AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-03, 09:56   Link #441
Nosauz

All right so I watched the entire series, and I jsut don't seem to get why everybody loves this series so much. I enjoyed most of the combat stuff but man the school portions were just so bad. Most of the comedy was pretty much recycled from love hina antics, and they weren't as funny as the orginal. Maybe I was watching the series incorrectly but it just felt like the comedy was off and things just didn't mesh as well as I had hoped for, but then again I picked up the series very late so the order in what animes I have seen before fmp is different from many who love the series. I'm just wondering what makes you guys love fmp?

Last edited by Nosauz; 2009-03-03 at 10:56.
Old 2009-03-03, 10:54   Link #442
Miles Teg

I love FMP! but I don't care about Fumoffu/comedy part, so I am probably like you about that

What has make me a fan of FMP is the mlitary/action/mecha part of the story, I have never found the school part to be that good/funny.
Old 2009-03-03, 11:20   Link #443
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
All right so I watched the entire series, and I jsut don't seem to get why everybody loves this series so much. I enjoyed most of the combat stuff but man the school portions were just so bad. Most of the comedy was pretty much recycled from love hina antics, and they weren't as funny as the orginal. Maybe I was watching the series incorrectly but it just felt like the comedy was off and things just didn't mesh as well as I had hoped for, but then again I picked up the series very late so the order in what animes I have seen before fmp is different from many who love the series. I'm just wondering what makes you guys love fmp?
Well hello there. It's nice to see a familiar face from the CG boards over here. =)

For starters, I've gotta ask you, what do you mean when you say that you "watched the entire series"? I assume that it does in fact include Fumoffu and The Second Raid as well. If you've only seen the first series, the one produced by Gonzo, I can see where you're coming from. It has a lot of flaws. If you've also seen Fumoffu I can only agree with you about the "school portions". I didn't find that very funny at all.

I saw the first season back when I was fairly new to anime. Or well, I'd been watching anime for a couple of years, but FMP! was one of the first ten anime titles I ever saw. The first season was easily the best anime I had seen at that point, and the characters got me emotionally invested in the franchise. I never cared much for Fumoffu, even though I really enjoyed seeing the characters again. I don't know, I guess I'm simply not that fond of this kind of sidestory material. Exaggerated personalities, no plot, no development.

What makes me think back on FMP as a great series today is The Second Raid. In my personal opinion it's light years ahead of the previous titles. It's well directed, well executed, well written, and it really develops the two main characters. I must say though that a certain scene in the beginning of the last episode ruined some of it, but hey, no show has ever been close of reaching a state of perfection.

So, to answer your question - Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid is why I "love" the franchise. I did love the first series back when I first watched it, but 400 anime titles later I've gained some perspective. Fumoffu is not among my top 50 shows, but the first season would definitely make it into my top 40. The Second Raid on the other hand is actually still among my top 15. I'm in it for the story and the drama/the characters. This only gets better beyond the point where the anime left off. Only 5 out of 11 main plot novels have been adapted into anime after all.
Old 2009-03-03, 11:59   Link #444
Nosauz

Well i've watched, fomoffu/second raid/ the first season, and most of the comedic elements like sousuke thinking everything is a bomb, just reminds me how poorly this humor device could have been used. A current show that does the overly sesntive undercover agent is sora wo kake shoujo which makes this event actually funny instead of facepalm terrible. Yea I really liked the mecha designs, and many things about the series was great but sometimes the humor felt out of place or just really forced which really left a bitter taste about the series in general, but with your prespective I htink i might be able to stomach a rewatch now without taking the comedic/school life portion as seriously. Also the newness factor doesn't apply to me because at that time I have seen plenty of great anime to fill up my top 50, with lengthy discussion of why I like said series. I guess my expectations were just a little bit too high for the show, and my initial dislike of s1 tainted my view of second raid. So i'll probably check it out again, and when a new season hits I'll probably talk about with all of you
Old 2009-03-24, 20:43   Link #445
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

ok im like 10 episodes into season 1...can someone just tell me if souske gets with any "girl" in the end, like does he actually have a REAL relationship by the end of this season? Don't tell me which girl (though most likely chidori), but just tell me if it DOES happen, so i know to look forward to it. I can't stand him being so damn oblivious right now
Old 2009-03-24, 21:57   Link #446
masterwok

at the end of that series he doesnt get anything bc he is so thick headed
Old 2009-03-24, 22:07   Link #447
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
but the whole series is incomplete there should be at least one more series after all the novels are finished (last one should be out sometime this year)
Old 2009-03-25, 11:28   Link #448
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwok View Post
at the end of that series he doesnt get anything bc he is so thick headed
are you serious.......
Old 2009-03-25, 12:05   Link #449
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
are you serious.......
Well you gotta cut the guy some slack considering his background. He's just a little slow in this area. Although he doesn't "end" up with anybody yet, it's not like nothing is developing.
Old 2009-03-26, 00:22   Link #450
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Cut poor Souske some slack he's got no clue what those crazy people in his class are on about half of the time let alone knows what to do about his feelings for Kaname.

there is definately something there between Souske and Kaname though because if COMO
Spoiler for COMO Scene:

and in BOMF
Spoiler for BOMF Scene:

so its just a matter of time till we see the fabled kiss between Souske and kaname we have all been waiting for. but for me im running out of patience and i want to see it NOW!!!!!!!!!!! im going to die soon if i dont find out what happens between them
Old 2009-03-26, 03:08   Link #451
Alchemist007
*Author

You're not the only one
Old 2009-03-26, 14:38   Link #452
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
Cut poor Souske some slack he's got no clue what those crazy people in his class are on about half of the time let alone knows what to do about his feelings for Kaname.
Haha, this reminds me of that scene where Sousuke is trying to play that gal-game in class. He does horrible at it and the girl in the game leaves him. He's all like "no, don't go. A breakdown in negotiations will lead to war."
Old 2009-03-26, 19:22   Link #453
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

HA, thats exactly right i dont think it can be explained any better than that scene about what goes through Sousuke's head
Old 2009-03-26, 19:23   Link #454
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Haha, this reminds me of that scene where Sousuke is trying to play that gal-game in class. He does horrible at it and the girl in the game leaves him. He's all like "no, don't go. A breakdown in negotiations will lead to war."
Ha thats right Ryuou i dont think i can be explained any better than that scene about what goes through Sousuke's head
Old 2009-03-27, 00:28   Link #455
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i dont know if this is ask b4, but just how much do you get paid in amalgam and mithril (it would be nice if we have salaries base on rank break downs)
Old 2009-03-27, 04:09   Link #456
Miles Teg

I think the salaries are given in a book or on some of the short stories.

If I remember correctly, Amalgam pay more than Mithril (that's the reason for most of the traitor inside Mitjril). Mithril salaries depend of what you were doing before and your background, Sousuke and Kurtz have higher salaries because they are "pure" mercenaries (no allegiance) and have top notch skill. I am really not sure but I think that Mithril salaries have 5 zeros.
Old 2009-04-02, 17:56   Link #457
Kikuchi

Since the first series is now available at 20€ here, I bought it the other day and re-watched it for the first time in quite a while.

I remember the fact that key technicians being killed during Danaan's hijack was the reason why they couldn't reprogram the Arbalest for someone other than Sôsuke. It was mentionned in Owaru Day By Day and probably in TSR.

Yet, no one died during the hijack, save for Mac Allen, Lian and the traitors. Did Gonzo screwed that up or was it really "invented" like that ? :|

On a totally different note :

Spoiler for FRENCH USER ? READ THIS:

Last edited by Kikuchi; 2009-04-03 at 06:13.
Old 2009-04-03, 01:52   Link #458
Full Metal Jackass
Most Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
His Glock is not a gun that Mithril provides, it's his handgun of his choice.

Trivia info: in the original novel, Sousuke's handgun is a Glock 19. In the anime versions, his handgun is a Glock 26.
i would find it difficult to believe that a man like Sousuke would trade magazine capacity for increased conceal-ability.
Old 2009-04-16, 06:02   Link #459
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

This is the Q and A forum, so I'm hoping somebody who has an answer to this would respond if at all possible. Well, here goes...

For the 3 Drama CD's for FMP,

フルメタル・パニック!ドラマCD(全3巻)
(Full Metal Panic! Drama CD (All 3 Titles))

* 「やりすぎのウォークライ」(2001年5月10日発売)
Overused Warcry
* 「一途なステイク・アウト」(2001年8月10日発売)
Determined Steak Out
* 「女神の来日(受難編)」(2001年11月9日発売)
Coming of the Goddess (to Japan)

Does anybody know when these take place? I've been looking around a little on Japanese sites, but haven't found reviews or synopses about them.

Do they happen before, during, or after the anime? If possible, does anybody know the main plot of each CD? If not, then just the time frame would be useful, to see if it's worth pursuing. If it's after the anime, then I'll probably listen to them.

(or are they separate side-stories?)

I looked up the books release dates, and "The End of Day by Day" was released April, 2001, and the Drama CD was released May 10th, 2001. So I don't think it has "A Dancing Merry Christmas" and beyond, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 2009-04-16, 06:25   Link #460
Miles Teg

Looks like the tittle of some short stories and Fumoffu episodes :

やりすぎのウォークライ ~ Fumoffu ep7 : Overdone Warcry ~ volume 4 "Honki ni Narenai Nishi Manrui", story 4
一途なステイク・アウト ~ Fumoffu ep4 : Stake Out Wholeheartedly ~ volume 4 "Honki ni Narenai Nishi Manrui", story 5
女神の来日 ~ Fumoffu ep8 : The Goddess's Visit to Japan ~ volume 11: "Ateni Naranai Roppou Zensho", story 6
Closed Thread