AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-24, 01:08   Link #1661
Scherzo09

Also, saw something on an old page, but I do think Garmilas is the official term for Gamilas now. There's apparently official model kits that use that spelling.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 03:34   Link #1662
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah...but the characters as far as I can tell are still saying Gamilas.

Unless of course the "r" is silent or actually an "L" somehow.
Old 2013-02-24, 04:20   Link #1663
August138

As far as the original naming conventions are concerned, I was mostly speaking in terms of the original series in reference to the EDF and Gamilas ships, not the Comet Empire ships. In YAMATO: 2199 they haven't formally christened any of the Comet Empire ships, yet.

There was a discussion on the changes of English terms and naming in the English Subtitles for YAMATO: 2199, but one of the mods removed them. With that being said, yes, "Gamilas" is now "Garmillas".
Old 2013-02-24, 05:41   Link #1664
Scherzo09

I think it has to do with the Germanic theme naming they're going with Gamilas/Garmillas. Garm was the demon dog that guarded the gates of Hell in Nordic mythology.
Old 2013-02-24, 16:43   Link #1665
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
I think it has to do with the Germanic theme naming they're going with Gamilas/Garmillas. Garm was the demon dog that guarded the gates of Hell in Nordic mythology.
Could be an influence, although the Japanese rendering「ガミラス」(Gamirasu) has not changed... According to Matsumoto, he originally coined the name "Gamilas" from the title of Sheridan Le Fanu's vampire novella, "Carmilla" (『カーミラ』(Kaamira) "Carmilla" = "Garmillas". In reverse, this new romanization should be rendered in katakana this way,「カーミラス」, in order to elongate the vowel in "Ga". So, while the root is "Carmilla", it could be a combination with "Garm", as you suggest.

With that being said, the Yamato crew — especially the fighter pilots — called the antagonists "Gammys"/"Gammies" in the subtitles, so it would be cool to see that rendered now as "Garms"!

Last edited by August138; 2013-02-24 at 16:57.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 17:31   Link #1666
Scherzo09

Another thing I was thinking about how the Wave Motion Engine works. I'm thinking it derives what are called 'virtual' particles from the everywhere permeating Higgs Field, which allows it to generate infinite energy.

Here's a video talking about the Higgs Field:
Old 2013-02-25, 15:24   Link #1667
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

According to the various facebook pages, Bandai is coming out with a 1/1000 scale Gamilas high speed carrier. The starfish shaped one. It is rather large as it is as long as the standard battleship.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10217261

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-02-25 at 21:02. Reason: Link to ship
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 22:17   Link #1668
YF19EX

Just finished Vol4. Man this series defies expectations. The character build up and the questions just keep on coming!
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 22:24   Link #1669
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Just finished Vol4. Man this series defies expectations. The character build up and the questions just keep on coming!
Agreed, so far this redo is, in my humble opinion, turning out to be better than the original...and from a life-long fan of the show, that says something...not sure what, but something.
Old 2013-02-26, 01:11   Link #1670
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My copy arrived today.

That was rather interesting. Understanding more or less what they are saying helps a lot. Especially with little things you wouldn't get from just the images alone.

Also the preview shown at the end of Episode 14 was different (slightly) than the preview shown at the end of Chapter 4 (theatical). The episode preview shows a few less people scenes and more scenes of Gamilas ships opening fire in massive numbers.

It is extremely rare for a remake of anything to be better than the original (unless the original was done poorly to start with that is). This is starting to look like one of those rare instances were the remake may be superior to the original. But that depends a great deal on how this all turns own. Especially on the Gamilas side of things. That is drifting into almost unknown territory. Almost, meaning it was in at least one version of the manga in some form.

Also it will depend on how they end it. And what loose threats they might leave for the future.

Spoiler for Ponderings based on Chapter 4:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-02-26 at 02:52.
Old 2013-02-26, 06:47   Link #1671
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
My copy arrived today.
I hate you. XD

Quote:
That was rather interesting. Understanding more or less what they are saying helps a lot. Especially with little things you wouldn't get from just the images alone.
For now that's all i have so i get what you mean with a sharp pain in my chest.

Quote:
Also the preview shown at the end of Episode 14 was different (slightly) than the preview shown at the end of Chapter 4 (theatical). The episode preview shows a few less people scenes and more scenes of Gamilas ships opening fire in massive numbers.
More Gamilas overkill action... I WANT TO SEE IT... :'(

Quote:
It is extremely rare for a remake of anything to be better than the original (unless the original was done poorly to start with that is). This is starting to look like one of those rare instances were the remake may be superior to the original. But that depends a great deal on how this all turns own. Especially on the Gamilas side of things. That is drifting into almost unknown territory. Almost, meaning it was in at least one version of the manga in some form.

Also it will depend on how they end it. And what loose threats they might leave for the future.
Indeed, i've said it before and i'll say it again, this is the barr that all remakes should strive to clear from here on.
Spoiler for Possible chapter 5 spoilers:

Spoiler for On Ithekro's Ponderings about chapter 4... :D:
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 15:24   Link #1672
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Niimi's line (in English) was "You don't hold back, do you?"
Spoiler for Meaning?:

As for the preview. They took out a shot of Yuria and I think one other shot, and replaced them with Gamilas warships firing. One was a line of Cruisers and a Battlecruiser openning up with all forward facing beam weapons. Both top and bottom turrets. The other was of a mass of destroyers launching their vertical launch missiles in salvo.
Old 2013-02-26, 15:40   Link #1673
Scherzo09

I hope an upload comes out soon. I do really want to buy an eventual English release though.

Last edited by Scherzo09; 2013-02-26 at 21:26.
Old 2013-02-26, 15:46   Link #1674
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

With the fall of the yen the prices internationally are a little better than they were a half year ago. It is down by maybe $14 dollars presently verses in November. So it would be in the 60-65 US dollar range before shipping.

I think your link was to the wrong place. I found one though: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=563647&show=0
Old 2013-02-26, 15:52   Link #1675
Scherzo09

Quote:
With the fall of the yen the prices internationally are a little better than they were a half year ago. It is down by maybe $14 dollars presently verses in November. So it would be in the 60-65 US dollar range before shipping.
I don't feel comfortable spending 300+ dollars on this series though. I would pay 50 or 60 dollars for a complete English set.
Old 2013-02-26, 16:13   Link #1676
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hopefully your risk-reward will come through. I'll be out a few hundred dollars relative to your spending, but I don't spend much on anime otherwise. (it will be between $700 and $800 total by the end due to the need to have purchased a Blu-ray player in order to watch them on release).

Others are supporting the project via purchasing models and other stuff.

The list has Yamato 2199 Chapter 4 in third place in both BD and DVD sales last week. It is surpassed by a film (The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki) in both and two different shows in BD (Girls und Panzers) and DVD (Kuroko no Basket). meaning that after adding up both together, Yamato 2199 is in second overall.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-02-26 at 16:49.
Old 2013-02-26, 19:31   Link #1677
kimpleng
Lurker

kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 14:11   Link #1678
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The other difference being that Okita is the one speaking rather than Yuki. The main differences are that the shot of Yuria is not there and Dommel's speech is near the end instead of the beginning. Also added near were the two additional shots of the Gamilas fleet openning fire.

Spoiler for Gamilas position:

Old 2013-02-27, 19:03   Link #1679
denshousha

The website has been updated. Kitano now has a profile as does Miki Saijo.
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 01:03   Link #1680
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So my guess is Kitano survives the trip and goes to the Academy to become an officer and get his transfere to the Navigation Division rather than Tactical Division. It would explain why not only is the bridge crew comfortable with him in New Voyages, but also why he didn't seem awed by Yamato like the rest of the freshly graduated cadets. Also why Shiima and Kodai would be willing to let him do their jobs at least for part of the trip. Never did find out what (officially) happened to him after that.

Miki is entire new. Sixth named female in Yamato's crew to have a listing. Assuming Yamato has three shift rotation (unknown if true at this time), we have the three shift for radar covered (Yuki, Miki, and Yuria). Why the radar has all female staff for the bridge potition is unknown. My guess is excellent multi-tasking skills are required to handle the job.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato