AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-03, 23:19   Link #2061
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Speaking of Katyusha, makes me wonder if we have a reverse of the content of the song -- where we have a group of boys pining away, and patiently waiting for the return of their brave Pravda girls.

*is sniped by Yuri fans*
Old 2012-12-04, 00:08   Link #2062
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Speaking of Katyusha, makes me wonder if we have a reverse of the content of the song -- where we have a group of boys pining away, and patiently waiting for the return of their brave Pravda girls.

*is sniped by Yuri fans*
It is true that this song from what a person said to me, it speaks of the girls who wait return of their husbands to war part... and therefore the girls were singing this song but there are girls in the "war" because they do not expect people to be on the ground ...

I do not think in the anime, the song was to change the lyrics

Last edited by Chiaki_chan; 2012-12-04 at 00:18.
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 00:09   Link #2063
Sumeragi
Banned

My guess: Pravda is a girls' school, so there would be no boys.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 00:12   Link #2064
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
My guess: Pravda is a girls' school, so there would be no boys.
yes we know that's why I ask then I think it is a Russian song that in this anime and in this scene really does not mean anything ... I probably twists Pravda is a Russian team and so they sing a song known in Russia, is not it?
Old 2012-12-04, 00:18   Link #2065
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupiler View Post
I laughed at the thought of Katyusha riding in a Katyusha, then singing Katyusha.
I was going to post just that, but you beat me to it.

More seriously, welcome - with comments like that, you'll fit nicely here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
yes we know that's why I ask then I think it is a Russian song that in this anime and in this scene really does not mean anything ... I probably twists Pravda is a Russian team and so they sing a song known in Russia, is not it?
Pravda is a Japanese school that takes on Russian characteristics! It's just like Saunders or St. Gloriana or Black Forest. They're all Japanese schools. We probably won't see any non-Japanese characters until the world tournament, and that won't happen this season.

It's also a good excuse for Katyusha's Russian to be less than fluent.
Old 2012-12-04, 00:23   Link #2066
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Pravda is a Japanese school that takes on Russian characteristics! It's just like Saunders or St. Gloriana or Black Forest. They're all Japanese schools. We probably won't see any non-Japanese characters until the world tournament, and that won't happen this season.

It's also a good excuse for Katyusha's Russian to be less than fluent.
Yes sorry I can not express myself by saying that Pravda is a "Russian team" yes I know every team even Japanese have characteristics other countries "America, England ect ect" and then they sing this song knowing its meaning they sing it as a song to give their "courage" in battle?
Old 2012-12-04, 00:56   Link #2067
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Really now....You have to win at all costs or your school will close, and you take your armoured force into a town which is a tankist's worst nightmare

I see now why they brought the KV-2...it's useless in the open and not very camouflageable but for battering buildings, it's suited perfect for it
Old 2012-12-04, 01:00   Link #2068
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Really now....You have to win at all costs or your school will close, and you take your armoured force into a town which is a tankist's worst nightmare

I see now why they brought the KV-2...it's useless in the open and not very camouflageable but for battering buildings, it's suited perfect for it
yes and this is most important for this fight right?
Old 2012-12-04, 01:05   Link #2069
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Yeah....but in the first place entering the town was suicidal anyway

Also

This is really funny credits
Old 2012-12-04, 01:19   Link #2070
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

This episode genuinely made me upset, for that:

1. Miho committed a huge mistake for someone in the position of command, by allowing those under her to act blindly when she knew better about the opponent. Those in command must never tolerate wanton waste of war potential, in any shape or form...

2. Miho did not put the gravity of the situation before interpersonal considerations, at a make-or-break junction. Although she wouldn't see loss of life, and might even win the round, she made a horrendous call in allowing her emotions to impede her tactical decision.

3. Miho wasn't given the needed information so that she would prepare for the matter of life and death to Oarai. If Miho knew of what's at stake earlier, her mentality would have had the comfort of adjusting before coming to the battlefield. In short, Miho had no idea to what end Oarai was after, until coming to realization at the worst possible time.

Now, about urban combat. Does Panzerfahren rule prohibit the use of RPG and Molotov Cocktail?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 01:32   Link #2071
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Finally seen the episode.

Well, I have another reason for being slightly upset. The fact that Darjeeling pretty much revealed in the first few minutes of the episode that they had lost the semi-finals, which means I won't be able to witness the actual competition!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post

1. Miho committed a huge mistake for someone in the position of command, by allowing those under her to act blindly when she knew better about the opponent. Those in command must never tolerate wanton waste of war potential, in any shape or form...
To her credit, Miho did attempt to stop them from advancing blindly, but nobody was listening. What can she do?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 01:39   Link #2072
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The only problem here is that Panzerfahren for Oarai is a matter of life and death, when they clearly don't have sufficient resources to begin with. Watching this when knowing the fact that tactical ingenuity cannot overcome fundamental strategic shortfall gets a bit painful... for that is little to no margin of error for Oarai, making each and every mistake that much worse for the Oarai team.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 01:41   Link #2073
Marina2

Quote:

2. Miho did not put the gravity of the situation before interpersonal considerations, at a make-or-break junction. Although she wouldn't see loss of life, and might even win the round, she made a horrendous call in allowing her emotions to impede her tactical decision.

3. Miho wasn't given the needed information so that she would prepare for the matter of life and death to Oarai. If Miho knew of what's at stake earlier, her mentality would have had the comfort of adjusting before coming to the battlefield. In short, Miho had no idea to what end Oarai was after, until coming to realization at the worst possible time.
What's funny is that the tactic that Pravda used is the same as what Ooarai used on St.Gloriana and Saunder Lure target x into location Y and ambush it.

Quote:
Now, about urban combat. Does Panzerfahren rule prohibit the use of RPG and Molotov Cocktail?
They can't use other weapons.
Old 2012-12-04, 01:50   Link #2074
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I just finished watching the episode. Did Saint Gloriana already lost the tournament match? Was that against Black Forest Peak school in the semi finals? I didn't understand that part in the beginning. I also want to make sure that it was Pravda that won last year's tournament against Black Forest Peak, which was when Miho lost right?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 01:53   Link #2075
Tak

Yep, Gloriana already lost to BFP in the semi-finals. Pravda was the one that won the championship last year all thanks to Miho as Katusha claimed.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-12-04, 01:58   Link #2076
4Tran

Tank Information - Part III

Note that the official website hasn't updated the tank information since the first episode, so there may be discrepancies.
---------------------------------------------------------------

New Ooarai Tanks

Renault Char B1 bis
Weight: 31.5 tons
Height: 2.8m
Crew: 4
Top road speed: 28km/h
Cross-country speed: 16km/h
Main gun: 47mm 32 calibers
Secondary gun: 75mm 17 calibers
Maximum turret armor: 56mm, riveted
Maximum hull armor: 60mm

Pros: Decent all-around protection for the early part of the war; two guns means that it can theoretically take on either tanks or soft targets.
Cons: Slow road speed; One man turret; 75mm gun has poor penetration; riveted armor.
Ideal role: Heavy breakthrough roles (early war only).

Summary: The Char B1 bis is a poor man's Lee. The 47mm gun for taking out enemy tanks, but it's penetration is about par with the 38(t)'s 37mm gun. This weapon is mounted in a one-man turret, so it's harder to use than most others. The hull-mounted 75mm gun shares a lot of similarities with the one on the Pz. IVD. It has an even shorter barrel though, so it has less accuracy and penetration; and on top of that, it has no traverse. It's also meant to be manned by four crew, so an undermanned vehicle will skip the radio operator. This isn't a very good tank, but it does have its uses.
Sexiness factor: While the Char B1 bis isn't a very good tank, it has a lot of interesting quirks from an interesting shape to the big air-intake grille on the side. It's pretty sexy, and an interesting addition to the team.

Panzer IV F2/G

Weight: 23.2 tons
Height: 2.68m
Crew: 5
Top road speed: 40km/h
Cross-country speed: 16km/h
Main gun: 75mm 43 calibers
Maximum turret armor: 50mm
Maximum hull armor: 50 + 30mm

Pros: Powerful main gun, decent armor, good ergonomics, good sight
Cons: The extra 30mm hull armor is bolted in place so it's less strong than a 1-piece plate.
Ideal role: Everything except for the heavy breakthrough role.

Summary: The Pz. IVF2 is also known as the Pz. IVG. It's an effective all-around workhorse that can fulfill just about every role. While it doesn't have the guns and armor of a Tiger or a Panther, it's almost as good, and it's a much more common vehicle. On the plus side, it's a much more reliable vehicle than the German heavies. It's also a more operationally capable AFV, so it's the most flexible and dependable tank in the German arsenal. Original Pz. IVF2s are basically upgraded from the original Pz. IVs (longer gun and more armor), so Ooarai's upgrade counts as (almost) a new tank.
Sexiness factor: Pretty darned sexy.

Pravda Tanks

T-34/76 1940 model

Weight: 26 tons
Height: 2.44m
Top road speed: 55km/h (!)
Cross-country speed: not specified
Main gun: 76.2mm 30.5 calibers
Maximum turret armor: 45mm
Maximum hull armor: 45mm sloped 60° from vertical
Tank Recognition Notes: The 1940 model has only one periscope on the turret.

Pros: Excellent speed, good maneuverability on soft terrain, good gun and sloped armor for the early part of the war.
Cons: Two man turret, no radio for most units.
Ideal role: Everything except breakthrough early in the war; not so good for anti-tank work later on.

Summary: The T-34 was the right tank at the right time. When it first saw combat, it was the only tank in the work to mount a long mid-sized gun in the turret and to have good front armor, and to have excellent speed. The gun and armor became less effective as enemy tanks got upgunned and uparmored, but this was the best tank in the world at the time. Even today, the T-34 is one of the most influential tanks ever. It's equivalent to the Sherman in most ways except that it is more cramped and has less crew comfort features.
Sexiness factor: As a rule, Soviet tanks are sexy, and the T-34/76 is one of the sexiest among them. There are only two Soviet tanks that beat it out.

T-34/85

Weight: 31.5 tons
Height: 2.74m
Crew: 5
Top road speed: 55km/h (!)
Cross-country speed: 29.9km/h (!!)
Main gun: 85mm 53 calibers
Maximum turret armor: 90mm
Maximum hull armor: 47mm sloped 60° from vertical
Tank Recognition Notes: The T-34/85 is differnt from a T-34/76 in having a bigger gun and a commander's cupola.

Pros: Excellent speed, good maneuverability on soft terrain, good gun on a 30 ton tank.
Cons: No significant faults other than a lack of crew comforts.
Ideal role: Everything except breakthrough.

Summary: The T-34/85 is just an upgunned and slightly uparmored version of the classic T-34. By the late war, its protection is only decent, but the 85mm gun is a fearsome weapon against almost any foe. It finally received a three-man turret, and there are now radios in every tank. It's not as good as a Tiger or Panther in a duel, but it's more rugged, has better range and endurance, and you can build a whole lot more of them. The T-34/85 is an all around very good tank, and almost perfectly suited for the predominant Soviet doctrine.
Sexiness factor: As sexy as they come. What can beat one of the best tanks in World War II?

KV-2

Weight: 53 tons
Height: 3.32m (!)
Crew: 6
Top road speed: 26km/h
Cross-country speed: 12km/h
Main gun: 152mm (!) 24 calibers
Maximum turret armor: 100mm
Maximum hull armor: 75mm
Tank Recognition Notes: C'mon, this one should be obvious!

Pros: Excellent protection for the early part of the war. The main gun is ridiculously powerful for a tank.
Cons: Slow and prone to breaking down. The gun has a low rate of fire and limited ammunition, and poor accuracy. The turret cannot traverse if the tank is on a slope. Overly heavy. Very tall profile.
Ideal role: Super-heavy infantry support (early war only)

Summary: The KV-2 is the artillery gun version of the standard Soviet heavy tank. It boasts one of the largest-caliber guns ever placed into a tank turret, and it's designed to mostly destroy fortifications. The gun could destroy tanks either by using low-velocity piercing rounds, or just blasting them with HE rounds. KV-2s have been known to perform supremely well at times, but it wasn't worth using in the long run.
Sexiness factor: KV-2 = Soviet tank = sexy. Even though the KV-2 isn't a very good tank overall, it's flaws are interesting, and it takes tank design into interesting places.

Josef Stalin 2; JS-2 in the show

Weight: 46 tons
Height: 2.73m
Top road speed: 37km/h
Cross-country speed: 24km/h
Main gun: 122mm 43 calibers
Maximum turret armor: 160mm
Maximum hull armor: 100mm sloped 60° from vertical
Tank Recognition Notes: It looks like a T-34/85, but it has a muzzle brake at the end of the gun.

Pros: Excellent all-around protection, powerful gun, decent speed and range.
Cons: Only 28 rounds of ammunition, low rate of fire.
Ideal role: Heavy breakthrough roles, support roles.

Summary: The JS-2 (better known as IS-2) was the replacement for the Soviet KV-1 heavy tank. It boasts excellent protection and very good HE firepower. While the gun isn't ideal for dealing with enemy tanks, it's still can punch through armor at goodly ranges - it's better than a Tiger I at both protection and penetration. The IS-2 is the ideal tank for Soviet doctrine and is arguably the best heavy tank of the entire war.
Sexiness factor: Another really sexy Soviet tank. The only reason it doesn't get a top prize is because its immediate successor is a lot sexier.
Overall, the Pravda lineup is vastly superior to Ooarai's. The T-34/76s are outclassed by the upgrade Pz. IV, is about even with the StuG III, and is better than all the other tanks. The T-34/85 is even better. Ooarai has no answer for the KV-2, and the IS-2 is a complete nightmare.

But as we should know by now, tank specs are only part of the equation, and superior tactics will overcome poor odds on paper.

Note: Soviet tank armor was often built to poor quality tolerances, so some units will fare better against enemy fire than others.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2012-12-04 at 12:54. Reason: Removed spoiler tags
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 02:03   Link #2077
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Oorai teams suddenly fall to the lure trap which they used to against St.Gloriana and Saunder easily, only chase the flag T-34 without care about their KV-2 and IS-2. and were surrouned with the StuG III can no longer move, also gun of Panzer IV is jammed. How can they will win this battle useless the Tiger P arrive and back shot Pravda's flag tank.

If other teams follow Miho's order when they begin chase the flag, they will not be surrounded like that.
Old 2012-12-04, 02:09   Link #2078
chupiler

Quote:
I definitely think this was the cause of all the problems. Miho let everyone run loose because she didn't think it was about the win, but about having fun. Of course, she still should've kept everyone under some sort of control.

What I found rather pathetic was the history-girl team mentioning the similarities to Stalingrad, and yet they still fell for the trap.
chupiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 02:14   Link #2079
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupiler View Post
I definitely think this was the cause of all the problems. Miho let everyone run loose because she didn't think it was about the win, but about having fun. Of course, she still should've kept everyone under some sort of control.

What I found rather pathetic was the history-girl team mentioning the similarities to Stalingrad, and yet they still fell for the trap.
Actually Miho fell too easy to rout the first group of T-34s and enage the second group, when other Oorai teams begin chase to town, Miho said they wait but no ones listen, Miho has no option that is following her amatuer comrades.

Many people will got blind if the victory is right the front of their eyes, thus they repeat history.
Old 2012-12-04, 02:19   Link #2080
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
Many people will got blind if the victory is right the front of their eyes, thus they repeat history.
I personally found Pravda's tactics to be rather Mongolian... in fact, very classic Mongolian.

- Tak

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks