AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-09-19, 14:00   Link #3581
Ryus
The One Eyed King

I'd argue that Gray is more fodder level than Lucy, or at the very least Lucy is approaching Gray's level of power and has far more potential than he does. As demonstrated by her ability to summon all her keys at once (anime only... in the manga she summoned all her golden keys and only some of her silver ones)when she argued with Spirit King and later with Uranometria when Hibiki gave her the ability to temporally use it... It was a mini Fairy Law (at least in that it used light to attack it's target). Remember the more keys she summons the more magic she has and the more powerful each spirit gets in turn... her power grows exponentially it just now only starting to be noticeable IMHO and will eventual ellipse most of the characters in the anime (once again IMHO).

The only real difference in the power is Gray's bodies conditioning and martial arts skills is far superior while power level wise Lucy seem stronger to me. IMHO she is worthy of being considered a worthy partner in the trails.

Lets look at it like this, Lucy used to struggle with summoning 1 spirit at a time now she can easily summon 4 in one battle based on Edolas (Aquarius, Taurus, Virgo, Loki) and now also has Fleuve d'étoiles (her water spirit whip). Gray on the other hand has remained static and lasted just about as long as Lucy did in the Edolas fights even with his superior skills... they both did about an equal amount too plot wise.
Old 2011-09-19, 14:17   Link #3582
immblueversion

You could say that Lucy is incredibly crafty, and often finds her opponents' weak points with relative ease. If not her, then one of her spirits or someone else will.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 14:33   Link #3583
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
You could say that Lucy is incredibly crafty, and often finds her opponents' weak points with relative ease. If not her, then one of her spirits or someone else will.
Well, she was supposedly named after the word "lucky"
Old 2011-09-19, 15:19   Link #3584
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Her summons are garbage.

-A useless drill nose wobbly thing
-A pervert cow that always gets knocked out
-A mermaid thats a total bitch and hasn't done anything useful
-A barber... er... enough said
-A maid that drills holes and makes clothes
-Oh and Loki, possibly the only one that can actually fight

I won't get into the manga summons, but yeah how is she useful again?
-A horseman with good archery skills
-A chick that controls...wool
-Twins that can turn into anyone, copy their magic and power
-A scorpion dude that can control sand
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 15:20   Link #3585
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ And a lyrical spirit that sings and is a portable magical library!...and that father time dude, and the awesomeness that is horologium
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 15:27   Link #3586
Ryus
The One Eyed King

^ and a water whip, and magical glasses that let her read faster...

Plus lets not forget that she could potentially summon Aquarius in that water whip now whenever without having to find water to summon her in (I wonder how pissed she be about being summoned in a whip... better than a toilet I suppose )
Old 2011-09-19, 15:49   Link #3587
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
-A horseman with good archery skills -has yet to be useful
-Twins that can turn into anyone, copy their magic and power -lasts only 5mins, its more of a novelty than anything else. it was created purely to increase Lucy's fanservice.
-A scorpion dude that can control sand -also, haven't done anything useful.
Lucy is a fanservice character she isn't meant to be taken seriously as a combat character.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 15:59   Link #3588
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Lucy has shown to us more then once that she's not just a fanservice character. These events have happened a number of times in the anime and manga. Personally i don't see why you're so fixed on the idea that Lucy isn't anything but what you're staying. It makes no sense.
Old 2011-09-19, 16:08   Link #3589
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Lucy is a fanservice character she isn't meant to be taken seriously as a combat character.
I was merely posting the rest of the golden keys you missed.
However it's pretty clear that you only see Lucy as a fanservice character and will look for flaw in anyone else's judgment.
I'm done here.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 21:31   Link #3590
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Lucy has shown to us more then once that she's not just a fanservice character. These events have happened a number of times in the anime and manga. Personally i don't see why you're so fixed on the idea that Lucy isn't anything but what you're staying. It makes no sense.
I don't deny that she's important to the story since she is technically the lead female, but I calls it how I see's it when it comes to combat strength. Even her friends know it, it's why it's a running gag.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 22:30   Link #3591
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
...but I calls it how I see's it when it comes to combat strength. Even her friends know it, it's why it's a running gag.

Are we reading the same manga? If anything the inverse is true... They've never called her weak and Erza herself has trusted Lucy with dangerous tasks, Natsu also said he was pretty sure Lucy was strong after she defeated Bixlow back in Fighting Festival arc (Gajeels shocked reaction to her win was more likely based on how easily he defeated her before not realizing her magic was dependent on keys which she didn't have with her at the time (and the bunny costume )). The thing they've been most critical with her about is actually having confidence in herself. Yes, they had to talk firmly or encourangly with her before to get her to act and yes, she works best in a team but she has also shown lots of potential at fighting alone too... she defeated Byro by herself... sure he was KOed by Natsu but only after Lucy soundly defeated him by turning his ability in on itself and he was helpless and taken by surprise with the attack to the skull. Lets not forget lasting just as long as Gray and Loki against the army. The girl has a fire inside of her, though most of the time it just appears to be smoke due to her lack of confidence in herself

The gag is that she can do it but doesn't try since she's very humorously too scared to fight however every time she turns around and fights she pulls out a win... she's the member of a guild which prides itself on being selfsufficient but is just too scared most of the time to be by herself (though she can in most cases). While this may seem like a weakness it's actually the strongest advantage of "The Strongest Team" she's the member that emotionally ties the group together and brings forth the Nakama power of everyone. Without her they'd just be fighting who's the strongest among themselves all the time.

She and Wendy are the new kids in the group... so you can't say by acting differently and being treated differently that it's proof of her weakness.

Yes, Erza knows that she isn't as strong as her but she sees potential in her. Every arc she's gotten a slightly larger role... one could only suspect the same trend will continue throughout the series. She is after all the protagonist of the series.

True, she wasn't boss defeating material as of yet but she's done her share and taken on larger and larger roles while keeping her charm. She's the only character in the series besides Natsu whom has clearly gotten stronger every arc (can't comment on Wendy since in OS she didn't really try and Edolas she did, so no proof of rising power is clear yet). She's somewhat overlooked since she has yet to fight a boss by herself and in comparison with all of Natsu's powerups just get's out shinned but overall that doesn't matter since she's above a clear fodder level and her power growth has never been outpaced by the series progressively stronger opponents they meet each arc (she's at least stayed constant to there power difference if not narrowed the gap each time. In most cases she has taken on more and more direct action per arc). Ages ago she couldn't defeat a Vulcan even with her strongest key but after her defeat of Byro I'd wager she could easily defeat one using only her whip Fleuve d'étoiles and still be more than able to continue through the arc more or less unhindered and worse for wear.
Old 2011-09-20, 00:32   Link #3592
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I don't deny that she's important to the story since she is technically the lead female, but I calls it how I see's it when it comes to combat strength.
I'll just say, she's had more power-ups than any other character, and may be linked to the dragon story almost as much as Natsu, so my opinion of her is that of a strong protagonist, along with Natsu.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 00:34   Link #3593
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Personally think Lucy deserves plenty of credit. She manages being a main source of fanservice and a pretty strong character in her own right. Sure she's not at the elites, but look how much her skills have grown in just 6 months. We're putting her up against people who have been in the guild for years and yet she's right there with them. She's not taking the S-Class exam, but she's more than just a rookie in the guild now. The more summons she picks up anyways the greater the variety in how she can fight and being able to counter more and more kinds of opponents. Plus that new whip she got lets her be a strong force without having to just constantly summon spirits to help her. Personally I think Cana has a good partner going with her. Lucy will go all out when it comes to her friends and the guild. Besides even though Loke won't be able to help her out she's still got a good variety of spirits to rely on in support.

Maybe early on some of her opponents were hardly anything to worry about. But she's moved up being able to stand up against someone like Bickslow who Freed has enough faith in to team up with. A lot of Lucy's strength and best moments come from her heart and with Cana that down she needs someone like that to bring her right back up.

This should be one crazy arc though. Poor Elfman though.....most uncomfortable partnership for him possible. Lot of interesting teams will be getting into this and of course we have that mysterious guy who is going to be right in the middle of this.
Old 2011-09-20, 03:46   Link #3594
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
However it's pretty clear that you only see Lucy as a fanservice character and will look for flaw in anyone else's judgment.
I'm done here.
Randrak42 sums it up perfectly. It's pointless to just carry this on. It's going nowhere.
Old 2011-09-21, 23:28   Link #3595
DeadBonesDooM

Who cares about Lucy
Its all about Happy :wub:
Old 2011-09-22, 07:01   Link #3596
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Her summons are garbage.

-A useless drill nose wobbly thing
-A pervert cow that always gets knocked out
-A mermaid thats a total bitch and hasn't done anything useful
-A barber... er... enough said
-A maid that drills holes and makes clothes
-Oh and Loki, possibly the only one that can actually fight
-A horseman with good archery skills -has yet to be useful
-Twins that can turn into anyone, copy their magic and power -lasts only 5mins, its more of a novelty than anything else. it was created purely to increase Lucy's fanservice.
-A scorpion dude that can control sand -also, haven't done anything useful.

Plue: Granted. He was even stated as such, he's not a combat summon.
Taurus: Has saved their lives several times, despite getting tossed around. Responsible for taking down Lucy's part of Nirvana. Also good at taking down mooks.
Aquarius: Was critical in bringing the ship to shore in the first fight, defeated Sherry and Vidaldus.
Virgo: Critical in getting out of Erigor's prison, and helping Lucy defeat Byro.
Cancer: Defeated Everlue. Also good at downing mooks.
Sagitarius: Without him, Natsu would have lost against Gajeel. How's that for useful? Also responsible for freeing Natsu in the Daphne arc.
Loke: Took down Bickslow, future endeavors are spoilers but do exist.
Aries: Mook killer, despite not even being a combat spirit.
Scorpio: Mook killer.
Gemini: Saved Lucy during Nirvana

And that's not even counting her accomplishments without her spirits. Forming a supposedly extremely hard unison raid with someone she barely knows, casting a spell Hibiki thought only she could cast, taking down Byro with little more than a magical whip, those are major achievements you're just brushing aside here.

Yes, if you compare her to Natsu she doesn't have nearly as many evil boss kills. But then, nobody compares to Natsu in that regard. Only Erza gets anywhere near. To say that she's not meant to be taken seriously as a combat character even though she experiences major character growth in nearly every fight she's involved in is just plain false.

Oh, and before you cry fanservice again, let us not forget that Erza is just as committed as Lucy to provide gracious fanservice. The amount of fanservice a character provides has no relation to their usefulness in combat.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 09:45   Link #3597
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

All of the characters have their own parts to play, when the time is right. Fanservice or not, they somehow contribute to the story in their own ways. And if any of them is taken out of FT, i doubt it would ever be the same, nor would it be better.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 04:28   Link #3598
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Lucy was only able to use that spell because of the archive magic from that dude, though. Makes me wonder if the information is still within her, and she can use it at later time tho. I hope she can, cause I really liked that magic (frankly, I think her summons are really lame except for Loki) and she needs more badass magic like this.

Just think about what is going to happen in the S rank trials and how will Lucy fare there with the pathetic summons of hers. She's gonna get owned for sure.
Old 2011-09-23, 07:12   Link #3599
FuMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Lucy was only able to use that spell because of the archive magic from that dude, though. Makes me wonder if the information is still within her, and she can use it at later time tho. I hope she can, cause I really liked that magic (frankly, I think her summons are really lame except for Loki) and she needs more badass magic like this.

Just think about what is going to happen in the S rank trials and how will Lucy fare there with the pathetic summons of hers. She's gonna get owned for sure.
Can't wait seeing the couple - Freed , Blickshow ! It must be awesome , hope Freed will become S grade! I dont want neither natsu nor gray to become S class , prefer them A grade class mages
FuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 07:24   Link #3600
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I doubt anyone will make it.. This is just my speculation, but when you look at the Carla's prediction, it might be realistic to assume that the test will be canceled and no one will make it to the S rank this year.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen