AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-04, 17:15   Link #201
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

I don't think you should be openminded, Silverwolf0, what's wrong with having a standard. And your right about crap fantasy anime, it has been a bad run for that genre. When i look at past episodes of Slayers, i get tears in mine eyes. What quality of storytelling, great cast of personalities. Now i have to be glad if the anime has nice animations. We should be discussing about the great storyline and the great cast, not about why cecily doesn't have bigger boobs
2006-09-13, 02:28
The Searcher became a Legend!111 - (to)Arimfe

Quote from the Legendary!111 Searcher
"My heart is big enough for all the girls that lost"
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 17:24   Link #202
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
I don't think you should be openminded, Silverwolf0, what's wrong with having a standard. And your right about crap fantasy anime, it has been a bad run for that genre. When i look at past episodes of Slayers, i get tears in mine eyes. What quality of storytelling, great cast of personalities. Now i have to be glad if the anime has nice animations. We should be discussing about the great storyline and the great cast, not about why cecily doesn't have bigger boobs
Opinions are opinion but I really hope that most people don't see Slayers as the ceiling for fantasy anime.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 17:29   Link #203
kami0052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
Decent anime for now, like that luke has some mysteries hidden for later and that he is a superb fighter. Don't like cecily, same old irritating girl who has no power, but will save everybody. Don't know how many episodes this show has, but if it's 13, then I don't see how cecily will gain any swordskills. Unless her new green friend/sword will increase her level.
I totally argreed with you. Everything that i wanted to say you've said them

The way cecily talked and acted are annoying. Well at least they're annoying to me.

p/s: i think this is a 13 ep show.
kami0052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 18:14   Link #204
kujoe
from head to heel

Seiken no Blacksmith is certainly a fantasy series of the lighter fare. I think the first episode has done a good job of showing the viewers what to expect of this series. It's best not to be expecting something ground-breaking unless one is a masochist for utter disappointment.

And yes, the same goes for Slayers. My opinion is the same as animeboy12's with regard to this one.

For the fantasy genre, I would go for:

- OVAs of Record of Lodoss War (old-school)
- Seirei no Moribito (more modern with character-driven drama)
- The Twelve Kingdoms (fantasy with themes of history, politics and fatalism)
- Magicknight Rayearth (ok-ish, shoujo fantasy)

I'm sure there are still a few good ones I'm forgetting, but it's a good list from the top of my head in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
edit: hnmmm the bgm sounds awfully familiar, anyone else get that vibe?
I understand what you mean. It's like something I've heard in a JRPG or a similar series from long ago.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 18:34   Link #205
Dop
Mmmm....

Dear Animators: That's not what 'breastplate' means...
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 19:00   Link #206
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

tbqh i picked this up due to breastplate. but after ep1 i doubt that will keep me watching. will stick around for 2-3 more eps though. but this season is pretty packed already so who knows.
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 19:04   Link #207
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Really? I got the "We can add a cute clumsy loli (and lets add in elf ears just for extra effectiveness) to anything and make it better" vibes from the ED...
Did you miss the brown haired girl in the green top/skirt?
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 19:07   Link #208
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Dear Animators: That's not what 'breastplate' means...
yeah, that's the weirdest looking breastplate I have ever seen in my entire anime life lol.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 19:13   Link #209
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeboy12 View Post
For the fantasy genre, I would go for:

- OVAs of Record of Lodoss War (old-school)
- Seirei no Moribito (more modern with character-driven drama)
- The Twelve Kingdoms (fantasy with themes of history, politics and fatalism)
- Magicknight Rayearth (ok-ish, shoujo fantasy)

I'm sure there are still a few good ones I'm forgetting, but it's a good list from the top of my head in my opinion.
I'd say that as far as I am concerned, Seirei no Moribito is _the_ best fantasy anime out there. YMMV of course. Then there is Berserk which is also great but loses points because of very low budget animation.

If you want to expand the fantasy genre beyond the usual "swords and sorcery" then you'll start including things like Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime and Wolf and Spice and Full Metal Alchemist...
Old 2009-10-04, 19:23   Link #210
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Then there is Berserk which is also great but loses points because of very low budget animation.
I thought about mentioning Berserk too, but I was thinking that it's better to include it if we're specifically talking about manga.

It seems to me that titles like Berserk or Claymore are more loved for their manga versions.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 19:29   Link #211
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

YAY!
Spoiler for pics:
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 19:30   Link #212
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I thought about mentioning Berserk too, but I was thinking that it's better to include it if we're specifically talking about manga.

It seems to me that titles like Berserk or Claymore are more loved for their manga versions.
Sure, but Berserk was a very faithful adaptation of the manga. I watched a couple of episodes of Claymore and couldn't get into it, so I can't comment on that series.
Old 2009-10-04, 20:26   Link #213
paladinenvec

Sort of a generic anime, 1rst chapter it's predictable but still fun to watch it does his job well it entertained me but still probably this can get better i'll keep watching this.
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:06   Link #214
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post

I understand what you mean. It's like something I've heard in a JRPG or a similar series from long ago.

Good, so now i know it's not just me and that i'm not going crazy . But it's really starting to bug me, i can't remember what it's from...and i really want to know :X.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:12   Link #215
FateAnomaly

This isn't too bad. Watchable but a few things thay don't feel right. Namely Cecily's weird and impractical armor and how the demon simply waited there while Luke "forge" the katana. (Maybe he is curious like Cecily)
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:21   Link #216
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
hmmm i like the bgm during the sequence when he's about to forge the sword...had a nice feel to it :P

and my 0h my lisa is awesome.

edit: hnmmm the bgm sounds awfully familiar, anyone else get that vibe?

the music around 14:00 when she was begging luke to forge the sword, blahblah sword of my father blahblah

from aria clothes is she a mage or something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Here's the cover of the 7th volume of the shounen(boy's) light novel series Seiken no Blacksmith:

Shounen light novel.
Published under the shounen light novel label MF Bunko J.
Release date: September 25th, 2009.

The 2nd volume seinen manga adaptation of this shounen light novel series will be released on October 23rd, 2009. I'll post its cover when its available.
holy cow Aria "Saiyan fusion" with Cecily or something
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 22:33   Link #217
Clarste
Human

This show is amusingly straightforward about it's Katanas Are Just Better message. My opinion on the overall series will depend entirely on how Cecily develops as a character. She's pretty annoying right now, but if she gets better it'll be okay. If not, I'll probably stop watching.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 23:46   Link #218
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I found that perfectly likable and charming-ish, if nothing profound. None of the characters annoyed me and the ED was rather good. I sense we may see something of a role-reversal from normal anime convention here, a la "Good Witch of the West" - the female lead is somewhat vanilla and the male co-lead edgier and more interesting, and thus becoming the fan favorite. Too early to tell if Luke is another Roux, but he might just be GAR.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 00:29   Link #219
Yorassuko

Quote:
Good, so now i know it's not just me and that i'm not going crazy . But it's really starting to bug me, i can't remember what it's from...and i really want to know :X.
Just mentioning that I'm in the same boat. When I first heard it I started thinking what it sounded like too. Definitely familiar.

I'll get back to you if I ever get something concrete to come to mind
Yorassuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 00:54   Link #220
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, Slayers was the definition of a generic anime, albeit done pretty well and followed well upon. Except the last two seasons of Slayer (Revolution series) sort of showed that it doesn't have too much legs to stand on unless it concentrates a lot harder on either the serious action or the comedy. Unfortunately, it couldn't really do either.

As for the fantasy genre, I still don't think there's a single standard yet. Seirei no Moribito was great, but it basically threw away all forms of possibly awesome combat scenes for slow, slow, slow character development. To me, that sort of goes against what a fantasy anime is, since it should be all about the world's environments, the fantasy of the world (not something pseudo-real-world like Full Metal Alchemist. I would not consider that a fantasy.. more like some adventure-anime) and the BATTLES that a fantasy anime requires.

So far, I don't think we *quite* have that kind of epic, except the first three seasons of Slayers came damn close. It had its flaws, but it almost had everything. It came really close to being an unmissable classic, though its cheesiness and genericness in terms of the character archetypes sort of hurt its credibility a bit.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen