AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-31, 13:44   Link #61
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

PitaTen's anime ending was an original story for the anime only, I believe. I haven't read far enough into the manga myself, but I'm pretty sure it has a completely different ending. Aside from having much more story content as a whole. The anime was -way- too fillerish for me, and it got old after the 14th or so ep. (But not without some standouts that impressed me, like ep 20.)
Old 2004-05-31, 14:45   Link #62
Itlandm
Porcupine

OK, I guess I've finally had enough Pita Ten. Half an hour ago as I was walking past the neighbor's house, a completely black cat was outside, looking at me calmly. And I began to feel kinda dizzy and getting a headache ...

At least none of my neighbors are flying yet!
Old 2004-05-31, 17:57   Link #63
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
I only have 3 volumes though, and it seems like the story moves more and more apart over time, so perhaps it gets totally different in the end. (Does the manga still go on?)
The manga ended at volume 8.

Starting from volume 4 and especially vol 5 onwards, the manga goes in a completely different direction than the anime.

Get ready for angst, angst, and followed by yet more angst...

It's like someone completely plugged up the happiness tap and connected it to the depression tap instead.
Old 2004-05-31, 19:36   Link #64
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
At least none of my neighbors are flying yet!
Well, not that you know of. Then again, angels and devils can hide themselves from view if need be. Remember?
Old 2004-06-20, 18:41   Link #65
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Pita ten is sugoi!!!
It's so good!
Teaches morals and manages to stuff comedy and drama in to one series

Man why can't kids shows be like that in america? (cough. cough ed edd and eddy)
Old 2004-08-09, 23:04   Link #66
Iskandar Taib

Pita Ten manga

After quite a few recommendations, and some statements that the manga was a lot better/different than the anime, I got my hands on the first four volumes of the Tokyopo(o)p translation. I've gotten to the first third of the second volume so far. Mitarai has shown up, they've just finished the Kaguya-hime play.

A few questions and observations, some of which I'll put under a spoiler warning.

In the Japanese, what is it that Ten-chan calls Dai-chan? The Tokyopop translation is "Poops", which I thought was very funny, given the pun (was the pun in the anime? I'll have to check again, I'm sure Ten-chan calls him Dai-chan like everyone else does in the anime).

I think they managed to catch Misha's character completely in the translation. Tee hee hee hee...

(I haven't watched the end of the anime yet.. waiting for more HnK episodes. I might break down and watch the other group's, but I watched a couple of those and I didn't like the way they subtitled it.)

I thought the anime Koboshi was a bit perkier (and cuter) than the manga one, although there were a couple of very cute pictures. Misha in her bunny PJs was cuter in the manga (why does she say "Nyaa" when she's a bunny? ^_^;..

Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-25, 12:16   Link #67
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

In case anyone was wondering, Dragosmore answered this question over at the HnK forums. His response was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragosmore
In the manga, Ten calls him "Unko" which basically means "Poops" in english. Literally it means Shit, but Ten isnt the kind of person who would call someone Shithead or something, so I think poops is appropriate~
Old 2004-10-13, 19:55   Link #68
Dario
Rusted Sword

Yeaaaahhhh!!!, Pita Ten is sooo great, I just love Misha-san and Shia-chan!!
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to download the manga instead of buying it, or am I out of luck??

PSD: Watch Daa Daa Daa it is a very good anime too!!
Old 2004-10-13, 20:02   Link #69
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

The manga is licensed by Tokyopop, and all groups stopped the translation after vol 4 (when the true story begins). (well there is another group working on it, but it releases a chapter once a blue moon and Tokyopop have already caught up with them).

Buy the manga, it's only $9.99 each, and the first 5 volumes have been released.
Old 2004-10-13, 20:43   Link #70
Thelastguardian

The anime is very tame compare to the manga. The anime, after all, aired while the manga was still going on. But if you think the anime is good, then you are in for a treat with the manga. I mean

Spoiler:

Definitely recommaned (the manga)
Old 2006-01-14, 03:21   Link #71
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I liked the anime and that manga was absolutely great! But a question does get raised. Since the DVD versions are being fansubbed, apart from a quality boost does anybody know of any additions to the DVD version?
Old 2006-01-14, 13:45   Link #72
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

As far as I know, the only real changes on the DVDs were reordering the OP to the front (for some reason the on-air versions changed this behavior partway through the series, but the DVDs never did), removal of the "don't sit too close to the TV", website ad in the next-ep preview, and scrolling messages.
Old 2006-02-02, 17:59   Link #73
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

This show has been subbed by Hikari no Kiseki since before I started downloading digisubs. (Wow!) I've always had enough other shows that I was following that I never bothered to download it, but I promised myself that if HnK ever finished it, I would start watching it to see if I liked it.

That day has arrived.

After almost 4 years, the final episode has been fansubbed! I was starting to wonder if you had the dedication to finish, but my doubts were obviously unfounded. Thanks, Hikari no Kiseki, for fansubbing this show. I like what I've heard about it, so it is time that I started downloading it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-03, 01:47   Link #74
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
This show has been subbed by Hikari no Kiseki since before I started downloading digisubs. (Wow!) I've always had enough other shows that I was following that I never bothered to download it, but I promised myself that if HnK ever finished it, I would start watching it to see if I liked it.

That day has arrived.

After almost 4 years, the final episode has been fansubbed! I was starting to wonder if you had the dedication to finish, but my doubts were obviously unfounded. Thanks, Hikari no Kiseki, for fansubbing this show. I like what I've heard about it, so it is time that I started downloading it.
By all means download and watch it - Pita Ten is impossible not to love. The characters are adorable but real, the plots well considered, and Donbo's superb artwork is faithfully reproduced. But even more, read the manga - it has all the endearing quirkiness of the anime and a whole lot of darkness and complexity besides.
Old 2006-02-03, 02:05   Link #75
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
By all means download and watch it - Pita Ten is impossible not to love.
I agree, imho absolutely impossible not to love

Together with Midori no Hibi, Pita Ten is the only anime I've managed to see 3 or + times until now! (I think Fruits Basket and Aishiteruze Baby come close though). By rewatching I mean : whenever I'm looking for a sure bet in terms of enjoyment and "feel good" state, or even simplier, when I'm missing those particular characters of that particular series. (as if they were human)

Maybe the first fansubbed show I've really loved, Pita Ten is the perfect recipe of kindness and cuteness.
Starting from animation, in hyper-kawaii style and continuing with voices that are very sugary (but lovely). But these factors contribute to a wonderful show, in which you can laugh (often) and you can reflect as well.

There's a good balancement between various elements and the fact of being labeled as a "kid-show" sure has penalized this anime, who deserves very much, imho.

10/10 in my book. They're not much, scoring this because to accomplish this, they must "touch" me, regardless if they are perfect as for realization, high budget etc. etc.

While I owned the Spectre's version of Pita Ten (very well done, with nice fonts and colours), I'm downloading HnK since I've compared the two and the video quality, as expected, is infinitely better. Although maybe I preferred the Spectre subs. Oh well, I'll keep them both

I really hope you will like it, NSW.

EDIT: and by the way, of course my thanks go to both groups (Spectre Anime and Hikari no Kiseki) who subbed this magnificent show, otherwise totally unknown to me.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2006-02-03 at 05:11. Reason: while it's not mandatory, a good "thank you" to who made something worthable is always due ^^
Old 2006-02-03, 03:07   Link #76
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yes, this is by far an amazing anime. i still love it so much.

i just want to grab Uematsu and give her a big hug and cuddle every time i see a picture of her.
Old 2006-02-03, 03:35   Link #77
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Pita the anime bowls you over with kawaii and gentle humor on the surface, all the while sneaking in angst and complex ideas while you aren't looking. In the manga, those things are much more at the forefront. They're very different animals - each wonderful in it's own way, and each capturing the essence of Donbo's genius. Sort of like "The Hobbit" and LOTR...

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2006-02-03 at 13:47.
Old 2006-02-03, 10:56   Link #78
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

You're missing an "i" there...

Unfortunately, I have to take a somewhat different opinion of the anime. After working on it as it aired into the teen episodes, it started becoming clear that the anime wasn't really going anywhere - instead of going into the long, dark storylines of the manga, it was keeping the pace set by the introductory stories, and going with numerous unrelated one-shot stories.

Initially, our release pace slowed as academic issues popped up for a few of us, but later on, we had frankly lost interest in working on it. I think episode 22, the episode that we stopped and didn't work on for two years, is the epitome of what I didn't like about the series - the episode serves very little purpose, introduces very little in terms of new character interaction, and just plain rubbed off on me as trite and annoying. We were delivered a decent enough finale, but the plot revelations behind it literally came out of nowhere - the writers could have easily devoted episode 22 more to developing more backstory for this major event rather than wasting it on pointless rehash.

To be honest, we almost dropped the project entirely, and if not for the fact that Kp, regalatre, and Wizel603 had donated money so we could acquire the later DVD volumes (we don't own any of the DVDs before episode 15), we almost certainly wouldn't have continued. The finale, bringing back a feel that the entire series should have carried, wasn't enough to save the show in my opinion, and I'm glad to have no more obligation to work on it.
Old 2006-02-03, 13:50   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
You're missing an "i" there...

Unfortunately, I have to take a somewhat different opinion of the anime. After working on it as it aired into the teen episodes, it started becoming clear that the anime wasn't really going anywhere - instead of going into the long, dark storylines of the manga, it was keeping the pace set by the introductory stories, and going with numerous unrelated one-shot stories.

Initially, our release pace slowed as academic issues popped up for a few of us, but later on, we had frankly lost interest in working on it. I think episode 22, the episode that we stopped and didn't work on for two years, is the epitome of what I didn't like about the series - the episode serves very little purpose, introduces very little in terms of new character interaction, and just plain rubbed off on me as trite and annoying. We were delivered a decent enough finale, but the plot revelations behind it literally came out of nowhere - the writers could have easily devoted episode 22 more to developing more backstory for this major event rather than wasting it on pointless rehash.

To be honest, we almost dropped the project entirely, and if not for the fact that Kp, regalatre, and Wizel603 had donated money so we could acquire the later DVD volumes (we don't own any of the DVDs before episode 15), we almost certainly wouldn't have continued. The finale, bringing back a feel that the entire series should have carried, wasn't enough to save the show in my opinion, and I'm glad to have no more obligation to work on it.

Well, opinions can certainly vary - and it's interesting that while I disagree with yours' for the most part, the one aspect of the anime that didn't work too well for me was the ending. Others can make up their own minds about it, of course...
Old 2006-02-04, 00:52   Link #80
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

StarCreator: Desire to download Pita Ten.... fading...

I'll probably still watch it, I'll just delay a bit.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, loli, magical girl, shounen