AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-15, 19:09   Link #21
Shay
Monarch Programmer

JUST WALK IT OFF, PUSSY!

No seriously, exercise has been proven to be as effective in fighting mild depression as Prozac. And it's thought to be effective at keeping depression at bay in the first place aswell.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 22:35   Link #22
sa547
*Author

Been all through that once, until I realized that being in the dumps could lower body resistance, so it's necessary to be a bit more optimistic no matter how bad things become all around -- it's an important matter of fighting for survival. Better try to get hold of one's self, face the music, and there's no turning back.
Old 2009-02-15, 23:43   Link #23
oompa loompa

ughh i know what this is. i'm just over-thinking things thats all. do i still like anime? i keep asking myself this, and it obviously doesnt let me enjoy it. because i fear i wont enjoy it i'm not watching any new shows, instead watching old ones. since i'm watching old ones, and know whats going to happen, i dont find it as good as i did the first time, so i question myself about it. infact its not even that i dont, i just keep thinking while im watching. i just need... some sort of rationale, or something that i can do to take my mind off this or fix it. thats what i really created this thread for, any suggestions? to clear things up, no this is not the biggest thing in my life, i have sports, friends, music, etc. and i do plenty of them. but it irritates me, because the thought that i dont like anime anymore all of a sudden is just depressing. the whole thing is silly i know, but im trying to find a way to get out of this. so, once again, any experiences or suggestions to share?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 01:14   Link #24
sa547
*Author

It's all right to try to take a little break and relax once in a while, being away from anime as it's not going to disappear. Honestly, there's a lot more to life than just watching anime: apart from that (and for the sake of a balanced life), I also read, write (mostly on the blog), listen to music, and of course, talk to and get along with people -- people who are close and truly understand you are the only psychological help support you can have.

Yes, it's also better to let go, and don't worry much on the smallest and trivial things.
Old 2009-02-16, 01:36   Link #25
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
It's all right to try to take a little break and relax once in a while, being away from anime as it's not going to disappear. Honestly, there's a lot more to life than just watching anime: apart from that (and for the sake of a balanced life), I also read, write (mostly on the blog), listen to music, and of course, talk to and get along with people -- people who are close and truly understand you are the only psychological help support you can have.

Yes, it's also better to let go, and don't worry much on the smallest and trivial things.
yeah i figure the same thing, its not like i dont know there isnt a lot more to life. if anime is depressing me for whatever reason i guess i should take a break till im fine again. the thought that i wont like it after im done is a little scary though.. but if its something enough to depress me... i figure i havnt really lost interest in it
Old 2009-02-16, 01:57   Link #26
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
yeah i figure the same thing, its not like i dont know there isnt a lot more to life. if anime is depressing me for whatever reason i guess i should take a break till im fine again. the thought that i wont like it after im done is a little scary though.. but if its something enough to depress me... i figure i havnt really lost interest in it
Don't worry about losing interest in anime. I used to think there was something incredibly, horribly, irreversibly wrong when I nearly completely lost interest in anime a few months ago - it's been my biggest hobby for years and I never imagined I'd lose interest in it - but I realised that I felt a lot better when I thought I wasn't losing anything in the first place. Worry about what you lose, and you lose even more. Eventually I've come back to watching it every now and then, because I decided not to fixate on it

Forcing yourself to keep thinking you have to hold onto an interest is detrimental: just let things go naturally, you will find you'll like anime more than before when you come back... Otherwise I'd wager you'd find it even less enjoyable than before, and then that would be somewhat regretful.

Anime's not going to run away from you or anything, taking a break honestly won't hurt. Personally I got into 70's music and found that it was pretty good learning about all this other stuff I didn't think I'd care for before. Now I have more avenues to enjoy myself.

Well, that's just me of course.
Old 2009-02-16, 02:14   Link #27
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Don't worry about losing interest in anime. I used to think there was something incredibly, horribly, irreversibly wrong when I nearly completely lost interest in anime a few months ago - it's been my biggest hobby for years and I never imagined I'd lose interest in it - but I realised that I felt a lot better when I thought I wasn't losing anything in the first place. Worry about what you lose, and you lose even more. Eventually I've come back to watching it every now and then, because I decided not to fixate on it
thats the sad part - i know i havnt lost interest, its just that i over think. oh well, when im better, ill come back to it, and i know ill love it just the same.
Old 2009-02-16, 06:22   Link #28
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Ahh.. it was great to get that off my shoulders. Its one thing to talk to people about it, and its a whole other to write about it - another irrational thing, talking about it, which ive only been able to do recently helps, every time i do it.
That's why so many turn to psychiatrist these days and regularly though i rather turn to the cheaper alternative of friends and hell, sometimes strangers to get the load off my shoulder.

Losing interest in a hobby? Dont worry bout it. You're probably bored of it. I get bored of animes quite often especially when the season didn't have anything that catch my interest. That goes with other stuff like games, mmo, drinking, going out and etc. There many little things to turn to.

Recently i started collecting cute little plush toys after breaking up with my gf, embaressing at the counter but nonetheless, it's something to take my mind off reality for a minute.
Old 2009-02-16, 06:35   Link #29
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
JUST WALK IT OFF, PUSSY!

No seriously, exercise has been proven to be as effective in fighting mild depression as Prozac. And it's thought to be effective at keeping depression at bay in the first place aswell.
Please explain why certain sportsmen/women still suffer from depression.

It is all about winning and losing, and fighting spirit. Depression eats the person from inside out, and it manifests on negative emotions like a parasite. Learning to laugh at everything and everyone else in life proves to be a much better cure.

Yes, even at insensitive, sexist, racist, extremely biased jokes. It is the laugh that counts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 07:33   Link #30
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Please explain why certain sportsmen/women still suffer from depression.

It is all about winning and losing, and fighting spirit. Depression eats the person from inside out, and it manifests on negative emotions like a parasite. Learning to laugh at everything and everyone else in life proves to be a much better cure.

Yes, even at insensitive, sexist, racist, extremely biased jokes. It is the laugh that counts.
Can't argue with that. Laughing can cure almost anything. Except herpes, nothing gets rid of herpes.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 19:54   Link #31
oompa loompa

ugh.. i hate to ask this.. i really do.. but any more experiences to share regarding breaks from anime?
Old 2009-02-16, 20:33   Link #32
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I've never gone cold turkey from anime for more than a few days, but I have felt burned out on anime before - usually the result of watching too much or trying to make myself watch shows I only sort of liked. In those cases, I simply stopped watching anything I wasn't really, really into for a couple weeks.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 21:09   Link #33
LeoXiao
思想工作

I run out of anime quite often, since I can't stand about 95% of it and therefore am always looking for new series/movies that I might find good. At one point this behavior became somewhat irrational (I kept looking even after I had found I few I liked), but ultimately my solution was to start the drawing of my own manga. I figure that such a task will help me develop drawing skills and keep me preoccupied with something creative while I wait for new anime to be released.

tl:dr: Doing other things to have fun is good if you run out anime.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 21:23   Link #34
oompa loompa

i havnt run out of it.. far from it.. the reason i'm not happy about taking a break is because as far as im concerened theres a ton of great animes i still have to watch.. but right now, after coming through depression.. everything seems a little dull... i hope thats normal.
Old 2009-02-16, 23:24   Link #35
Xvoki

Quote:
i havnt run out of it.. far from it.. the reason i'm not happy about taking a break is because as far as im concerened theres a ton of great animes i still have to watch.. but right now, after coming through depression.. everything seems a little dull... i hope thats normal.
Do you "really" care about losing interest in anime. It nots that imortant. Maybe you should join the army and go serve in Iraq as I did, you'll soon discover the little things arn't worth a shit. There's a lot more to life than anime. ^^
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-16, 23:37   Link #36
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well,you're 18, you are bound to have an iPod,iRiver,mp3 player or whatnot, pack it up with music you find most relaxing and take a walk outside. I think walking is seriously underestimated, I once spent 5 hours of pointlessly going towards a direction and finding my way back, it was like I left my problems on the road.
If you're well off you could do some shopping therapy, go for a cup of coffee with your friends, read books and avoid "fun" parks~
Quote:
Maybe you should join the army and go serve in Iraq as I did, you'll soon discover the little things arn't worth a shit.
I think the army would be a bad influence on his mental state, too much intended pressure can even lead to coma.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 00:12   Link #37
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Well,you're 18, you are bound to have an iPod,iRiver,mp3 player or whatnot, pack it up with music you find most relaxing and take a walk outside. I think walking is seriously underestimated, I once spent 5 hours of pointlessly going towards a direction and finding my way back, it was like I left my problems on the road.
If you're well off you could do some shopping therapy, go for a cup of coffee with your friends, read books and avoid "fun" parks~
i agree about walking, it does wonders. i know, this is just.. a kind of nagging worry - and im trying to find the best solution to it. i have done most of what you mentioned above . this is important to me, but by no means not the most important. its been startling though, as it happened completely spontaneously - i guess that contributes to it being worrisome. i suppose ill just have to do this the hard way - by learning not to worry lol
Old 2009-02-17, 05:32   Link #38
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Am I the only one who already thinks that going into a depression over anime is quite disturbing o.o;
A break might actually do you good, or at leased a cut back to watching only a certain amount of shows instead of God knows how many you watch, which makes me wonder how much do you normally watch in a week before you got this depression?
The fear of thinking you might not enjoy a show could be caused by the fact that you watch it too much, like it doesn't feel like something special any more but just something that is part of routine which can lead to you not enjoying anime any more because you've been doing it daily and because you find no satisfaction in doing so you've become depressed, I of course am no psychologist but a situation like that I can understand. I don't know how much anime you watch but my guess right now is that it must be a lot because you've mentioned that it plays a large part and that it really bothers you. You wouldn't be the only one having a break though, I tend to push back my viewing hours outside the holidays and only then watch some completed series of the last airing season, summer is always a break time for me but that is mostly because nothing good airs then
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 05:35   Link #39
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I think the army would be a bad influence on his mental state, too much intended pressure can even lead to coma.
Don't think so. I think it just taught me alot of things. And army is compulsory here. The first 3 months of hell will knock more than enough sense into a person's head.

There are 2 causes of depression, soft and hard. Soft life is just like culturing a grudge mentality, then when someone refuses to give something, the life contracts depression. Hard is just the opposite, doing all the shit until one gets sick of it can tries to commit suicide.

Either way the military helps to an extent, helping the person increase his tolerance for stress, or knocking the grudge mentality out of the person's head.

Or like one of my ex-instructors say, "Those *expletive* outside claim that we *expletive* waste our time serving this *expletive* useless nation. Let me tell you *expletive* ladyboys, if we don't serve, we would have been overrun by those *expletive* losers from the neighbouring countries, and your mother, sister and girlfriend are going to offer their holes and our backsides for them to *expletive*! You think you still can have your IPod, PSP and computer?"

Freedom comes at a price, and those guys in the military and national security already paid for 99% of it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 10:54   Link #40
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Army is mandatory here too, 12 months reduced to 9 if I'm lucky...
Quote:
Let me tell you *expletive* ladyboys, if we don't serve, we would have been overrun by those *expletive* losers from the neighbouring countries, and your mother, sister and girlfriend are going to offer their holes and our backsides for them to *expletive*! You think you still can have your IPod, PSP and computer?"
It's that kind of mentality that starts wars to begin with, vicious thoughts that spawn vicious circles.Living in a considerably new country I believe my ancestors have shed enough blood and lived 4 centuries in slavery so that we can be free...but anyway,back to the topic!
Quote:
Am I the only one who already thinks that going into a depression over anime is quite disturbing o.o;
A break might actually do you good, or at leased a cut back to watching only a certain amount of shows instead of God knows how many you watch, which makes me wonder how much do you normally watch in a week before you got this depression?
Setting a limit on how many hours you watch is a very good start, focusing on the outside life also helps change your opinion on the importance of anime (when I first started watching I was totally hooked at 30+ episodes a day, now it's down to 3 tops) and if you ever worry about something...
Quote:
remember, you always got your invincible phrase: "everything will be just fine"
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, sad