AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-02, 12:52   Link #281
JRendell
Manga Addict

Oh they've decided to modify the rail lines over by me, but they decide to do it now, when it's snowing and people are beginning to return home for the holidays. It's ridiculous, why couldn't they have actually prepared for this.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 13:47   Link #282
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Oh they've decided to modify the rail lines over by me, but they decide to do it now, when it's snowing and people are beginning to return home for the holidays. It's ridiculous, why couldn't they have actually prepared for this.
They should be doing this over the spring after the cold season rather than during holiday seasons. Granted, such modifications take time, but they should start working on it when it's not cold. It's not just the rail lines tho, it's also to do with the trains themselves. They're not designed to withstand snow and ice.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 14:22   Link #283
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
They should be doing this over the spring after the cold season rather than during holiday seasons. Granted, such modifications take time, but they should start working on it when it's not cold. It's not just the rail lines tho, it's also to do with the trains themselves. They're not designed to withstand snow and ice.
Exactly. I was just watching the news and some bloke said that other countries that regularly receive heavy snowfall are able to predict exactly when they are going to be hit, as well as the amount of snowfall there will be. He then said, "However, the UK is unable to do this."

What? Why? Explain yourselves!
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 11:30   Link #284
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I just glanced out my window, and we have snow coming down. I saw a few stray flakes this morning while going to class, but this is an actual fall. Still pretty light, all things considered, but it was a nice little surprise.
Old 2010-12-06, 12:33   Link #285
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I went out this morning and it was flurrying since it's so cold. It even stick on tiny parts on the ground, but not enough to be dangerous... Still praying for a White Christmas though.
Old 2010-12-06, 12:37   Link #286
solomon

Here in Northeast Ohio, USA there is a smattering of snow. In the western Cleveland countryside where we don't get as much snow we're gonna get about 3-5 inches.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 20:11   Link #287
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

We've been getting it quite frequently now with a few inches worth today alone.

I was tempted to go for a dander and take some nice photos to show but its just to damn cold D=

Spoiler for But I did take one.:

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 14:11   Link #288
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
Snow on Friday in N.Y.C.!

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 20:50   Link #289
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Hope it melts soon.
Annoying snow D:

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-08, 14:59   Link #290
LeoXiao
思想工作

It's been snowing quite a bit here in North Germany, more than normal I'm told. I like it. It may be harder to walk in, but it looks nice and I can have fun with it.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-08, 18:31   Link #291
Shikabane_Hime
108 Shikabane to destroy

The Rocky Mountains have been getting a lot of snow recently but so far places like Denver haven't gotten enough snow to get it to stick. Having lived in Ohio for the last decade I've been known to go outside without a coat or sweatshirt recently.
Old 2010-12-13, 23:26   Link #292
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimingan12 View Post
Snow on Friday in N.Y.C.!
Took a few days, but first sign of snow sticking and covering the streets here.

Edit: Day after christmas
Huge blizzard outside. Looks like a foot by now and could be more by morning.

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2010-12-26 at 21:05.
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 08:12   Link #293
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Post Let it Snow, Let it Snow...

So I live in Westport, Connecticut. We're about an hour train ride from New York City. The recent snowstorm has actually SHUT DOWN JFK Airport in New York. It's been declared a state of emergency in most states that got anywhere from 12-20 inches of snow. A very small part of the east coast area (New Jersey, maybe? I don't remember) got something like 20-30 inches of snow.

Businesses have shut down, etc. (Yet I still have to go into work... go figure when NO ONE is going to be on the road) In New York City, folks are stranded in subways, airports, and bus stops, as the entire system has been closed down. That REALLY is bad, since things like restaurants are closed, and people are having trouble finding places to eat.

Here in Westport, the snow is actually drifting 14 inches high in some places, and people are getting tickets for going out in the snow. I don't know why the retail store I work at is opening, since no one is going to be out shopping in this blizzard.

Here's a tiny look at the weather we're having: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40816579/ns/weather

So, how's the weather where you guys live? I hope it's better than ours, because this snow is (expectedly) wreaking havoc on everyone's post-holiday schedules.
Old 2010-12-27, 08:15   Link #294
Sumeragi
Banned

Seoul: -15 c, greatest snowfall in 40-something years.

I'll be in Kyoto later tonight: Hoping it wouldn't be as cold there.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 09:43   Link #295
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
So, how's the weather where you guys live? I hope it's better than ours, because this snow is (expectedly) wreaking havoc on everyone's post-holiday schedules.
Let's see... overcast skies with occasional showers, but otherwise hot and humid as usual. Nope, no sign of global freezing here. Argh. I won't mind average temperatures 10 deg C lower than what we always have here. Care to export some of that snow to the tropics?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 16:31   Link #296
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

Same as where you live, spent all day shoveling snow. We got at least a foot and a half out here, might even be a little more.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 16:48   Link #297
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
The roads have been cleared off from the storm we had last night, but there still aren't many people outside and around. Apparently, last night we got between ten and sixteen inches of snow; my dad said he hasn't seen a storm like it since he was a kid.
Old 2010-12-27, 17:01   Link #298
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Apparently, last night we got between ten and sixteen inches of snow; my dad said he hasn't seen a storm like it since he was a kid.
Just by going out to try and shovel, I could figure the snow could be higher than 16. Usually the streets are passable by now, instead the middle of the streets could pass for parking lots with not a single plow in sight. The wind is not making things any easier blowing the snow around. I could compare this one to 1996.
Old 2011-12-05, 10:37   Link #299
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

And so got the first snow on the season last night and quite alot at that.

And now snowing again today.

Just enough snow to make a snowman but i really can't be arsed atm, better to wait till it stops
Old 2011-12-05, 12:31   Link #300
Oblivion

We haven't really had any real snow here. It snowed really hard at first but then the rain washed it all away. Then when it snowed again, it melted within half a day. So apparently winter hasn't started for us yet, which I'm happy about lol.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, snow, weather