AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-11-17, 11:39   Link #201
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

So I'm watching reviews come in, and doesn't seem like there's any spectacular game that truly makes great use of the controller. The games are split into 2 categories: games that could have gone on other consoles but maybe use a couple aspects of the Wii controller (a la the new Marvel Game) or games that use the Wii controller fully but are half-baked (red steel, if early reviews are correct) or bland (monkey ball, excite truck). Trauma Center looks good, but I really don't feel like playing it again. Of course I'll get Zelda, but does anybody know if there are any other really solid launch or near-launch Wii games?

On a side note, do I need to have played past Zelda games to truly enjoy the new one? Are the stories (wait for it)....Linked?

EDIT: I take it back- Rayman: Raving Rabbids looks like it may just be what I'm looking for. A very positive review from IGN...http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746378p2.html

Last edited by wsheit; 2006-11-17 at 12:11.
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 13:05   Link #202
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
On a side note, do I need to have played past Zelda games to truly enjoy the new one? Are the stories (wait for it)....Linked?
Nope, it is a new story, as far as i know.
Most of the zelda games are not really linked with each other.

Elebits, look kind of fun, to bad that it has been pushed back a bit.
You could try CoD3, ok it doesn't have multiplayer,
but appearently it has the better control config compared to red steel.
Maybe metal slug anthology, but it depends on the price...

Bleach and Wing Island are coming out in december other than that,
there isn't much interesting titles untill next year for my taste.
Now the problem is that some titles are only planed to be
release in japan for now (and of course the other way arround as well.)

Nevertheless since you could try out some a cube games,
RE4 and Killer7 (and others) are worth checking out.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 13:46   Link #203
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Nope, it is a new story, as far as i know.
Most of the zelda games are not really linked with each other.

Elebits, look kind of fun, to bad that it has been pushed back a bit.
You could try CoD3, ok it doesn't have multiplayer,
but appearently it has the better control config compared to red steel.
Maybe metal slug anthology, but it depends on the price...

Bleach and Wing Island are coming out in december other than that,
there isn't much interesting titles untill next year for my taste.
Now the problem is that some titles are only planed to be
release in japan for now (and of course the other way arround as well.)

Nevertheless since you could try out some a cube games,
RE4 and Killer7 (and others) are worth checking out.
Well ultimately it's a gimmick.
There's no range of motion you can do with your wrist that you can't simulate with a small thumbstick.

Frankly, the way I see it, the Wii is a party system. Nintendo has been leaning towards that, since its most popular games nowadays are all party games; SSB, Mario Party, Mario Kart, etc.

To be honest, I don't think the new Zelda looks all that great. Granted, if it beats TOOT, I'll be amazed, because TOOT is the pinnacle of game design to me. But it just looks full of gimmicks. I'm not digging the whole wolf thing. And I'm not that keen on playing Zelda by swinging my arm around.

Some Zelda games are linked though.
Zelda I and Zelda II are within the same storyline.
Link's Awakening takes place directly after ALLTP.
Majora's Mask and TOOT are, as well.

Twilight Princess looks to take place at a time near TOOT, since you do have the whole fairy thing going on.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 14:08   Link #204
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
There's no range of motion you can do with your wrist that you can't simulate with a small thumbstick.
Gimmick is a word that has been lacking adequate definition for some time. I played a Wii in the store yesterday (Excite Truck) and had quite a good time. I was surprised at how small and sleek the controller was and went away with a very good impression. I'm simply worried that there won't be enough "serious" exclusives. Still...it looks like loads of fun, and I imagine I might even be able to rope my housemates (all ladies) into playing.
Old 2006-11-17, 14:37   Link #205
chasqui85

Im just dissapointed at the fact the Nintedo has put its older consumers ASIDE once again. Yes, you can say we have red steel and all but those games are nothing compared to GoW(360), and that Ps3 game, which i don't know the name to.. I am hopeing Wii will release something similar to those titles to make me a bit more happier..
chasqui85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 14:45   Link #206
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Gimmick is a word that has been lacking adequate definition for some time. I played a Wii in the store yesterday (Excite Truck) and had quite a good time. I was surprised at how small and sleek the controller was and went away with a very good impression. I'm simply worried that there won't be enough "serious" exclusives. Still...it looks like loads of fun, and I imagine I might even be able to rope my housemates (all ladies) into playing.
Mmm, I personally define gimmicks in games as a minor "feature" the game is solely based upon.

This feature may be fun and unique in itself, but it becomes a gimmick when it's the sole focus and is overused.

It's sort of like the DS. The DS has some awesome games, but how many of them actually make REAL use of both screens? What can you do on the two screens that you can't do on one?
Old 2006-11-17, 14:55   Link #207
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
It's sort of like the DS. The DS has some awesome games, but how many of them actually make REAL use of both screens? What can you do on the two screens that you can't do on one?
I'll defend the DS to my last breath (well...there's a chance that that might be a slight exaggeration). Most DS games use the second screen at least to display stats, maps, or other relevant information- which really helps game flow. Many DS games use the stylus as an expedient for control- Advance Wars feels TWICE as fast with a touch screen. And there are a decent number of games that use the stylus in really inventive ways- such as Tetris DS and Kirby: Canvass Curse. If the DS is "gimmicky", then bring on the gimmicks.
Old 2006-11-17, 15:14   Link #208
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Twilight Princess looks to take place at a time near TOOT, since you do have the whole fairy thing going on.
OOT is overated as hell. Majoras Mask was vastly superior in terms of design, completeness and story, just nobody ever bothered playing into it.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 15:19   Link #209
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
I'll defend the DS to my last breath (well...there's a chance that that might be a slight exaggeration). Most DS games use the second screen at least to display stats, maps, or other relevant information- which really helps game flow. Many DS games use the stylus as an expedient for control- Advance Wars feels TWICE as fast with a touch screen. And there are a decent number of games that use the stylus in really inventive ways- such as Tetris DS and Kirby: Canvass Curse. If the DS is "gimmicky", then bring on the gimmicks.
Nothing wrong with the stylus or the touch screen. But dual screens is a gimmick. Stats, etc... all of that is "optional" stuff. Can you tell me a game which uses the dual screen at the core of its actual gameplay? And again, I'm not saying the DS is bad. It's got excellent games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
OOT is overated as hell. Majoras Mask was vastly superior in terms of design, completeness and story, just nobody ever bothered playing into it.
I played Majora's Mask, and I thought it as good, not great. The story wasn't as epic as TOOT. It seemed more like a side story than anything else. The gameplay and everything else was fine, though I'm not a big fan of the masks.
Old 2006-11-17, 15:56   Link #210
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the stylus or the touch screen. But dual screens is a gimmick. Stats, etc... all of that is "optional" stuff. Can you tell me a game which uses the dual screen at the core of its actual gameplay? And again, I'm not saying the DS is bad. It's got excellent games.
Well...there are plenty of platformers that use the dual screens together (sonic, for example). There's also Advance Wars: Dual Strike that has simultaneous air and land battles. Phoenix Wright has the main story taking place on the top screen while the bottom can be used to peruse court materials and apply them to the top. I think there are very valid applications of the second screen. Trace Memory (though a crappy game) had some pretty creative applications as well. And I just love how the whole thing closes up- no protecting case necessary. I doubt they would even have thought of that if not for dual screens.
Old 2006-11-17, 19:24   Link #211
Sides

Quote:
Come on game consoles are toys in the first place,
so ultimately all consoles are gimmicks in one way or the other
and that is why we enjoy them.

Quote:
Some Zelda games are linked though.
Zelda I and Zelda II are within the same storyline.
Link's Awakening takes place directly after ALLTP.
Majora's Mask and TOOT are, as well.
Yep, but you can play any zelda game without knowing the other one.
The story in each game is pretty much self contained.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 20:53   Link #212
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Actually, I'd say with the use of a touch screen for controls, the dual screen is pretty much neccessary. If not dual screens, then at least a single larger screen split, for all intents and purposes, into two. The reason for this should be obvious, unless you have invisible hands.

As for a minor feature, it's become pretty important to me even in games that don't use touch screen controls. I'm spoiled by Castlevania, where I no longer need to switch to another screen to see the map. Mario Kart, not having valuable screen space taken up by the map. Tactical Assault, not needing to switch between several screens and either stopping the action or being blind to it while checking on ship functions.
Old 2006-11-17, 21:21   Link #213
Papaya
Sup

Okay, you guys win.
Old 2006-11-17, 22:08   Link #214
Lebron
I hear voices

GS just gave Zelda:TP a 8.8. Its time for everyone to head to their bunkers and duck and cover. Armageddon is here
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 22:31   Link #215
Olf-chan

I hear GS are very biased against Nintendo. Especially this Jeff guy who made the review. Don't know how much of this is true though.
Olf-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 22:32   Link #216
Papaya
Sup

I'm afraid to read that review. But it's what I expected.
Old 2006-11-17, 22:35   Link #217
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olf-chan View Post
I hear GS are very biased against Nintendo. Especially this Jeff guy who made the review. Don't know how much of this is true though.
Not too sure about this myself, but I have realized that almost all PS3-related stories are spun negatively on GS.

I do know for certain they tend to be biased against PC.

I trust Gametrailers.com for my game reviews, despite that they really don't review many games.
Old 2006-11-17, 22:55   Link #218
Lebron
I hear voices

http://gstp.ytmnd.com/
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-17, 23:11   Link #219
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olf-chan View Post

Yeah, that Jeff guy is notorious for rating highly acclaimed games lower than the average. In the gaming community, essentially nobody likes him (as in, people browsing the web a lot, I mean). I don't care about his review. Actually, I stopped taking his reviews seriously a few years ago. But anywho, a lot of game sites have been giving great reviews, in contrast. Gamespy gave it a perfect score (5/5), 1up.com did, as well (10/10), Game Informer gave it two perfect 10s, and IGN gave it a 9.5 and praised many aspects of the game. A lot of big review sites are giving it much acclaim, and all that I've seen so far say the Wii version is best, and that the controls are worked in well and that the Wii controls are the best the series has seen yet.

I bet you that Jeff (from GS) has his mailbox filled with hate mail by now, too.
Old 2006-11-17, 23:12   Link #220
Papaya
Sup

Jeff only gives angry reviews because he is fat.

They should've let Greg review it.

Tags
console, wii