AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 09:39   Link #401
vin.dictive

Kinda like that elf thing from Berserk (keep forgetting his name). I know the main character needs someone to interact but still...

Puck. :)

MADHOUSE did a great job dealing with Elena and her companionship with Clare. I especially liked the little touches that MADHOUSE added in order to stretch this episode effectively with reasonable emphasis: (stuff to add so my post is less spamtastic)

- The intensified depth between Clare and Elena (conveyed through flashblacks).
- A glimpse of Elena's gradual transformation to a 'Yoma'.
- The stroll through the town (and finding out Elena passed through the town days earlier)
- How Clare attempted to dump Raki in the hotel (allowing Raki, our only 'human' observer, to understand the fate of Claymores through the collector in black. at least they nailed one concept before moving on)
- The magnified tension where both Clare and Elena approached each other from the sides.

Although I do agree the repetition with 'half-human, half-yoma' was redundant and Raki is too clingy. I wasn't bothered by it though.

Second episode pretty much answered where the yoma got the claymore outfit last episode.
>>so they just bury their dead wherever they fall? Organization does treat them as tools.

She did a great job restoring it. :p

Last edited by vin.dictive; 2007-04-12 at 09:51.
vin.dictive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 11:15   Link #402
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Episode 2.

Man, the character designs are really getting on my nerves. Seems I'm not suited for overly-grotesque faces and exaggerated features...

But other than that, the episode seemed kinda predictable when the black card was given to Clare. I mean, I could see everything till the bitter end, except for small details here and there. However, it might just be because of certain people who don't know how to use the spoiler tag, and don't know how to differentiate manga from anime, so...

And yeah, give Raki a good spanking. Preferably, with a sharp and edged object.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 12:13   Link #403
KageNoKaze

This anime made me stop lurking for the first time.

Hi nice to meet you all btw. I doubt you'll hear from me again, but I had to let this off of my chest...

Wow, Elena was voiced by Kawasumi Ayako and they killed her off just like that? So...CRUEL!!
KageNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:00   Link #404
Joojoobees

On repeated dialogue

I think Cythraul's complaint was about people (especially Raki) parroting back lines, instead of asking follow-up questions, but something that irked me was:

Spoiler for repeated dialogue:
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:04   Link #405
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I think Cythraul's complaint was about people (especially Raki) parroting back lines, instead of asking follow-up questions, but something that irked me was:

I like the ep but yeah it would have been better serve by lengthing the fight at the beginning and cutting the diaglogue down.

Otoh, it could just be that the production people are saving the money for the
Spoiler:
, which will need a lot of money for the animation to do it justice. That i can live with.
Old 2007-04-12, 17:09   Link #406
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Repetition for emphasis didn't bother me. I think it did a good job of conveying all Elena meant to Clare without going into an out of character outpouring of emotions.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 17:21   Link #407
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Noticed that repetition part as well, a black mark for me there.
Old 2007-04-12, 17:36   Link #408
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It only bothered me a little. It was a sign of how this episode was padded to turn a single chapter into an entire episode. Mostly it was very well done with some small additions such as the scenes showing Elena and Clare holding each other, but this was a bit of a letdown. In the manga they only spoke those words once. Here... well, I'll excuse them since most of this episode was so touching and I can understand how she might repeat herself to find comfort in her words.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 20:15   Link #409
Lumir

Holly crap! I intrestingly enough saw a pic on some anime site of clair and it struck me as quite intresting. It showed clair in her armor (really nice design i must say) with this sinister/lost/no-mercy type look. I looked further into the pic and found out there was an anime involved.

And now here i am, a happy anime fan who has just been presented with another anime that looks so promising. Just saw ep 1 and i must say it has definetly captured my intrest.

When i finished ep 1 i was recalling my castlevania days for some reason, either its the music or the theme that has me feeling castlevania similarities to this series. Anyways the ED song is quite nice i love it in all its epic tones (elec guitar ftw). And as for animation quality id have to give it 8/10 so far.

Lumir recommends this anime to any anime fan. I hope it can make it into the "current series" area of the forums tho i dont know how animes make it into there.

Off to get ep 2.
Old 2007-04-12, 20:25   Link #410
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Scene 02 - The Black Card

I felt that episode two was mostly an informative episode issued to answer the basic questions regarding on what are the Claymores.
Spoiler:

The significant topics addressed are the tidbits of Clare's past, which are going to be leaked episode by episode until they give the answer to Laki's question about why Clare became a Claymore to fight Yoma that badly, and finally the pain and toughness Laki and Clare will have to endure for each other knowing the abysmal fate that will eventually befall on Clare.

They even started to make direct references on what the organization does and established other questions.
Spoiler:

I think that most of the development that took place on episode was directed at Clare's past.
Spoiler:

I may or not be the only who is making the following comparison.
Mr. X in Claymore hardly reminisces to me John Smith from My-Otome.

And the black card is a slight reminiscence to the Schwarz card, which contains the black crystal, also in My-Otome.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 20:40   Link #411
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

ANN now has this show listed as a 26 episodes run; Is there a way to confirm or deny this.
Old 2007-04-12, 21:03   Link #412
Lumir

Just watched ep two and it really explained alot about the "claymore". Their fate seems to be predetermined. I didnt think that gaining the power of a yoma had such a sever effect, though i expected one, but to become one entirely and loose all control? Thats quite a price to pay, but i could see why its well worth it.

This series has got me cringing for more information on the claymore and even the yoma. There origins, there goals, and everything else. Great anime so far.

What is really on my mind is, what happens if a black card is not sent out from someone who is at their control limit? Do they change into a normal yoma or do they become something much stronger?
Old 2007-04-12, 22:29   Link #413
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode 2. Good show, even if it isn't what I normally watch. I actually liked the repetition. Very strong and poetic. The meeting with the guy was good. Killing the animal was good. The design and animation was powerful. Kuwashima Houko was terrific.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 22:34   Link #414
vin.dictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post

Ahh that. That doesn't scorch a black mark on my side though as NoSanninWa previously said: "I can understand how she might repeat herself to find comfort in her words." To me, this shows her humane side as a Claymore... well, what's 'left' of it anyway (as a half-yoma, half-human).
vin.dictive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 23:23   Link #415
Carrie Asagiri
Knight Saber

Send a message via MSN to Carrie Asagiri Send a message via Yahoo to Carrie Asagiri
I didn't doubt for a second that Claymore would be one of the best series from this season. Mad House is always doing great series and judging from the success they had with Nana and Death Note, just to mention two examples.
Kuwashima Houko is great as Clare. And is kinda weird to listen her in a character so different from what she did before.
I mean Kirika from Noir, Quon from RahXephon and Margaret from Madlax shared some kind of patron xD. Maybe Shoukei from Juuni Kokki was something different too.
I can't wait to see Teresa, her seiyuu will be Romi Paku.
Carrie Asagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 23:40   Link #416
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Asagiri View Post
I didn't doubt for a second that Claymore would be one of the best series from this season. Mad House is always doing great series and judging from the success they had with Nana and Death Note, just to mention two examples.
Kuwashima Houko is great as Clare. And is kinda weird to listen her in a character so different from what she did before.
I mean Kirika from Noir, Quon from RahXephon and Margaret from Madlax shared some kind of patron xD. Maybe Shoukei from Juuni Kokki was something different too.
I can't wait to see Teresa, her seiyuu will be Romi Paku.
Her debut role was our all time favorite air-head Yurika form Nadesico.
Old 2007-04-12, 23:53   Link #417
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Asagiri View Post
Kuwashima Houko is one of the most versatile voice actresses in the business. I'd say that Clare is a more melancholic version of Maron from Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. To be honest, shounen action is one of my least favorite genres, and I'd have never watched it if I didn't find out that Kuwashima Houko was the lead. So far, she's done a bangup job, and I think that Claymore is quite promising, so I'm glad I did follow it.
Old 2007-04-13, 00:02   Link #418
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
ANN now has this show listed as a 26 episodes run; Is there a way to confirm or deny this.
wikipedia says it is planned for 50 episodes. 26 episodes seem a bit short for 12+ volumes of material.
Old 2007-04-13, 00:06   Link #419
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

k..is CLAYMORE's body in the front real pathetic looking, since "Rubel" told that he wonders how Raki will feel if he ever saw her like that.(when she was stripping) Because this was said in the manga too, but they didnt show it, is it referred to or shown in the future volumes of the manga??
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 00:15   Link #420
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenta View Post
wikipedia says it is planned for 50 episodes. 26 episodes seem a bit short for 12+ volumes of material.
Well, there's no telling if they will actually cover the whole thing, but let's see how the show develops.

It would be great if they actually cover everything in the manga so far.

Thanks for answering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
k..is CLAYMORE's body in the front real pathetic looking, since "Rubel" told that he wonders how Raki will feel if he ever saw her like that.(when she was stripping) Because this was said in the manga too, but they didnt show it, is it referred to or shown in the future volumes of the manga??
I though he was saying it the other way around, like: how that boy will feel if he were to see that hawt body of yours.