AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-07, 21:14   Link #301
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

With so many characters, how should any character discussion threads be arranged? Should we have a few character specific threads (Nanoha, Fate and Yuno, for example) mixed in with general threads that are series (and manga) specific? What are your ideas?
Old 2011-09-08, 00:22   Link #302
Sunder the Gold

I already said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
For example, speculating on the histories and nature of the Lu Rushe Tribe, the Alpine lineage, summoning magic, the summoned beasts, and their involvement in past Belkan Wars.
One.

Quote:
Or the Scrya Clan and the various possible origins of Raising Heart.
Two.

Quote:
Possibly also the Combat Cyborgs as their own group, along with speculation about Quint Nakajima and why she was chosen as the donor for THREE cyborg clones. And Wild Mass Guessing about who Cinque was cloned from.
Three.

A fourth could be the Testarossa family, speculating about Precia's past and relatives, and Alicia father.

A fifth could be the Hallahoun family, speculating about Chrono, Amy, their children, Lindy, and any other relatives.

Basically, sorting by families.
Old 2011-09-08, 01:12   Link #303
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

How about this? Before we get hasty and make new threads only for them to wither and die, why not post them on the theories and speculations thread first? After it's clear that there are many replies(6-7 posts, maybe?) then ask for them to have a separate thread and move those posts there.

This way, there's a guarantee that the new thread will stay alive (for awhile)
Old 2011-09-08, 10:19   Link #304
Sunder the Gold

I've already posted the first of my thoughts regarding the Scrya Clan in the Theories and Speculation thread.

So far, I've only gotten one reply. I'm waiting to see if I get and more before going ahead with the rest of my thoughts.
Old 2011-09-08, 20:58   Link #305
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Geh i'm going to be lost on these random threads

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-09-08, 22:16   Link #306
Sunder the Gold

I'm afraid my conversation will be lost when someone comes along with a different theory they want to discuss, and then when someone who might be interested in MY speculations comes along, they won't see my thoughts because five pages of other speculation happened.
Old 2011-09-09, 07:26   Link #307
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
That's just the way it goes. All the regulars saw your thoughts, and if they wanted to comment, they would have. We all like to think our thoughts are important, but the truth is that not everyone thinks so.

Here is what you can do: copy the link to your post, and if someone comes along and makes a post wherein you think they should read your old post, simply post the link to it. "I said something similar here:"

But there are so many aspects to this show and so many characters, that a thread for each of them would balloon this forum dramatically. And each thread would only have a few posts. If a post can fit in a current thread, it is better to have it there.
Old 2011-09-09, 23:19   Link #308
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Not if we're smart about this. There's only three characters that should get a thread to themselves: Nanoha, Fate and Yuno. Hayate can share hers with the Volkies, and then we can have three more general character threads divided up by series (or two threads and combine MGLN and A's into one thread).
Old 2011-09-10, 00:36   Link #309
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I don't really think it's a good idea for character threads, either. It would have been sensible back when the original series was ongoing, but as it is now there wont be enough conversation to keep the threads afloat. The only kind of character discussions I see anymore is either brought on by new material in the mangas (which can be discussed in the manga threads) or it's a technological or magic aspect to them that already has a place for it to be discussed as well. And even if you combine all of the characters, it still doesn't add up to much conversation.
Old 2011-09-10, 00:54   Link #310
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Until we get another anime, I don't really see it being necessary. Character threads tend to work best as show the show goes on, but after the show airs, they are usually the first to sink to the bottom.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-09-10, 01:06   Link #311
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If my time in the Code Geass forum is any indication, character discussion threads, particularly when there is no show running, have a very high chance of devolving into shipping-fests.

And given both the fandom history and the forum history when it comes to shipping... that's the last thing we need.
Old 2011-09-10, 10:41   Link #312
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Count me in with the group who thinks character discussion threads at this point in the fandom would only be asking for trouble. It would have been best when the show was still running and giving us new material to discuss. Trying to do it after the show has ended only seems like it would either cause trouble or make the threads sink fast.
Old 2011-09-10, 14:22   Link #313
Sunder the Gold

Does it matter that the principle point of discussion I'm aiming for is less a matter of Yuuno in specific, and more the Scrya Clan in general?

But even if it doesn't, I do ask that people come in, read those thoughts, and comment on them.
Old 2011-09-10, 14:26   Link #314
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, the main problem is that Yuuno just isn't that popular a character, so few people have the motivation to discuss him or his clan. There's really nothing you can do about that.
Old 2011-09-10, 14:30   Link #315
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Well, the main problem is that Yuuno just isn't that popular a character, so few people have the motivation to discuss him or his clan. There's really nothing you can do about that.
If there's not much discussion, then there's not much potential for flaming, perhaps?

Also, there's a lack of advertising.

Anyone who might be interested in discussing the topic doesn't see a thread with such a title. The thread it IS in has a title that doesn't indicate it's there.

What's more, the speculation thread is very large, discouraging someone from starting to look through it.

I went around and posted advertisements regarding that post in the other threads, but those ad-posts are now getting left behind again, so anyone who didn't see them is going to miss them.
Old 2011-09-10, 14:36   Link #316
Skane
Anime Snark

You can't force discussion.

Cheers.
Old 2011-09-10, 15:03   Link #317
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
If there's not much discussion, then there's not much potential for flaming, perhaps?
Then what's the point of having the character thread if there won't be much discussion? It seems like a waste. The thread would either become a flame war or get buried quickly.
Old 2011-09-10, 18:15   Link #318
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You can't force discussion.
I'm unclear where "forcing" is happening or being suggested.
Old 2011-09-10, 19:10   Link #319
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You have one tiny, ignored part of a franchise you want to discuss so badly you are requested a separate thread for it to be created just so people would discuss it. That's the 'trying to force discussion' Skane's talking about. If people want to discuss the Scrya background, they will. If they don't, they won't. Making a separate thread won't make anyone discuss it. It'll just end up with the thread being buried the same way posts are.
Old 2011-09-11, 02:57   Link #320
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Yeah, we kind of lose interest when its not fun to talk about it and when there is very little to talk about.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Closed Thread