AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-18, 23:09   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 582 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Once again, we've got us some early spoilers via Apprentice! However, it's quite a short summary, so not much info is revealed. Well, here we go:

-Two weeks have passed since the events at Marineford took place. Luffy is still in the middle of recovering. Meanwhile, Iva heads back to Kamabakka with the newkamas.

-A flashback taking place 10 years ago begins. We're finally properly introduced to Dadan, who might actually be female since his/her full name is "Carly Dadan".

Like I said, not much info. Still, I think what we have is interesting on its own, especially the prospect of us getting a full look into Luffy's past (so apparently Dadan is an old lady, eh....?). Also, since Iva is heading back to his home island, I guess this means he'll be meeting up with Sanji pretty soon. Well, the full summary + pics should come along within another day or two, methinks......

Also, remember that there will be another break after this chapter due to the Golden Week holiday (this goes for the rest of the SJ lineup as well, not just OP)....
Old 2010-04-18, 23:15   Link #2
james0246

Good place for a flashback. Can't wait to see chibi-Luffy and Ace...
Old 2010-04-18, 23:29   Link #3
marvelB

Well, if we're going to get a full Luffy/Ace flashback (which I welcome with open arms, by the way ), I guess we'll get a look into that "Sabo's incident" thing that Ace was talking about before he died. And heck, maybe we'll actually get some dirt on Luffy's mother (as well as any possible new info on Dragon). This is going to be very interesting, indeed......
Old 2010-04-18, 23:54   Link #4
Blackbeard D. Kuma

So we'll finally get to have a good look at Dadan. This character has been shrouded in mystery for years now, so I eagerly await to discover more about him/her. If Garp entrusted Luffy's and Ace's upbringing into Dadan's care, Dadan must truly be a special person.
Old 2010-04-18, 23:57   Link #5
james0246

^And Garp should be doubly upset considering how badly Dadan screwed up (at least since they became pirates instead of marines).
Old 2010-04-19, 00:00   Link #6
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Aha! Yes! Here's my "time skip". Too bad Luffy is still recovering. Guess Oda will cover individual chapters of Luffy getting fully healed and maybe? we'll see arcs on how the other members come back.
Old 2010-04-19, 00:12   Link #7
marvelB

Yeah, I kinda doubt that the 2 weeks count as the "full" timeskip, since Luffy's still in the middle of recovering. For all we know, the flashback may last another two weeks or longer in Luffy's mind, since this may be how he will confront his personal demons and eventually recover from the shock of Ace's death. However, I do believe that we may get more glimpses of the rest of the crew soon enough. As I already pointed out earlier, the fact that Iva's heading back to Kamabakka should definitely mean we'll at least be seeing Sanji again (heh, imagine if he actually became the next king of the trannies! ).
Old 2010-04-19, 02:44   Link #8
Jaieni

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, I kinda doubt that the 2 weeks count as the "full" timeskip, since Luffy's still in the middle of recovering. For all we know, the flashback may last another two weeks or longer in Luffy's mind, since this may be how he will confront his personal demons and eventually recover from the shock of Ace's death. However, I do believe that we may get more glimpses of the rest of the crew soon enough. As I already pointed out earlier, the fact that Iva's heading back to Kamabakka should definitely mean we'll at least be seeing Sanji again (heh, imagine if he actually became the next king of the trannies! ).
Or he'll be the third girl on the crew! Still chasing after other girls of course.
Old 2010-04-19, 03:45   Link #9
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Well, I think the only thing that came out of the previous spoilers that was really off was that the Supernovas were still at Sabondy Archipelago. They were just off shore of Marineford.

Since we saw that Sanji really embarrassed the Okama Way. It really makes you wonder how this will effect him in the long run. Could you just imagine what would happen if Zoro ever saw a picture of what Sanji was dressed like?
Old 2010-04-19, 05:53   Link #10
seiji_kun

The way Ace talked about Dadan lead me to expect that Dadan was a male. And Iva returning, kind of hope he does meet Sanji but he should've left already cause else it means he stayed at Kamabakka for a month which he shouldn't cause he should be trying to reunite with his crew asap. But I do want to see Sanji's face when Iva tells him Luffy is at the island of women.

I'm just wondering if it's like Marvelb says, is this just taking place in his mind while he's still a sleep or will we see Luffy already woken up. And can't wait to see how they'll be welcomed in Amazon Lily and see the reaction of all the amazons when they hear of Luffy's state.
Old 2010-04-19, 07:35   Link #11
Paraden1989

I woldn't be surprised if Dadan's true name was Clary D. Adan lol =?

I know this might sound corny, but i my idea does kind of make sense. since Blackbeard is a "D" and now has two devil fruit powers, and now it is possible for possibly the "D's" to eat two devil fruit with out exploding. lets say Shanks extracts Ace's Mera Mera Fruit, and has Rockstar give it to Luffy? this the corny part Luffy would then be a human example on "burning rubber," but i believe it would be helpful for Luffy because he could develop Gear 4 with both fruits. picture gear 2 but with flames too.

Last edited by Paraden1989; 2010-04-19 at 07:46.
Old 2010-04-19, 08:20   Link #12
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
The way Ace talked about Dadan lead me to expect that Dadan was a male.
Same here. When Ace was about to die, he said "If you ever happen to run across Dadan...could you tell him goodbye from me?" I think that statement is indicative of Dadan being a male.
Old 2010-04-19, 09:18   Link #13
PrototypeX2

I hope its much more than just luffy co arriving on island and Dadan flashback.At least we should know about Moria's fate.
Old 2010-04-19, 09:19   Link #14
Jaieni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Same here. When Ace was about to die, he said "If you ever happen to run across Dadan...could you tell him goodbye from me?" I think that statement is indicative of Dadan being a male.
What was the phrase in Japanese though? Oda may have not used the pronoun "he" and the translators may have taken liberties.
Old 2010-04-19, 09:43   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaieni View Post
What was the phrase in Japanese though? Oda may have not used the pronoun "he" and the translators may have taken liberties.
I'm not sure. Maybe Aohige can clarify this for us. Another reason why I think Dadan is a male is because Ace said "Now that I'm about to die...I even feel like I miss that idiot..." Of course, Ace meant that in a humorous way, but females (especially elderly ones) are never really addressed as such.
Old 2010-04-19, 10:33   Link #16
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaieni View Post
In general, Japanese does not use third person pronouns (equivalents of "he", "she") very often. They didn't even exist until the 19th century IIRC. This is why it can be quite easy to have a long conversation in Japanese about someone without giving any clue as to their gender.

Can cause translators problems when the author is being tricky.

I'll see if I can dig up a RAW for the chapter in question... Edit Okay, found RAW. Yep, nothing indicating gender in Ace's words.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:24   Link #17
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
In general, Japanese does not use third person pronouns (equivalents of "he", "she") very often. They didn't even exist until the 19th century IIRC. This is why it can be quite easy to have a long conversation in Japanese about someone without giving any clue as to their gender.

Can cause translators problems when the author is being tricky.

I'll see if I can dig up a RAW for the chapter in question... Edit Okay, found RAW. Yep, nothing indicating gender in Ace's words.
Thanks for the info .

Man, I hate ambiguities. But we'll find out in this chapter whether Dadan is a man or a woman.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:28   Link #18
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I'm not sure. Maybe Aohige can clarify this for us. Another reason why I think Dadan is a male is because Ace said "Now that I'm about to die...I even feel like I miss that idiot..." Of course, Ace meant that in a humorous way, but females (especially elderly ones) are never really addressed as such.
Same here, the idiot part just doesn't strike me like something that would've been used to describe a female. If she was female I kind of expected that they would've talked more dearly about her cause she would've been the closest thing they had to resemble a mother or grandmother figure.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:43   Link #19
ZeroForever

2 weeks... not bad expected more, but it's longer then his previous recoveries at least. Feels kinda strange to have a flash back now but i should be interesting.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:56   Link #20
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Oh that's true. This flashback itself could be a mini-arc or something. After Luffy wakes up it's been a whole MONTH! Yay! lol.

I'm still waiting to see the chapter where Sanji finally meets Hancock.