AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-24, 10:50   Link #261
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I am of the opinion that Nagisa can only ever sound like Nakahara Mai.
Old 2010-08-24, 15:50   Link #262
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
What I noticed in the dub was that they changed the name of the characters? Like if you watched Cardcaptor Sakura, that they made some small/large changes in the names. Or did I just mishear this and they din't change the name at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
They didn't.

Their pronunciations were just westernised.

weirdly.

like ko-to-mi

became koe-toe-mi

lulz.
I think it was the american voice actors that did the "mishearing." They hear the pronunciations differently than some of us more accustomed to Japanese names. The pronunciation for Nagisa was pretty bad. Na-GEE-sa, that one hurt me the most.

Made me face-desk multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I am of the opinion that Nagisa can only ever sound like Nakahara Mai.
Indubitably, I completely agree.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-08-24, 16:03   Link #263
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I think it was the american voice actors that did the "mishearing." They hear the pronunciations differently than some of us more accustomed to Japanese names. The pronunciation for Nagisa was pretty bad. Na-GEE-sa, that one hurt me the most.

Made me face-desk multiple times.
Well they need to hear more Japanese names first, then go and make a dub... I was about to do that same thing myself..
Old 2010-08-25, 05:09   Link #264
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Seriously, I think dub companies need to start hiring teenagers to voice teenagers, instead of making thirtysomethings speak in a horrible fakey falsetto.
They can't due to the limits on the hours that teens can work (they had that problem when figuring out whom the should get to voice Nakahito in steel angel Kurumi which is why they got Kira Vincent-Davis to voice him) which is why I said Carrie Savage would've done a better job since she can do that kind of voicing correctly.
Old 2010-08-25, 09:25   Link #265
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Ugh it is fairly common in dubs for the voice actors to stress the wrong syllables... and the pronunciation of Nagisa's name is just... wrong.

Edit: in regard to teenage voice actors, 18 is still a teen, but can legally work full-time. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 2010-08-26, 12:57   Link #266
ChildrenOfTheMind

I agree the only really bad english actors in clannad were for Kyou and Tomoya. Kyou sounds like a man when she laughs and Tomoya sounds like he's 40.
Old 2010-08-26, 16:06   Link #267
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenOfTheMind View Post
I agree the only really bad english actors in clannad were for Kyou and Tomoya. Kyou sounds like a man when she laughs and Tomoya sounds like he's 40.
Why must dubs be really disturbing just from that, I can never really understand how they can just make those characters sound way to older/put a manly voice in those characters.
Old 2010-08-28, 00:01   Link #268
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Seriously, dubs need to stop trying to voice small Japanese high school girls with soft voices using large, middle-aged American/Canadian women speaking with ridiculous falsettos.

FIND A FIFTEEN YEAR OLD TO DO IT. UGH.
Idk man, it's kind of sexy some times when older women do the voices for teenage girls in anime. Asuka's VA in EoE comes to mind immediately. Didn't work here at all, though.

On the flipside, after seeing The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in English (best dub ever, voices matched the lip movements perfectly, flawless emotional transition, A+++), I'm actually quite fond of the idea of hiring more teenagers to do voice acting. Only problem there is that the overall quality might be lower and getting around school and personal life would be a hassle. We could go with 18 year olds and other young adults, but the same issue would probably follow.

I imagine they have a tough enough time as is finding people other than those who have made a dedicated career out of it; I don't think they're in any rush to sift through a bunch of inexperienced whelps who can't portray emotion or emphasis to save their lives.
Old 2010-08-28, 01:48   Link #269
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Ugh it is fairly common in dubs for the voice actors to stress the wrong syllables... and the pronunciation of Nagisa's name is just... wrong.

Edit: in regard to teenage voice actors, 18 is still a teen, but can legally work full-time. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
An 18 year old would have relatively little experience in voice acting, I'd much rather an experienced, professional voice actor than a younger one.
Old 2010-08-28, 01:50   Link #270
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
An 18 year old would have relatively little experience in voice acting, I'd much rather an experienced, professional voice actor than a younger one.
Well that explains the dubbing of Cardcaptor Sakura, where they made a 8 year old girl sound like a 16-18 year old teenager, strange ...

But I agree with your opinion on having someone that is more experienced, but you may be surprised, there are some people that can really give you a surprise if you check closely.
Old 2010-08-28, 12:37   Link #271
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
I'd rather have an inexperienced shitty voice actress who actually is a teenager as opposed to an inexperienced shitty voice actress who is in her thirties.

Other than some big-budget films and Studio Ghibli stuff, no dub uses experienced or skilled voice actors. They use low-rent unknowns who can't get any other jobs, because that's the reality of anime voice acting in the West. It pays really shitty.

If you're a career voice actor in the western world, it is generally assumed (by casting companies and other actors) that you're a shitty actor who can't get a real acting job. And in the entertainment industry, your reputation is important, so good actors won't do voice acting unless it pays well (like commercial/ad work and narration jobs).

It's different in Japan. There's not a stigma on this kind of work there, so you naturally get better talent.

And seriously, I don't even want to think about Asuka's voice actress. My brain is still permanently scarred from seeing the convention photos of that shriveled-up old hag dressed in the NGE school uniform...
Old 2010-08-28, 12:42   Link #272
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Oh no, I don't think she's attractive either...but her voice acting is amazing and it made Asuka seem pretty fucking hot for a 14 year-old.
Old 2010-08-28, 13:01   Link #273
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I don't like NGE's dub (I'm not even really fond of the original voice acting either) but I admit that woman did a good job with Asuka.
Old 2010-08-28, 13:11   Link #274
hinakatbklyn

Professional / Inexperienced, Teen / Adult, doesn't matter to me. If their voice matches the character, I would be OK with the choice of voice actor. The only one I thought didn't match in Clannad (by alot) was Kyou. Everyone else, I could live with.

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2010-08-28 at 13:51. Reason: I misinterpreted what was being said. I think Asuka's VA is perfect as well.
Old 2010-08-28, 13:26   Link #275
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

What? Nobody's talking about changing her VA. She's perfect.

Just watch this.
Old 2010-08-28, 16:39   Link #276
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
What? Nobody's talking about changing her VA. She's perfect.

Just watch this.
That voice acting is perfect....

Also on the dubbing VA part, I cannot really live with Kyou's voice actor... Sounds completely different.. I can somewhat live with Ryou and Nagisa's VA, possibly Tomoya. But the Kotomi screaming part was awkward.
Old 2010-09-03, 00:48   Link #277
cyberdemon

yay i finally got the dvds , Only took 3 weeks of waiting for it to come in
Old 2010-09-03, 16:48   Link #278
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
yay i finally got the dvds , Only took 3 weeks of waiting for it to come in
Wait, the dvd for the subs? Or the dvd for the dubs? o.o
Old 2010-09-05, 12:23   Link #279
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Wait, the dvd for the subs? Or the dvd for the dubs? o.o
dvd for the dubs. Was on backorder for 2 weeks and then another week for shipping. -.-
Old 2010-09-05, 14:30   Link #280
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
dvd for the dubs. Was on backorder for 2 weeks and then another week for shipping. -.-
I never noticed they even had a dvd for dubs... Let alone even knew the dubs were official...
Closed Thread