Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-10-04, 06:05   Link #501
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
didn't some people also test a plate armor vest with archers equipped with the English longbow firing arrows that had the most deadly AP arrowhead design (I think it was taken from all 3 crusades, the French and their crossbow bolt head design, and this weird-ass design that was simple a long spike instead of an arrowhead)? one thing I lol'd about Agincourt was, yes, the muddy terrain. to add, I think it was during the crusades that arrow hails and medium range skirmishes were rampant since Saladin was frequently employing them.

The tests concluded that unless it's fired from point-blank range, longbow arrows had no effect on plate armour in general after 1350 unless it's a bodkin arrow. And even using this type of arrow, the actual wound on the wearer of the armour is negligible--the armour absorbed most of the damage already.This is why after 1350, archers switched from shooting the knights to shooting their horses. But even then, not everyone wears plate armour. You had to be extremely wealthy to wear plate armour, and there's no way your normal levy can wear that.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 07:42   Link #502
ZeKeR
Superbad

wait... aren't bodkin arrows.... expensive by the day?
Old 2012-10-04, 07:48   Link #503
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
wait... aren't bodkin arrows.... expensive by the day?
So? What are you trying to imply?Just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean it's effective--it's like how battleships were expensive to build and maintain during the Second World War, but actually obsolete against aircraft.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 14:42   Link #504
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
Like I said before, it was dropped after 2 volumes by original translator. She personally thought there was too much "skin" and fan service. Of course, for the people have stuck with it, you would know that the series starts getting good in volume 3 and then gets amazing in volume 4/5. Volume 1 and 2 were there to introduce the world and set up the meat of the arc.
Yes volume 3 was excellent, We all love Roland, such a guy!
Old 2012-10-04, 21:25   Link #505
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I was wondering why a female translator translated this "twilight for guys" LN in the first place.
Really? It didn't feel like that to me OO
Old 2012-10-04, 21:43   Link #506
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Can't wait for Volume 6.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-10-05 at 08:00.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 22:36   Link #507
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
So? What are you trying to imply?Just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean it's effective--it's like how battleships were expensive to build and maintain during the Second World War, but actually obsolete against aircraft.

no... I was asking if it was that expensive arrow that was fitted with various arrowheads, ranging from the small point for hunting and the big AP point for the archery. no need to be mad

Last edited by ZeKeR; 2012-10-04 at 23:02.
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 03:13   Link #508
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Like you can't call this a. Twilight for guys without giving a valid argument or evidence that this is similar to twilight in any way,now if you were to give some reasons thats able to
convince me to why you think this is like twilight I might agree with you
Old 2012-10-05, 05:57   Link #509
Insane
Banned

My apologize. I've deleted that nonsense post. Apparently i was still sleepy when typed those lines.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 13:18   Link #510
HasNoLove
GiveMeMoreLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane View Post
florza dropped this series after translating 1 chapter, of course cannot be approved into full-fledged project. Not to mention that this series don't get spotlight very much such as, say campione or dxd, probably we'll need an anime to boost interest of this series.
whut..?? Noo..!!:t_t:
Old 2012-10-05, 17:49   Link #511
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasNoLove View Post
whut..?? Noo..!!:t_t:
Worry not. I suggest you to take a look at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/forums/vie...hp?f=15&t=5468 , where EnigmaticAxiom had translated full vol 1 (Even though it was translated using machine translation, but the result is quite good)
Old 2012-10-05, 20:59   Link #512
HasNoLove
GiveMeMoreLove

Quote:
Worry not. I suggest you to take a look at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/forums/vie...hp?f=15&t=5468 , where EnigmaticAxiom had translated full vol 1 (Even though it was translated using machine translation, but the result is quite good)
ohh... was that was gud then.. cuz the novel in the hand of experinced people, make me cant wait to read some more.....

P.S. : d'ya know any trans.machin for ubuntu? cuz I might try to read from there as well..
Old 2012-10-05, 22:31   Link #513
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Ah, how the wait for Volume 6 hurts. Wanna buy wanna buy wanna buy it so much once it comes out.

Bit off-topic, but I am enjoying 「千の魔剣と盾の乙女」 (Thousand to Aegis), another work by Kawaguchi Tsukasa, so much right now. The setting feels so much like old school RPG adventuring that it's nostalgic, the dynamic between Amarach, Elicia and Phil is hilarious and at the same time heartwarming, and the details included with the world building are a very nice treat just like in Madan no Ou to Vanadis. Can't wait for Nagi to join the party!
Old 2012-10-06, 00:42   Link #514
chancs

Quote:
He said he has completed through vol 2 ch 01 also
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 00:58   Link #515
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancs View Post
He said he has completed through vol 2 ch 01 also
Huh? I thought he said that he wouldn't work on vol 2 (since most of it was already summarized in detail in Jcafe24), and went straight to Vol 3 (If my memory serves me right).
Old 2012-10-06, 01:08   Link #516
chancs

Quote:
Huh? I thought he said that he wouldn't work on vol 2 (since most of it was already summarized in detail in Jcafe24), and went straight to Vol 3 (If my memory serves me right).
Hu...my mistake

vol 3
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 08:28   Link #517
EnigmaticAxiom

aye aye, volume 3. I decided to take a break, though. I want to read more, but completely unmotivated, so I thought I'd read Parabellum. About 1/3 of the reading. Not sure if it's good or bad.
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 09:29   Link #518
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I think history sucks. That's why fantasy setting works best. Everything hard to explain can be categorized as magic. When the fiction involves politics, it's better to be entirely in the creator's own world with some elements from history, no need to be entirely true. Madan no Ou seems to do just that.

I read Parabellum before, I think it sucks. I regrets wasting time on that series because I love the cover girl. But that's my opinion.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 09:51   Link #519
Insane
Banned

^That's why i didn't love Oda Nobuna. Its history setting merely served as sacred tool to screwed my head.
Old 2012-10-06, 11:52   Link #520
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I feel really repulsive when I think about series like Oda Nobuna no Yabou... or Ikki Tousen. At least they should leave some respects for those historical figures even if they aren't good guys.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen, strategy, true harem, war(s)