AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-11, 14:43   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

News Stories

Read more about it in NY Times
Old 2006-10-11, 18:26   Link #2
mit7059

Holy shit, a Yankee's pitcher was flying the plane, things just keep going worse and worse for the Yankees, that really sucks. ESPN article http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-10-11, 20:18   Link #3
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

You're going to hate me for saying this, but I'm not shedding any tears. When you're so filthy stinking rich in a profession in which you "get to retire and play with your six year old child" while everyone else is barely getting a good-paying position (if that), and on top of that, you decide to spend a ton of cash on learning to fly (of all things), when most people would never even DREAM of having such an expensive hobby, and on top of that, you go flying around in a city filled with HIGH-RISES, well...frankly, I really can't feel sorry for that. If an actor/actress or athlete dies from an accident at something so expensive that no normal person can afford it, that's not so much tragic as it is KARMIC.
Old 2006-10-11, 22:02   Link #4
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Actually it's not really all that expensive unless you get up into fancy newer planes. I was a aircraft technician for quite a few years working on private planes, and the guys who owned the planes I worked on were not rich by any means most were probably making close to the poverty level. It's not really any more expensive than having a boat. (Which around here on the great lakes allot of people have)

The thing that got me was how on TV they were all how dangerous it was for privet planes to be flying around New York, and how this was a terrible tragedy.
Well, for the people involved it was, but how many people die in car accidents around New York every year, I bet allot more than the 2 that died in this accident. The only 2 others in recent years were helicopters that set down in the river in '97 and '05. General aviation is a 100 times safer than driving in a car, but every time there is an accident the media and politicians start ranting how dangerous it is and how it should be baned.

Last edited by Sakaki; 2006-10-11 at 23:40.
Old 2006-10-11, 22:05   Link #5
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Yes, that's a heartless thing to say...

I hope you know, flying is not restricted to just the wealthy you know. Middle-class people can afford prop planes like the Cirrus SR20 that Lidle was flying. Prop planes like the Cirrus are like Ford Taurus... don't get confused with the luxary jets (Lear, Galaxy, etc) that cost multi-million dollars. Most of us probably will never come close to owning even a used LearJet plane, but a used prop plane is within our reach.
Old 2006-10-11, 22:10   Link #6
Demongod86

And they only start ranting about it because an athlete or some other high-profile individual that leeches off of "American values" eats it.

You don't see this whole hubbub about some random person dying in a car crash, but once it's a pitcher that few outside the baseball circle give a damn about, OH NOES!!!!

Pfeh, either way, doesn't really matter to me...
Old 2006-10-11, 22:50   Link #7
Kupop
#BlastoMayo Tyrant

Send a message via AIM to Kupop
That's because a car crash is a rather common occurrence. When there's a private plane that crashes and people die (and when a building is set ablaze as a result), you can be damned sure it'll at least reach the local news (which, guess what, is the New York Times in this case). The fact that it was a pitcher from a local team only helps the newsworthiness of it. It doesn't define it.
Old 2006-10-11, 22:56   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
And they only start ranting about it because an athlete or some other high-profile individual that leeches off of "American values" eats it.

You don't see this whole hubbub about some random person dying in a car crash, but once it's a pitcher that few outside the baseball circle give a damn about, OH NOES!!!!

It was news before they even knew who it was... A plane crashes into a building and it's going to be on the news, no matter who was flying it... Try looking up the statistics for deaths in car accidents sometime. You'll then have a pretty good idea why it doesn't make the news.

Anyway, it's a good thing no one on the ground was killed.
Old 2006-10-11, 22:57   Link #9
Tommy
Mr. Prince

There was another person on the plane... May they both rest in peace.
Old 2006-10-11, 23:27   Link #10
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I don't see what DG86 is on about. If they were two regular people, it still would have been news. The fact that the pilot was a celebrity just adds to it.
I'm beginning to wonder if the buildings in New York City are magnetic or something...
Old 2006-10-12, 01:51   Link #11
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
You're going to hate me for saying this, but I'm not shedding any tears. When you're so filthy stinking rich in a profession in which you "get to retire and play with your six year old child" while everyone else is barely getting a good-paying position (if that), and on top of that, you decide to spend a ton of cash on learning to fly (of all things), when most people would never even DREAM of having such an expensive hobby, and on top of that, you go flying around in a city filled with HIGH-RISES, well...frankly, I really can't feel sorry for that. If an actor/actress or athlete dies from an accident at something so expensive that no normal person can afford it, that's not so much tragic as it is KARMIC.

If you're posting here, chances are you are incredibly wealthy compared to a person with median income or purchasing power parity for the whole of humanity. Don't say that wealth devalues a life without first considering how wealthy you really are.

I'm annoyed by how much attention celebrities get, but that's the fault of consumers, not the celebrities themselves. Dying in an accident isn't karmic, it's a bad turn for them the same way it is for anyone else, yourself included.
Old 2006-10-12, 13:39   Link #12
mit7059

I'd like to point out that neither the thread title nor the original post even mention the fact that it was a NY Yankees pitcher, I brought that up, the reason why this was news was that it was a plane crashing into a high-rise in New York City. People are still a little twitchy about that whole 9/11 thing,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
If an actor/actress or athlete dies from an accident at something so expensive that no normal person can afford it, that's not so much tragic as it is KARMIC.
Sure celebs and athletes make a lot more money than most people, they may not deserve it, but they do, they're not evil for having money, as your reference to karma implies. From what I understand the Yankees bring a lot of enjoyment and happiness to the people of new york (at least until recently, sorry I'm from detroit) is the enjoyment and happiness that Lidle brought to all those people worth $3.3 million dollars? Maybe, Probably, I think so.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-10-12, 14:10   Link #13
aahhsin

Quote:
Oh yea, just blame the guy for being able to have financial success. Just because you're so angry that you WILL NEVER BE a yankees pitcher probably never even being able to be a professional athlete in any sport. Don't think he's some cunt. You're the bigger cunt. Just because he worked harder than you, you're all angry at him dying.

How about you get off your fatass seat and try and gain better finanical success than what you're doing currently. Do you think everyone can throw a fastball at 100 mph? He worked extremely hard at it.

I'm not saying there aren't other reasons for people being poor, but to just criticize the rich is just rediculous.

Sorry but I really hate people that only blame the rich for their own shitty lives.
Old 2006-10-12, 15:09   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Well, you did take the trouble of reading and posting twice on this thread, no?
Old 2006-10-12, 15:25   Link #15
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
I'd like to point out that neither the thread title nor the original post even mention the fact that it was a NY Yankees pitcher, I brought that up, the reason why this was news was that it was a plane crashing into a high-rise in New York City. People are still a little twitchy about that whole 9/11 thing, Sure celebs and athletes make a lot more money than most people, they may not deserve it, but they do, they're not evil for having money, as your reference to karma implies. From what I understand the Yankees bring a lot of enjoyment and happiness to the people of new york (at least until recently, sorry I'm from detroit) is the enjoyment and happiness that Lidle brought to all those people worth $3.3 million dollars? Maybe, Probably, I think so.
That was because when Monir posted that, there were not enough details about it. Heck I learned it was Corey Liddle Like 8 Hours after the post was made.

Either way, I’m a Yankee and overall baseball Fan, so its really sad to see an Athlete pass away by a tragic accident. And As You said, Planes crashing in Building in NY is freaky, and if anyone noticed, the plane crashed exactly one month after 9/11…10/11..So when I got to se the news I was a bit suspicious about that crash.
Old 2006-10-12, 15:31   Link #16
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
That was because when Monir posted that, there were not enough details about it. Heck I learned it was Corey Liddle Like 8 Hours after the post was made.

Either way, I’m a Yankee and overall baseball Fan, so its really sad to see an Athlete pass away by a tragic accident. And As You said, Planes crashing in Building in NY is freaky, and if anyone noticed, the plane crashed exactly one month after 9/11…10/11..So when I got to se the news I was a bit suspicious about that crash.
Uhhh, I hate to quibble, but I'll quibble all the same, it was known at the time of the first post that it was Lidle in the plane, if you click on the link to the NY Times article in the original post thats the first thing it says. Sorry for being anal, but that just how I am. But it really is a tragic accident, I feel most for his six-year old son who will now go without a father for the rest of his life, kinda like Goro from major...except real, and therefore infinately more tragic.
Old 2006-10-12, 15:43   Link #17
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Uhhh, I hate to quibble, but I'll quibble all the same, it was known at the time of the first post that it was Lidle in the plane, if you click on the link to the NY Times article in the original post thats the first thing it says. Sorry for being anal, but that just how I am.
When it was posted it did not say it was Lidle, obviously, the News were updated (its a web page after all), but he first newsflash did not had any Information regarding the people inside the plane, it only talked about how Nobody in the building were Injured.

I know Because minutes from Monir post I was already reading the Article posted, not to mention when the news flash were flying the airwaves the information about who were the passengers were still unknown.
Old 2006-10-12, 15:51   Link #18
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
When it was posted it did not say it was Lidle, obviously, the News were updated (its a web page after all), but he first newsflash did not had any Information regarding the people inside the plane, it only talked about how Nobody in the building were Injured.

I know Because minutes from Monir post I was already reading the Article posted, not to mention when the news flash were flying the airwaves the information about who were the passengers were still unknown.
Whoops, now i just look like an ass
Old 2006-10-12, 16:00   Link #19
Rurik
Golden

No, you do not, You just were misinformed. You would had looked like an ass if you have tried to say I was lying…

In fact it was confirmed it was Corey Lidle after the police found his Passport in the crash site. And the other passenger was just identified some moments ago:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/12/plane.crash/index.html
Old 2006-10-13, 00:12   Link #20
Demongod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
Oh yea, just blame the guy for being able to have financial success. Just because you're so angry that you WILL NEVER BE a yankees pitcher probably never even being able to be a professional athlete in any sport. Don't think he's some cunt. You're the bigger cunt. Just because he worked harder than you, you're all angry at him dying.

How about you get off your fatass seat and try and gain better finanical success than what you're doing currently. Do you think everyone can throw a fastball at 100 mph? He worked extremely hard at it.

I'm not saying there aren't other reasons for people being poor, but to just criticize the rich is just rediculous.

Sorry but I really hate people that only blame the rich for their own shitty lives.
LMAO. Working hard? You mean working to 35 and then retiring set for life and then some? As compared to working till 65?

Working for 10 or working for 40 years? What's harder?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international