AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-18, 11:05   Link #1
kari-no-sugata

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (The Wallflower)

Doesn't seem to be a topic on this already. This TV series (starting 3rd October) is based on a shoujo manga series of the same name. The title translates as "the 7 forms of the perfect woman" (some kind of saying) and is also known as "perfect girl evolution" and the US licensed title is "The Wallflower".

Home page:
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/yamanade/
Main characters:
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/contents/y...ara/index.html

I like the manga enough that I buy them (in Japanese) though I'm not crazy about it. The main attraction to me is the very unusual main character - Sunako:

Here's a translation of the blurb about her:
Quote:
The main character of this story. Thinks of herself as "ugly", has thrown away her feminity, loves solitude, darkness and horror movies, and hates bright things, but actually she is excellent at housework (in particular her cooking is professional grade), good at all sports, good at studying (except maths), and truely a super girl. Continuously and obstinately refuses to become a lady, but what is the effect of efforts of the 4 living with her...!?
The 4 with her are 4 boys (who go to the same school, and a somewhat standard 4 man bishounen squad) who get free rent if she can be turned into a "lady", from the rich lady (Sunako's aunt) who owns the mansion they all live in.

The story is pretty simple, kinda what you see is what you get. Highly episodic, but some character development. It's a comedy series, with lots of "horror" in-jokes. Bit of social commentary on the importance of apperance and so on. Most of the comedy is about Sunako's extremely weird behaviour and the guys' efforts to transform her. Sometimes Sunako (who mostly hides herself), goes into a sort of "cool mode" which is always fun to see.

Sunako's best friends are a skeleton and human anatomy doll. She'd probably get along with Dark Nanoha (though might get mistaken for a ghost).

I'm certainly going to watch the first ep but I rarely like manga to anime conversations for manga I already like, so I may give up on it. But, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised like with the anime version of "Ouran Host Club"
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 18:38   Link #2
BakuDan
Let's count up your sins!

Its weird that this being a good manga, and I dont see any other post other than this. After watching the first episode of YNSH, I'd say that the animation is top notch and it follows the first chapters of the manga. Makes you wonder why no one talks about his show.
BakuDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 18:43   Link #3
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Must be because there's no sub yet. I watched the raw but I couldn't make anything out of it. It looked funny though. Only complain I have about it is that the males look A LOT like females.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 18:46   Link #4
BakuDan

If you had read the first few chapters of the manga, you will understand what happend on the first episode. Its funny when Sunako gets a nosebleed when he sees the 4 guy's faces.
Old 2006-10-03, 18:48   Link #5
chrno_the_sinner

I watched the RAW with the basic knowledge of the plot. I have mixed feelings. I think part of the reason I didn't like it that much was because a lot of it was "dialouge humour". Plus the short haired blond guy REALLY looked like a girl, which bugged me too. The part where Sunako was chopping the fish made me "lol" though. The ED animation was kinda cool too.

I'll wait for the sub and two more episodes, then decide, but so far it's a maybe on my show list.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 18:53   Link #6
BakuDan

Haha, you noticed that too eh? He really would have been a girl if it weren't for his voice. I wonder if this is going to be 13 ep of in the 24/26's. One thing is for sure, if they stick close to the manga plotline, I wouldn't worry too much. And like what the original poster said, its like Ouran Host Club.
Old 2006-10-03, 18:58   Link #7
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

The art style is a type I hate and I'm pretty mean to bishounen but I'm gonna give it a chance (my general rule is 6 eps) on a subbed version. I'm pretty sure I missed over half of it.

Luckily I never read the manga. I tend to really dislike it when an anime is just a carbon copy of it's manga version but since I saw this first, it wins.

So here's the question because I'm only gonna care about one. Manga or anime? Which should I see? And don't say "both!"
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 19:07   Link #8
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

I also was thinking why nobody was talking about PGE (YNSH). Im so looking forward to this series, I wonder who will be doing the subs.
Gotta watch the raw
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 19:09   Link #9
BakuDan

Ooo hard decision. Its hard to make a decision whether manga or anime since only episode 1 came and I usually see it till the end when I make a decision. So i cant really choose between either of the two.

I'm going to get myself a good gif of sunako chopping the fish like a serial killer.
Old 2006-10-03, 20:09   Link #10
Sakuya
*Artist

Honestly, this is the only manga where the paneling and pacing is all over the place, added to the mix of all the comedy antics of the four guy characters, one word describes it all: CRAZY! There's so much going on in a page and you get confused as to which panel comes first. And the pacing is weird. Made me not want to read it. Oh and Sunako is a chibi 90% of the time. At least in the (only) volume that I read.

But I might watch the first episode of the anime whenever it gets subbed just to see how it does.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 21:21   Link #11
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Watched the raw. Pretty well done, the chibis of the boys were funny, sunako's chibi is a little better than the manga (she was really small in chibi mode).
The opening was made of parts of the episode (somewhat a good song) and the ending has nothing special about it.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 22:17   Link #12
Srin Tuar
無謀

I liked episode one.

My premonition is the sunako will eventually become beatiful and possibly have the blonde bishi who broake her confidence actually recognize her, and maybe attempt to date her or something.

My only complaint would be the lips on the bishes. There is a point at which they stop looking like bishies, and just are girls.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 22:20   Link #13
BakuDan

Yep, the color of their lips makes their lips stick out like Angelina Jolie's. Do you think sunako's voice sound younger than her looks?
Old 2006-10-03, 22:21   Link #14
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I hate the manga. Would I like this?

I found the comedy shivering to the bones, and none of the characters particularly interesting. Not to mention it felt episodic after a while.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 22:22   Link #15
BakuDan

Well for one, why did you hate the manga?
Old 2006-10-03, 23:18   Link #16
SinsI

Quote:
After watching the first episode of YNSH, I'd say that the animation is top notch and it follows the first chapters of the manga.
I had the complete opposite opinion. More than once there were lengthy scenes without any animation, they resort to simplistic and quasi-chibi art like 80% of the time there it is not needed. This seriously lacks money: they didn't even have an original OP!
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 00:41   Link #17
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I read a couple of chapters of the manga. It was okay. But I am a great fan of PuniPuni Poemi, one of director Nabeshin (Watanabe Shin'ichi)'s two great off-the-wall anime, along with Excel Saga.

At first I was like: where's Nabeshin? But gradually he took control -- the fact that his humor and the manga humor are similarly nuts helped. The sound as the guys were sitting around the living room table was hilarious. The scene of her propelling herself along the floor with Golden Bishie on top of her was perfect. Nabeshin is following the manga -- in chibis and simple drawing as well as in plot -- but expanding the scenes with motion and sound.

We'll see how it goes, but so far I like. This season we are getting a full helping of bishounen: Gin-iro no Cord, Marginal Prince, and this.

The seiyuu for the girl is a relative unknown called Takaguchi Sachiko. She had a role in Fantastic Children, as Soleto. And she had a role as a squirrel (or maybe it's a rat) in one episode of a kid's anime called Pokapoka Mori no Rascal. And she was an angel's voice in Boku wa Imouto ni Koi Suru. I thought her screams, grunts and wheezes in this episode were inspired, lol. I look forward to more of her actual voice, as I look forward to gradually seeing Sunako-chan's actual face.

And the ED animation was fantastic. Reminded me of David Byrne. I do recommend the two-episode OVA PuniPuni Poemi, but only to someone who likes complete irrationality and happy, simple, destructive lolis, with a touch of yuri. Kobayashi Yumiko's greatest role.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-04 at 01:47.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 06:07   Link #18
kari-no-sugata

Thoughts on ep 1: It's very close to the manga both in plot and looks - the manga looks rather basic quite often (I guess the author doesn't have many assistants). This makes the anime feel quite cheap at times - particularly with the re-cycled OP. I don't normally notice such things, but the character drawings seemed somewhat upstable - not the sort of thing you expect to see in the first ep.

One thing I'm glad they changed is to put a bit more meat on the guys - in the manga, they're emaciated.

Overall, the anime keeps the same feeling as the manga. Since I like the manga, this is good.
Old 2006-10-04, 06:18   Link #19
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno_the_sinner
Plus the short haired blond guy REALLY looked like a girl, which bugged me too.
It's a running joke - he's often mistaken for a girl. (He practically has moe~ powers)

I'm slightly put-off in how he looks in the anime. He looks better in the manga - still as girlish but looks somewhat more normal.
Old 2006-10-04, 06:22   Link #20
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
So here's the question because I'm only gonna care about one. Manga or anime? Which should I see? And don't say "both!"
Well, there's 16+ volumes of manga and one ep of anime. I can tell you exactly what the manga's like but it's early days to judge the anime.