AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: What is their gender?
Both are male. 119 50.42%
Both are female. 105 44.49%
Dorii is male and Guraa is female. 6 2.54%
Guraa is male and Dorii is female. 6 2.54%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-17, 02:08   Link #361
Lost

Sorry for being dense but I dont see how -- the female Seiyuu of Dorii and Guaa calling herself with a boyish term to portray boyish qualities in herself -- has anything to do with the Gender Issue.
Old 2006-08-17, 02:11   Link #362
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon
As mentioned many times throughout this thread, Boku is commonly used in the anime/music industry by females to portray boyish qualities in girls.
Yes, but of course, it's much more commonly used in anime by males for obvious reasons. So really, if you were basing it on that alone and using only the anime as reference, they could say it because they're boyish girls, or they could just be effeminate guys who keep the boyish vernacular. So, all in all, the use of "boku" isn't conclusive, but does support the original source material. It does raise the question, though... if they were females using "boku" to emphasize their boyish qualities, isn't that a bit inconsistent with their more effeminate social behaviour? In that case, you could at best say they suffer from at least some degree of gender confusion.
Old 2006-08-17, 03:17   Link #363
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't think they intended it to be a very subtle reference to the Japanese Seiyu. I think it was simply a case of two male characters being represented by one of the male characters using the term "Boku tachi".
Old 2006-08-24, 20:34   Link #364
batpig

Straight from the special episodes on the DVD:

Draw your own conclusions I haven't seen the rest of the extra episodes yet, so perhaps "the" scene that will settle the debate for once and for all will be there.
Old 2006-08-24, 20:36   Link #365
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Ohmygod, so beautiful. <3

Now i'm kicking myself with not buying the R2's.. though there's still always time.
Old 2006-08-24, 21:22   Link #366
Skane
Anime Snark

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig
Straight from the special episodes on the DVD:

Draw your own conclusions I haven't seen the rest of the extra episodes yet, so perhaps "the" scene that will settle the debate for once and for all will be there.
What kills me about that image is that they cover the very two areas which would determine their anime gender!
Old 2006-08-24, 21:55   Link #367
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
What kills me about that image is that they cover the very two areas which would determine their anime gender!
Seconded
Old 2006-08-25, 02:43   Link #368
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
You can tell from the picture that their chests are flat. That would pretty much do away with the "they might wrap clothe around their breasts to look like guys" arguement.

So we can look at it like this: they are female teenage twins in the anime with lolicon-esque chests, or...

They are male.
Old 2006-08-25, 11:34   Link #369
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
You can tell from the picture that their chests are flat. That would pretty much do away with the "they might wrap clothe around their breasts to look like guys" arguement.

So we can look at it like this: they are female teenage twins in the anime with lolicon-esque chests, or...

They are male.
Ive seen grown women washboards... what's to say they just didn't develop as nicely as the other females?
Old 2006-08-25, 12:39   Link #370
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7

They are male.
I see one with a flat chest and the other is well cover so i can't tell.

This would support the one is female and one is male theory. A compromise between the production staff who wants to keep things original and those who want thier own ver of the FMP 2nd Raid twins
Old 2006-08-25, 13:52   Link #371
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Hmm... don't know...

From one view, you could be seeing an inner thigh. The other, an uncircumcised dick. ...Or extreme woody that happens to run up the skirt of the other.
Old 2006-08-25, 15:02   Link #372
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn
Ive seen grown women washboards... what's to say they just didn't develop as nicely as the other females?

But then, you see, that is really grasping for straws. It is just another point trying to be made that they are possibly female, but if you can see one is partially nude and has a flat chest, it probably means they are male, not undeveloped women. With all sorts of other things taken into consideration, it is very unlikely they just "happen to be flat", but rather, they are male.
Old 2006-08-27, 05:26   Link #373
fubar

btw if you blow that picture up or have it, the one on the right has cleavage. It most definately possesses a right breast although they could be taking some wierd hormonal pills.
Old 2006-08-27, 09:40   Link #374
Tsuki-Tsu

Quote:
btw if you blow that picture up or have it, the one on the right has cleavage. It most definately possesses a right breast although they could be taking some wierd hormonal pills.
I really think that's just a shadow ...
Old 2006-08-28, 01:19   Link #375
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig
Draw your own conclusions
Sadly that scene is really inconclusive; if anything, it only makes for more debate. What are the staff up to.
Old 2006-08-28, 01:23   Link #376
Alu
Guide my hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Sadly that scene is really inconclusive; if anything, it only makes for more debate. What are the staff up to.
I'm starting to belive we will only be able to definitly confirm they're gender on the last episode of the series ^^
In fact.., as things are going I am almost positive on this

If they reveal it at all that is
Old 2006-08-28, 02:24   Link #377
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuki-Tsu
I really think that's just a shadow ...

There is no clevage there. Inspect it closely and you will see no clevage. As the guy I just quoted said, I think it is just a little defination and shadow for a peck. Otherwise, that region is flat.
Old 2006-08-28, 14:58   Link #378
Friera

Send a message via MSN to Friera
At first when I began to watch this series I din't really think of their gender. "just some other females" or something. But then I began to wonder when i saw this thread and I really believe they are males. I can't see anything which tells me that they are females, just gay.

But there is only one thing that really makes me wonder about the gender; Isn't this a bi-shoujo anime who are mosly for teenage boys? But why do they have such a yaoi-males in the series? I don't think their main viewers enjoy such things. It would be the same if there was an anime for girls and suddenly three girls jumped naked (Note: Episode 18) in the bed together. I wouldn't enjoy it at all...

And the picture from the game shows ut that it is males... Hmm, everything point to that they are males, but still I can't understand why...

Fanservice for us few viewers who are girls? XD
Old 2006-08-28, 21:09   Link #379
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

I still think they are female until clear evidence of the contrary.

Considering the anime has a different target audience from the game,it could be that the producer did indeed decide to make the twins female in the anime.
Old 2006-08-28, 22:45   Link #380
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz
I still think they are female until clear evidence of the contrary.

Considering the anime has a different target audience from the game,it could be that the producer did indeed decide to make the twins female in the anime.
I really think that after looking at things in detail in a thread such as this, more things indicate that the twins are male in the anime as they were in the game, and rather are not females in the anime. I think it is more fitting to conclude that it seems they are male in anime until or if unless there is clear evidence of the contrary later in the series. I think after looking at some of the reasoning and thinking supporting that they are male in the anime, many will find some real strong and valid points.

And again, if the producers wanted to make these characters female in the anime, logically, they would want to make it clear and obvious, which isn't the case. Again, relating to a prior point, what is the case is that the twin characters are accurate in representation of their major aspects as characters in the anime from the game.