AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-12-16, 12:25   Link #1
Ottocycle

Vexille - 2077 Nihon Sakoku

Couldn't find the thread via the forum search, guess CGI anime films aren't everyone cup of tea.

Wiki, IMDB.

I can't judge for much, since all I've seen are the trailers on youtube. A subbed version is available there too.

Anyone seen this at a film festival, or at Japanese theaters yet? There's definitely a reason why Funimation snapped this one up so quickly...

Oh and Singapore will have a limited public theatre release by Cathay, only at The Picturehouse. Premiere will be Dec 27th, making it one of the fastest anime movies to reach Singapore since it's Japanese premiere(A mere 4-month delay), Ghibli productions aside.

Finally, what a godly ED.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 06:45   Link #2
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Yup, I've noticed it's coming to Singapore. But curiously, I've heard nothing about this feature film. To be sure though, I'm not sure what to think about it after finding it compared to Appleseed. To me, that movie had nothing much underneath its glossy exterior, and I have a feeling that Vexille might turn out the same way.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 08:12   Link #3
Ottocycle

I guess it's only compared to Appleseed because both are presented in 3DCG, and that people have no choice but to compare their glossy exteriors due to only the trailers for Vexille being available. But yeah, the lack of opinions is a little unsettling, which was the reason I started the thread.

Not working too well though, lol.
Old 2008-04-29, 04:38   Link #4
ziel

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I happened to see the movie yesterday in a Dublin cinema - interestingly, it was Japanese with English subtitles.
The graphic quality of the action scenes was truly amazing, but the characters sometimes move a little stiff. The story itself is really awesome if you're interested in apocalyptic sci-fi.
The movie sure was a lot more enjoyable than Beowulf.
ziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 20:13   Link #5
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I truly hated this title. The character integration with the CG backgrounds sucked majorly so that I had a hard time concentrating on the movie. The story was okay but the characters were stiff.

It was the one time that I regretted traveling into another state to see an anime title.
Old 2008-05-03, 10:13   Link #6
Ryo.Massaki

Can't say that i liked it. Technically it was great, but the story was nonsense and someway boring, characters where flat and 1 dimensional.
And those worms are
Ryo.Massaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 01:44   Link #7
Chrono Helix

I found it horribly cliched as well. Thumbs down.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 21:43   Link #8
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I just saw this on the DVD rack at Target the other day.

So the general consensus is no? Shouldn't drop money on it?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 00:37   Link #9
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'd suggest a rental. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked what I saw (enough for me to buy a copy). Vexille is a stunning blend of 2D cell-shading and 3D graphics. It also had once of the most gripping tunnel chase sequences I've seen in movies, live-action or animated. Be warned though - the story is indeed rubbish. The characters are mostly bland, cardboard stereotypes. But, I wasn't expecting a stellar plot out of Vexille. I wanted to see what Japanese studios have achieved in terms of 3D animation, and I was pleased with what I found. Vexille is definitely an improvement over Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina (plus it does at least have a slightly more coherent story compared to those two snore-fests).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 07:20   Link #10
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Vexille is a stunning blend of 2D cell-shading and 3D graphics. It also had once of the most gripping tunnel chase sequences I've seen in movies, live-action or animated. Be warned though - the story is indeed rubbish. The characters are mostly bland, cardboard stereotypes.
Some of the truest words ever. And I have to second and third the point on the chase scene. It literally had me on the edge of my seat(YMMV if you don't have a decent home theatre system though). All I can say is "Step aside, FFVII: AC."
Old 2008-06-22, 14:18   Link #11
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'd suggest a rental. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked what I saw (enough for me to buy a copy). Vexille is a stunning blend of 2D cell-shading and 3D graphics. It also had once of the most gripping tunnel chase sequences I've seen in movies, live-action or animated. Be warned though - the story is indeed rubbish. The characters are mostly bland, cardboard stereotypes. But, I wasn't expecting a stellar plot out of Vexille. I wanted to see what Japanese studios have achieved in terms of 3D animation, and I was pleased with what I found. Vexille is definitely an improvement over Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina (plus it does at least have a slightly more coherent story compared to those two snore-fests).
Wow, I will probably love this if you think it's better than both Appleseed movies, which I absolutely loved.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 09:32   Link #12
Icehawk

Saw this just recently. The CG and action is great but the characters and overall plot/story left much to be desired, I still prefer the Appleseed movies over this title. This could have been much more epic and emotional but it just wasnt handled right IMO.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 07:50   Link #13
KimmyChan

I have this movie on DVD and I thoroughly enjoy it, it really took my breath away
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 09:01   Link #14
brocko

Any ideas on what Maria whispered near the end?

I'm rather surprised on how small this thread actually is to be honest lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 19:49   Link #15
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
How do you solve a problem like Maria ?

She says 「このプレツルでのどが渇きまして」

何てね