Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-02, 09:22   Link #441
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
This is probably what happened when Yuri went home after she saved the world. Is it bad if i laugh to this?
Nah... But I won't introduce you to MY mom.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 04:06   Link #442
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

That doujin actually very well drawn.
Old 2011-02-03, 16:45   Link #443
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I'll simply say that of all the PC series I've seen this if the best since the originial series!
Old 2011-02-03, 20:16   Link #444
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Is it a coincidence or HeartCatch's popularity was used to promote another of TOEI's sister-series for kids?

Before Digimon Xros Wars started broadcast I found out from the character's info that two seiyuu from HeartCatch's cast were (and are) providing the voices for at least two principal characters in the former series.

I mean we have the following seiyuu:

Minami Takeyama - She filled in for the role of Dark Precure (one of the main antagonists in HeartCatch).

She also provides the voice for Taiki Kudou (the main google-boy cast for Digimon Xros Wars; this being a 180 degrees turn of character type from her role as Dark Pretty Cure)

Houko Kuwashima - She performed the voice role for Itsuki Myoudoin / Cure Sunshine

Right now, in Digimon Xros Wars she fills in for the voice of at least four characters.
a. Nene Amano - (former member of team Twilight, and recently joined team Xros Heart)
b. Lilithmon - (Bagra army, second Head Officer - A villainous role quite in contrast to Cure Sunshine's heroine role in HeartCatch)
c. Cutemon - (pink rabbit Digimon)
d. Pickmonz

HeartCatch and Xros Wars were contemporary series airing the same year, but starting at different dates with the former beginning on February 2010 and while the latter starting in July 2010.

Speaking of hearts? The heart was the main topic in HeartCatch. A coincidence or not for Xros Wars is that Taiki's whole team was christened as Xros Heart.

Maybe all those aforementioned details were just coincidences.

That or maybe TOEI is attempting to capitalize on the success that both seiyuu Takeyama-san and Kuwashima-san enjoined to HeartCatch Precure by had them casted on main characters' roles for Digimon Xros Wars.

I've heard out there rumors that Digimon Xros Wars was performing poorly at TV ratings in Japan.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 22:08   Link #445
jcdietz03

More pointless unanswered questions:

What is Tsubomi's heart flower? Is it a Sakura? It has to be five-petaled and pink. Sakura do indeed have five petals and are pink. I'm still not sure that's her actual heart flower though.

What does Sakura mean in flower language?

Is all the flower language stuff made up, or is there some system actually used by florists?

Erika's heart flower is the White Cyclamen, which is white. So why is her cure color theme blue?

Itsuki's heart flower is the Peony. But somehow, she changes to Sunflower when she gets her cure powers. Maybe I'm not sure what the Peony looks like, but I'm pretty sure all her powers show sunflowers (rather than Peonies).
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 07:41   Link #446
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Remembrance group photo for Blossom and her team.

Click to enlarge.

I'll miss them.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 09:42   Link #447
antigone

The Precure franchise has gone south since the golden days of Precure. Regrettably, this includes heartcatch precure and that copout ending. I hope Suite Precure will be better with Ami Koshimizu leading the charge.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 21:24   Link #448
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

No more Pretty Cure for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone View Post
The Precure franchise has gone south since the golden days of Precure. Regrettably, this includes heartcatch precure and that copout ending. I hope Suite Precure will be better with Ami Koshimizu leading the charge.
Your comment above came on perfect timing for me to announce the following:

Before Suite Precure starts airing, I have made my decision not to continue with the franchise. The past seven years sure were loads of fun, but, as if antigone had read my mind, I no longer hold that feeling of attachment due to how TOEI has been handling the franchise of late.

I definitely loved the original Futari wa Pretty Cure series for important stuff like characters from both sides prioritizing the overall goals rather than just the villains going after PreCure everyday to defeat them in order to bring forth their plans.

In addition, both Nightengale and scr delivered some interesting posts that in particularly drove my attention.

IMO, this is my opinion only, I do not think that TOEI will be able to add more gloomy and/or dark plot devices within the storyline out of fear at risking one of their hit shows becomes not-so-happy-and-cheery for their targeted, demographic audience.

As I explained in a previous post of mine, TOEI is going to keep milking this cash cow that Pretty Cure has become to, and, in order to do that, the producers establish a set of rules, conventions and guidelines to the writers for what the characters can and cannot do.
Basically, for this show to keep on producing millions of profit in toys and merchandising, it is imperative that everything in the series from the characters to the settings be and must be 'morally' good and happy for the children who watch these kinds of TV programs, as well as setting a good example for the parents to approve.

Spoiler for So as not to spoil people out there who have not yet watched the end for HeartCatch:

What I try to mean is that as of recently I cannot longer enjoy watching PreCure as I did seven years ago, because I expect way too much for this franchise to come up with something that breaks the guidelines and the mold.
Something a little bit gloomier and darker that gets introduced into the storyline, but I know that cannot be possible. Why? Because raising the bar way higher for more dark and gloomy stuff to happen than what HeartCatch PreCure deliverd will make the overall scope of the franchise's series, and the storyline itself, turn into something no longer suitable for the taste and preferences of the little-girls who have been following all the shows for seven years.

Giving an average and overall score, the fights in HeartCatch were a hit and solid good, however, most of them were severely one-sided always in favor of the Cures.

The first Pretty Cure series gave an extra smile, because even if they ended up failing the dumb monsters were given enough common sense to block and trying to resist the Ultimate Pretty Cure attack.
Well, HeartCatch had a few fights instances that ended in that outcome to give a more dramatic tension. I won't deny that.

I, myself, am wrong for expecting from TOEI coming up with a Pretty Cure story that goes beyond the scope of its genre. It is a mahou-shoujo show, and this shows in anime have to be cheerful and happy in note, with the heroines fighting for nothing less or more than just love in its pure and unconditional state. Becoming heroines is a call of duty to protect their world from the denizens of darkness, but that in itself is not the point of the story. The point is that even if they become heroines, they can lead their normal and everyday lives perfectly to continue enjoying their school life, their social relationships with their peers; classmates; and childhood friends, with their families, and with their magical-fairy partners in doing mundane and everyday activities.

The day (which will Never happen) that TOEI comes up with a Pretty Cure series that is a bit above with gloomy and dark elements than what the scope of the mahou-shoujo genre can handle, then I can only say they'll be taking on a great risk. (Obviously, that will Never happen).

So what happens next? - Just like everybody else, moving on and continue with my life.

However, I Do intend to finish the other Pretty Cure series that I have not concluded.

This means Yes! Pretty Cure 5 and Fresh Pretty Cure. I'm not a completist, hence, I could care less about the sequel to YPC5, since I learned from somewhere that it is a big dissapointment.

I will watch the HeartCatch movie as well, but I don't plan to watch the PreCure All Stars films, though maybe only the third film.
Old 2011-02-05, 12:09   Link #449
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Well-in the real world people die and don't magically come back to life-why should an anime series be any different-even one aimed at pre-pubescent girls? I've been a PC watcher since the 1st series and will definitely be watching the next and all future versions of it.
Old 2011-02-05, 17:04   Link #450
gsilver

That doujin...

That's horrible.
...and, I laughed.

Heartcatch was the first series that I saw of the franchise, and I've since gone back and watched the original, Splash Star, and the consecutively fansubbed episodes of Fresh. While I consider Heartcatch to be far better than the others, I still like them, and intend to watch Suite when it begins.

Personally, I'm well past my "darker, edgier" phase of anime viewing, and find the relative lack of cynicism in Pretty Cure refreshing.
gsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 19:39   Link #451
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone View Post
I hope Suite Precure will be better with Ami Koshimizu leading the charge.
She's a VA paid a fixed salary for weekly recording sessions, not a writer or producer or anything else. I don't understand how she will have any profound effect on the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
YIMO, this is my opinion only, I do not think that TOEI will be able to add more gloomy and/or dark plot devices within the storyline out of fear at risking one of their hit shows becomes not-so-happy-and-cheery for their targeted, demographic audience.

As I explained in a previous post of mine, TOEI is going to keep milking this cash cow that Pretty Cure has become to, and, in order to do that, the producers establish a set of rules, conventions and guidelines to the writers for what the characters can and cannot do.
Basically, for this show to keep on producing millions of profit in toys and merchandising, it is imperative that everything in the series from the characters to the settings be and must be 'morally' good and happy for the children who watch these kinds of TV programs, as well as setting a good example for the parents to approve.

What I try to mean is that as of recently I cannot longer enjoy watching PreCure as I did seven years ago, because I expect way too much for this franchise to come up with something that breaks the guidelines and the mold.
Something a little bit gloomier and darker that gets introduced into the storyline, but I know that cannot be possible. Why? Because raising the bar way higher for more dark and gloomy stuff to happen than what HeartCatch PreCure deliverd will make the overall scope of the franchise's series, and the storyline itself, turn into something no longer suitable for the taste and preferences of the little-girls who have been following all the shows for seven years.
I don't understand why you would expect them to introduce dark or gloomy themes to a show aimed at teen and preteen girls, a show aimed at making those kids get their parents to spend money on related merchandising. That it can create a warm weekly narrative based around helping people through their insecurities and troubles is perhaps more than we should already expect.

Quote:
I, myself, am wrong for expecting from TOEI coming up with a Pretty Cure story that goes beyond the scope of its genre. It is a mahou-shoujo show, and this shows in anime have to be cheerful and happy in note, with the heroines fighting for nothing less or more than just love in its pure and unconditional state. Becoming heroines is a call of duty to protect their world from the denizens of darkness, but that in itself is not the point of the story. The point is that even if they become heroines, they can lead their normal and everyday lives perfectly to continue enjoying their school life, their social relationships with their peers; classmates; and childhood friends, with their families, and with their magical-fairy partners in doing mundane and everyday activities.
First and foremost, this franchise is aimed and written for kids. This is not to say that we, as discerning adults, cannot appreciate these series and try to analyze it at more than face value, but our expectations can easily fall outside of their intentions. Depending on how deeply we read into what we have seen, we may also derive any number of interpretations of the stories in the form of social commentary even if it was not an intention of the writers. I, for one, appreciated a number of the individual stories (family missing a parent, child and parent misunderstandings, etc) much more than the overarching storyline. If you prefer a darker mahou shoujo series that deals with consequences and morality rather than plastic toys and transformation sequences, check out Madoka Magica and its subforum.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 20:15   Link #452
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
She's a VA paid a fixed salary for weekly recording sessions, not a writer or producer or anything else. I don't understand how she will have any profound effect on the series.

I don't understand why you would expect them to introduce dark or gloomy themes to a show aimed at teen and preteen girls, a show aimed at making those kids get their parents to spend money on related merchandising. That it can create a warm weekly narrative based around helping people through their insecurities and troubles is perhaps more than we should already expect.

First and foremost, this franchise is aimed and written for kids. This is not to say that we, as discerning adults, cannot appreciate these series and try to analyze it at more than face value, but our expectations can easily fall outside of their intentions. Depending on how deeply we read into what we have seen, we may also derive any number of interpretations of the stories in the form of social commentary even if it was not an intention of the writers. I, for one, appreciated a number of the individual stories (family missing a parent, child and parent misunderstandings, etc) much more than the overarching storyline. If you prefer a darker mahou shoujo series that deals with consequences and morality rather than plastic toys and transformation sequences, check out Madoka Magica and its subforum.
I put a lot of bush-beating without getting straight to the point, and that is a very annoying trait of mine.

However, I do give you thanks (there's no sarcasm in the tone) for your feedback and comments.

What you made clear to me proves my point that Pretty Cure is for kids and directed to kids, and always it will be. Nothing about it will change that.

I did not make myself clear the first time. While I did enjoy the franchise, I had finally reached the end of my phase for this type of shows.

I did enjoy HeartCatch to the point of being memorable, however, I got used to the meta-series too much, that I felt this was the right time to call a permanent quit and stepping down from the fandom.

You're right that as discerning adults we cannot expect more than what the shows deliver at face value.
Old 2011-02-05, 20:23   Link #453
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
You're right that as discerning adults we cannot expect more than what the shows deliver at face value.
That's a whole lot of nonsense. I've seen people write some fantastic essays on shows that air in the same block as Precure, and found that, in spite of the toyeticness, the way these shows can be themed, by motifs and story, can be worth looking into. It's nerdy as hell to do, but we are nerds. This is our life's calling. Even in the span of one year, some of Toei's franchises have implied a world much larger, and if met with success, gone on to expand that world.

We may be adults, but the child in someone (ideally) never really vanishes. There's always room for heartfelt speeches and good triumphing over evil, whether it's interspersed with toys or not. And even when it is, giving into that kid in a candy store feeling can be fun.

I don't know that much about the Precure fandom, but as this board's least subtle member of the toku fandom (which is adjacent to Precure, at least), I say this proudly. I am a fan of a show well below my demographic, I read more into it than maybe was intended, but I am damn happy I'm that way.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 09:28   Link #454
scr
my sides are in orbit

@Guido:
Dude... what's the problem with HCPC not GRIMDARK enough to your taste? If i were the parents, i'd prefer my daughter (or son, it's not like boys are forbidden to watch it) watch optimistic people who fight for their future and thus win their happiness.

i think it's mentioned somewhere that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was competing against Pretty Cure (forgot which one) when they were aired. Like Precure, TTGL was full of optimistic people who fight for their future and thus win their happiness.

Spoiler for TTGL and Precure:

If i want a GRIMDARK magical girl show, i'd watch Puella Magi Madoka Magika. It even has its own form of Heart Tree and Heart Seeds: the Soul Gem and the Grief Seeds. Coincidence?
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 12:51   Link #455
antigone

i know Koshimizu Ami has nothing to do with the writing/directing (thanks captain obvious), what i mean was that at least the show will be marginally improved by better voice acting (which Koshimizu Ami is definitely capable of
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 19:54   Link #456
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Yeah-I've seen some pretty nasty and graphic Pretty Cure doujins from the various series and all I can say is that if there's a need or a desire somebody will stepin and fill the void.
Old 2011-02-08, 05:28   Link #457
jcdietz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Spoiler for large image:

This is probably what happened when Yuri went home after she saved the world. Is it bad if i laugh to this?
Here is another manga for the same scenario that I liked.
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...atch_precure-k
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 10:51   Link #458
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
Is all the flower language stuff made up, or is there some system actually used by florists?
All language is "made up," but yes, flower language exists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_flowers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanakotoba

As for Heartcatch, I went and watched the other Precure series that had been subbed, and I have to say that Heartcatch is one of, if not the best. The other shows suffered from poor animation, or episodes that felt disappointed between normal life and battles, and side characters that felt unreal or had their problems solved too simply. Heartcatch was more cohesive overall. It also helps that the battles take place in the real world and not in some barrier or fairy land, so I cared more.

Minor issues would be villain development and some pacing problems in the second half. Itsuki needed a couple more episodes as Sunshine before Yuri returned and upstaged her. Sasorina, Kumojacky, Cobraja, and Dark Precure had personality and motivations, but Sabaaku and Dune not so much. I would have preferred if they had cut some filler episodes and added at least two more in the final battle, one to explore Dune and Sabaaku some more, and one full episode for the epilogue (end the penultimate at the explosion when Infinite Precure and Dune clash), so we get to see how the major side characters are doing, and especially a resolution of some sort for Yuri.

On the other hand, all of the episodes, even the fillers, were enjoyable on their own, and the overall problems did not show up until the very last episode. Given Toei's typical writing, that's very impressive and makes this one of their very best series.

8.5/10

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 19:37   Link #459
Liddo-kun
is this so?

A little late in watching the entire episode 49. All I can say is.. thanks to Bandai for making Heartcatch.

The Heartcatch Vocal Best cd got delivered to my office a few days ago (from cdjapan). Listened to it yesterday. So far, my favourite tracks are Open the World, Tsu-bo-mi ~Future Flower~, Special Colorful (Erika Character Song), MOON~Gekkou~ATTACK (song used in final battle between Cure Moonlight and Dark precure), and Precure Party NOW!! (happy song, I listened to it a lot).

An english version of Tomorrow Song is the last track of the cd, and it feels a bit weird listening to an english voice after listening to 14 japanese songs. I'm not insulting western people or anything but the voice of Mickey T (singer of english version) sounds like an old person compared to japanese singers in the other songs. The english version is ok once I got used to it though.

Pics:

Front

Page 1 and 2 of booklet
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 19:58   Link #460
Midonin
Last Engage

Ah, Mickey T, I recognize that name. This isn't the first time she's done English covers of Japanese songs. She's done that for Super Sentai too, dating all the way back to Carranger (mid-90s).
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, mahou-shoujo