Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-01, 11:41   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2006: October Finals! [READ THE RULES]

Please read and follow these simple thread rules.

No Campaign Posts.
  • Absolutely no campaign posts allowed.

This includes posts containing ANY campaign verbiage whether in whole or in part. Contributing to the debate is encouraged, provided you do NOT add "VOTE ABCD!!!" (or similar to the post itself). Simply rebutting another's post or opinion with "XYZ sucks" is totally unacceptable.
To be clear:
  • Please do not create a post with the sole purpose to campaign for a character!
  • Do not add “VOTE FOR XYZ CHARACTER!!” anywhere in your post even if the intent isn't to purely campaign.
We want intelligent, decent and fun discussions about the weekly Rounds and the subsequent winners & losers.
  • No Image campaigning.
    Do not create a post with an image or collage representation of a campaign poster. In other words: a PhotoShopped image of the character you want people to vote for with “vote for” text added to it.

Posting Etiquette:
  • Please do not cross post information about this tournament in other AnimeSuki threads.
    Keep all Anime Saimoe Tournament posts, campaigns, character information, voting links, etc., within this thread only or in your signature (signature size limits still apply).

• No "meta-posting".
    Meaning: posting about another poster, the thread or about another post itself, is forbidden and will be deleted on-the-spot, regardless of intention. If you want to comment about another poster that’s off-topic and/or personal, send them a PM. If you have a comment about the thread, then PM Kinny Riddle or post it to your blog.

• Any flame-baiting will be deleted and those people banned.
    Please keep the thread positive, fun and clean. If your choice doesn’t win the Round and you can’t discuss the fact without complaining, swearing and baiting people into arguments, then don’t post.

• Do not create image only posts.
    You can, however, include an image with your discussion. If you want to visually support the character you’re voting for then please do so in the context of your original discussion and use only one or two images. We would encourage the use of “thumbnails” if possible (and please, no large images). PM me (Catgirls) if you need help with posting thumbnail images.
Old 2006-10-01, 11:42   Link #2
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle.

------

Official website

http://saimoe2006.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

There's already a thread below in the Mai Otome/HiME section, but it is just too interesting to limit discussion of that tournament there.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...471#post627471

As that thread was more focused towards the Mai Otome/HiME fandom, Catgirls and I have discussed and I have decided to start a new separate thread in this section aimed at greater exposure to the A-Suki community, and bring this interesting tournament for discussion here.

Q. What is the Anime Saimoe Tournament?

A. It's pretty much the anime equivalent of GameFAQs' annual Popular Video Character contests, where through daily online polls, the most "moe" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%C3%A9) anime character.

Q. How is it held?

A. All (female) anime characters that appeared in anime series, OVA and animated movies airing and/or released in Japan between July 1st 2005 and June 30th 2006 can be nominated. (Even animals are included, it seems, as long as they're not males. )

First there are two qualifying rounds.

The 1st qualifying round is held between July 5th and 13th, and has 18 groups. Of these 18 groups, the top 8 characters of each group would enter the tournament proper directly. (A total of 8 x 18 = 144 characters)

While those ranked 9th to 32nd of each group will enter the 2nd qualifying round. (A total of 24 x 18 = 432 characters)

The 2nd qualifying round would be held between July 26th (today according to Japan Standard Time) and July 31st. The 432 characters would be divided into 6 groups of 72. The top 24 of each group will qualify for the tournament proper. (A total of 24 x 6 = 144 characters)

In total, the tournament proper will have 288 characters = 144 (from 1st Qual. ) + 144 (from 2nd Qual. )

The tournament proper will commence on August 3rd all the way to the final on October 28th.

The 1st round proper (August 3rd - 10th, August 15th - 22nd, August 24th - 31st and September 2nd to 9th) will be divided into 4 pools of 16 groups, each group having 3 characters. With 3 groups being contested per match day. In total, there are 96 groups. (96 x 3 = 288 characters)
The 96 group winners will qualify for the 2nd round.

The 2nd round would be in the same format as the 1st round, where 1 character is chosen from a list of 3. In total, there are 32 groups. (Divided into 4 pools of 8 groups. 1 group contested per day. ) The 32 group winners will qualify for the 3rd round.

From the 3rd round onwards, two characters will face off with each other on simple knockout format until the winner is decided.

Spoiler for timetable:

Users outside of Japan are welcome to vote, however, please remember YOU CAN ONLY VOTE ONCE PER SESSION. If the organizers even suspect some vote rigging, they can ban a whole range of foreign ISPs outside Japan. So please don't ruin it for the other fans. Voting time is between 0100 - 2300 Japan time. (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=248)

Since it's just very complicated, here's the all-image voting instructions so you can follow step-by-step:

Spoiler for picture tutorial on how to vote:

For more info on how to vote, please refer to Arimfe's post below.
Old 2006-10-01, 11:43   Link #3
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Originally Posted by Arimfe

----

Remember the link above for the group 1 voting thread Kinny Riddle linked to is only valid for group 1 and only valid today. The other groups gets their own threads at later dates.

So, "How do I vote?"

Scroll back to to the first post, Kinny Riddle put up pictures that are much easier to read than these instructions. In case you still have unanswered questions or want a new headache go ahead and read below.

It's not difficult to vote once you know the steps. You need to reserve a voting code which takes about 2 hours, and each thread gets 22 hours before voting closes (Sometimes they also close when the thread gets too big).
And some of you might not be able to vote because some areas has already been banned I think (But you can still post pictures or ascii art to influence the poll and support your character).

Quote:
NOTE that before voting, make sure your browser can read Japanese characters properly. Go here: http://info.2ch.net/before.html

Look for some of the Japanese characters, if your browser shows something like this: http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2963/correctsv1.png
Then you are good and ready to vote. Your browser can read Japanese characters properly.

But if you get something like this: http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2...correctkr3.png
Then it means you don't have the browser set properly for the characters.

Instructions for how to fix this are here (Thanks to Vexx for the link): http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...0&page=64#1279

Here are the instructions I mixed together from ando's posts in the original thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ando
1. Go to http://banana236.maido3.com/~bs5114/a06/ and get a code. The code will take 1-2 hours to generate.

When you visit http://banana236.maido3.com/~bs5114/a06/, you'll see:
Quote:
アニメ最萌トーナメント2006投票コード発行所はこちら <-link
※この先に進めない方はRefererを取得する設定にしてください
※携帯で「携帯電話情報を送信しますか?」などと聞かれた際は、「はい」としてください
Click the link in that page, and reservation of the code is done. Then reload the page at the time shown in the page, and get the code. The time is Japan Standard Time.

(The time shown is hidden down at the bottom. There are 2 numbers at the bottom, the first is hour digits, then next to it is some funny symbol, and next to that symbol is the minutes digits. It may be difficult to spot but it can look like this: 14時58 or this 2時58 or this 20時58 etc. Remember to convert it to your own timezone)

In short, go to code webpage, wait 2-3 hours, reload webpage, and your code should appear somewhere in the bottom.
(This is the lazy method, if you are in a hurry then it's best to calculate the time shown at the bottom via Kinny Riddle's link: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=248)

Yet another way to calculate the time before reloading, this is probably the easiest since all you need to do is a bit of subtraction math (Thanks to Kinny Riddle): http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1233

2. Take the code (like [[A0000-animemoe-06]]) and post it with your moe character parenthesized with "<<" ">>". You have to wite a character's name in exact Japanese spelling. You are recommended to copy and paste Japanese spelling from the lists of participants in Kinny Riddle's recent posts. He will usually post who is who in both English and Japanese. For example:
Spoiler:

"Where to post?"
Look for the most recent posts in this thread, Kinny Riddle or someone else may have linked to the most recent voting threads.
If not then you can go to the original thread and look for ando's most recent links to the voting threads:http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...stpost&t=33798

Alternatively you can find the threads yourself, instructions are at the NOTE below outside this quote.

The voting threads can look a bit messy but just scroll down to the bottom and you can post your message.
There's an OK button, a box to write name, a box to write email (both are just above the big white message input box).
First time you post, it might redirect you to another page, but there should be a big button there too, just click that and you are done.

3. It's recommended that you also post ascii art or link to pictures, wallpapers etc. under your votes, but it isn't necessary.

Now that we are in the finals, you can only vote 1 character per group each day!
This means if there are 3 groups up for voting on a certain date, then you can vote 3 characters. But remember, ONLY 1 character per group!

Another example where you vote 3 characters:
Quote:
[[Random code-animemoe-06]]
<<カレハ@SHUFFLE!>>
<<フミ・ヒメノ@舞-乙HiME>>
<<尾久崎晶@舞-乙HiME>>

blablabla, super moe wallpaper: www."¤¤#"#51.com
You must use your single code for all the characters you intend to vote.
The code expires after 1 use so you have to generate new code if you participate in new voting the next days.
Maybe they have bots scanning, maybe they don't, so its best to write just EXACTLY like in the examples to make it easier for them.

How to find newest voting threads yourself:

NOTE: Sometimes the voting threads get locked. This is when the whole thread reach above 500 KB in size (they might also possibly close when thread has reached 1000 posts). You can check how many (KB) Kilobytes the thread has reached by looking for the red number at the bottom in each voting thread.

Unfortunately you might bump into this problem once in a while. There's not much we can do about it since we can't always be around to update the links and instructions.

So if you can't vote because the thread is locked, look for a link to a new thread.

Go here: http://etc4.2ch.net/vote/subback.html
There will be a bunch of links.
Press ctrl+F
Search with the keyword "Round"

You will find links named like:
2: アニメ最萌トーナメント2006 投票スレRound82 (277)
or
23: アニメ最萌トーナメント2006 投票スレRound80 (1001
or
something similar. But always choose the one with highest round number. That way you can always find the latest voting threads.

ps.
I have edited ando's posts a bit, if any of this is wrong it's my fault, so if someone wants this post edited, just let me know and I'll fix it.
Old 2006-10-01, 12:06   Link #4
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

It seems common sense have prevailed. Yes, sometimes forum rules have to be enforced, but when it gets in the way of "positive passion" for what is good about anime, then discretion ought to be taken. - That's my view, anyway. Thanks to everyone for their support during this unexpected turn of events.

I have no problems with the new rules above, but I won't let my thread die so easily without a good reason.

If you want to engage in campaigning, then I redirect you to this site.
http://synchroom.wikispaces.com/SaiMoe2006
This thread will now deal solely with coverage of the entries, results, and their subsequent discussion.

Anyway, without much further ado, here are the results.

Kyon's Sister's run has been ended by Eri, she actually had more votes total, but lost eventually due to an equally higher amount of invalid votes.

Nanoha also managed to see off the challenge from Aika to set up an all Nanoha clash in Block B.

Spoiler for Oct 1st results:

Spoiler for Round 4 Blocks A and B:

http://saimoe2006.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cd3.txt

Spoiler for Oct 2nd entries:

Two interesting clashes today, with the all Rozen clash between Suigintou and Suiseiseki today, and Kazumi from Shakugan no Shana will face off with Chikaru from Strawberry Panic, both series with serious "mojo", as a poster to this thread would put it.

Code generator
http://banana236.maido3.com/~bs5114/a06/

Current voting thread
http://etc4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/vote/1159719204/

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2006-10-01 at 12:18.
Old 2006-10-01, 12:29   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
No Image campaigning.
Do not create a post with an image or collage representation of a campaign poster. In other words: a PhotoShopped image of the character you want people to vote for with “vote for” text added to it.
I never included the words "vote for" in my kitty strip, and yet, I no longer fell like posting them anymore.

Quote:
You can, however, include an image with your discussion. If you want to visually support the character you’re voting for then please do so in the context of your original discussion
Hmmmm.......

Anyway, shame to see Kyon's sister go. Thats another one of my favorites that gets kicked out of the tournament.

She still had a great performance though, and I am sure that more than one person were surprised to see her get this far.
Old 2006-10-01, 12:29   Link #6
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

I think Eri>Imouto is the 2nd contest this tournament where the imbalance of invalid codes was enough to reverse the outcome. Nanoha was going to win anyway, but she won by less than I expected.

Eri 1293 - 72 invalid = 1221
Imouto 1325 - 238 invalid = 1293

Nanoha: 1427 - 273 invalid = 1154
Aika: 1100 - 65 invalid = 1035

Congratulations to the winners. I'm really looking forward to Nanoha-Fate. Nanoha will win, but at least Fate gets her shot, as opposed to last year's close 1st round loss. And of course I'll be rooting for the green-haired girl in the other contest.

Today I'll just be a front-runner and vote for the ones I think will win: Suiseiseki and Chikaru. Desu-meme is bigger than Junk-meme. And there's always room for a yuri loving army

Last edited by Agent86; 2006-10-01 at 13:21. Reason: Removing quotes, and references to other posts & places, because I'm not sure I'm allowed to do either.
Old 2006-10-01, 12:35   Link #7
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
A possible place for campaigning would be the discussion page on my Wiki (you only need an account in Wikispaces to post comments, no need to get membership to the Wiki itself). Alternatively, we can set up an LJcommunity with public write/access and dump all campaigning there (in essence, this neatly sets up a 'thread' for each day's matchups). There may be other solutions too.

If we do use my Wiki: I can tolerate simple "vote this chara!" posts and (externally linked) image floods (would be easier on the eyes if they were all links instead), but flamebait and degrading comments will be wiped without trace or warning.

As for the latest results: mmm impressive that everyone again broke the 1000+ barrier even with fake votes. Does anyone have the exact number of invalid votes? I think Imouto had 300+ invalids.

Edit: Ah, thanks Agent86 - Nanoha got even more invalids I see. I presume there was an ASCII flood to bring that about then.

Btw, Chikaru never got involved in Yuri (at least in the anime) - what she did was set up the equivalent of a non-molesting SOS-dan over there ^^;; Chikaru, whom the StoPani legion can unite with Discipline under... I wonder what Kazumi will bring to the fight to face this medium-sized Elite army.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2006-10-01, 12:51   Link #8
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

The climb in invalid votes yesterday for Imouto and Nanoha is so slow and steady that it looks like it was just one or two people doing it. The graphs even plateau at the same time - did he/they go to lunch then?

I'll just amend my prediction to say that "There's always room for a yuri-loving army."

Last edited by Agent86; 2006-10-01 at 13:23. Reason: Remove quotes, outside references, and thanks.
Old 2006-10-01, 12:52   Link #9
Pastel
For the Future

Are the results posted in the vote thread itself (or some other unspecified place) before it goes onto the charts of the '06 page? Without Kinny's great daily post for the first time, I'd been camping 2ch and the tourney chart since 0:00 but couldn't find scrap -- even now.

I'll vote for Chikaru today. She's easily my favorite Strawberry Panic character going by personality; you can't deny she resembles a certain brigade leader, only except with common sense and a level head. For the other, it's Suiseiseki ~です

(This thread is like a patch of landmines. I think I just stepped on one in this postscript itself.)
Old 2006-10-01, 12:56   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
Imouto 1325 - 238 invalid = 1087

whow i guess imouto fans were really desprite but it is also surprising to see how many fake votes nanoha got as well...

as for today...not much interest in block C1 but D1 is the big bomb
junk vs desu...sparks as gona fly...my bet would be on gin (yea im a gin lover) but its gona be really close imo...gambatte!!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-01, 12:58   Link #11
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

The results get posted first in the voting thread, 5-10 minutes after the voting deadline.

Last edited by Agent86; 2006-10-01 at 13:24. Reason: Remove quotes.
Old 2006-10-01, 13:01   Link #12
Pastel
For the Future

Quote:
The results get posted first in the voting thread, 5-10 minutes after the voting deadline.
OH, alright I wrongly assumed that those things were locked and gone after a thousand.
Old 2006-10-01, 13:07   Link #13
otacu
Flag forever

Again massive fake votes to scare away the opponents... this time didn't work.
Old 2006-10-01, 13:07   Link #14
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Aww, there goes my great upset for the tournement. I would have loved to see Kyon's Sister advance just because for the sole fact she didnt even have name listed lol...Just Kyon's sister
Old 2006-10-01, 13:38   Link #15
[tCi]
Marked for deletion (old)

Yo! Here are the new posters following yesterdays battles:

Both matches should be quite exciting! As for today's matches, may the best woman win. See ya next time!

Edit: Approval Given.

Last edited by [tCi]; 2006-10-01 at 15:44.
Old 2006-10-01, 14:30   Link #16
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
First, about the Eri vs Kyon's sister. It was interesting to see how the upperhand often changed: for one time it was Eri, then it was imouto. To be honest it was quite exciting to follow, about as much as Mikuru vs Yakumo or Mion vs Souseiseki.
I was fine with whoever win it. With the defeat of Kyon's sister, there goes the chances of the MoHS fanbase to see at most two characters making it to the best of 8.
I congratulate both Eri and Kyon's sister to have fought a harsh battle until the end.

As for Nanoha vs Aika, I personally never doubted the Nanoha's chances, while Aika is very "moé" on her own, it just cannot beat the burning emotion that made me shake when Yukari Tamura delivered the famous White Devil lines. It was that heart blowing.

Now about today, let me tell you, I've seen little of Rozen Maiden, I just caught on the wagon because I had free time, free hd space and there were a nice french subs torrent. So I cannot comment that much about Suigin Tou and Suiseiseki. I'll still feel bad for their next opponent (Alice or Becky).

On to Kazumi versus Chikaru. Kazumi have shown some bits of courage, especially against Shana when she told her she'll never give up on Yuuji. That's plus points for me, she have the "short busty girl moè" going on her, her out of character acts in Shanatan are superb.
Now, I'll just talk about Chikaru. Chikaru is awesome. She is just like a mix of Haruhi Suzumiya with a presence that could be compared to Freddie from Cromartie Highschool. She could just stand still, have her own theme while she is on-screen, ans she'll be still awesome. But Chikaru is one of those characters we wish she have more screentime or her own spin-off series. I love a lot of her antics, her costume club, her underlings, her presence as Carmen, her playing with puppets and her big sister aura. She look like she is doing something behind the scenes, but she doesn't come as bothersome as Shion. I just love Chikaru.
Old 2006-10-01, 17:42   Link #17
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

today's match is definitely going to be intense. The RM faction deciding on who to advance to division final afterall...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-01, 17:44   Link #18
Aaeru
Simoun Sibylla

Quote:
Nanoha was going to win anyway, but she won by less than I expected.
I agree. Much as I like "Suteki na Nakimushi-san" and the undines from Aria in general, I was convinced that Nanoha was going walk all over Aika. Perhaps this is the beginning of a reactionary trend? It would not be surprising that some of the voters reject having an incumbent winner on non-specific grounds, and they're starting to see Nanoha as a threat.
Old 2006-10-01, 17:52   Link #19
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

As I stared into the air towards Japan these numbers came to me in a vision, along with some names.

327 Chikaru
243 Kazumi

351 Suiseiseki
301 Suigintou

I told myself that it would be nonsensical to trust in numbers from a vision.
Old 2006-10-01, 18:17   Link #20
Bloodseeker

Quote:
I think Eri>Imouto is the 2nd contest this tournament where the imbalance of invalid codes was enough to reverse the outcome. Nanoha was going to win anyway, but she won by less than I expected.

Imouto 1325 - 238 invalid = 1293

Congratulations to the winners. I'm really looking forward to Nanoha-Fate. Nanoha will win, but at least Fate gets her shot, as opposed to last year's close 1st round loss. And of course I'll be rooting for the green-haired girl in the other contest.

Today I'll just be a front-runner and vote for the ones I think will win: Suiseiseki and Chikaru. Desu-meme is bigger than Junk-meme. And there's always room for a yuri loving army
Yay! Kyon's sister is out! *serves various kinds of alcohol, chips, and dip in celebration*

I hope that Fate beats Nanoha this year... her attacks are infinitely cooler, and both her character design and attitude are cuter. (and her grown up form is hotter)

I'll obviously be voting for Mion, since she's my favorite Higurashi character overall, but I won't be too upset if she looses, seeing as how she'll be losing to a hot character at least.

I don't have any real interest in today's matches...
Closed Thread