AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2014-09-16, 05:25   Link #361
kenshinstyle

Hideyuki Kukasawa is amazing. I was rejoicing when I heard he and not Yuki Kaijura will be the composer for FSN. Yuki Kaijura's music is very good, just look at Fate/Zero, but I prefer Hideyuki more diverse music. I particularly like his work in Mahoyo.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=unlCTE4iqyo
kenshinstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 08:37   Link #362
Tenchi Hou Take

One thing I'll say most the tracks I've heard of him seem to fairly slow paced, wich is great for certain aspects of the plot but UBW is also fairly upbeat ad empowering at moments so I hope doesn't all tracks in the same sort of vain ala F/Z.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 09:03   Link #363
kenshinstyle

For action and upbeat scenes just try Kengen or Five from Mahoyo which are epic enough, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCQIwPdAXco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTGcpO2NsY
Old 2014-09-16, 09:33   Link #364
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinstyle View Post
For action and upbeat scenes just try Kengen or Five from Mahoyo which are epic enough, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCQIwPdAXco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTGcpO2NsY
Is that chanted Japanese? If so that's a first for me. The later bits don't sound like it but words are harder to hear.
Old 2014-09-16, 10:07   Link #365
kenshinstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Is that chanted Japanese? If so that's a first for me. The later bits don't sound like it but words are harder to hear.
I'm not sure what language its in, I don't think its in Japanese though.
Old 2014-09-16, 10:35   Link #366
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinstyle View Post
I'm not sure what language its in, I don't think its in Japanese though.
The beginning is Japanese, it even sounds like the name of the VN.
Old 2014-10-15, 03:52   Link #367
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

Seeing as there are no ufoFSN OST CD release at the moment, I am and would be comparing the OSTs in their usage in the anime. Both DeenFSN and ufoFSN OSTs atm are more on the ambient side. However, as I take notes on their usage on certain scenes on the prologue (as they both share in showing their take on it) I noticed bits here and there in the DeenFSN that the OST isn't that good or placed wrongly.
1st can be DeenRin's summoning. It uses vocals, strings and ambiance that come off as menacing and somewhat of dread which it shouldn't be. This can be excusable since the scenes before it are Saber and Gil's battle in the burning town and Kirei's explanation of the HGW. Both show menace and dread so it was appropriate for Rin's summoning to feel similar. But in comparison to ufoFSN, I see DeenFSN underwhelming for that scene. ufoFSN has a string quartet buildup which gives off a magical/mystical feel which I see to be better and more faithful to VN.
2nd is the Rin meeting Archer. While yes, DeenFSN only has it for a few seconds with no music, it already shows something (no OST is good at parts). It shows the surprise of Rin in the weird event of her living room crashing down with a being sitting down all cocky. ufoFSN has a small rendition of EMIYA with strings and electric guitar timed well to portray his supernatural being newly summoned to the world. It also has a guitar beat with strings going into accented crescendos as it is timed with the conversation with the crescendos coming more prominent as the conversation climaxes into Rin's frustration and use of a Command Seal. That rendition of EMIYA is already a notable track for me that can compete with some of DeenFSN's tracks.
3rd is Shirou's flashback of the fire. DeenFSN has sad sounding strings complemented with the rain which matches well with the sad experience. It goes on to Kiritsugu finding Shirou and Shirou's initial survival's guilt in the hospital. That's real good but the OST overstayed its welcome as it continues to play over the simple scene of Sakura waking Shirou up. There is no real meaning to those events other that Shirou grown up and had survived the fire so it gave the scene a rather unnatural tone. ufoFSN made it simple. The sound of burning with ambient bells with desolate piano chords complement Shirou's experience during the fire. The simple use of piano chords (less is more at times) reflect the emptiness Shirou felt in that event and promptly stops before going into Sakura waking Shirou up which makes the scene more natural and less off that DeenFSN.

I have more as I'm going through the usage of OSTs in the scenes that both DeenFSN and ufoFSN share.

Oh and during the comedic scenes, both are on equal ground in helping the comedy in the scene. DeenFSN has a louder one but it is no more appropriate than the more subtle ufoFSN OST in that scene.

As for OP and ED, I'll talk about the lyrics first.
Disillusion has a melancholic feel to the lyrics which is fine. It is appropriate for the Fate route of DeenFSN which holds a mix of lyrics pertaining to Shirou and Saber.
"My cry doesn't reach the image of the day I saw in a dream.
No matter how I picture my future self, it is always steeped in hope that will never fade.
Reach out your hand and catch the falling pieces, then hold my trembling heart and leap into the night!
Isn't it enough to live for someone else and let this moment be all there is?
Let's gently cast aside our false selves and just be who we really are."

Ideal White's lyrics are more dedicated to Shirou's experience in the fire and his ideals i.e.
"Right next to a despair that threatens to incinerate my whole heart,
You were always there, smiling in a way that seemed to melt it away.
Each time I lost my footing,
With a voice that erases time, and words that are never heard,
I clung desperately to you again and again...
This pure, pure, pure white future is our one and only hope;
My current self has nothing but this vague feeling to rely on.
There's more than just one true answer, so I'll keep searching for tomorrow that's mine alone... forever and ever!"

Lyrics wise, Disillusion is more poetic than Ideal White. Ideal White is more straight forward which fits Shirou's defense and development of his ideals. Both fit the tone of their respective routes that portray them. So to me, both are equal in lyrics. Music composition fits both lyrics and what they portray so it comes down to taste in music.

ED wise, here's my thoughts,
Anata ga Ita Mori focuses in Shirou's love for Saber (foreshadows Last Episode)
"In the deep, dark forest, as I search for the faint fragrance of the lingering traces of the days I held dear, I suddenly hear you laugh.
I reach out to try to touch you, but your image fluttered fleetingly in midair.
I've missed you for so long, I've longed for you for so long.
Wandering through sleepless nights, I am crying, enveloped within the light and shadow you left behind, here in the deep, dark forest."

Believe on the other hand, is more or less poetic as Disillusion and it focuses on (well, VN readers would know just by reading the lyrics so I won't be putting a spoiler thing)
"We still didn't know a thing.
Vainly seeking nothingness with our empty hands.
Then the smallest conflict bound you hands,
Deluding your view of the future.
I don't even know how to protect anything,
But I don't even mind if these feelings are a farce;
I want to live on my own...
Within the time that approaches in turn,
I'm believing in the fact that I'm already there with you;
Until this dream reaches a gentle end,
We'll take turns opening the way; fight to pray!"

ED wise, I'll ignore Kalafina's other works just as I have with the other OPs and ED. Lyric wise, both are good on their own right, Anata ga's romance and believe's ideals. Music wise, both are well done in my opinion as I prefer the EDs over the OPs. Again, down to your own taste.

Both are on equal footing so there is no "better or worse" between the two. It comes down to taste. People would complain that believe is standard Kalafina fare and while I think it is, it isn't that bad as this is their distinct sound. If you look at Kalafina's believe by itself as a musical composition with little to no knowledge of other Kalafina works (which I know some people do), then believe is a well composed piece of music. Yes, Kalafina is becoming too standard, yes people are starting to get tired of hearing the same style (though that maybe because they listen to Kalafina in somewhat quick succession) but it is still good.

There's my 2 cents on the matter.
Rev Okkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 16:49   Link #368
Amarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post
I find Kajiura far to played out these days. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised when I heard we were getting somebody kind of new to the anime scene for this show though I still liked Kawai's music a lot too. I like Kawai a lot more than Kajiura in general though in terms of style and getting the most out of a scene with his music. If there is one drawback to Kawai though it's that he sometimes can do that whole thing where he does a leitmotif and then bases a ton of tracks around that same song (like Power in Gundam 00 for example) but when the track is good enough it kind of makes up for it in a way.
Lots of composers do that though, Kajiura included. In fact, she did it to great effect in what I consider to be her best work (Xenosaga and Kara no Kyoukai), so personally I really don't find that style to be a drawback. I like it when shows have a main theme whose notes are omnipresent throughout the soundtrack, it makes the emotional impact all the greater whenever you hear and recognize them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post
All 3 composers have their strengths and weaknesses though, I'm just part of the crowd that is really tired of Kajiura and feel that we've heard more than enough of her lately that I like it when I hear something different for a big budget hyped show like this.
I think that's more due to her overexposure than the quality of her work itself. Like Hanazawa Kana, for example, who does consistently good work in most of the stuff she's in, but since she's in everything these days, some people have naturally grown tired of her. And this analogy to voice acting can extend to typecasting as well, since most studios that hire Kajiura probably want and ask for the classic Kajiura sound with operatic pop tunes that is so instantly recognizable these days. In that regard, even though I'm still a big fan of her, I do feel it would be nice if someone got her to stray from the formula a little, but it probably won't happen very often considering how popular her trademark sound is at the moment.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-11, 00:34   Link #369
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

Berserker got dubstep, Rider got techno-ish stuff...
I expect Caster to get electronica.
Old 2014-11-11, 07:45   Link #370
Mr Nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Okkin View Post
Berserker got dubstep, Rider got techno-ish stuff...
I expect Caster to get electronica.
And Hideyuki already done this that I reckon will be similar (at least instrumental wise) for Assassin.
Mr Nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-11, 16:09   Link #371
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

Yup, Assassin's should be Japanese-esque.
Then does that mean TA would have an Arabic-ish music?
Old 2014-12-30, 00:30   Link #372
jzmagic
flargansbog

Anyone know when LiSA's "Illusion" single is coming out?
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-21, 17:32   Link #373
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvpD...fh8mRARpUYqs2K

It's out, me friends.
A bit grainy recording (I'm a bit inclined to think this guy recorded it with a microphone rather than ripping it).
But hell yeah, this is most satisfying~
#betteranimation #betterediting
Old 2015-03-21, 20:34   Link #374
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Okkin View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvpD...fh8mRARpUYqs2K

It's out, me friends.
A bit grainy recording (I'm a bit inclined to think this guy recorded it with a microphone rather than ripping it).
But hell yeah, this is most satisfying~
This is just the OST of the first half, so the best is yet to come (in 3-6 months)!

LOL @ people who thought it would be "inferior" to Kaijura's FZ OST.
Old 2015-03-21, 20:55   Link #375
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
This is just the OST of the first half, so the best is yet to come (in 3-6 months)!

It's good but not nearly as good as Kajiura's FZ
Old 2015-03-21, 21:15   Link #376
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

Please, there were so many tracks in the first OST that is just ambience or literal cut outs from other tracks.

Fukusawa knows how to do background incidental music and by God, it blows Kajiura's FZ OST 1 out of the water and beyond.
I would need UBW OST 2 to be able to validly compare against Kajiura's FZ OST and Kawaii's FSN OST

Speaking of which, Dark Glow is such a fitting Gilgamesh track
Old 2015-03-21, 21:37   Link #377
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
It's good but not nearly as good as Kajiura's FZ
FZ only got a few memorable tracks... and those were mostly on the 2nd cour OST. The first cour OST of F/SN is much better than the 1st cour OST of F/Z, because F/Z is only the same all the time, while F/SN got a lot of different styles.

Well, we will see the end result after the 2nd cour OST for F/SN is released. Hideyuki better make an EMIYA that surpasses F/Z's This Day and Never Again!
Old 2015-03-22, 02:08   Link #378
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
FZ only got a few memorable tracks... and those were mostly on the 2nd cour OST. The first cour OST of F/SN is much better than the 1st cour OST of F/Z, because F/Z is only the same all the time, while F/SN got a lot of different styles.

Well, we will see the end result after the 2nd cour OST for F/SN is released. Hideyuki better make an EMIYA that surpasses F/Z's This Day and Never Again!
None of the tracks are too memorable for me. I enjoy track 3, 9 and 18 the most on this album but they get tired pretty quickly. Can't say the same for FZ.
Old 2015-03-22, 02:14   Link #379
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I love my Capcom fighting games.. so I've heard a lot of Hideyuki Fukasawa, and I'm quite a fan of his... but this is nowhere near as good as Kaijura's F/Z score.... Rule The Battlefield (so good she had to pretty much copy it for her best SAO theme...) is leagues above anything on this OST.

Quote:
He's pretty decent at remixing themes....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 02:31   Link #380
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
None of the tracks are too memorable for me. I enjoy track 3, 9 and 18 the most on this album but they get tired pretty quickly. Can't say the same for FZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I love my Capcom fighting games.. so I've heard a lot of Hideyuki Fukasawa, and I'm quite a fan of his... but this is nowhere near as good as Kaijura's F/Z score.... Rule The Battlefield (so good she had to pretty much copy it for her best SAO theme...) is leagues above anything on this OST.
1. Memorability does not equal how well the music is composed. I remember nothing from Lord of the Rings but hell would be me if I say the music was bad.
2. Do remember it's OST 1 against FZ OST 1, just in case
3. Rule the Battlefield is a song of charisma. UBW has no OST to compare to its genre or its intention of use, so invalid.

A better comparison is FZ's Secret Maneuvers against UBW's Dark Glow.
One can't deny Dark Glow has a darker ambiance and overall better composition.