AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-05-30, 13:16   Link #2841
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

Correct me if I am wrong but when it comes to names like Felli/Feri & Lind/Rind, was it there intention to have it come out as Lind/Felli but were unable to cause of the not having L in the Japanese language so they use R as the next closest thing? and brought it as close as they could, Becasue surly if they had wanted them to sound and be R's they could have like Rukia or Renji and then when they were done in English they were able to bring them the rest of the way?
Old 2009-05-30, 20:33   Link #2842
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Don't they usually say that in church as well? "Hallow thee by name?"
That was one of the examples in the definition I copy-pasted. Hallowed be Thy name. God's name (and everything else about Him) is holy, sacred, venerated.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 00:46   Link #2843
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Angel View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but when it comes to names like Felli/Feri & Lind/Rind, was it there intention to have it come out as Lind/Felli but were unable to cause of the not having L in the Japanese language so they use R as the next closest thing? and brought it as close as they could, Becasue surly if they had wanted them to sound and be R's they could have like Rukia or Renji and then when they were done in English they were able to bring them the rest of the way?
IMO, yeah, that's what happened.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 15:22   Link #2844
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
IMO, yeah, that's what happened.
Ah, and by the way the names of Ah! My goddess characters are primarily based off some mythological names. (I forgot, but when I do look it up I will post it here). Belldandy was actually supposed to have the pronounciation of Velldandy, but I guess Fujishima decided upon the context.
Old 2009-05-31, 15:55   Link #2845
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

I know Lind was based of a Viking from Norse Mythology named Rindo, if that helps.
Old 2009-05-31, 18:55   Link #2846
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
The first part of your conclusion is correct, but I'm not quite too sure what you're trying to get at in your comparison with the two Bleach characters. If you see names that are translated from Japanese into English with 'l's in them, then there are usually a few reasons for this:

1.) The translators (into English) discovered that the original Japanese name was based off a foreign word that is pronounced with any sort of alveolar approximate that could be confused in Japanese, so they write it the way it would be in English.

2.) An official Japanese website of a original character from a series could have the character's name written in the foreign language (for example, I believe I saw Horo from Spice and Wolf spelled as Holo on the official Spice and Wolf website, but, of course, the Japanese was pronounced "Horo").

3.) Sometimes if you're watching fansubs, the subbers will try and make sense of a name transliterated into Japanese from other languages and may choose to spell it in a certain way, but this isn't necessarily indicative of the way it's meant to be spelled. At times, however, the name may simply be made up, except written in katakana, so it may simply be an aesthetic choice on the part of the translation.

As for your comparison of Rukia and Renji, Rukia is written in katakana, so I'm not exactly sure where the decision to use the 'r' came from (either from subs, which possibly carried into the official dub, or other reasons unbeknownst to me), but Renji is written in kanji, so most of the time it's written with an 'r'.

Hope that helps.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 23:14   Link #2847
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Another method is by asking the creator/writers, etc., themselves. For example the character Larva from Vampire Princess Miyu was difficult for translators because of the "r/l" and "v/b" sounds. They asked the author directly to resolve the issue, but humorously enough even the author didn't have a firm answer. Eventually the name Larva was settled on for the English translation.

^ The above is paraphrased from liner notes in my VHS copy of the OVA btw.
Old 2009-06-01, 07:08   Link #2848
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
I know Lind was based of a Viking from Norse Mythology named Rindo, if that helps.
Yeah it was Norse Mythology that all of the goddesses were named after.
Old 2009-06-01, 17:24   Link #2849
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
people, what is hallowed ground?
For most Americans, the concept of "hallowed ground" is first introduced somewhere late in elementary school when most of us read Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Lincoln tells the assembled crowd that they, the living, "cannot hallow" the ground on which the Battle of Gettysburg was fought just a few months before. "The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 13:13   Link #2850
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

About Reputation system, when you receive rep the amounts you get given vary and I was curious, how does your status affect the amount of rep you can give people at a time?

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 13:48   Link #2851
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
About Reputation system, when you receive rep the amounts you get given vary and I was curious, how does your status affect the amount of rep you can give people at a time?
You have no direct control over the amount of points per rep award. They are fixed by the amount of rep you yourself have. As you accumulate your own points, you "level up" in the power of each rep you can give another.

Someone with one green dot hits for 1 point, someone with six green dots smashes for 6 points (or something like that).

As others have joked "With great power comes great responsibility" so as you grow into 3 or more dots, you tend to get more careful about lobbing kisses or bombs.

There are all kinds of brakes in the system to reduce manipulation of scores. For example, once you rep someone's post - you can't rep that poster again until a certain amount of time has passed and/or you've repped other people enough. You can also give out too much rep and be put in rep "time out" for 24 hrs.
Old 2009-06-05, 14:00   Link #2852
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You can also give out too much rep and be put in rep "time out" for 24 hrs.
10 rep over a period of 24h I believe.
Old 2009-06-08, 01:58   Link #2853
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
is there anyway to search for songs by name/album on Winamp. ~_~
Old 2009-06-08, 02:44   Link #2854
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quick question. What does it mean when a user has a plus sign next to their name at the bottom of a page?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 02:59   Link #2855
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Quick question. What does it mean when a user has a plus sign next to their name at the bottom of a page?
It means you have them in your contac/friend list.
Old 2009-06-08, 02:59   Link #2856
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
It means they are on your Friends list.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 03:08   Link #2857
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
It means they are on your Friends list.
Actually, you can have them as a contact (no friend request) and they will still show up with the + mark. Of course, they will all end up on the same list, but still.

Not sure if a rejected friendship will still show the mark, though.
Old 2009-06-08, 03:31   Link #2858
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNDAM H.E.X. View Post
can i change my user name to DRAGUN H.E.X.?,
I think you can. Just request for it at the username change thread in the forum feedback section

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 16:38   Link #2859
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

The father of my grandfather was red-haired, yet, none of his kids was. My grandpa had seven kids (my mother being one of them) and none was born with red-hair. My mother and her brothers had dozen of kids and not even one of them was born with red hair.

My sister and a few of my cousins already have kids of their own and "surprise" they are not red haired either.

Through all of this, no new red haired people has joined my family. Could there still be a chance of someone with red hair to be born in my family?
Old 2009-06-09, 16:44   Link #2860
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
The father of my grandfather was red-haired, yet, none of his kids was. My grandpa had seven kids (my mother being one of them) and none was born with red-hair. My mother and her brothers had dozen of kids and not even one of them was born with red hair.

My sister and a few of my cousins already have kids of their own and "surprise" they are not red haired either.

Through all of this, no new red haired people has joined my family. Could there still be a chance of someone with red hair to be born in my family?
Yes. Its still lurking about as a recessive gene (someone a generation or two down from you may be very surprised ) The *odds* of it popping up are getting pretty small though with each successive generation. You'll also want to know whether anyone marrying into the family has any red hair in their ancestry because that will muck the odds calculation up a bit.

Using a more serious example -- my mother and father happened to both carry the gene for cystic fibrosis. Each child had a 1/4 chance of having the disease and a 50% chance of also being a carrier of the gene. Out of five progeny, two of my siblings had the disease (one died right after birth, the other died after 13 years). I married a Japanese-American (almost non-existant chance of carrying the gene). There's now a test for it (wasn't developed until the 1990s). Both my sons need to be tested before they have children because they *might* be carriers.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-09 at 17:04.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious