Blade556

Favourite Program

Which programd do you use? I prefer CorelDRAW, but most ppl use Adobe
Blade556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 21:06   Link #2
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Send a message via AIM to anime-otaku Send a message via Yahoo to anime-otaku
Open Canvas! The best program ever created! I mean EVER!
anime-otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 02:46   Link #3
Messenjari
Zone of Nowhere

Send a message via ICQ to Messenjari Send a message via AIM to Messenjari Send a message via MSN to Messenjari
I use Adobe Photo... if i tried open Canvas.....might like it but i thought u need a tab for it.....Do u?
If not then i giver a try
Messenjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 06:30   Link #4
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

I use Adobe Photoshop the strongest and the best thing out there. (I think)

Edit: A "and" to much

Last edited by Dark_Voodoo; 2003-12-17 at 19:36.
Dark_Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 10:33   Link #5
calavera spain
empty mind

Send a message via MSN to calavera spain
i use open canvas and this cristmas y will have my first graphic tablet
calavera spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 11:36   Link #6
Stofzuiger
Bubblewrap!!!

I use photoshop, although I've never really succesfully CG'ed something. Therefore, all my art is done by hand

(ok, the cropping and/or resizing is done with photoshop )
Stofzuiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 15:40   Link #7
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
i use photoshop. never really used the others. might give another a try someday.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 16:37   Link #8
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Others --> Alice Yurishop, does that counts as Photoshop?
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 18:02   Link #9
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Send a message via AIM to PeppstaR Send a message via Yahoo to PeppstaR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Voodoo
I use Adobe Photoshop and the strongest and the best thing out there. (I think)

I agree. Photoshop is choice. I can't wait until I get Photoshop CS!
PeppstaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 19:56   Link #10
Quantsini
^_^ Chibi-Trekkie ^_^

i chose other: 3d studio max. (you forgot to put it in the list, it is a commonly used program )
Quantsini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 00:19   Link #11
juri_miki
Death Note Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to juri_miki Send a message via AIM to juri_miki
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime-otaku
Open Canvas! The best program ever created! I mean EVER!
It is a nice program, but if you want to print your work though I'm not too sure about that. Open Canvas only works in RGB mode which is hella disappointing. Having things in CMYK helps your printing tremendously.

But the poll is mising Painter. Painter is another program greatly used by many illustrators. I, personally, haven't figured it out yet, but for now I'll stick to Adobe Streamline and Photoshop.
juri_miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 00:40   Link #12
Esperchld
Photographer

I use a combination of Adobe Photoshop and Corel (MetaCreations also) Painter. Between these two there is very little I can't do. And yes there are times when painter excels over all others. There are some features in Painter that I really wish that Adobe would bundle into there 600USD monster, but sadly I haven't seen it added yet, there are filters that come close, but they just don't do the job. So, sadly I have to buy two packages of graphical software every once in a while instead of just one. So, instead of just 600 USD I am spending 900 USD to get software up to date.

This poll really should have had Painter in there as well.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 01:27   Link #13
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

How many people actually paid $600 for Photoshop? You're either bad liars or you really got ripped off

I use GIMP, which has most of the features of Photoshop except it's free
Old 2003-12-18, 03:20   Link #14
Esperchld
Photographer

Your right, I actually pay 150 USDfor the upgrade package for Photoshop (or 300 USD if I can't find my stuff for the full version), and I upgrade painter rather rarely. I think I did buy Photoshop once at full retail (700 USD at the time). Some of us really do pay for our software. And GIMP is not always a good option (especially if you don't want to install Linux). And no Photoshop is not a rip off if you are in my line of work.
Old 2003-12-18, 11:25   Link #15
Namiko
Namiko Choshi

I'm not admitting anything, but I've only paided for photoshop once. yes I did get ripped off, photoshop 6. Cause a month later, ps7 came out, and then CS came out. And its like 300$ for an upgrade, what a rip! So adobe can burn in hell. (CS is pretty good

Anyways, I use photoshop, for colouring and stuff. Photoshop is really hard to learn. I still can't use it correctly. Could anyone fill me in on details how you colour stuff like Flash_Squirrel's avatar/signature? It's so cool! My stuff looks kinda like crappy cell shaded flat colours.....yuck.
Namiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 12:29   Link #16
Esperchld
Photographer

a LOT of practice. I suggest you familiarize your self with layers (most of the different types), Dodging and Burning, airbrushing, masking, and lots of patience. I personally also suggest getting a Wacom tablet to play with also (play with a graphire first to see if you like it, then step up to a 6x8 or bigger (the graphire is REALLY small, and you will trip over yourself)).

I was thinking of upgrading to CS, but that will break my trend of upgrade every 2nd or 3rd release (starting with the initial release). You can also supposedly get Photoshop 5.5 somewhere for 50 USD. A number of the girls in a photography class I was taking said something about this, but I have yet to see it myself.
Old 2003-12-18, 20:30   Link #17
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

You can use the latest GIMP without Linux, get it here:
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/unstable.html
It's an easy install and doesn't require any fancy configuration. Unlike Photoshop where you have to configure your gamma settings, hehe
Old 2003-12-18, 22:20   Link #18
Namiko
Namiko Choshi

ZzZz, omg how could i forget. I just found this program called open canvas. It's the most amazing colouring program i've ever seen. I used it at my friends...well you should see my friend's work. Think it's better if you have a tablet though.
Namiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 22:28   Link #19
Esperchld
Photographer

Open Canvas is a nice program. I like it alot, though I still haven't had time to learn it enough for it to be second nature. Yes, it is MUCH better with a tablet. Infact, I couldn't imagine using it (or painter) without a tablet.

And to Ashibaka, why wouldn't you want to configure your gamma settings? If you don't how do you know that your prints will look like what is on your screen. Remember, Photoshop is designed for professional use, not for making little web pictures. If you are working on pictures for the purpose of sale you will want them to look as close to what your intention of them looking like is. ie. you configure your monitor and printer to match each other. It may not be fun to do, but it saves ALOT of time and hassle in the printing stage. It lowers production costs in the long run.

PeppstaR is most likely more knowlagable about doing digital production (at least as far as fanart type stuff goes) than I am. I just recently started converting myself from traditional darkroom to digital darkroom. There is most likely also a difference in what peoples styles need from the program. There are things that GIMP can't do yet that Photoshop does do. There are things that Painter does that no one else does, and there are things that Open Canvas does that it is the only one that does. You just need to find the program that does what you need it to do for you.
Old 2003-12-19, 03:07   Link #20
PeppstaR
AG Art Studios

Send a message via AIM to PeppstaR Send a message via Yahoo to PeppstaR
Thanks Esperchld

hmmm.. advice for Photoshop.. Layers. Learn to use layers. Here's an example I posted before:

Here you can see how I use layers when coloring. Also use the lasso tool to mask the areas that you are working on. When coloring with the airbrush tool, just imagine it as if you were working with an actual airbrush (you don't need actual airbrush experience, just think of the principal of it.)
PeppstaR is offline   Reply With Quote