AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-07-08, 11:10   Link #741
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post

So me this picture.

At once.
As you wish

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

Edit: Game Informer August Cover Spread
Spoiler for Space saving:

Do want, will buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Sounds like they're going the Mass Effect route to tighten up the narrative for a more cinematic Dragon Age experience.
"I'm Commander Shephard Hawke and this is my favorite store in Ferelden!"

Last edited by Who; 2010-07-08 at 11:21.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 17:09   Link #742
hollowinsideme
Banned

anyone else think that is morrigan in the game informer cover.
hollowinsideme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 19:12   Link #743
kujoe
from head to heel

Some people are speculating that she's her daughter due to what seems to be draconic traits.

Personally, I'm not that fond of this development. Dragon Age was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, and while I like Mass Effect 2, I'm worried that DA2 would be too simplified... or even worse, dumbed down. I want a party that I can control, equip and use in a tactical environment. I'm hoping that pulling a 'Shepard' in this case only applies to the player character interaction and not referring to a Mass Effect-style change in direction of gameplay. On the other hand, perhaps the player character will get his/her own voice this time around.

I'm also wondering about Morrigan. She seems to be the focus of speculation now due to the recent announcement of the sequel. If we're not seeing her here (or any of the Origins characters for that matter), I would at least want more DLC to further expand DAO.

Another thing that caught my attention, is the piece of info revealing that the story takes place in a span of a decade, which means the player character will eventually age in some manner as the story progresses.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 12:00   Link #744
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hmmm dunno what to think about it yet , wait for more info but i'm surprised for this sudden change .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 13:34   Link #745
Who

Dropping some more stuff off, images and info and whatnot:

Spoiler for space saving:

Press Release link:
Dragon Age 2 EA Press Release

TL;DR (facts about Hawke/DA2):
-Hawke is not god baby; nor is Morrigan the mom
-Human, can be male or female, usual appearance customization options remain intact along with class selection.
-The game takes place probably in the second half of the Dragon Age (since DA starts around the 30th year or so of that age. Some people are speculating it's a prequel instead of "sequel" but that's highly doubtful due to what's been stated (Hawke being a Blight survivor and there being a 400 year lapse between Fourth and Fifth Blights).
-More DLC and patches for DA, both Origins and Awakening before DA2 (not too hopeful on this due to you get less than what you pay for)
-Hawke WILL be fully voiced
-Hawke used to live in Lothering prior to the start of the Blight before he fled north to Kirkwall. One small speculation is that if DA2 starts with Hawke's escape from Lothering, then technically, your Warden and his companions are still alive, making DA2 somewhat concurrent with DA:O and A.
-On that note, Kirkwall is in the Free Marches, so we're OUTSIDE of Ferelden and basically right below the Tevinter Imperium (might have connection to mage lady in Game Informer Cover?)
-According to Game Informer, this isn't about a Blight or some ancient evil; so we'll have to wait and see what the plotline will be like.

Last edited by Who; 2010-07-09 at 13:55.
Old 2010-07-10, 01:17   Link #746
kujoe
from head to heel

Hmmm. I can imagine a Front Mission 5 style chronology here.

If Hawke's adventure begins after the flight from Lothering, and thereafter takes place in the span of ten years, then his story will go past the events of Awakenings. Perhaps we'll see events taking place while the events of DAO and DAA were going on and then beyond that, but the setting is no longer Ferelden. Moreover, according to Game Informer, the narrative of DA2 is being retold as it happened in the past.

Some more info:

1) We will be able to import our DA:O games into DA2. (!)

2) We will see Flemeth at some point. (!)

3) Pissing off party members won't always be a bad thing. "They won't necessarily leave. They may still join you, but they're going to try to show you up, and that may influence battle in a different way."

4) We're getting the ME2 conversation wheel, but this time instead of having some dialogue be a particular color the center of the wheel will show a symbol to show what kind of reply it is. (The article uses the examples of them being something like aggressive or sarcastic) (wait, what?)

5) The way the story unfolds will be very different compared to the past Bioware games. "Dragon Age II has a framed narrative structure, which means that the exploits of Hawke occured in the past, but are being retold in the present." "Narrators with unique insights into the events in question tell the tale of his past adventures."

6) We may get to see some of the DA:O events at the start from a different perspective. "Dragon Age II begins as the events of Origins are still taking place, so you may see some familiar events from a different angle."

7) Because of the game spanning a decade, we get to see the consequences of our actions sooner, rather than in a little text at the end of the game.

8) The PC version's combat system remains mostly the same. "The PC version implements the same strategic approach afforded by a mouse-and-keyboard control scheme." "Rather than try to mimic the PC experience on consoles, Dragon Age II has a battle system more tailored to the strengths of the PS3 and 360."

source

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-07-10 at 01:38.
Old 2010-07-10, 03:48   Link #747
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
4) We're getting the ME2 conversation wheel, but this time instead of having some dialogue be a particular color the center of the wheel will show a symbol to show what kind of reply it is. (The article uses the examples of them being something like aggressive or sarcastic)
Reminds me of the Bard's Tale when they say it like that. Regardless it seems much larger then "Snarky" or "Nice" choices. I just hope this doesn't become too much like ME2, just in a medieval setting.

Quote:
1) We will be able to import our DA:O games into DA2. (!)
Interesting. If they survived, of course.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 05:06   Link #748
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Reminds me of the Bard's Tale when they say it like that. Regardless it seems much larger then "Snarky" or "Nice" choices. I just hope this doesn't become too much like ME2, just in a medieval setting.
It's probably like the one in Alpha Protocol, where you're given a description as to what kind of reply you can choose to make during dialogues. Mass Effect 1 & 2 have dialogue choices paraphrased that are colour-coded depending on the moral alignment. I hope the system in DA2 is at least a mix of both.

DAO has the entire dialogues written down for the player to read, and that's what I prefer. Is bringing the dialogue system down to mere icons supposed to open up the game to a wider audience? Are people just too lazy to read?

As for the importing of DAO save files, I think it's more for the sake of establishing background events that may referenced or highlighted in DA2. If for example, you made Anora a queen, perhaps that will be mentioned in a conversation at some point. If your Warden is dead, that could be mentioned as a historical fact, and so on.
Old 2010-07-10, 17:57   Link #749
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

So has anyone tried "Leliana's song" ? I read some review and it seems that was pretty good , enjoyable , pleasant , with good story and new musics . Around ~2h to play .
Old 2010-07-17, 13:31   Link #750
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yup .

More info :

Key Points

* The story of DA2 starts at the time of the darkspawn attack on Ferelden.
* Flemeth will appear
* Mages will have slow-motion finishing moves.
* Mages have been given more flexibility in battle
* There is significant difference in different classes as they engage in combat. This likely refers to more difference in fighting styles between warriors and rogues.

More pics :

To resume :

Quote:

Introduction

* Dragon Age is a multifaceted story, Dragon Age II marks a shift to another facet; while the Grey Warden quelled the Blight in Ferelden, other people across Thedas had their own adventures.
* Dragon Age II takes place in a new region, with a new hero and story.
* The new hero's tale begins in Lothering.

Lead-in

* BioWare is one of the premier RPG developers in the world, gamers embraced Dragon Age: Origins' old-school aesthetic because of BioWare's skillful implementation.
* BioWare views Dragon Age as an enduring property with multiple installments, knows that old-school mechanics can't be counted on forever.
* Dragon Age II more than a sequel, establishes a new identity for the Dragon Age universe, no longer bound by being a spiritual successor to another series.
* Executive Director Mark Darrah: "At the core, what we're doing is trying to give Dragon Age a shot of adrenaline. It means amping everything up... but keeping what already works."
* Dragon Age II will not leave behind its roots, just allows players to experience elements in new ways and expand lore.

"The Champion"

* Hawke is a legend in his time, Champion of Kirkwall; like all legends, his history is shrouded in mystery and rumor. He escaped Lothering as it was destroyed and fled to Kirkwall. What Hawke did between his escape and his rise to prominence is covered by Dragon Age II.
* No "ancient evil you have to defeat", the game revolves around the question of who Hawke is that is answered by player decisions.
* Hawke is a more defined character than the Warden from the previous game. He/she is human, but this allows BioWare to provide voice acting for the character, a cue taken from BioWare's Mass Effect franchise. BioWare felt limited by keeping the Warden mute.
* Dragon Age II will use a conversation system similar to Mass Effect, players will select dialogue options from a wheel. An icon at the wheel's center illustrates an option's intent, like aggressive or sarcastic.

"Consistent Universe"

* Mass Effect let players carry over decisions between games, Dragon Age players can expect a similar level of consistency from Dragon Age II.
* Choices the Warden from the first game made are reflected in the sequel, such as who is ruling Ferelden and who killed the Archdemon.
* BioWare's goal is to let decisions carry across different platforms as well. Executive Director Mark Darrah: "...If you played the first game on PC and the second game on console, we'd be able to react to your choices."
* Dragon Age II has an established canon if the player has not completed the first game.

Notable Image Captions

* Will we see any character from Origins in Dragon Age II? "We are certainly not done with Morrigan's story," hints lead designer Mike Laidlaw. "I can say that."
* Darkspawn are still a threat in Dragon Age II, but they are less dangerous without an archdemon to lead them.

"A Story in Pieces"

* Major goal of the game is to expand the player's understanding of the universe as a whole.
* Story will span 10 years of Hawke's life, new format has allowed BioWare to "mess around" with the narrative structure of their previous games: go through the intro, beat stand-alone areas, then play the final mission.
* Hawke's adventures occurred in the past, are being retold in the present where Hawke is already Kirkwall's champion.
* Story is essentially a conversation between a male dwarf named Varric and a female Chantry Seeker. At the time, the world is on the brink of war; the Seeker believes that by understanding Hawke's actions, she can prevent the war. Varric is a reluctant narrator of Hawke's story.

Notable Image Captions

* Dragon Age II begins as the events of Origins are still taking place, so you may see some familiar events from a different angle.

"Make Your Choice"

* Dragon Age II continues tradition of no defined morality system.
* Consequences of decisions will be experienced much sooner because the game encompasses a larger span of time. If you save a city, it will be there later in the narrative; if the city is destroyed, the player can see how that affects the region.
* Mike Laidlaw: "Instead of waiting 80 hours for an epilogue that tells me who got married and who did what, I get to see those interactions within hours."
* Like Origins, there will be a range of major and minor choices.
* In Origins, party members would abandon the Warden if he made decisions they did not like, resulting in players not using certain party members even if they were the best ones to use for a quest. This "meta-game" is gone in Dragon Age II. If a character disagrees with the player's actions, they may still complain. However, the player can now be openly hostile to party members and still unlock combat bonuses, previously only available when the player established positive relationships.

"A Makeover for Thedas"

* Origins' visuals did not translate well to consoles from PC, team is making an effort to "hot rod the art" and make it distinct.
* BioWare believes Origins' art style was "a little bit messy, kind of overwrought, pretty generic."
* New art style consists of "better use of negative space and more angular, grim depictions of your surroundings."
* Team felt that the "whimsical qualities" of Origins' art "didn't reflect the austere nature of the world."

"A Better Battlefield"

* Mike Laidlaw: "Warrior, mage, and rogue are archetypes for a reason, but I don't know that Origins delineated between the enough... A rogue dual-wielding was just a warrior with less armor in some cases. What I want to do is make sure that you feel like this unstoppable juggernaut, a lithe super-ninja, or field artillery."
* Mark Darrah: "What we want to do is give the player more depth of choice. So you might really like the fireball. We're going to let you customize and enhance the fireball itself, so by the end of the game you're actually tailoring that spell to the way you want it to be."
* Fewer abilities overall, but more ways to customize them as the player prefers.

Notable Image Captions

* This dragon is more than it appears. After swooping down and grabbing a darkspawn in its talons, it transforms into a familiar figure: Flemeth. Still holding the dead darkspawn in her hand, Flemeth walks through the flames and approaches Hawke, saying: "Well, well. What have we here?"
* Warrior, rogue, and mage are the three base classes, but each one will feature even more specializations.

"Two Dragon Ages"

* "BioWare acknowledges a disparity in the gameplay on the platforms. Where the PC version emphasized a pause-and-play approach heavy on strategy, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions couldn't deliver tactics on the same level."
* PC versions of Dragon Age II will retain the strategic feel of Origins, but console versions will be "more tailored to the strengths of the PS3 and 360." Console versions to be faster and more responsive, "no more shuffling into position as you wait for your maneuver to activate."
* Versions across all platforms will have the same content despite different gameplay methodologies.

Notable Image Captions

* Magic spells can now deal finishing blows, like making an ogre explode with crushing prison.
So what do you think ?
Old 2010-07-17, 13:45   Link #751
Who

Most notable and relevant to my interests:
Mage finishing moves.
Old 2010-07-17, 14:14   Link #752
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
3) Pissing off party members won't always be a bad thing. "They won't necessarily leave. They may still join you, but they're going to try to show you up, and that may influence battle in a different way."
Hmm, kinda like how negative influence wasn't a bad thing in KotoR II either... I can see a system like this work, for example berserkers could profit more from hating you and attacking your enemies with that rage.

Quote:
4) We're getting the ME2 conversation wheel, but this time instead of having some dialogue be a particular color the center of the wheel will show a symbol to show what kind of reply it is. (The article uses the examples of them being something like aggressive or sarcastic) (wait, what?)
*snort* With conversations in ME sometimes hardly resembling what the text said, this is hardly a change.

Quote:
5) The way the story unfolds will be very different compared to the past Bioware games. "Dragon Age II has a framed narrative structure, which means that the exploits of Hawke occured in the past, but are being retold in the present." "Narrators with unique insights into the events in question tell the tale of his past adventures."
Huh... this sounds interesting.

Quote:
6) We may get to see some of the DA:O events at the start from a different perspective. "Dragon Age II begins as the events of Origins are still taking place, so you may see some familiar events from a different angle."
Hmm, that'd explain the importing of a save game.

Quote:
7) Because of the game spanning a decade, we get to see the consequences of our actions sooner, rather than in a little text at the end of the game.
Now this is good news.

Quote:
8) The PC version's combat system remains mostly the same. "The PC version implements the same strategic approach afforded by a mouse-and-keyboard control scheme." "Rather than try to mimic the PC experience on consoles, Dragon Age II has a battle system more tailored to the strengths of the PS3 and 360."
Which means... well, hack and slash type combat I guess? Ehh, console combat was always a bit of a clusterfuck anyway. Hated playing a mage on the consoles and barely used any skills on the other classes. If they can fix that, more power to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
* No "ancient evil you have to defeat", the game revolves around the question of who Hawke is that is answered by player decisions.
Refreshing. Not necessarily an improvement -that depends on the story that is told- but refreshing nonetheless.

Quote:
* BioWare's goal is to let decisions carry across different platforms as well. Executive Director Mark Darrah: "...If you played the first game on PC and the second game on console, we'd be able to react to your choices."
I wonder how they're going to do that... still, this is a major bonus for me. My laptop has a hard time running DA:O, to the point where I bought a console version to play the game a tad more fluently. Being able to carry over the decisions of my first warden is good news.

Quote:
* Origins' visuals did not translate well to consoles from PC, team is making an effort to "hot rod the art" and make it distinct.
Good. I'll gladly take a change in the art direction if it means better visuals.

Quote:
* This dragon is more than it appears. After swooping down and grabbing a darkspawn in its talons, it transforms into a familiar figure: Flemeth. Still holding the dead darkspawn in her hand, Flemeth walks through the flames and approaches Hawke, saying: "Well, well. What have we here?"
Since we know Flemeth survived, I hope she plays a bigger part in this story.

All in all, so far I like what I hear.

Last edited by Keroko; 2010-07-17 at 14:39.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 12:42   Link #753
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Spoiler for News Pics:
Old 2010-07-19, 16:04   Link #754
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Is it just me, or do these screenshots actually look good?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 17:26   Link #755
Who

^Probably just you. I expect they'll get much better though since it's still really early in development. Because that dragon, for example just isn't cutting it for me right now. Not that I dislike it, but it seems as though it's been cut out from the concept art and pasted onto a screenshot.
Old 2010-07-20, 00:11   Link #756
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah, they seem to be unfinished to me. I understand that the art direction wants to make use of negative space better, but those pics still seem unfinished. At least this time, places don't look as claustrophobic as the first game. For example, even though we do not get to access the majority of Denerim, the whole place feels so small and unispiring. Then again, maybe that's just Ferelden being Ferelden.
Old 2010-07-20, 10:09   Link #757
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yes , those pics are pre-alpha pictures and are not accurate representations of a finished product .
Old 2010-07-20, 10:58   Link #758
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Still, I'm actually warming up to them.

Old 2010-07-30, 11:23   Link #759
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

For those who still buy dlc , here the new one :

Golems of Amgarrak

This next DLC will be available to download on August 10th. Golems of Amgarrak will see players facing a new terrifying creature and earning powerful rewards. In the upcoming DA:O DLC, you'll find an advanced challenge for skilled players and the ability to import your character from Origins or Awakening, or you can create a new hero.

Here's the description of the DLC:
Delve deep underground to save a missing dwarven expedition in search of ancient secrets for creating monstrous constructs. Only you can uncover the gruesome fate that befell them.

Put your Warden back in action and adventure through new environments, meet new characters and defeat never before seen creatures. With an engrossing new storyline and challenging puzzles this is one add-on you don't want to miss!
Old 2010-07-30, 22:03   Link #760
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

It does seem interesting. Being a challenge also doesn't hurt...

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360