AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-30, 12:29   Link #1
Bern-san

Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom in English

AKSYS is going to release along with Fate/Extra, the otome game Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom

Official site: http://www.hakuoki.com
Platform: PSP
Release date: February 14th
You can preorder now!

Summary: Japan's Edo Period was drawing to a close.
The shogunate, who'd held power in the country for more than 200 years, found itself challenged by the imperial court, and by several domains who had chaffed under shogunal rule.
In this midst of this political unrest, an organization rose to prominence: The Shinsengumi. Originally formed to protect the streets of Kyoto from masterless samurai, they came to represent the last, tragic bastion of the honor-bound samurai culture that had defined much of Japan's history.
A young woman by the name of Chizuru comes to Kyoto in search of her missing father, and soon encounters danger and the Shinsengumi in quick succession. When it becomes clear the Shinsengumi are also searching for her father, Chizuru is put under their protection.
But odd things are afoot in Kyoto—possibly even supernatural things. Can Chizuru navigate this maze of mortal danger and political intrigue? Amidst so much misery and death, can she find romance?
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 18:57   Link #2
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I can't even tell how our heroine protagonist looks like... It's said on VNDB that she's a reverse trap.. this game is full of traps. But of course, I don't tend to venture into otome games (since the gender does matter ) (I don't want to end up like Keima when he first played an otome game...) so I'll step aside.
Old 2011-11-30, 22:46   Link #3
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
(I don't want to end up like Keima when he first played an otome game...) so I'll step aside.
What!? Why!!?? I know it's dangerous, but it doesn't mean that you'll fall to a guy in RL ;_;

I think I'm going to play this...the CG for this game is gorgeous (as like many otoge out there, one of my reason to sometimes prefer otoge than galge) and from what I've heard, it's quite good. Anyone can tell me whether the female protagonist is likable or just plain and cliche protagonist?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 09:33   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Shinsengumi = BAD END either way you cut it. Doesn't anyone read their history books any more?
Old 2011-12-01, 16:46   Link #5
AnimeFangirl

That's a nice saying. Too bad Hakuoki is basically a journey from the condemned block to the execution chamber...
Old 2011-12-01, 20:08   Link #6
AnimeFangirl

That's too broad a view. There's still some mystery about what will happen to us and when and how we'll go.
Compare that to watching something about JFK, or Abraham Lincoln. You just know someone isn't going to pass away in their sleep at 90 surrounded by their grandkids.
Old 2011-12-02, 18:41   Link #7
Bern-san

Although it is historical, it's still fiction and has different endings (the anime made Hijikata's bad ending). It's going to have tragedy in most of the routes but hey, you can have a happy ending depending on the character.

AKSYS chose Hakuouki from Idea Factory/Otomate's games because it had anime and it is the most popular from their company in Japan (along with Hiiro no Kakera) and more or less known overseas. Also, the success of this game can determine if we can get more otome games and visual novels in English.

About Chizuru as MC... She is quite average so don't expect much from her.
(I'm still waiting for the release of the otome from a japanese doujin company called Landkarte which has fighting system, although a quite simple and easy one, and the heroine can have 5 different personalities depending on what you chose)

Characters:
Spoiler for :
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 13:05   Link #8
Bern-san

I got my LE copy this week (comes with a 72-page art book and the soundtrack). I'm glad I ordered it from VGP instead of Amazon since people complained that they received the box damaged and Amazon had more orders than copies so they had to wait more time to receive it (which in my opinion is a good thing because it looks that the game has got support).

The average of the score that different websites give Hakuoki is B, all the sites have in common that despite being an otome game both males and females can enjoy the story. AKSYS has a list of these reviews:
http://www.aksysgames.com/forums/topic/1603

I haven't got much time so I've only played Harada route. The first thing I want to talk about is the art. Kazuki Yone's art is really beautiful and the main attraction of the game in my opinion. Such a shame that she is not going to work anymore for Idea Factory's games.
The soundtrack is fine, it isn't spectacular but it isn't bad.
Now for the translation. It's good although there quite a few things to point out. First is Chizuru. She is the biggest change. The English version made her less annoying.
The second thing is that they translated way too much. I still can't get used to reading "fury" instead of ochimizu or to not read honorifics. There's some misspellings too.

In general, I'm quite happy that we got Hakuoki translated, a few years ago I couldn't imagine having the game in English.

By the way, this isn't the first otome game released in English (people forget Yo-jin-bo). Well, I hope that the game was successful enough (for an otome game Hakuoki is not very romantic, it focuses more on history) so AKSYS and other companies aren't afraid to release more visual novels and otome games.
Old 2012-03-10, 18:05   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
The second thing is that they translated way too much. I still can't get used to reading "fury" instead of ochimizu or to not read honorifics. There's some misspellings too.
Good. I hate honorifics in translated video games. I don't need to be "reminded" that it was originally a Japanese game and I don't need "faithfulness" at the expense of readability.
Old 2012-03-10, 19:32   Link #10
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
I have only been playing this for... roughly a grand total of 4-6 hours since I got it, but I am enjoying this. I like the translation, I don't think they "translated too much" and think their choices for it was to make it more open to a wide audience. (I don't mind honorifics and certain words being left in, like the names of food, but leaving too much alienates potential buyers).

I read that Chizuru was translated to be a bit more appealing to Western audiences (aka, less "stupid protagonist syndrome", a common plight for these games so no fault to her) and that the romance is less... rapey (and I have read my fair share of these games... I know it is the culture, but a lot of the romance does sound like someone is being molested, which is... kinda creepy to me). I haven't heard any complaints from fans of the show or the original Japanese version of the game, only "it's ok" or "she's better this way" so I suppose this is alright by me as well, as I really like her as a protaganist. The romance context certainly is.

I don't really have any characters I dislike, and they are all interesting. The translation and writing seems solid and enjoyable, and for me it flows well.

The art is VERY good and the voice acting is stellar, to be expected. The music is a tad disappointing but I can't fault translations for that, just the composer, and it is good enough as is.

My only issue with this is how the game itself works. I find it a little hard to use the UI myself because it is on a PSP and not a PC, so that is my only major complaint. I'll get used to it eventually.

On another note THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OH MY GOD YES. I love learning history when I play or watch things and I LIKE. It gives just enough explanation if you are confused, but if you already know everything you can COMLPETELY forgo it too, which makes it perfect for people who want to learn while they enjoy the story or those who already and want to recommend it to someone without having to give them a history lesson as they play.

This is... either the second or third otome game released translated officially, I am not sure. But I like that they chose this one. It is one of the most popular series in Japan and the anime adaption is ongoing, so perhaps they were banking on that a bit (and I get extreme amusement that their choice is ANOTHER feudal Japan story, even if this is about the Shinsengumi, who seem to be popular for adaptations in Japan).

All in all, so far... this is actually a pretty darn good game! I would recommend it to any girl who would like a shot at this, or any guy who doesn't mind the romancy aspect. And DEFINITELY anyone interested in just an interesting historical fiction.

(If I had to put this into numbers... 8/10 so far? I withhold a set score until I actually FINISH it 100%)
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 06:29   Link #11
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Is there a pal version to this? I read a while ago it was susspose to be region free but all I'm seeing I S's NTSC,
Old 2012-06-17, 11:56   Link #12
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

alright finnaly got it ^^

damn Sanan is one creepy bastard, how dare he do that to my Senhime!!

i have to say my favourite route was haradas hell im a guy and i almost fell in love with him lol
Old 2012-06-17, 13:40   Link #13
Bern-san

Yes! I hated Sannan so much because of that... In that route what I did like was Senhime and Kazama's interaction (although I enjoy Kazama's lines when he talks to Chizuru the relationship between Senhime and Kazama is so hilarious).

Harada is my favorite one, don't understand why he isn't as popular as Saitou or Okita. Both in Hakuoki and in Hakuouki Reimeiroku he has the best routes in my opinion.

An interesting thing that I just found out: Senhime is definitely the descendant of Yase-hime from the upcoming game Toki no Kizuna: Sekigahara Kitan!
Spoiler for About Toki no Kizuna:

Connections between Hakuoki and Toki no Kizuna
- One of the villains is called Nagumo Shuu, Nagumo is the clan which adopted Chizuru's twin

- Kazama addressed Senhime as "Yase no Hime" in-game (also mentioned in official settings). In anime Sekkaroku episode 3, around 08:50, Kazama called her "Yase no furuki onna oni", literally "ancient female Oni of Yase".
The background of Toki no Kizuna is Battle of Sekigahara, which took place 264 years before Hakuoki. Therefore Yase-hime could be Senhime's grandma or great-grandma.

- From page 72, Hakuoki Tsuisouroku, Official Settings:
Quote:
For someone born in one of Oni's direct descendant families, he/she is given a name with "" in it as a proof.
Although the word seemed to hint long-living and immortal, that's not how it is. Ancient Oni with blood pure and strong could live up to 150 to 200 years. But nowadays, after blending with human blood, their life span isn't too different from human's.
Hakuoki: Senhime (姫), Chizuru (鶴), and Chikage (景). Kaoru's (薫) "sen" is hidden inside the kanji.
Toki no Kizuna: Chitose (歳), Kazuya (耶), Kazutake (岳), Kazuha (羽), Senkimaru (鬼丸), and Yachiyo (八代) are shown.
Shin (秦), Shiomi Akito (士), Kotoura Touma (真), Tsukishima Isao (朗), and Nagumo Shuu (秀) are hidden
Source of these discoveries
Old 2012-06-17, 13:48   Link #14
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

wow that game looks awesome looks like the fmc knows how to fight in this one, the one bad thing about the first hakuoki game.

God i hope this one is gonna come out in english...
Old 2012-06-17, 14:04   Link #15
Bern-san

Hope she indeed turns out to be badass!
I don't expect it to be released in English, if AKSYS is going to translate more otome games from Otomate they would translate either Hakuoki fandisk or Reimeiroku oh god please Reimeiroku or maybe another successful title like Hiiro no Kakera, Wand of Fortune, I've seen people suggesting Clock Zero...

Tags
hakuoki, otome, psp, shinsengumi