AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-09-05, 23:48   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Your preferred source for news

Seismic changes appear to be taking place in the information marketplace, and newspapers in particular seem ill-equipped to weather the storms. In my teen-aged and college years, television news was the pre-eminent source of information here in the US. If Walter Cronkhite didn't mention it, it wasn't part of "the way it is" for most Americans.

These days it appears there is no dominant medium for information as traditional media like newspapers and television compete with aggregators like Yahoo! and Google and with blogs from a wide variety of commentators. Demographics also play a major role in fragmenting the audience for news with younger people like most of you here on AS relying more heavily on the Internet.

I'm especially interested in the intersection between these technological trends and the political context in which they occur. Do people in states with stricter government controls over media outlets turn more often to the Internet to get a less-biased view? If so, is that true of older citizens as well as younger ones?

I'll start this discussion with some data from the US.

How about you? Do you rely more on the Internet for news than on other media? How about your parents? Why or why not?

Personally, I rely mostly on National Public Radio, the BBC on both radio and television, and The Economist.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 23:54   Link #2
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
How about you?
I get my news entirely from the internet. I check news aggregators daily to keep up, but I also occasionally check dedicated sites like BBC News, Times of India, Japan Times, etc. "Fun news" I get from sites like digg.com. While I get tech news from blogs, I still prefer "real" news websites or aggregators of those sites to blogs when it comes to politics, world issues, etc.

I don't watch television, and I only read newspapers when I'm getting on a long bus ride.

Quote:
How about your parents?
At the moment, my parents have also fully converted to using the internet to check news. Since English is not their first language, they don't have quite a wide variety as I do, but it is effective nonetheless.

Quote:
Why or why not?
It's fast, it's free, and you can get a variety of perspectives easily. I don't see any benefits in using TV news or newspapers instead.

Well, that's not entirely true. There is something in the family sitting down to watch and discuss the nightly news that doesn't happen now.

P.S. Why is this in General anime?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 06:53   Link #3
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I always watch BBC news on the TV.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 06:54   Link #4
Gin
*Artist

The Onion News Network.
Old 2009-09-06, 07:04   Link #5
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
All the news I get is practically from the inet. I never really read the newspapers because truth be told, I'm not exactly up to reading endless columns of microscopic text. Reading news on a screen is much easier on the eyes iibh. The sites I usually check are CNN or BBC along with The Economist for my business news. I would watch TV as well, but I don't have a TV where I am atm.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 07:10   Link #6
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How about you?
I watch the news on the TV. There are channels that display news 24h/24. I also read newspapers, but not every day.

Quote:
Do you rely more on the Internet for news than on other media?
No. I rarely read the news on the frontpage of my ISP main website page. Or I read some news when people send me links, but that's all about internet.

Quote:
How about your parents?
They almost don't use internet. They dislike internet. So they watch the news on TV, and my father buys newspapers.

Quote:
Why or why not?
Taste. I prefer to watch the news on TV. I almost don't surf on internet. I visit only a few sites (animesuki is one of them).
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 07:23   Link #7
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
They dislike internet.
Blasphemy!!!!!!
Old 2009-09-06, 07:32   Link #8
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Truth be told I probably haven't experimented with enough news sources to have a "preferred" source. I usually only watch BBC and Channel 4 news a few times a week. I want to get more into a routine of checking news daily, since I only use aggregators to check sport news.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 07:33   Link #9
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
How about you? Do you rely more on the Internet for news than on other media? How about your parents? Why or why not?
Well mostly internet (via RSS flux) for me but I read a lot of newspaper and review too (LeMonde, Courrier International, International Herald Tribune, SVM, S&V etc...). I prefer internet over TV because I don't like how they treat the news on TV >_> For my parent it's mostly public radio (France Inter) and newspaper
Old 2009-09-06, 11:46   Link #10
Slice of Life
eyewitness

As I already mentioned in the other thread, I know many people who don't own a TV set anymore, and I'm one of them by myself. So I don't watch TV news at all.

For those who don't know: I'm German, 38 years old. I was a TV news junkie in my late teens and early 20s (1985-1995, say) before the advent of the WWW. TV was my only source of daily news as reading a newspaper would have been too time consuming (I read weekly magazines/newspapers though, Der Spiegel in my teens, later Die Zeit).

The news coverage of the two German public broadcasters is actually not that bad it seems - in contrast to the rest of their program. News on private channels is a joke and always has been.

I feel a bit stupid explaining the advantages of internet news to you all but here it goes: interesting parts are easy to select, additional and background information at your fingertips, not being dependent of a broadcasting schedule, mostly pure textual information instead of pictures of politicians shaking hands and cameramen filming each other while waiting for something.

Public TV channels face some restrictions on the internet (compared to, say BBC online). The philosophy behind this is that the online media market are more alike to the press market and shouldn't be distorted by public money. (They also rely heavily on TV news clips of course, so again lots of shaking hands.) The major German internet news sources are thus mostly spin-offs of print media, three of which I follow regularly (together with English and French sources). General-political blogs play hardly a role if they're not part of such a print media spin-off. Independent blogs are typically amateurish, opinionated and polemic.

My parents are in their 70s. They don't own a computer and never needed one. My sisters are a greater cause of concern. They are both about a decade older than me, are young enough to need a computer at work but don't feel like having one at home. It is said that there is a deep digital divide in this country between what has been dubbed the "Generation C64" and younger and those who are older. I don't know how true this really is in general but it neatly explains the situation in my family.
Old 2009-09-06, 12:26   Link #11
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
My parents are in their 70s. They don't own a computer and never needed one. My sisters are a greater cause of concern. They are both about a decade older than me, are young enough to need a computer at work but don't feel like having one at home. It is said that there is a deep digital divide in this country between what has been dubbed the "Generation C64" and younger and those who are older. I don't know how true this really is in general but it neatly explains the situation in my family.
Well, there are people who can live well without a computer or internet at home...

Now about internet in my family. I use internet since 2008, i am the only one in my family to spend some time on it even if I don't surf a lot as said above.

It doesn't mean that we have less knowledges than the ones who do (I can see it now that I use internet a bit, I don't feel like having less knowledges). Most people at my school use internet since a long time, and actually, a lot of them have less knowledges than me. Internet is great, "maybe" (I myself dislike a good part of it for some reasons) i am not sure because we read a lot and I never felt like being so outdated news-wise. About internet, it depends how you use it. My classmates don't spend their time learning things on internet. Yes, maybe they read more worldwide news than me, but do they learn things more than me thanks to it? For most, no.

I still don't understand when somebody says to me that they can't live without internet. I did during nearly all my life, and I don't feel any different than them Now I don't say they are stupid, but I just remind them that they should not talk for "everyone".

Last edited by Narona; 2009-09-06 at 12:48.
Old 2009-09-06, 13:14   Link #12
Kusa-San

Well internet is a very useful tool but it's true that we can live without it for the moment. But I don't think it will be the case in the future. Internet is the epitome of information and communication and it's becoming more and more indispensable at work. So I think it's important for people, to know how to use internet to be, at least, aware of these dangerousness.

And one point which is important with Internet and why I think it's a very useful and powerful tool, it's that it's not something that government can easly control (which is not the case with TV etc...). For example, with wikipedia where many governement try to modify some informations but always miserably fail
Old 2009-09-06, 13:18   Link #13
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
How about you?
My media of choice is paper, I read free newspapers while commuting, and I enjoy reading the Economist. When given the occasion I read other newspapers to compare informations.
When I'm staying at home I rely on the internet, mainly the multimedia website of my region's major publisher.
I scarcely watch TV news, but I used to watch them regularly before they became so dumbed down and boring.

Quote:
Do you rely more on the Internet for news than on other media?
No. I just enjoy paper

Quote:
How about your parents?
They used to rely on newspaper and TV for News, but now they use more the internet than I do.

Quote:
Why or why not?
My parents and even my grandfather were working with computers even before PC existed, so they caught the www train early. Also the quality of local newspapers steadily declined, they are also all politically oriented the same way, and of course foreign Newspapers won't provide local News.
Old 2009-09-06, 13:37   Link #14
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Well internet is a very useful tool but it's true that we can live without it for the moment. But I don't think it will be the case in the future. Internet is the epitome of information and communication and it's becoming more and more indispensable at work.
Depends which jobs.

About informations and knowledges, I dislike how many people almost dropped books, and think that reading things on the net is enough (if they read at all...). What next? Dropping writing on paper? <_< People become dependent while they could diversify how to get news and knowledges.

I'll create a Books defence force club

Quote:
So I think it's important for people, to know how to use internet to be, at least, aware of these dangerousness.
Even if you don't use it, no need to be einstein to guess how it can be dangerous in many ways. Now many parents here, for example, don't even "think" about it, they don't care, sadly. Now sure, if parents decide to give internet to their "little" kids, they should know how to use it themselves first. But there are also some parents who use internet, but don't care to think that it can be dangerous for their children.

In my family, internet is forbidden for kids, but my parents explained why, and no one complains. So no problem~

Quote:
it's that it's not something that government can easly control (which is not the case with TV etc...). For example, with wikipedia where many governement try to modify some informations but always miserably fail
It has its good side, but there's also a bad side. People can also spread false infos easily, and also, I don't believe that total freedom is good.

I am part of the minority who dislikes that there's no control and limit over it.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-09-06 at 13:52.
Old 2009-09-06, 13:44   Link #15
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Well, there are people who can live well without a computer or internet at home... *snip*
I don't know what of the above is an answer to what I said, what to what you simply assume I meant, and what are unrelated remarks. Soi I can't really answer without heating up the discussion even more.

Of course I can live without the internet. Or even without electric power. Or even my eye sight. But I don't want too. I lived without the all-knowing trash heap for half my life and remember well the frustration of not finding the knowledge I'm looking for in my parents outdated encyclopedia. Access to daily news is really the least problem here. Although the variety and scope that is offered for free is not something I'd like to miss either.
Old 2009-09-06, 13:47   Link #16
mit7059

Mostly from the nytimes website, i would like to get home delivery like my parents do but that would be hard at my apartment

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 13:48   Link #17
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I don't know what of the above is an answer to what I said, what to what you simply assume I said, and what are unrelated remarks. Soi I can't really answer without heating up the discussion even more.

Of course I can live without the internet. Or even without electric power. Or even my eye sight. But I don't want too. I lived without the all-knowing trash heap for half my life and remember well the frustration of not finding the knowledge I'm looking for in my parents outdated encyclopedia. Access to daily news is really the least problem here. Although the variety and scope that is offered for free is not something I'd like to miss either.
It was more a general rant than anything else (and also to be sure that Kusa will post. We don't agree with each other about internet. Isn't it, Kusa )

But you seemed very converned about your sisters (the "" talks a lot). My point was also that despite using a computer at work, if they don't feel like they need one at home, is it a big problem? ^^

Last edited by Narona; 2009-09-06 at 13:50. Reason: wrote "work" two times, sorry :heh:
Old 2009-09-06, 14:01   Link #18
Kusa-San

Quote:
Depends which jobs.
True, for the moment at least.

Quote:
About informations and knowledges, I dislike how many people almost dropped books, and think that reading things on the net is enough (if they read at all...). What next? Dropping writing on paper? <_< People become dependent while they could diversify how to get news and knowledges.
That's remind me something very important, Internet is not the same kind of media than a book or a TV. It's a tool for communicating and the difference is very important. Futhermore, I think paper book will maybe disaspear (but maybe not) for digital book (e-books). So in the end, Internet is not a threat source for book but just a different support for book. In the future, you will download a book via internet and then read them on your e-book !

Quote:
I'll create a Books defence force club
Sadly, you can't since you have too much (many ?) club

Quote:
Even if you don't use it, no need to be einstein to guess how it can be dangerous in many ways. Now many parents here, for example, don't even "think" about it, they don't care, sadly. Now sure, if parents decide to give internet to their "little" kids, they should know how to use it themselves first. But there are also some parents who use internet, but don't care to think that it can be dangerous for their children.
Well I think it's important for parent to know how internet works since their children will surely one day using it. There is too many parents who know nothing about internet but let their children use it and it's not acceptable ! And I'm sure that there is many people who don't know about DoS, DDoS, phishing etc...

Quote:
It has its good side, but there's also a bad side. People can also spread false infos easily, and also, I don't believe that total freedom is good

That's true (and I agree with total freedom) but if you know how to use it, you know how to avoid internet traps.
Old 2009-09-06, 14:04   Link #19
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
But you seemed very converned about your sisters (the "" talks a lot). My point was also that despite using a computer at work, if they don't feel like they need one at home, is it a big problem? ^^
Yes. Because it's not a reflected decision like it would be if they had no car (they don't have one in fact) or no telephone but pure inflexibility. Which is extremely sad for people not even 50.
Old 2009-09-06, 14:08   Link #20
Alchemist007
*Author

Yahoo! news. Also other forum.

Tags
social media