Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I don't know how he can keep so calm.
Perhaps because he's a freakin' Aslan.
Old 2013-07-30, 02:51   Link #29702
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Isn't his stance redundant then? I mean, isn't he saying that, being homosexual is ok but, you still have to act straight. How is that any different from judging them for being homosexual? It's like saying to a teenager that you are allowed to be a teenager but its wrong to act like one (I know its not the most precise analogy but, you get the point).

Do correct me if I'm wrong.
He is essentially separating what one thinks and what one does. In short, that thoughts are not sins, action is.

Logical, but only to a point. It makes his beliefs almost reasonable... until you realise that this is a modern interpretation, and that undesirable thoughts were a sin for centuries. For Francis, his declaration might seem progressive for a pope, from his point of view. But the reality is he is not progressive from the standpoint of the rest of humanity.

One could say Francis is trying to push his faith towards the future at a snail's pace, but the rest of the world had been running at full speed and as such he was never going to go far enough.
Old 2013-07-30, 08:12   Link #29703
GDB

At the very least, it is a step forward. And he isn't saying you have to act straight, just no gay sex (and one would assume, no gay marriage). For a group that had been on the edge of tar and feathering homosexuals, I'd say it's quite a huge leap forward.

Not enough to catch up, but enough to not be completely left in the dust. And in this way, any Catholic who looks down on a homosexual for being a homosexual is basically implying that they're in a better position to judge someone's sins than the freaking Pope. That will give people a lot of ammo to use against bigots like that.
Old 2013-07-30, 08:16   Link #29704
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
"If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge him?"
None of your predecessors had much of a problem with judging people, Francis. You're the Pontiff now, so do your job. Get out there and start judging!
Old 2013-07-30, 08:29   Link #29705
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I don't really see anything new. The Roman Catholic Church's official position on homosexuals has been like that for several years now.

Basically "being homosexual" intended as being attracted by the same sex is not a sin in itself. Committing homosexual acts however is.

That means for example that the Church has absolutely no problems in having homosexual priests, but they must abstain from sexual practices just like any other heterosexual priest.

So in the end what Francis said is something in line with the Roman Catholic's position on homosexuality, and there isn't any clear evidence that he condones homosexual acts, so no steps forward nor backward.

I think it's more interesting what he said regarding divorces mentioning the fact that the Orthodox Church gives a "second chance", which might open the path for the Roman Catholic Church to do the same.

Old 2013-07-30, 09:13   Link #29706
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Mass jail break in Pakistan as Taliban gunmen storm prison
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...96S0WG20130730
Old 2013-07-30, 09:18   Link #29707
EroKing

Quote:
"It is very difficult to attack such a place without proper information or contacts," said the police source, adding that some prisoners were suspected to have been in touch with the Taliban by mobile phones provided by sympathetic wardens.
Just great...
Old 2013-07-30, 09:21   Link #29708
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Just great...
The Sunni militants are fighting three fronts - the Israelis, NATO and their Shi'ite counterparts. I suspect these militants gathered are fighting either against the Pakistani government or being shipped to Iraq to turn it back into Sunni rule.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-07-30, 12:22   Link #29709
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The Sunni militants are fighting three fronts - the Israelis, NATO and their Shi'ite counterparts. I suspect these militants gathered are fighting either against the Pakistani government or being shipped to Iraq to turn it back into Sunni rule.
Syria seems a more likely destination these days.

Quote:
“Syria has become really the predominant jihadist battlefield in the world,” Matthew G. Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, told a security conference in Aspen, Colo., this month.
See also: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/wo...ria-group.html
Quote:
Mr. Abdulrahman said the killers were members of the Nusra Front and Ansar al-Khalafa al-Islamiya Brigade, among the many jihadist groups, some affiliated with Al Qaeda and populated with foreign fighters, that have entered Syria to join the insurgency battling the forces of President Bashar al-Assad in the conflict, now in its third year.
Old 2013-07-30, 21:12   Link #29710
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Analysis: Manning damage has fallen well short of worst U.S. fears
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...96U00420130731

Obama asks Republican Senators McCain, Graham to visit Egypt
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...96T1BN20130730
Old 2013-07-31, 05:49   Link #29711
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Insight: Corporate sleuths on edge after China detains foreign consultants

China corporate sleuths go from hunter to hunted? (3:24)

Considering the fact that it requires some sort of political connection to do business in China, I wonder if their government is helping their companies hide their dirty clothing?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-07-31, 05:59   Link #29712
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
One could say Francis is trying to push his faith towards the future at a snail's pace, but the rest of the world had been running at full speed and as such he was never going to go far enough.
Can't wait until the next Pope approves this
Old 2013-07-31, 06:25   Link #29713
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Can't wait until the next Pope approves this
I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying gay people are animals? I never understood how one flows from gay marriage to animal marriage.

Marriage was invented to trade property. To sell one's useless daughters for political advantage. The so-called "sanctity of marriage" is a myth. An artificial creation that never existed.

Animal marriage isn't going to happen because it lacks any tradition benefits of marriage; inheritance, political power transfer, and peace negotiations between families. Gay marriage, however, DOES allow such tradition functions of marriage to go head. Thus they are not equivalent.
Old 2013-07-31, 07:16   Link #29714
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying gay people are animals? I never understood how one flows from gay marriage to animal marriage.
No I don't mean that. What made you thought of that?

I'm just wondering what will happen next in the marriage system of the world like in the coming future... I was just exaggerating.. Anyway, while the world is so concern of legalizing the tying of the knot for homosexual couples... my country's married couples are pushing for legalizing divorce....Lols

When will incest marriage be approved for 1st degree in non Asian countries...
Old 2013-07-31, 11:59   Link #29715
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Zynga sues over sex app Bang with Friends
source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/zynga-s...riends-6412282
Quote:
FarmVille studio launches lawsuit over casual sex app claiming it infringes on Zynga's trademark for its "with friends" suite of games.
Quote:
Last week, Zynga reported a $15.8 million loss and revealed it lost nearly half of its daily active players year-on-year.
comments: really now...if you use the words "with friends" in your product, you'll get sued by Zynga!
gosh, if they win this lawsuit, i don't know what planet i'm living on anymore.
Old 2013-07-31, 12:07   Link #29716
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
Zynga sues over sex app Bang with Friends
source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/zynga-s...riends-6412282

comments: really now...if you use the words "with friends" in your product, you'll get sued by Zynga!
gosh, if they win this lawsuit, i don't know what planet i'm living on anymore.
when you can't innovate, sue.
Old 2013-07-31, 12:47   Link #29717
GDB

And that's why they brought in that guy from Microsoft to helm them!

Also, that app seems like it'd be amazing if it wasn't just your friendlist.
Old 2013-07-31, 12:58   Link #29718
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

^ the title is quite interesting...lol. it's actually my first time hearing of that app: Bang with Friends

Student left in DEA jail to get $4.1 million
source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...1-million?lite
Quote:
The U.S. government will pay $4.1 million to avoid a lawsuit against federal agents who forgot about a UC San Diego student left in a holding cell for days without food or water.

Daniel Chong spent five days in a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) holding cell in April 2012.

Taken into custody on a DEA raid, Chong was left in a windowless room without food and water. He was forced to drink his own urine hoping it would help him stay alive.
comment: inhuman issues aside, this guy gonna be getting the big buck.
Old 2013-07-31, 13:01   Link #29719
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The christian church was always about contraints on sex.
I mean, what is currently the verdict on OK sex? Only after you are married, but even then only to produce children (remember, no condoms or pills).
So once every 9 month or so?
Of course even that is only barely tolerated out of necessity. The really devout people abstain completely and become nuns/monks.

From that perspective, homosexuals are now just as good off, as everyone else.
Old 2013-07-31, 16:08   Link #29720
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
^ the title is quite interesting...lol. it's actually my first time hearing of that app: Bang with Friends

Student left in DEA jail to get $4.1 million
source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...1-million?lite

comment: inhuman issues aside, this guy gonna be getting the big buck.
3.2mil after lawyers cut.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international