AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 34 41.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 35.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 17.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-10, 09:25   Link #61
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
Hmm,I was thinking about Matsuri and the sword and it didn't make sense.Matsuri doesn't need a sword to kill Yorito and herself.Not to mention that the way she drew and stabbed Yorito so quickly,I"m guessing she already knows how to use a sword.

But then I remebered,this is a special sword that resist a Yaka's power.So I think Matsuri wants to learn how to use the Anti-Yaka properties of the sword.

Hmm,I'm not sure Aono will try to make another Yorito.It would seem sort of pointless since the 2nd copy could also fall for another girl again and etc...
Also Yorito has an interesting point.Is the Aono-made Yorito similar to the original Yorito?Or does every new illusion develop a personnality of it's own?
After Ep.10, I believe there is only one "Paper Yorito" (pun intended) if you consider the fact that Aono exerted a large amount of her power three months ago to recreate him. Aono's power, that all of us can agree on, is that she can bring origami paper to life. And, besides her fondness for origami, she had an undying love, literally, for Yorito. Combine the two and "Bam!" you have her going so far to recreate him.

Desperate? Most likely.
Obsessive? Probably.
Crazy? Hmm, maybe.
Lonely and sad? Yes, definitely.

So, I think Aono's life went this way:
Spoiler:

So I don't think Aono created more than one copy of Yorito, but just one after trying to perfect it. There were probably experimental copies, but I don't think there were any other fully created versions of Yorito until up to three months ago. The creation, though, is too perfect I might add. And, to think, this is basing it on her own feelings and memories about Yorito. She simply made one that is sentient and have a mind of its own. I think it would be much too suspicious if Yorito was more of a lifeless drone without personality. Aono most likely wanted a Yorito that was as close to the original as possible, and created new memories of him, but at the same time have the same personality. It's almost as if the creation went against the master ala Frankenstein. Aono just over-did herself on this. ^^;

The odd thing in all this is: How does Yorito subconsciously make the same promise to Matsuri as his old self has done centuries ago? The same applies to his love for the sky and his feelings towards Matsuri. I'm sure that if Aono wanted to recreate a Yorito as close to the original as possible, and having blame Matsuri for her current situation, wouldn't Aono make sure she didn't make the mistake of having injected memories and feelings of Matsuri into Yorito?

Also, since Yorito can't technically age, Aono would have to un-enroll Yorito out of the school and go to another one in another town so not to bring any suspicion upon Mana or other classmates.

That's one thing I think isn't explained fully.
Old 2007-06-10, 09:57   Link #62
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
The odd thing in all this is: How does Yorito subconsciously make the same promise to Matsuri as his old self has done centuries ago? The same applies to his love for the sky and his feelings towards Matsuri. I'm sure that if Aono wanted to recreate a Yorito as close to the original as possible, and having blame Matsuri for her current situation, wouldn't Aono make sure she didn't make the mistake of having injected memories and feelings of Matsuri into Yorito?
It probably goes to subconsciousness. What Aono probably didn't expect from a sentient person, who is more or less a recreation of sorts, is that he will eventually came to realize some things that she never realized went into Yorito's mind. She was expecting too much from her re-creation of Yorito, and it so happens that it didn't turn out the way she wanted it to be.
Old 2007-06-10, 10:06   Link #63
octoberasian
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
It probably goes to subconsciousness. What Aono probably didn't expect from a sentient person, who is more or less a recreation of sorts, is that he will eventually came to realize some things that she never realized went into Yorito's mind. She was expecting too much from her re-creation of Yorito, and it so happens that it didn't turn out the way she wanted it to be.
And... that mistake that Aono didn't consider would probably lead to her downfall-- maybe. Yeah, tragic ending seems likely now. Of course, the anime is known for throwing curveballs and twists, so it may not be a tragic ending.
Old 2007-06-10, 11:45   Link #64
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I vote that another curveball is being thrown at us. If Matsuri wanted to die, she didn't need to use Takeshi's sword to do so. I think that there's something else that the sword can do in Matsuri's hands. It's just not in her personality to suggest a double suicide and she certainly can't murder someone imo. 3 broadcast and 2 DVD episodes left for resolution of this problem.

As for why Yorito was smiling the next day...maybe something else happened during that night with Matsuri.
Old 2007-06-10, 11:56   Link #65
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I vote that another curveball is being thrown at us. If Matsuri wanted to die, she didn't need to use Takeshi's sword to do so. I think that there's something else that the sword can do in Matsuri's hands. It's just not in her personality to suggest a double suicide and she certainly can't murder someone imo. 3 broadcast and 2 DVD episodes left for resolution of this problem.

As for why Yorito was smiling the next day...maybe something else happened during that night with Matsuri.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-10, 12:03   Link #66
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-10, 12:05   Link #67
octoberasian
*IT Support

Quote:
Spoiler:
I don't think Aono has the power to manipulate the memories of an entire town if that's what you're suggesting. ^^;; So far, we're all drawing our conclusions and assumptions on the last 10 episodes. Who knows what else Aono and Matsuri is truly capable of?
Old 2007-06-10, 12:16   Link #68
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Erm-hrm... it seems that many people have forgotten the "small details" that has been dished out to us over the past 10 episodes. Remember... sola is not a series that spoonfeeds you the information. Paying attention is mandatory.
  • Yorito has no memories beyond three months ago. His mind reaches a blank when he tries to remember what happened more than three months ago.
  • Yorito transferred to the town three months ago.
  • As such, he has only been schooling at the same school as Mana for the past three months. That is why everybody has been mentioning about the length of time that Mana has known him. Additionally, Yorito got to know Mana because of Aono's stay in the hospital, and Aono's friendship with Koyori, who is the little sister of Mana.
Cheers.
Old 2007-06-10, 12:27   Link #69
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Erm-hrm... it seems that many people have forgotten the "small details" that has been dished out to us over the past 10 episodes. Remember... sola is not a series that spoonfeeds you the information. Paying attention is mandatory.
  • Yorito has no memories beyond three months ago. His mind reaches a blank when he tries to remember what happened more than three months ago.
  • Yorito transferred to the town three months ago.
  • As such, he has only been schooling at the same school as Mana for the past three months. That is why everybody has been mentioning about the length of time that Mana has known him. Additionally, Yorito got to know Mana because of Aono's stay in the hospital, and Aono's friendship with Koyori, who is the little sister of Mana.
Cheers.

Thanks. Guess I somehow missed the three months thing.
Old 2007-06-10, 12:43   Link #70
orion

Quote:
Thanks. Guess I somehow missed the three months thing.

But everyone forgets that you can't just register in a school without records and test results. So I'm reserving judgement on when Yorito was "born" until all the info is available.
Old 2007-06-10, 13:44   Link #71
Icerack

Quote:
But everyone forgets that you can't just register in a school without records and test results. So I'm reserving judgement on when Yorito was "born" until all the info is available.
If Aono can create stuff out of paper, then faking documents should be easy for her. She could also create the people the school needs to verify Yorito's history. Now I wonder why she didn't create the parents...
Old 2007-06-10, 15:06   Link #72
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Whoa, talk about a plot twist. That one really caught me off-guard.

As for the next episodes, there's also the possibility of Matsuri killing Aono in order to make Yorito disappear, and then killing herself. Now THAT's what I call a bittersweet ending .

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-06-10, 16:20   Link #73
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerack View Post
If Aono can create stuff out of paper, then faking documents should be easy for her. She could also create the people the school needs to verify Yorito's history. Now I wonder why she didn't create the parents...
But that's the plot hole here. To fake all that to insert Yorito into a school is a little too much for Aono imo, especially if creating 1 person hospitalized her. Besides, Yorito would have had to pass an entrance exam, etc. that implies he would have had to had knowledge from being in the system until now.

There's also the house and money to think about. Where is it coming from?

The suspension of disbelief is now reaching astronomic proportions imo.
Old 2007-06-10, 16:54   Link #74
maymay
Inactive~

wow what a twist... i wish i hadn't read those spoilers before watching the episode...just couldn't resist. I cant believe she created him.
Old 2007-06-10, 16:55   Link #75
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Aaah, finally sola returns to the peaceful storytelling it charmed me with, spending its time depicting beautiful relationships.

Once again, I am reduced to bullet points:
- It's really very nice to see Takeshi aiding and getting along with Matsuri. I really enjoy it when a story brings together good characters who were previously opposing each other.
- What did Aono mean by saying it was her fault?
- If this is the first attempted Yorito-clone, then what exactly was the promise Matsuri made to Aono before?
- While I was entranced by the scene with Yorito confronting Aono, the scene depicting them in profile as they spoke was really drawn awkwardly. It bothered me.
- Knowing that Yorito is a paper golem, we also know that Aono isn't half-evil, she's just 100% sick puppy.
- Sae's surprise attack!! Oh, Sae, why must you be so amusing?
- Kyori's revenge is so sweet.

Finding that Yorito is a golem, as opposed to any of the other possibilities, hurt my enjoyment of the story. I have trouble seeing him as a sympathetic character. I have the same problem with stories that expect us to see a computer artificial intelligence as a sympathetic character. This is a bit easier to accept than that, though, because Yorito could very well be a real human, just with paper as his starting point (hey, Adam was made from dirt, so it's not a stretch). Paper doesn't bleed, after all, so if he can be real flesh and blood despite being made of paper, perhaps he has a real spirit, too. The character, and the story, just wouldn't have the same impact if Yorito is just a paper mache bag of memories.

Well... Yorito certainly looks upbeat and determined at the end. We were clearly meant to wonder if he'd already left, only to be surprised at his appearance. What did he and Matsuri discuss? How did things go with Aono when he returned?

So what's Matsuri's plan? I assume that if by "disappear" she means that they should run off together, that she's planning on a showdown with Aono so she and Yorito can be free... But Matsuri doesn't seem the type. More likely is that she wants to use the sword to sacrifice herself to make Aono human, and assumes that if Aono were no longer a yaka that Yorito would disappear. I also doubt that the story would end without resolving Mayuko's tragedy of being a yaka, or at least she and Takeshi playing a role in how things wrap up, so that throws a wrench in things.

The unanswered questions about Matsuri, Aono, and Original Yorito's past linger... I imagine we'll get even more answers.

The opening has a scene with Yorito closing a photo album containing a picture of Matsuri. I wonder if that is just symbolic, or if it gives us any clues.

Ah, so many possible endings. Well, be sure to save frequently so you can see all of--oh, wait.
Old 2007-06-10, 17:18   Link #76
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

A great episode indeed. And once again we are left with more questions. The way Matsuri suggested they disappear together doesn't seem like a suggestion to die together. I think she suggested for them to "run away" together.

Then we have the question of what Matsuri is planning to do with the sword. If she wants to run away with Yorito something has to be done about his link with Aono. Perhaps she intends to use the swords power to sever that link in some way? I don't think she intends to use the sword to "fight" Aono, much less try to kill her. She doesn't need a sword for that, and doing so seems against her personality pretty much.

Now the question arises - how long can Yorito last if his link with Aono gets chopped? Only for a little while, or is the effect long lasting(permanent)? Perhaps Matsuri herself can provide Yorito with "mana" in such a case? (*cough* F/Sn "mana transfer" comes to mind ... no low-quality CG dragons please).

If it would turn out that Yorito can't last that much without connection to Aono ... i could just imagine a Chrno Crusade ending >.<
Spoiler for Chrno Crusade:

Ok, enough speculations from me. This show is indeed good at keeping it's cards hidden. There seem so many possible endings that it is almost useless to think. Heck, we can't even be sure what is going to happen next ... though by now i fully expect some curveball thrown at us.

My gripe with this episode is that Yorito seemed to accepted the truth so easily ... i understand that the time is not infinite, but they could have dedicated a tad more for the matter. And i have to wonder how come Yorito is not scared to return home ... heck, i would hve been scared imagining what crazy idea Aono can come up with now that she knows that Yorito is aware of the truth >.>
Old 2007-06-10, 17:54   Link #77
Icerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But that's the plot hole here. To fake all that to insert Yorito into a school is a little too much for Aono imo, especially if creating 1 person hospitalized her. Besides, Yorito would have had to pass an entrance exam, etc. that implies he would have had to had knowledge from being in the system until now.

There's also the house and money to think about. Where is it coming from?

The suspension of disbelief is now reaching astronomic proportions imo.
Well, money is made out of paper.....
The house may also be made of paper?
If Aono can manipulate Yorito's mind, then she could probably use her knowledge (100+ years worth) get him to pass any exams.
Maybe the process of creating Yorito wasn't too much for her, it was everything else that was too much.
Old 2007-06-10, 19:28   Link #78
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Good ep, I gave it an 8. Even though we find out that Yurito is just an origami, it's still an acceptable explanation to me. But when Matsuri said "let's dissapppear.", I think she's going to attempt to kill Aono this time. Since Aono created Yurito, if she dies, Yurito probably will too. Then she can just see the sunrise and vanish also.
Old 2007-06-10, 20:35   Link #79
FreedomMS
Sola FTW

Maybe Matsuri say" Let dissapear" Meant by the end of the episode they will see then sunrise and die together? or maybe asking yorito to live with her and if die. die together? i think there is little possibility of killing Aono .Seem she able to sense the pain, she should be able to sense the kiss as well, then why didn't she control yorito again??Maybe she can't control anymore or Maybe she choose to give up and respect yorito decision..Matsuri asking takeshi to teach her swordplay was most probably to protect herself in the future

There is VERY VERY little possibility that the house and furniture is made out of paper?? How could u find a piece of flat land in the middle of the streeet and in between 2 houses?? And there a lot of pll living there. Aono can't possibility change Real human memory rite? pll will be suspicious over the fact that in just 1 night a flat land turn to a house
Old 2007-06-10, 20:47   Link #80
kazune-kun

Oh no, people already said it before me.

I agree with wontaek, the way Matsuri said "disappear with me," sounded closer to performing suicide together rather than running away together and live forever. (Since Matsuri went back after to ask Takeshi to teach her how to use the anti-yaka sword.)

If Aono just created Yorito 3 months ago, then WOW she's one obssessed girl. Its been hundreds of years and she still couldnt get over Yorito. There are other guys out there. Unless, she's been making Yorito golems. Maybe as time flies by, the golem distructs by itself And she has to make one over and over which makes her really weak and the last time she made one got her hospitalized. (Stupid theory, I know)

Another thing, I remember Aono saying that she was supposed to be a "sacrifice." Whats that supposed to mean?

Aono should just deal with this and accept how things are and all three of them Aono, Matsuri and Yorito can watch the sun rise and they all disappear happily together. (Yorito fulfilling Matsuri's wish as well.)

Last edited by kazune-kun; 2007-06-10 at 21:19.
Closed Thread