AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-22, 16:13   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Is Asus a good brand for laptops?

1. Is Asus a good brand for laptops

2. Refurbish laptops - good idea or bad idea.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230021 <-- laptop i am thinking of getting
Old 2011-10-22, 20:05   Link #2
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

they kinda 2nd class manufacture. they laptop is good for their priced but it feel "cheap or 2nd grade" compare to others.

for me they are solid manufacture

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:38   Link #3
Random32
Also a Lolicon

1. They rank pretty high in reliability numbers for consumer grade laptops. I think they took first place once or twice in reliability surveys. It's a really good choice unless you are willing to pay more for a business notebook.

2. I buy refurb stuff. I don't have much more of a problem with it compared to non-refurb stuff.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:44   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

how about Dell or Hp

Thinking of either a Dell Vostro 3750 or a HP dv7tqe
Old 2011-10-22, 23:30   Link #5
Undertaker

It depend what you are looking for, not quite sure what RRW was referring to as any tech savvy people will tell you that ASUS is one of the top manufacturer in motherboard, semi-conductor, graphic cards, sound cards for a long time. Heck most of the interior from Dell and HP were developed and manufactured by ASUS and ACER before both starting to put together their own machines and make a name for themselves internationally.

Quality-wise I put it up against anyone as the company had received various quality award and considering neither Dell nor HP develops the guts in their own machines. (hence more expansive) Although as U.S. company (both Asus and Acer are Taiwanese companies) their customer support in U.S. is MUCH BETTER compare to ASUS and ACER and that also reflected in price difference.
Old 2011-10-22, 23:48   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

majority of the time work (web base applications) along with some videos and game playing.
Old 2011-10-23, 00:01   Link #7
Undertaker

What kind of gaming? If you are looking for heavy PC gaming and a top line gaming machines, I'll suggest you open up your wallet and sink your doughs with beasts from Alienware. Otherwise there's really not much difference on what you pick, any $500-1000 machine will last you quite a while.

I personally don't like HP and Dell, they got too many strategic partners which results in ridiculous amount of pre-loaded softwares, although if you a not confident in you computer skills, they are still your choice because of their Customer Support and pre-loaded softewares. But most of time you got more with you money with Acer or Asus because they can lower cost due to their developing and manufacturing ability of their own parts.
Old 2011-10-23, 00:51   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I would assume pretty intensive gaming from the choice of the G73 refurb in the original post.

That laptop is pretty good, the graphics card is around the equivalent of a desktop 5770. Shouldn't have too many problems playing the vast majority of games at the native resolution of the screen.

Do be warned that both the GPU and CPU are last generation parts. Other than that, its a great choice imho.

For Dell and HP.
-Consumer lineup (Inspiron, XPS, Pavilion). Don't bother with that crap.
-Business lineup (Latitude, EliteBook). Expensive, but very high quality and great support. Also consider Thinkpads.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 03:57   Link #9
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I personally don't like HP and Dell, they got too many strategic partners which results in ridiculous amount of pre-loaded softwares, although if you a not confident in you computer skills, they are still your choice because of their Customer Support and pre-loaded softewares. But most of time you got more with you money with Acer or Asus because they can lower cost due to their developing and manufacturing ability of their own parts.
The latest Dell notebook or desktop we have receive at work were completely free of pre-loaded software. For Dell consumer lineup I don't know if it's the same thing.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:14   Link #10
Sides

If you want to get that ASUS G73, you might want to look it up on some laptop focused forums. IIRC some people did complained about the screen, cannot remember if it was an issue with the led backlight or just the panel they used in some of the G73 models.
BTW that thing weights ~4kg, don't think that qualifies being a laptop or notebook...
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:30   Link #11
Kyuu
=^^=

I own this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220865

And I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:43   Link #12
hattan

Send a message via AIM to hattan
mmm... for me I had one before ... 3 years ago ... it was good at first but then it stated to really piss me off ! ÒÓ
my fried just got one .. it was good at first but after one week it's already messed up
well ... that's just me
Old 2011-10-23, 06:32   Link #13
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
If you want to get that ASUS G73, you might want to look it up on some laptop focused forums. IIRC some people did complained about the screen, cannot remember if it was an issue with the led backlight or just the panel they used in some of the G73 models.
BTW that thing weights ~4kg, don't think that qualifies being a laptop or notebook...
it's technically gaming laptop which usually use if you want to play in hotel or trip where it easy to fins electricity

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 15:52   Link #14
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
The latest Dell notebook or desktop we have receive at work were completely free of pre-loaded software. For Dell consumer lineup I don't know if it's the same thing.
I have an Alienware m11xR3, and it definitely came with pre-loaded software (aside from the Alienware Command Centre), such as Nero's SyncUp, Zinio Reader and McAfee (got rid of all three of them). I dunno if there is more pre-installed software for Dell's consumer laptops (Inspiron and so on) though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Definitely still a laptop. They're just categorised as "desktop replacements".
(I had a pre-Dell Alienware m17. That was about 5kg. I don't think I'll ever buy such a large or heavy laptop again)
Nevertheless, that laptop looks pretty powerful, and should be fine for your high-end gaming needs if you don't move the laptop around much. If you need more mobility (e.g. battery stamina), however, you are going to sacrifice some power. Although most of the newer, smaller high-end laptops can hold their own now (I think).
Old 2011-10-23, 19:58   Link #15
Undertaker

Quote:
Of course they won't have pre-loaded software installed on the laptops that your work gave/rented you. We are talking about laptops that you buy and purchase in store or online. Dell is a bit better as far as junk softwares go, but again like HP they don't make the guts themselves (well, HP do develop and make cd/dvd/BD drives) compare to Acer or ASUS, or even Sony in that regard.
Old 2011-10-23, 22:13   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

the dell vostro is form dell's business line.
Old 2011-10-24, 14:55   Link #17
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Of course they won't have pre-loaded software installed on the laptops that your work gave/rented you. We are talking about laptops that you buy and purchase in store or online. Dell is a bit better as far as junk softwares go, but again like HP they don't make the guts themselves (well, HP do develop and make cd/dvd/BD drives) compare to Acer or ASUS, or even Sony in that regard.
Those are computer I have bought from the Dell website, from the Business lineup (Optiplex and Latitude) but everybody can buy them. In fact a cd burner software is installed but no service is running that the reason I haven't see it
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 16:29   Link #18
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 17.3" Notebook Computer $699.99AR
(6.72lbs; 17.3" 1600x900 LED; 2GHz Quad-Core Sandy Bridge; 6GB RAM; 750GB HDD; Blu-ray reader; 802.11n + WiDi support; Windows 7 Home Premium; webcam; fingerprint; Beats Audio w/ HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer; 9-cell battery;

HP dv7-6163us Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad

Is the model any good?

Staple is selling at a very low price.
Old 2011-10-24, 20:15   Link #19
Undertaker

Quote:
Those are computer I have bought from the Dell website, from the Business lineup (Optiplex and Latitude) but everybody can buy them. In fact a cd burner software is installed but no service is running that the reason I haven't see it
Interesting, sorry about that, I usually don't look for business line PC because my priority is usually on graphic card/CPU speed and majority of time a good entertainment PC can run the business software I need but not vice versa unless I do some modding.

But if I remember correctly, Dell allows you to customize software/trials installed on website which is not possible on their store ready models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 17.3" Notebook Computer $699.99AR
(6.72lbs; 17.3" 1600x900 LED; 2GHz Quad-Core Sandy Bridge; 6GB RAM; 750GB HDD; Blu-ray reader; 802.11n + WiDi support; Windows 7 Home Premium; webcam; fingerprint; Beats Audio w/ HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer; 9-cell battery;

Is the model any good?

The spec looks good for the price, but you are leaving out the graphic part of things, though usually unless you are going after Crysis-level gaming you should be fine.
Old 2011-10-25, 08:20   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

Is the model any good?

We bought my daughter the 15" i5 version of this machine last summer directly from HP. Even with an academic discount, ours came to around $900, though $125 of that was for the video card upgrade. I only got to spend a few hours with this machine, but I was pretty impressed with the build quality and the display.

I can't tell from the description which video card this Staples model has though, which makes me think it is some flavor of Intel. If you look a similar models, you might find one with an AMD Mobile Radeon 6750. Amazon has a version of the machine with this card for another $50, but it has an AMD processor rather than the i7. The Staples model apparently comes with a Blu-ray player which is a nice added bonus.

Overall it looks like a good deal to me.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote