Notices

Old 2006-04-08, 11:11   Link #41
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Arrow HachiKuro forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mippa
Mainly because I don't know where you have started another topic if you did indeed start one--but I am curious how far you got with HachiKuro--because Hagu really got on my nerves until she moved in with Ayu-chan. Then she started to branch out and finally become her own character, and not simply a reactionary one.
You guessed right, i didn't start any topic so far. I'll remember what you and dx said about Hagu. I'm just finished watching ep.4, actually.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 11:35   Link #42
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Wait until episode...what? What episode does Hagu move in with Ayu-chan? >.< This is so the wrong thread for that...uh...*thinks of Nana topic*

I sang Endless Story AGAIN in karaoke today! (*dies*--I sing it EVERY time I go to karaoke...)
mippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 15:36   Link #43
ladida

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
Though the animation is satisfying, nothing great comes out of it, like you would be expecting from such a great original work. You just wish there was more...
Agreed. The anime on the whole looks great but it's nothing NANA fans haven't seen before. It's all been done - and with a lot more flair - by Ai Yazawa in the manga. Though not as unimaginatively adapted as the ParaKiss anime, you just can't help wondering if the director/team truly have a feel for what makes NANA tick, or they're just going through the motions of putting Yazawa-sensei's panels to a different medium.

Oh, and why isn't Ren and the rest of the band members in the opening vid?? T_T
ladida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 15:47   Link #44
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Exclamation Freeze!

Thanks a lot, ladida, i have to admit it's always cool to get someone on your side!
Then, maybe mippa could answer your question.

mippa

lol i really don't mind, and i think it's my fault if we drifted out a bit. (just wanted to use those smilies...) And don't worry i'll tell you when i get to that episode.

Did you know karaoke is bad for health? Especially if you're like me, unable to sing unless you're really drunk...
Personnally, i always sing "mononoke-hime", but shhh, that's a secret...

Speaking of "topic line", i'm sorry but i think i didn't get where "endless story" is from. Is it the OP of this anime ( i doubt that) or is it part of the movie OST?
( raph, "always outnumbered, never outgunned", and never, never off topic, hahaha)

Next time, promise, i won't use smilies
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 20:02   Link #45
hooliganj
Team Player

Endless Story is the song Trapnest performs at the concert near the end of the movie. Personally I thought it was odd that the best song in the movie was done by the "other band". Glamourous Sky was alright, but it wasn't the kind of song I expected from Blast.

From what little I've seen and heard, the anime will at least do a better job representing the musical style of the two bands.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 22:58   Link #46
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Just letting you know that Live-eviL released NANA 1:

http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5...01.avi.torrent

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 00:14   Link #47
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
XD Thanks Tofusensei Im dling as I type this cant wait to see it.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 04:03   Link #48
Amuse
BECK

[Live-Evil] also released the NANA Live-Action Movie. Am I supposed to watch the live acton movie before the anime?
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 04:15   Link #49
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Yeah, this should probably be moved to "Fansubs" now.

Anyway, I'll begin by saying that it wasn't the art and animation that disappointed me about Paradise Kiss. It was the poor pacing and the fact that they presented a whole heap of interesting characters, but didn't do enough with them. I admit it was a decent anime, but I hardly think that it ranks among the best of 2005, as many of its fans would have us believe.

Or maybe the big problem I had with ParaKiss was that I didn't like the lead characters. Who knows? One thing I do know is that from the first episode of Nana, I'm totally in love with its leads. The two Nanas are great... particular the pink-haired one (whose surname I don't think was mentioned yet). She brings a real energy to the screen and I just can't help but like her naive and slightly clumsy nature. Totally different from Yukari, who I always thought was a bit of a bitch.

Not really much to comment on. I had no problems with the style of animation and I loved both the OP and ED themes. So far the directing seems to be competent, and as an intriguing premise-introducing episode, it did its job with no problems and without the overly elaborate fanfare that ParaKiss began with.

So far, my expectations are that this will be better than ParaKiss... which I sincerely hope so because ParaKiss promised so much and delivered... er... not so much (and not nearly as much as its raving fans convinced me to expect).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
One of the main contrasts is the director, which is now Asaka Morio instead of Kobayashi Osamu (the latter of whom's directing style I'm still not used to).
On Kobayashi Osamu, I have no problems with his directing style, since I think he hit the ball out of the park in BECK. But there was something not quite right about ParaKiss.... whether it was his fault directly or indirectly, I'm not sure. But I have no doubts as to which is his better anime.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 05:52   Link #50
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse
[Live-Evil] also released the NANA Live-Action Movie. Am I supposed to watch the live acton movie before the anime?
Honestly, I would hold off if I am not familiar with the storyline.

The reason why is that the movie spoil a good deal of the anime's storyline... Though I guess eother way, if you watch the anime it'll spoil the movie...

I guess it depends if you want to be spoiled now or later!

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 06:06   Link #51
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

hmm ... the animation is hard to get used to ... it aren't bad it is just a unusual drawing style
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 09:48   Link #52
yura`

i have to agree wth Devilen... haven't watched it yet, though i'm curious enough to give it a try. i've seen the screenshots, and the style is certainly different... probably cause i'm more used to watching/reading shoujo/shounen style art and animation.

that's why i'm still a bit hesitant abt actually trying Nana... any of u think i can "adapt" myself to this drawing style - or "higher class", as some of u have put it?
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 10:20   Link #53
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
This show is pretty good in almost all aspects except one (for me at least).

As much as I love Romi, she just doesn't fit Nana O. I got used to her by the end of the episode, but she still does not feel right at all.

While Mika Nakashima had the perfect mix of tomboyish bluntness and angst in her voice (and general look, but that's a whole another ballgame), Romi Paku just sounds like a regular shounen hero we are so used to see her playing.

I understand that Romi has been badly typecast and that skewes the perception, but there is no way I can feel right listening to her playing Nana. I hope I get over it, but for now only Romi managed to tip the balance for this show from "fabulously good" to "just good".

Otherwise this is an excellent show. Personally, I liked Nobuteru Yuki's vision for Yazawa's character much better and I don't understand all the bitching going on about that, but I respect Madhouse for trying to go both ways to see which works out better. Yazawa-ish charadesigns don't take anything away from the show and that's alright.

PS: It was so good listening to Anna Tsuchiya. You guys should check her singles out. She is a marvelous singer. Much better than the average.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 10:36   Link #54
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
I have to agree with MrProphet as well I dont have a problem with the animation at all. Maybe because Ive been keeping up with the manga and Im very happy as to how close the character designs are to the manga itself. It serious feels as if the manga is moving. On another note Im surprised they started out with the second volume. The first volume gives a lot of background information on both characters especially Nana O (the rocker girl) and her band. It seems however by the 2nd ep previews that they will go back to the first volume. Im also wondering how this show will end since the manga is still running. Then again the series has a lot of material to go by since so far there are 13 or 14 volumes (cant remember). So the first ep has definitely left me feeling happy and I cant wait until the next one.

Last edited by SmartChick; 2006-04-09 at 11:58.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 10:47   Link #55
Blaat

I admit I didn't read the manga because I was put off by the artstyle, even though I loved the movie. So far I'm enjoying the anime, hopefully the style will grow on so that I can enjoy the manga (and it is certainly growing on me)
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 11:06   Link #56
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

I just saw the first ep.That was.........excellent,i couldn't stop laughing.I already read the manga(stuck at vol 12 )and I watched it like it was the first time.
They did a good job adapting the style to the anime.Nana is so cool even more then in the manga and hachi is ....well hachi

And I really like the OP.

it's greaaaaat
Old 2006-04-09, 11:45   Link #57
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

After watching the fansubbed version, I can say I am satisfied with the anime. Since the manga is already at a high level, as long as the anime stays around that level, I guess it should be acceptable, especially after the disappointing movie experience (the characters in the movie were highly distorted versions of the characters in the manga, and that prevented me to feel warmth towards them).

The voice acting for hachi is good, and the voice acting for Nana is not bad at all. Nana needed a male-kind of voice and that's what we have right now. Although as the story moves on, I expect her voice to change a little bit towards the female side.

Also, opening with a powerful rhythm and ending with a soft rhythm was a good choice. Both songs are good, especially the opening theme.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 11:55   Link #58
Linly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
As much as I love Romi, she just doesn't fit Nana O. I got used to her by the end of the episode, but she still does not feel right at all.
I totally agree with you. The first thing I thought when I heard her voice was "hmm...Edward Elric...". I really hope I can get used to it soon because that will make me enjoy the show more than I already do .
Linly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 12:03   Link #59
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linly
I totally agree with you. The first thing I thought when I heard her voice was "hmm...Edward Elric...". I really hope I can get used to it soon because that will make me enjoy the show more than I already do .
Personnaly I think it fits well,it's in complete opposition with hachi.A calm and low voice.It fits her character IMO
Old 2006-04-09, 12:08   Link #60
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
The initial boring twenty second voice over nearly doomed this anime for me and try as I might the opening and ending themes have not grown on me.

However once it got started the first episode was very well done and the story real and believable. Anime of this type (such as BECK, Paradise Kiss and the start of Nana) almost seem to tap into your own past experiences and feels you have about this time of your life.

I think most people would immediately recognised it as having the same style as Paradise Kiss, (which I loved even if watching it was a little pointless after reading the Manga), and when I checked this made sense as it was by the same author and studio.

The first time I watched the episode I was so wrapped up in the story that I hardly noticed the quality of the animation. However if you flick through picking random frames the animation looks pretty ordinary. You could say the whole is greater than it's component parties.

As I've not read the Manga it is very hard to see where the story is going from here, as the sole aim of 'preppy' Nana seem to be to get to Tokyo and 'metal' Nana does not say very much at all. However if it is anything like the first episode it's going to very good.
dan88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance