Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2003-12-16, 20:27   Link #1
cornzilla
Sixth Hokage

Send a message via AIM to cornzilla
Anime Conventions

What anime conventions have you been to, Ive never been to one and Im going to Fanime 2004 in San Jose, I was just wonder If anyone was goin to be there and what usually goes on in a convention? Also if there were any seasoned veterans if they have any advice as to what to bring and whether I should commute or book a hotel?
cornzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 21:20   Link #2
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Send a message via AIM to anime-otaku Send a message via Yahoo to anime-otaku
The Otakon, you definitely gotta go there.

It's the biggest anime convention in the EAST coast!
anime-otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 21:28   Link #3
DieGottheit

Send a message via AIM to DieGottheit Send a message via MSN to DieGottheit
ive only been to JACON.
its in florida.
small, but its close.
DieGottheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 21:40   Link #4
Jack Zodiac
I was here!

Send a message via AIM to Jack Zodiac
Otakon...

The only good thing about Otakon is the dealer's room. Other than that, everything's spread out and a bitch to walk through. Twenty thousand people, eight viewing rooms. But it was big, yes, and there were more interesting people.

The only other one I go to is Sugoicon, but this next year, I'm going to Ohayacon, too.

I wouldn't mind going to the San Diego Con. That's the dream, man.
Jack Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 00:32   Link #5
Jin
Staked!

Send a message via AIM to Jin
Big Apple Anime Fest in NYC. About 20 minutes away from my place.

I went there for the first time this year and I plan on going next year with my uber cosplay.
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 00:46   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Otakon rocks! The only problem is that it's gotten too big.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 05:32   Link #7
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
No one mentioned Anime Expo in Anahiem. Been there twice and loved it. I also love San Diego's Comic Con because it has become a con for anime too and you can find lots of great stuff there.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 10:31   Link #8
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

i haven't been to one, but living in Canada we get ONE a year, called Anime North, its in May so i plan on going next year...i will post pics of my cosplay ^^
<xellos> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 13:20   Link #9
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

SF Daicon Convention in Osaka - every year since 1985
Comic Market - every summer and winter since 1992 (first at Harumi, then at Makuhari Messe, and now at Ariake)
C-Revo (Ikebukuro Sunshine City)
various seiyuu radio broadcasts
several signing events sponsored by Animate
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 14:30   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
No one mentioned Anime Expo in Anahiem. Been there twice and loved it. I also love San Diego's Comic Con because it has become a con for anime too and you can find lots of great stuff there.
hehe. i went there last year... but the year before last they were in long beach
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 16:51   Link #11
Northern Touch

Theres is more canadian ones than just anime north there is CNAnime and it is twice a year in toronto (where i live) which i havent gone to before but I plan on this year ! If ur canadian for information go to www.hobbystar.com and click on conventions, hope to see you there canadians ! lol
Northern Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 20:45   Link #12
Xiandu

I know that bob, but since Anahiem is it's official home now, there is no need to talk about it being in Long Beach. So you must live close enough to go to it, I live in Carlsbad which is part of San Diego County. Where do you live by?
Old 2003-12-18, 21:28   Link #13
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Anime Boston 2004! \o/
Old 2003-12-19, 22:28   Link #14
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornzilla
What anime conventions have you been to, Ive never been to one and Im going to Fanime 2004 in San Jose, I was just wonder If anyone was goin to be there and what usually goes on in a convention? Also if there were any seasoned veterans if they have any advice as to what to bring and whether I should commute or book a hotel?
I went to Fanime-con 2003...and i will never go to another anime convention for as long as I live...
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 23:38   Link #15
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wah!! None of these are even remotely close to me. Anyone know of any anime convensions near Michigan?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 23:51   Link #16
Xiandu

Might i suggest picking up Newtype Magazine, they have listings for the date and locations of the con across America. Really helpful for the those times of need.
Old 2003-12-20, 02:37   Link #17
cornzilla
Sixth Hokage

Send a message via AIM to cornzilla
hey luckme why wont you ever go to anyother conventions? was it really that bad?
cornzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 10:26   Link #18
Caliban
Dyaus Pitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Touch
Theres is more canadian ones than just anime north there is CNAnime and it is twice a year in toronto (where i live) which i havent gone to before but I plan on this year ! If ur canadian for information go to www.hobbystar.com and click on conventions, hope to see you there canadians ! lol
I've gone to the CNAnime 2003 in August. It's a three day event, also they had a one day event in November and there is another one day event in March, I think!
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 23:13   Link #19
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckme10
I went to Fanime-con 2003...and i will never go to another anime convention for as long as I live...
Aw, what happened? Was that the one in Lancaster, CA in October? I missed that.

I live on the beach in Orange County, so I ALWAYS go to Anime Expo. Awesome, thoroughly awesome. Though I suppose any convention will suck if something awful happens to you there, or if you MAKE something awful happen by having a bad attitude.

I was thinking about hopping a plane to somewhere this year (as well as going to AX), do y'all suggest the Otakon?

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 12:41   Link #20
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

When I lived on the east coast I used to hit a conventions nearly every month, or every other month. Those were the days.

Otakon is worth going to at least once, it's also the convention nearly everyone hits so it's good to go and see people, but the convention itself just isn't as much fun anymore. It's gotten too big. Too many people, not enough room, the lines are all rediculously long.

Ohayo, in January, is a good convention. Lot of fun, at least in past years. I went to the 2nd and third Ohayo, but missed the last two. I'm going again this year to hopefully catch up with some friends.

Katsucon is usually a lot of fun, but the last Katsu I went to showed that it was getting dangerously close to falling into the Otakon trap. The big problem was the hotel, Katsu needed one of the biggest hotels in the area and the one they got just caused all sorts of problems. The hotel staff shut down every single party in the hotel, including those sponsored by the convention itself. I haven't been to the last couple Katsu's, so maybe things have improved.

AnimeCentral isn't all that great, but it's in the midwest, so if you live in the midwest it's probably a lot closer than a lot of other conventions. I'm an artist, so artist's alley is very important to me, and AC has consistently had one of the worst run artist's alleys in the entire convention circuit. A lot of people stopped going to that convention for just that reason. I honestly could only reccomend AC to people near Chicago.

AnimeNorth is a lot of fun, I've only been there once but had a great time. It helps that I really like Toronto.

Anime Weekend Atlanta is excellent. Highly reccomended. Lot of fun. People from Cartoon Network usually show up, like Space Ghost! Woot.

Anime USA is another fun convention. Small, but nice. Good for hanging out with people.

There's plenty of others, also, but I think that's enough for one post.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote