AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-12, 00:35   Link #941
August138

Precisely.

Thanks, snowdog03, but I do translations through my personal knowledge and experience; but, if I become stuck, I rely on my library of kanji dictionaries. If something is especially problematic, I confere with other translators and linguists, and go from there. Online translation engines are often... Odd.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-08-12 at 01:07. Reason: Please use the 'edit' button and refrain from double posting.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 00:53   Link #942
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sometimes your enemies have family that wish them well even if you are fighing for your home. They might be fighting for theirs.

Schultz's daughter seeing her father off at Gamilas.
I doubt he'll return home, but this would be the correct reaction for that as well.

Can Gamilas have a blue sky with clouds over the holes cut into the planet?

(Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29318316)

This artist seems to really like this character and has done up a whole mess of short red colored comics the feature her and other Yamato 2199 crew members. I have a hard time figuring them out because they are rather small on my screen, and I can't always figure our what the correct order is for the comic. (an example can be found here: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29246142)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-12 at 01:13.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 00:55   Link #943
Cyprene

Quote:
Thanks, snowdog03, but I do translations through my personal knowledge and experience; but, if I become stuck, I rely on my library of kanji dictionaries. If something is especially problematic, I confere with other translators and linguists, and go from there. Online translation engines are often... Odd.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for?
Ironically enough, the dictionary he used is the one I used to translate Yamato. (Though I use a mirror)

The process used was the same one I use when I encounter an unknown word in any show:

1.) Is it in e-dict?
2.) Does the e-dict definition make sense, or seem to fit?
3.) If it does, great. If not, depending on my mood, either go to ALC or Goo Sometimes both.
4.) If that doesn't work, (And many times for in Yamato, it didn't. Lots of 70s technobabble in that thing.) go plug it into wikipedia or google until you figure it out.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 01:02   Link #944
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is also, instead of technobabble, nautical terms.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:19   Link #945
Cyprene

Those too. I have a fairly detailed glossary that I keep, and that I submit to Production I.G. after each batch.
Old 2012-08-12, 02:12   Link #946
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Sometimes your enemies have family that wish them well even if you are fighing for your home. They might be fighting for theirs.

Schultz's daughter seeing her father off at Gamilas.
I doubt he'll return home, but this would be the correct reaction for that as well.

Can Gamilas have a blue sky with clouds over the holes cut into the planet?

(Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29318316)

This artist seems to really like this character and has done up a whole mess of short red colored comics the feature her and other Yamato 2199 crew members. I have a hard time figuring them out because they are rather small on my screen, and I can't always figure our what the correct order is for the comic. (an example can be found here: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29246142)
Schultz's daughter as a cosplayer and scale-model ship builder? What is this I dun even...

I demand she gets a name or else I shall Wave Motion Gun something into oblivion!

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 02:43   Link #947
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She has a name: Hilde Shultz voiced by Ayano Miura (who hasn't done much in acting that I am aware).
Old 2012-08-12, 03:03   Link #948
macdawson

As for the blue skies, those might be because she and her father are not from Gamilas but from Zalts.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 03:08   Link #949
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
She has a name: Hilde Shultz voiced by Ayano Miura (who hasn't done much in acting that I am aware).
Good, my wrath has been sated for now. Hilde is such an uncommon anime name (the only other one I remember is from Gundam Wing), so at least hers is semi-unique in that regard.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 03:20   Link #950
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
As for the blue skies, those might be because she and her father are not from Gamilas but from Zalts.
Maybe, but that big blue planet...the edges of the upper crust...sort of point to this being Gamilas. Of course we've never seen Zalts. It could have been formed to look like Gamilas as well (though the double planet or really big blue moon would be rather a large coincidence )

If it is Gamilas...it looks sort of awesome with blue sky and clouds.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:23   Link #951
August138

Cyprene: In my translations, which I have done for JN Productions, BCI/Eclipse, and Shout! Factory, I'm generally very familiar or completely intimate with the series/movie question. So, I usually don't have trouble with the nonmenclature -- I've been reading Japanese since I was in Junior High -- but sometimes, you come across katakana renderings which make you scratch your head. But, when you get it, it's a nice ephiphany.

Lowegear: As for "Hilde", there was a "Hilda" in HOLS: PRINCE OF THE SUN (1968).

Snowdog03: Here you go...

01. THE MESSENGER FROM ISCANDAR [イスカンダルの使者] (Isukandaru-no Shisha): A literal translation would be "The Messenger of Iscandar".
02. WE'RE OFF INTO THE SEA OF STARS [我が赴くは星の海原] (Waga Muku-wa Hoshi-no Unabara): A play on the "Star Blazers" lyrics, "We're Off to Outer Space".
03. ESCAPE FROM JUPITER [木星圏脱出] (Mokusei-ken Dasshutsu): Can be translated as "Jupiter Area/Zone/System"; but I felt it too cumbersome and dropped it.
04. TOMBSTONE OF ICE [氷原の墓標] (Hyogen-no Bohyo): Can be translated as "Tombstone on an Icefield"; but I felt this was more poetic.
05. THE INESCAPABLE TRAP [死角なき罠] (Shikaku-naki Wana): Can be translated as "Trap Without a Blind Spot"; this is more evocative and keeps in the flavor of the original.
06. HADES' TWILIGHT [冥王の落日] (Meio-no Rakujitsu): While "冥王" (Meio) is "Pluto" ("King of the Underworld"), "冥王星" (Meiosei) is specific to the celestial body (Star of Pluto); to differentiate this, I used the original Greek name for the God of the Underworld, "Hades". "落日" (Rakujitsu) is literally, "Sunset" or "Sundown", but I felt that "Twilight" was more in keeping with the meaning of the title — the death of Gamilas base on Pluto — hence "Hades' Twilight".
07. BID FAREWELL TO THE SOLAR SYSTEM [太陽圏に別れを告げて] (Taiyoken-ni Wakare-o Sugete): This may be a play on the title of the famous Southern All Stars' song 「夕陽に別れを告げて」(Say Farewell to the Setting Sun) from their hit 1985 album, Kamakura.
08. WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR [星に願いを] (Hoshi-no Negai-o): This is a no brainer; it's taken from the featured song heard in Walt Disney's PINOCCHIO (1940).
09. A CLOCKWORK PRISONER [時計仕掛けの虜囚] (Tokei Jikakei-no Ryoshu): A take on the Japanese title of Anthony Burgess's 1962 novel A Clockwork Orange.
10. THE COSMIC GRAVEYARD [大宇宙の墓場] (Daiuchu-no Hakaba): or the "Graveyard of the Cosmos"; pretty straight forward.

Last edited by August138; 2012-08-13 at 13:28.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 00:36   Link #952
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Just started watching this show and no surprise it's right up my alley and hits all the right buttons. Looking at the staff list and looking at the show it almost feels an anti Guilty Crown. You've got an assortment of incredibly experienced staffers with long and storied resumes in Sci-Fi animation throughout the years, you've got I.G on animation, Sunrise D.I.D on CGI (thank you a thousand times mister producer for not choosing Satelight) and the result is an obvious labor of love and tribute to the sadly mostly bygone eras of Space Opera and just plain manly men being heroic manly men.

God bless all the people that went into making this possible, I very much think I'm going to enjoy it. My faith in the idea of the dream team may very well have been restored here.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 15:31   Link #953
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I find this set of pictures (eight in total) potentally interesting. Though I am not entirely sure what it is all about.

Seems to be a lot of character descriptions, though I could be way off.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29339221

EDIT:
Something I missed in my pixiv runs

A possible future looks for Akira Yamamoto

(Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29183573)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-13 at 22:53. Reason: Yamamoto picture
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 22:42   Link #954
August138

Dr. Kaoru Niimi creates Gigantor AU-09 to defeat the Gamilas Robot invaders!

誰のためでもいいじゃないか | 手前屋鬱郎 [pixiv] http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=26394484
Old 2012-08-13, 23:40   Link #955
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
EDIT:
Something I missed in my pixiv runs

A possible future looks for Akira Yamamoto

(Source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=29183573)
So in the future Rei is going to grow....Allot of hair?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 01:44   Link #956
Cyprene

And lose an eye too, it looks like.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:18   Link #957
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She had hair like that before she joined Yamato's crew. She cut it after learning she was in "accounting" rather than the fighter squadron.
The male version of Yamamoto had hair over one of his eye's as well.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:32   Link #958
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
She had hair like that before she joined Yamato's crew. She cut it after learning she was in "accounting" rather than the fighter squadron.
The male version of Yamamoto had hair over one of his eye's as well.
Just you wait until they realize that without Yamamoto handling ship logistics, nobody knows where anything needs to go?
Old 2012-08-14, 15:57   Link #959
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm sure Hirata's got it covered. (If this was Star Blazers they would have had two Hardy's in the department until "Jefferson" got her transfere to the Black Tigers. One would assume if they dubbed using the old names, they'd find a female name for this character that can be read two different ways. Mind you that most of the supporting cast didn't get first names in the English dub of the show (until much later)).
Old 2012-08-14, 18:49   Link #960
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I'm sure Hirata's got it covered. (If this was Star Blazers they would have had two Hardy's in the department until "Jefferson" got her transfere to the Black Tigers. One would assume if they dubbed using the old names, they'd find a female name for this character that can be read two different ways. Mind you that most of the supporting cast didn't get first names in the English dub of the show (until much later)).
The sad thing is that Rei had just thought up a way to rework the food processing system so that you WOULDN'T have to avoid asking questions about what the food was made of

The mutiny over when that was discovered left over a hundred people dead!

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato