AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-07, 08:11   Link #3541
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I view Kickstarter with a great deal of skepticism, but I wonder if crowd-sourced funding is the only viable path to getting big games that haven't had their souls sucked out by corporate suits again.
it has potential

but as of now, I only know of one game that has reached completion: FTL
give 3 more GOOD games and I'll start to be more optimistic and participate

but listening too much to fans is just as destructive
because fans themselves often to do not realize what they like about a particular game,
and they often have trouble phrasing it to the game developers.

also sometimes fans just want a copy and paste of what they like about a game, but with updated graphics and sound.
that's boring
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 16:31   Link #3542
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Obsidian has used crowdsourcing (through Kickstarter) to gain funds for both the development of the Wasteland remake (currently in development) and to develop a spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment (still obtaining funding).
Old 2012-10-07, 16:41   Link #3543
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Obsidian has used crowdsourcing (through Kickstarter) to gain funds for both the development of the Wasteland remake (currently in development) and to develop a spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment (still obtaining funding).
... Wasteland 2 is not being done by Obsidian, Obsidian's just helping. Wasteland 2 is being done by inXile (people who brought you Bard's Tale).

Also, it's not a remake.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 19:21   Link #3544
Key Board
Carbon

He's referring to Project Eternity
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-10-07, 19:22   Link #3545
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
He's referring to Project Eternity
synaesthetic is a she and she was referring to both.
Old 2012-10-07, 20:41   Link #3546
Key Board
Carbon

To me, one of the biggest advantage and biggest concern of kick-starter is there is no binding contract as to when the game must be completed

there is no set release date

the advantage is you can completely finish a game without being pressured by release dates

but it's also a concern because development may drag on too long and that's usually never good.
Old 2012-10-08, 09:43   Link #3547
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
To me, one of the biggest advantage and biggest concern of kick-starter is there is no binding contract as to when the game must be completed

there is no set release date

the advantage is you can completely finish a game without being pressured by release dates

but it's also a concern because development may drag on too long and that's usually never good.
Well, there's always positives and negatives. Extremes going either way will rarely be good. Too short and the game is rushed and terrible, too long and it may end up looking dated, etc.

I think the advantage is greater than the negative. Certainly could be problems, but a bit worried that this might be the only way to get games out without that rush.
Old 2012-10-08, 13:39   Link #3548
SidVicious
Anime addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOAZux8ip8

Old 2012-10-09, 07:07   Link #3549
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Only took like two minutes to reveal they didn't do the research... the Protheans were not named to the Systems Alliance until AFTER they met with the other Citadel races. Biotics were also not figured out until afterwards.

Otherwise it was mildly entertaining, about as much as the Dragon Age series with Felicia Day. Not accurate to the source material, but entertaining nonetheless.
Old 2012-10-09, 10:40   Link #3550
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Dunno, Blizzard is a good example of it going right. They have a decent record of dragging out development times and still ending up with good games.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 16:20   Link #3551
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Dunno, Blizzard is a good example of it going right. They have a decent record of dragging out development times and still ending up with good games.
Also Valve.

PS valve where's episode 3

srsly dafuq's takin' so long
Old 2012-10-09, 16:25   Link #3552
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Also Valve.

PS valve where's episode 3

srsly dafuq's takin' so long
Episode 3? Don't be silly, Valve can't count to 3.
Old 2012-10-09, 17:05   Link #3553
KBTKaiser

they jumped to 4 *looks at L4D*
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 20:57   Link #3554
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/13/re...ffect-3-omega/

May actually make me want to play through this game again. Will have to wait and see.
Old 2012-10-13, 05:11   Link #3555
Snuffle
likes cute things

OOOOOOOHH YES!!! I so look forward to this! Traveling with Aria sounds like it would be a blast! Even if it's only as her guiding Shepard and his team mates and not as an actual character to put on your team. DON'T F**K WITH AIRA.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 11:58   Link #3556
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
OOOOOOOHH YES!!! I so look forward to this! Traveling with Aria sounds like it would be a blast! Even if it's only as her guiding Shepard and his team mates and not as an actual character to put on your team. DON'T F**K WITH AIRA.
Ahah so excited I feel like this should of been in the game from the start, but oh well.
I feel with the addition of this I will reinstall the game and play through it again
Old 2012-10-19, 15:13   Link #3557
Snuffle
likes cute things

Not sure how old this news is (ignoring the article written date), but there is some info on Mass Effect '4' (might not even be called 4).

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/1...tar-shepherd-2
Old 2012-10-20, 07:58   Link #3558
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The biggest mistake they could make is have the game set after the events of ME3. Given how this would essentially make all but one of the endings non-canon, what little customization the ME3 ending did give would be rendered moot.

Instead, it'd be better if the game were set before or during the ME1 and 2 timeframe. Plenty of room there for a good adventure without messing up the ME1-3 continuity.
Old 2012-10-20, 11:16   Link #3559
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Instead, it'd be better if the game were set before or during the ME1 and 2 timeframe. Plenty of room there for a good adventure without messing up the ME1-3 continuity.
I already mentioned that earlier in this thread, it should be a prequel to ME1. They have a being that existed before the reapers. They could show off the Turian (with Salarians?) vs Krogan war. The Quarian vs Geth can go into more depth. That's more than enough story for a prequel game. I forgot how the Asari were involved in the whole story besides being the race that were the most advanced or something.

There's also the Protheans but that timeline is way back when Earthlings where cavemen. More story about the Protheans would have to be a DLC for ME3. For some unknown reason, Bioware did not expand on the story with Javick (was that his name?). It's just here's your new squad member, he's a Prothean, more info not available. The heck?? I'm not ranting about that, I just find it strange... There is no quest/mission about him, it feels too hollow.
Old 2012-10-20, 11:22   Link #3560
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The Quarrian/Geth war has been expanded on enough in my opinion. I'd rather see more on the First Contact War.

Tags
effect, games, mass