #9331
BleedingUranium

Quote:
In the anime she says that doing Sensha-do with Ooarai was the FIRST time it was enjoyable for her. This isn't true for Little Army Miho, who loved doing Sensha-do as a child even before she met Emi and the others.
It's either suppressed and/or tainted memories, a very real possibility, or a very minor retcon of one of two phrases. Unless you're hung up on every single word there really isn't a big deal here; the idea and premise doesn't conflict in the slightest.
Old 2015-12-10, 23:35   Link #9332
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
a very minor retcon of one of two phrases
It's probably a retcon. Although I wouldn't say it's very minor. There are more inconsistencies than those few lines I posted.

Quote:
Unless you're hung up
I'm not hung up on anything. I was just noting my impressions after re-reading the manga. That's all.
Old 2015-12-11, 16:01   Link #9333
BleedingUranium

Interesting. It seems our esteemed Saunders team captain's name is officially "Kei", not "Kay", per these that just showed up.

The other non-Japanese names in the set are spelled as expected; Darjeeling, Anchovy, and Alice, rather than Daajirin, Anchobi, and Arisu.

Is this a one-time slip-up, or is it really "Kei"? I do prefer "Kay" and it makes more sense thematically, so I'd love to know the official answer here.
Old 2015-12-11, 17:40   Link #9334
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
Interesting. It seems our esteemed Saunders team captain's name is officially "Kei", not "Kay", per these that just showed up.

The other non-Japanese names in the set are spelled as expected; Darjeeling, Anchovy, and Alice, rather than Daajirin, Anchobi, and Arisu.

Is this a one-time slip-up, or is it really "Kei"? I do prefer "Kay" and it makes more sense thematically, so I'd love to know the official answer here.
Its pronounced the same, so I'm good with it.

The official spelling reminds me of one of King Arthur's knights, who had the same name.
Old 2015-12-19, 22:01   Link #9335
c933103
FTNR

btw, http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Girls-...Blu-ray/89149/ this is not Anzio OVA right? And Anzio OVA have no western release yet?
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-20, 04:55   Link #9336
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
btw, http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Girls-...Blu-ray/89149/ this is not Anzio OVA right? And Anzio OVA have no western release yet?
That's right. Those are the original short OVA excluding the Anzio one.
Old 2016-01-08, 09:49   Link #9337
c933103
FTNR

http://m.huffpost.com/jp/entry/8936662 In last Decemeber, Oorari Town get 20 times more hometown tax from taxpayers than the whole year of 2014 thanks to Girls und Panzer goods amd other local products like Anglerfish pot. (Taxpayers who voluntarily pay tax to Oorari Town instead of to the town they currently live in can get some rewards like those that I have just mentioned, other town have similar schemes too) (Last December the town get 160 million yen tax compare to 7.6 million yen in the whole fiscal year of 2014.)
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 05:10   Link #9338
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

FYI if you didn't manage to get them the first time: The Ankour team as a set, available at WonFes2016...and online
http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product...+Team+Set.html

And the "Final Battle Spec" version of the PzIV:
http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product...+D+H+Spec.html
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-19, 17:30   Link #9339
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-01-19, 19:26   Link #9340
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Russian surveillance system enabled.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks